From: Yrrah-a...@aolm.invalid (Yrrah)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: Ubuntu Cinnamon vs Linux Mint Debian Edition
Sender: Yrrah <Yrrah-aolm@aolm.invalid>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 13:57:57 +0200
 by: Yrrah - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 11:57 UTC

x-posted: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.ubuntu

"This week we begin with a side-by-side look at Linux Mint's Debian
Edition running the Cinnamon desktop along with Ubuntu Cinnamon."

"(...) I'm all in favour of hobby projects, building something for the
educational aspect, and producing similar projects with different
philosophies. In this specific case though, I do find myself wondering
what the motivation is for creating and maintaining Ubuntu Cinnamon as
an official flavour of Ubuntu. Linux Mint is basically Ubuntu (or
Debian, depending on the edition) with the Cinnamon desktop, some
custom utilities, and some added polish. Mint has been a user
friendly, capable member of the Debian/Ubuntu family for over a decade
and a go-to distribution for people who want a beginner friendly
experience.(...)
Linux Mint 6 'Debian Edition' is another solid release from the Mint
project with a lot of polish and friendly touches put into it. Ubuntu
Cinnamon 23.10 offers the usual, friendly Ubuntu base, but (apart from
looking nice) doesn't manage to offer a particularly good experience
with the Cinnamon desktop."
More:
http://distrowatch.org/weekly.php?issue=20231023#ubuntucinnamon

Well, I suppose that settles it then.

Yrrah

Re: Ubuntu Cinnamon vs Linux Mint Debian Edition

<uh5p2r$349am$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6983&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6983

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: Ubuntu Cinnamon vs Linux Mint Debian Edition
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 08:31:23 -0400
 by: Big Al - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 12:31 UTC

On 10/23/23 07:57 AM, this is what Yrrah wrote:
> x-posted: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
>
> "This week we begin with a side-by-side look at Linux Mint's Debian
> Edition running the Cinnamon desktop along with Ubuntu Cinnamon."
>
> "(...) I'm all in favour of hobby projects, building something for the
> educational aspect, and producing similar projects with different
> philosophies. In this specific case though, I do find myself wondering
> what the motivation is for creating and maintaining Ubuntu Cinnamon as
> an official flavour of Ubuntu. Linux Mint is basically Ubuntu (or
> Debian, depending on the edition) with the Cinnamon desktop, some
> custom utilities, and some added polish. Mint has been a user
> friendly, capable member of the Debian/Ubuntu family for over a decade
> and a go-to distribution for people who want a beginner friendly
> experience.(...)
> Linux Mint 6 'Debian Edition' is another solid release from the Mint
> project with a lot of polish and friendly touches put into it. Ubuntu
> Cinnamon 23.10 offers the usual, friendly Ubuntu base, but (apart from
> looking nice) doesn't manage to offer a particularly good experience
> with the Cinnamon desktop."
> More:
> http://distrowatch.org/weekly.php?issue=20231023#ubuntucinnamon
>
> Well, I suppose that settles it then.
>
> Yrrah

Just my thoughts:

I loaded LMDE 6 Cinnamon a few weeks ago for testing. The rationale that one day Mint may not want to stay with Ubuntu
as the 'engine' and go to Debian was an interesting idea to me.
I found very little difference on the surface.

I even dump in my latest Thunderbird and Firefox profiles so literally I am up and running.

Bottom line I don't know which system I'm running. It's really worth a test run for any Linux Mint user. Pop open a
VM! I didn't look at what other flavors if any are available, I just wanted Cinnamon, I know tooooo much about it. No
need to teach an old dog new tricks.
--
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon
Al

Re: Ubuntu Cinnamon vs Linux Mint Debian Edition

<kpnmt4Fg6asU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6984&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6984

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 09:56:02 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 16:56 UTC

Yrrah wrote:
> x-posted: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
>
> "This week we begin with a side-by-side look at Linux Mint's Debian
> Edition running the Cinnamon desktop along with Ubuntu Cinnamon."

Transparency: I'm a big fan of LM and its extras, I'm not a fan of some
of Ub's decisions such as Snap and particularly not its flagship Gnome,
so I would be somewhat biased in my view of his comparison, but some of
the result was 'predictable'.

LMDE is based on Deb *stable*. Ub is based on Deb *testing* plus
tweaked into Ub repo/s. Doh. I wonder which is going to be more
stable. kernel 6.5 vs 6.1

LM incl DE is all about making its desktops 'similarly' polished based
on the fact that they have dropped anything that isn't based on gtk's
toolkits and that LM Cinnamon 'polish' of the flagship LM Cinnamon is
'transferred' to the LMDE which has /only/ the Cinn DE.

So, in a sense, in a half-hearted 'defense' of the Ub Cinn 'team', it
isn't' /exactly/ a fair comparison and we could predict that they would
come up short.

I also find that 'bloat' in the Ub release 'unnecessary' and unwanted:
LMDE 2.5G UbCinn 5.9G.

--
Mike Easter