A bug in the code is worth two in the documentation.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / What is the magic inherent in the F4 keyboard EXIT key?

SubjectAuthor
* What is the magic inherent in the F4 keyboard EXIT key?Michael
+* Re: What is the magic inherent in the F4 keyboard EXIT key?Stan Brown
|`- Re: What is the magic inherent in the F4 keyboard EXIT key?Andy Burns
+* Re: What is the magic inherent in the F4 keyboard EXIT key?Paul
|`* Re: What is the magic inherent in the F4 keyboard EXIT key?Michael
| +- Re: What is the magic inherent in the F4 keyboard EXIT key?Herbert Kleebauer
| +- Re: What is the magic inherent in the F4 keyboard EXIT key?Big Al
| `* Re: What is the magic inherent in the F4 keyboard EXIT key?Stan Brown
|  `* Re: What is the magic inherent in the F4 keyboard EXIT key?Ken Blake
|   `* Re: What is the magic inherent in the F4 keyboard EXIT key?AllanH
|    `- Re: What is the magic inherent in the F4 keyboard EXIT key?Ken Blake
`- Re: What is the magic inherent in the F4 keyboard EXIT key?Bucky Breeder

1
What is the magic inherent in the F4 keyboard EXIT key?

<tvgdei$7a6$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69910&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69910

From: mich...@spamcop.com (Michael)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.hardware
Subject: What is the magic inherent in the F4 keyboard EXIT key?
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 20:27:46 -0600
 by: Michael - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 02:27 UTC

I have an openvpn configuration directory containing a few config files.
100.1.2.1.ovpn
100.1.2.2.ovpn
100.1.2.3.ovpn

When I doubleclick on that 100.1.2.3.ovpn text file, I get connected to the
specified VPN server (here exemplified by 100.1.2.3) which works real nice.

Doubleclicking runs the openvpn client due to Windows file associations.
The resulting command window description says something like this
(look at the F4 entry).

[C:\openvpn\config\100.1.2.3.ovpn OpenVPN 2.5.8 F4:EXIT F1:USR1 F3:HUP]

All that works real nice.

But if I exit that VPN session any other way than to hit the F4 keyboard
key, it sometimes (but not always) hangs up and gets stuck in a sad state.

What's the magic of the F4 Windows keyboard key?

The reason I care is it's hard to find that F4 key sometimes and I'd rather
find an alternative way of killing the openvpn session without having to
hunt and peck for the specific F4 key (which is harder to hit on laptops).
--
[I filter out Google Groups posts so if I don't reply, that may be why.]

Re: What is the magic inherent in the F4 keyboard EXIT key?

<MPG.3e85614f692083299900a5@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69911&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69911

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 20:03:15 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 03:03 UTC

On Wed, 22 Mar 2023 20:27:46 -0600, Michael wrote:
> The resulting command window description says something like this
> (look at the F4 entry).
>
> [C:\openvpn\config\100.1.2.3.ovpn OpenVPN 2.5.8 F4:EXIT F1:USR1 F3:HUP]
>
> All that works real nice.
>
> But if I exit that VPN session any other way than to hit the F4 keyboard
> key, it sometimes (but not always) hangs up and gets stuck in a sad state.

Patient: "Doctor, Doctor, it hurts when I do this!"

Doctor: "Well, don't!"
> What's the magic of the F4 Windows keyboard key?
There is none. It's not a standard Windows shortcut, unlike Alt+F4
and (to a lesser extent) Ctrl+F4. Maybe there's an OpenVPN forum
where you can get answers?

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: What is the magic inherent in the F4 keyboard EXIT key?

<tvggem$vsrj$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69912&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69912

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.hardware
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 23:18:46 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 03:18 UTC

On 3/22/2023 10:27 PM, Michael wrote:
> I have an openvpn configuration directory containing a few config files.
> 100.1.2.1.ovpn
> 100.1.2.2.ovpn
> 100.1.2.3.ovpn
>
> When I doubleclick on that 100.1.2.3.ovpn text file, I get connected to the
> specified VPN server (here exemplified by 100.1.2.3) which works real nice.
>
> Doubleclicking runs the openvpn client due to Windows file associations.
> The resulting command window description says something like this
> (look at the F4 entry).
>
> [C:\openvpn\config\100.1.2.3.ovpn OpenVPN 2.5.8 F4:EXIT F1:USR1 F3:HUP]
>
> All that works real nice.
>
> But if I exit that VPN session any other way than to hit the F4 keyboard
> key, it sometimes (but not always) hangs up and gets stuck in a sad state.
>
> What's the magic of the F4 Windows keyboard key?
>
> The reason I care is it's hard to find that F4 key sometimes and I'd rather
> find an alternative way of killing the openvpn session without having to
> hunt and peck for the specific F4 key (which is harder to hit on laptops).

Keyboards mechanically, don't have a particular bias.

Most of the keys are in a matrix. 7x17 perhaps. 24 wires.
One direction are senders. The other direction are receivers.
That's enough for 119 keys.

In addition, the modifier keys are "private" and each gets
its own signal. It is not on the matrix. Ctrl, alt, shift,
might get separate wires. (These are things I learned when
I built my own keyboard, in the 80's.)

When a matrix contact is closed, the keyboard waits three
scan cycles, before declaring "he really did press the key".
This is the debounce interval, that takes the springy bounce
in the electrical contacts into account.

If the matrix pair is depressed for too long, it can cause
the auto-repeat sequence.

*******

Windows, uses alt-F4.

If you click within a program window, and press alt-F4,
that causes an exit from the program.

If you click on the desktop surface, and press alt-F4,
the shutdown menu is presented. This is real handy, when
a Windows "improvement", causes the shutdown controls
in some menu to fail to show up. The alt-F4 method
always seems to work.

Thus, we can conclude from this, that the program developer
sees that Windows does that with alt-F4, so the developer
decides that a "naked F4" will be the exit key.

That is the only significance. Imitation.

The F4 key can have other functions bound to it,
like on a laptop you may find additional control symbols
bound to the keys.

Paul

Paul

Re: What is the magic inherent in the F4 keyboard EXIT key?

<tvgjjr$29nd$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69914&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69914

From: mich...@spamcop.com (Michael)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.hardware
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 22:12:59 -0600
 by: Michael - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 04:12 UTC

On Wed, 22 Mar 2023 23:18:46 -0400, Paul wrote:

> Thus, we can conclude from this, that the program developer
> sees that Windows does that with alt-F4, so the developer
> decides that a "naked F4" will be the exit key.
>
> That is the only significance. Imitation.

Do you think I can map the F4 key (which I don't use for anything else) to
a key that I can more easily use (especially on the smaller laptops and
especially at night because my small laptop has no lights in the keys)?

I've tried other keys, like F3 and control+c which work to some extent but
which often hang up. I saw people asked the same question on the openvpn
forum and the developers were snotty (imho) telling them what's the problem
with using the F4 key. Get over it.

Otherwise, I guess I just have to get over it but at night on an unlit
keyboard (and especially laptops which require fn first) it's harder.
--
[I filter out Google Groups posts so if I don't reply, that may be why.]

Re: What is the magic inherent in the F4 keyboard EXIT key?

<k825tvF3fjhU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69916&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69916

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 05:21:04 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 05:21 UTC

Stan Brown wrote:

> Michael wrote:
>
>> What's the magic of the F4 Windows keyboard key?
>
> There is none.

Agreed, F4 is just a normal key, it's up to software to decide how it
reacts when it gets pressed/released.

Re: What is the magic inherent in the F4 keyboard EXIT key?

<tvh4rt$12utl$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69919&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69919

From: kle...@unibwm.de (Herbert Kleebauer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 10:07:09 +0100
 by: Herbert Kleebauer - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 09:07 UTC

On 23.03.2023 05:12, Michael wrote:

> Otherwise, I guess I just have to get over it but at night on an unlit
> keyboard (and especially laptops which require fn first) it's harder.

Why not use a hardware hack: just a drop of glue on the F4 key so
you can "feel" the key even in darkness.

Re: What is the magic inherent in the F4 keyboard EXIT key?

<tvheeb$14kgs$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69920&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69920

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.hardware
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 07:50:33 -0400
 by: Big Al - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 11:50 UTC

On 3/23/23 00:12, this is what Michael wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Mar 2023 23:18:46 -0400, Paul wrote:
>
>> Thus, we can conclude from this, that the program developer
>> sees that Windows does that with alt-F4, so the developer
>> decides that a "naked F4" will be the exit key.
>>
>> That is the only significance. Imitation.
>
> Do you think I can map the F4 key (which I don't use for anything else) to
> a key that I can more easily use (especially on the smaller laptops and
> especially at night because my small laptop has no lights in the keys)?
>
> I've tried other keys, like F3 and control+c which work to some extent but
> which often hang up. I saw people asked the same question on the openvpn
> forum and the developers were snotty (imho) telling them what's the problem
> with using the F4 key. Get over it.
>
> Otherwise, I guess I just have to get over it but at night on an unlit
> keyboard (and especially laptops which require fn first) it's harder.
There are usb clip on lights that you can get for a laptop.
https://www.amazon.com/i2-Gear-Dimmable-Flexible-Gooseneck/dp/B0BSG8ZTGS
Just one of may diff styles. Some even change colors & dim.
--
Al

Re: What is the magic inherent in the F4 keyboard EXIT key?

<MPG.3e860166cd3378549900a6@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69923&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69923

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.hardware
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 07:26:18 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 14:26 UTC

On Wed, 22 Mar 2023 22:12:59 -0600, Michael wrote:
> Do you think I can map the F4 key (which I don't use for anything else) to
> a key that I can more easily use (especially on the smaller laptops and
> especially at night because my small laptop has no lights in the keys)?

But of course. The free and well-regarded Autohotkey will do that.

https://www.autohotkey.com/

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: What is the magic inherent in the F4 keyboard EXIT key?

<XnsAFD0730C2FA3FOhmmmmmmm@85.12.62.254>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69929&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69929

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.hardware
From: Breeder_...@That's.my.name_Don't.wear.it.out (Bucky Breeder)
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 16:18:34 GMT
 by: Bucky Breeder - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 16:18 UTC

Michael <michael@spamcop.com> posted this via news:tvgdei$7a6$1
@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com:

> What's the magic of the F4 Windows keyboard key?

They had to put something on the key between F3 and F5, so after years of
collaberation, government approval processes, appropriate licensing, and
numberous polls, they decided to go with F4.

The people who got the Nobel Prize for that probably did not credit all the
dedicated specialists who contributed to the development of the concept, but
all of humanity has benefited greatly from their diligent efforts. Their
families and ancestors should be very proud of their contributions to the
advancement of all mankind.

--

I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^;

And *NO*, that is *NOT* a Jedi Light Saber I have in my pocket!

But that doesn't necessarily mean I'm happy to see you either.

Re: What is the magic inherent in the F4 keyboard EXIT key?

<6p7p1i5k29l89b1mcugbm9n6bae9nkd9tr@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69935&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69935

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.hardware
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 11:52:12 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 18:52 UTC

On Thu, 23 Mar 2023 07:26:18 -0700, Stan Brown
<the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>On Wed, 22 Mar 2023 22:12:59 -0600, Michael wrote:
>> Do you think I can map the F4 key (which I don't use for anything else) to
>> a key that I can more easily use (especially on the smaller laptops and
>> especially at night because my small laptop has no lights in the keys)?
>
>But of course. The free and well-regarded Autohotkey will do that.
>
>https://www.autohotkey.com/

I like Autohotkey a lot and use it extensively, but not for mapping
keys. For mapping keys, I use Sharpkeys, which I think is much easier
to use for that purpose.

https://sharpkeys.en.softonic.com/

Re: What is the magic inherent in the F4 keyboard EXIT key?

<tvicbj$19ibr$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69941&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69941

From: nos...@unokix.invalid (AllanH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 15:21:07 -0500
 by: AllanH - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 20:21 UTC

On 3/23/2023 1:52 PM, Ken Blake wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Mar 2023 07:26:18 -0700, Stan Brown
> <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 22 Mar 2023 22:12:59 -0600, Michael wrote:
>>> Do you think I can map the F4 key (which I don't use for anything else) to
>>> a key that I can more easily use (especially on the smaller laptops and
>>> especially at night because my small laptop has no lights in the keys)?
>>
>> But of course. The free and well-regarded Autohotkey will do that.
>>
>> https://www.autohotkey.com/
>

> I like Autohotkey a lot and use it extensively, but not for mapping
> keys. For mapping keys, I use Sharpkeys, which I think is much easier
> to use for that purpose.
>
> https://sharpkeys.en.softonic.com/

I use a much older program (no longer developed) for keyboard
customization - KeyTweak. I don't know if it works with Windows 11, but
if that doesn't matter, you may prefer it yourself.

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/keytweak.html

Re: What is the magic inherent in the F4 keyboard EXIT key?

<rfmr1ilo7orljt8bpao5ogfh6j20k155k0@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69987&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69987

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 10:17:24 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 17:17 UTC

On Thu, 23 Mar 2023 15:21:07 -0500, AllanH <nospam@unokix.invalid>
wrote:

>On 3/23/2023 1:52 PM, Ken Blake wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 23 Mar 2023 07:26:18 -0700, Stan Brown
>> <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>>> But of course. The free and well-regarded Autohotkey will do that.
>>>
>>> https://www.autohotkey.com/
>>

>> I like Autohotkey a lot and use it extensively, but not for mapping
>> keys. For mapping keys, I use Sharpkeys, which I think is much easier
>> to use for that purpose.
>>
>> https://sharpkeys.en.softonic.com/
>
>I use a much older program (no longer developed) for keyboard
>customization - KeyTweak. I don't know if it works with Windows 11, but
>if that doesn't matter, you may prefer it yourself.
>
>https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/keytweak.html

I just looked at that link. It appears to be much like Sharpkeys.

Also, I've already done all the remapping I want to do (turning off
Caps Lock and Insert, both of which I am liable to hit by mistake), so
unless another need comes up some day, I no longer really need any
such program.