%DCL-MEM-BAD, bad memory VMS-F-PDGERS, pudding between the ears

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Free Game: Postal 2

SubjectAuthor
* Free Game: Postal 2Spalls Hurgenson
+* Re: Free Game: Postal 2Ant
|`* Re: Free Game: Postal 2Dimensional Traveler
| `- Re: Free Game: Postal 2Ant
+- Re: Free Game: Postal 2JAB
`* Re: Free Game: Postal 2PW
 `- Re: Free Game: Postal 2Dimensional Traveler

1
Free Game: Postal 2

<vb716hdiksphput985bhdufms88iln7khs@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6989&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6989

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Free Game: Postal 2
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 20:08:42 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 00:08 UTC

I feel dirty for sharing this....

.... but, in celebration of the imminent release of "Postal 4", GOG is
offering "Postal 2" for free.
https://www.gog.com/en/game/postal_2

(If they're releasing "Postal 4", why are they giving away "Postal 2"
instead of "Postal 3"? Because we don't talk about "Postal 3".)

I'm not really a fan of the Postal series. The humor -- poo jokes and
poorly-aged stereotypes -- is just too coarse and sophomoric for my
tastes, and the whole franchise smacks of someone trying too hard to
be offensive to, you know, actually be offensive. There's no subtly,
no wit to any of it; it's low-brow just for the sake of being low-brow
in the hopes that somebody will throw a fit about it.

The gameplay isn't particularly notable either; the original "Postal"
was an average but unexciting shooter that - lacking its over-the-top
violence - would have been forgotten within weeks of its release.
"Postal 2" was a bit more imaginative; it's open world was - for its
time - still somewhat novel and it was fun to muck around in the world
just to see how the AI would react. "Postal 4" is a (very) slight
evolution of that paradigm, but its been surpassed by so many other,
better games that - again - the core attraction to the game is its
dull-witted comedy.

But comedy is subjective, and apparently there are enough people who
like that sort of thing to keep the developers making new sequels.
Hence, "Postal 4", and this give-away.

This isn't the first time "Postal 2" has been offered as a freebie --
it isn't even the first time it's been free on GOG -- so it's quite
possible you already have this game. But if you don't -- and the game
appeals to you (you twisted weirdo ;-), hop on over to their website
and claim it before its gone.

Re: Free Game: Postal 2

<-OKdnYuqFJmiKP3_nZ2dnUU7-RGdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6990&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6990

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Subject: Re: Free Game: Postal 2
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 20:37:03 -0500
 by: Ant - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 01:37 UTC

You beat me. :D

--
It's high hump day! Quiet week so far. Is it still spring break? The Batman was overrated!
| |o o| |

Re: Free Game: Postal 2

<t3qlcc$4c2$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6991&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6991

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 21:08:48 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 04:08 UTC

On 4/20/2022 6:37 PM, Ant wrote:
> You beat me. :D

He decided to not wait until Thursday. :P

> Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I feel dirty for sharing this....
>
>> ... but, in celebration of the imminent release of "Postal 4", GOG is
>> offering "Postal 2" for free.
>> https://www.gog.com/en/game/postal_2
>
>> (If they're releasing "Postal 4", why are they giving away "Postal 2"
>> instead of "Postal 3"? Because we don't talk about "Postal 3".)
>
>> I'm not really a fan of the Postal series. The humor -- poo jokes and
>> poorly-aged stereotypes -- is just too coarse and sophomoric for my
>> tastes, and the whole franchise smacks of someone trying too hard to
>> be offensive to, you know, actually be offensive. There's no subtly,
>> no wit to any of it; it's low-brow just for the sake of being low-brow
>> in the hopes that somebody will throw a fit about it.
>
>> The gameplay isn't particularly notable either; the original "Postal"
>> was an average but unexciting shooter that - lacking its over-the-top
>> violence - would have been forgotten within weeks of its release.
>> "Postal 2" was a bit more imaginative; it's open world was - for its
>> time - still somewhat novel and it was fun to muck around in the world
>> just to see how the AI would react. "Postal 4" is a (very) slight
>> evolution of that paradigm, but its been surpassed by so many other,
>> better games that - again - the core attraction to the game is its
>> dull-witted comedy.
>
>> But comedy is subjective, and apparently there are enough people who
>> like that sort of thing to keep the developers making new sequels.
>> Hence, "Postal 4", and this give-away.
>
>> This isn't the first time "Postal 2" has been offered as a freebie --
>> it isn't even the first time it's been free on GOG -- so it's quite
>> possible you already have this game. But if you don't -- and the game
>> appeals to you (you twisted weirdo ;-), hop on over to their website
>> and claim it before its gone.

dirty old man.

Re: Free Game: Postal 2

<dL2dnZ6PIol3Qv3_nZ2dnUU7-Y2dnZ2d@earthlink.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6992&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6992

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 23:39:06 -0500
 by: Ant - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 04:39 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
> On 4/20/2022 6:37 PM, Ant wrote:
> > You beat me. :D
> >
> He decided to not wait until Thursday. :P

:b
--
It's high hump day! Quiet week so far. Is it still spring break? The Batman was overrated!
| |o o| |
\ _ /
( )

Re: Free Game: Postal 2

<t3r451$2rr$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6994&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6994

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 09:20:47 +0100
 by: JAB - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 08:20 UTC

On 21/04/2022 01:08, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> I feel dirty for sharing this....
>
> ... but, in celebration of the imminent release of "Postal 4", GOG is
> offering "Postal 2" for free.
> https://www.gog.com/en/game/postal_2
>
> (If they're releasing "Postal 4", why are they giving away "Postal 2"
> instead of "Postal 3"? Because we don't talk about "Postal 3".)
>
> I'm not really a fan of the Postal series. The humor -- poo jokes and
> poorly-aged stereotypes -- is just too coarse and sophomoric for my
> tastes, and the whole franchise smacks of someone trying too hard to
> be offensive to, you know, actually be offensive. There's no subtly,
> no wit to any of it; it's low-brow just for the sake of being low-brow
> in the hopes that somebody will throw a fit about it.
>
> The gameplay isn't particularly notable either; the original "Postal"
> was an average but unexciting shooter that - lacking its over-the-top
> violence - would have been forgotten within weeks of its release.
> "Postal 2" was a bit more imaginative; it's open world was - for its
> time - still somewhat novel and it was fun to muck around in the world
> just to see how the AI would react. "Postal 4" is a (very) slight
> evolution of that paradigm, but its been surpassed by so many other,
> better games that - again - the core attraction to the game is its
> dull-witted comedy.
>
> But comedy is subjective, and apparently there are enough people who
> like that sort of thing to keep the developers making new sequels.
> Hence, "Postal 4", and this give-away.
>
> This isn't the first time "Postal 2" has been offered as a freebie --
> it isn't even the first time it's been free on GOG -- so it's quite
> possible you already have this game. But if you don't -- and the game
> appeals to you (you twisted weirdo ;-), hop on over to their website
> and claim it before its gone.

I've not played any of the Postal games myself but they do sound as
though the humour is more just hoping to cause offensive for the sake of
it without having to back it up with any real wit.

As you say comedy is subjective and also part of it can be laughter
because something is offensive but you still need something underlying
it. Here in the UK for example, we have two famous comedians (Frankie
Boyle and Jimmy Carr) who have made a very good living out of it.
Personally I quite like them but the comedy still has more to it than
just being offensive for the sake of it.

Re: Free Game: Postal 2

<7f236hphrbiuhosr2lfc2eolepclt1banv@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6999&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6999

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 10:44:48 -0600
 by: PW - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 16:44 UTC

Hah!

I was just checking if any one posted this :-)

-pw

Re: Free Game: Postal 2

<t3sed5$p01$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7000&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7000

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 13:21:59 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 20:21 UTC

On 4/21/2022 9:44 AM, PW wrote:
> Hah!
>
> I was just checking if any one posted this :-)

Yup, someone already went Postal on you. :P

dirty old man.