BASIC is the Computer Science equivalent of `Scientific Creationism'.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Blue Mail for the PC and Android

SubjectAuthor
* Blue Mail for the PC and Androidmicky
+* Re: Blue Mail for the PC and AndroidThe Real Bev
|`- Re: Blue Mail for the PC and AndroidAndy Burnelli
+* Re: Blue Mail for the PC and AndroidAndy Burnelli
|`* Re: Blue Mail for the PC and AndroidJeff Layman
| `- Re: Blue Mail for the PC and AndroidAndy Burnelli
+* Re: Blue Mail for the PC and AndroidJoerg Lorenz
|+- Re: Blue Mail for the PC and AndroidChris Green
|`* Re: Blue Mail for the PC and AndroidJim the Geordie
| +* Re: Blue Mail for the PC and AndroidAndy Burnelli
| |`* Re: Blue Mail for the PC and AndroidJeff Layman
| | `- Re: Blue Mail for the PC and AndroidMinoru Osaka
| +- Re: Blue Mail for the PC and AndroidJoerg Lorenz
| `- Re: Blue Mail for the PC and AndroidThe Real Bev
+- Re: Blue Mail for the PC and AndroidPaul
`- Re: Blue Mail for the PC and AndroidKen Blake

1
Blue Mail for the PC and Android

<aaaq1ih0taei9fs5uue01odelpbuur3pm5@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69950&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69950

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows.11
Subject: Blue Mail for the PC and Android
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 00:39:12 -0400
 by: micky - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 04:39 UTC

Blue Mail for the PC.

Was: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.andrroid,alt.comp.os.windows.11

I've been using K-9 for email on my phone. it's good but it's not
perfect for me. A friend uses Blue Mail, and when I looked at it, it
works on the PC too!

Do any of you know or like Blue Mail?

So I installed it on the PC and for initial signing in, it wants my
Microsoft email, phone, or Skype account number. Huhh? When I tried
to give it a regular email address, it said it was incorrect!!

No other email program ever wanted that. In theory, it would connect
them to my Skype account where they might have recordings of my long
conversations with a friend (same friend). There's nothing shameful in
them, but why do they need a MS login at all?

Would this discourage you?

(It would also let me sign in with a GitHub account or an organization
that I'm working with!)

Re: Blue Mail for the PC and Android

<tvjdf8$1hrag$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69954&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69954

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows.11
Subject: Re: Blue Mail for the PC and Android
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 22:46:14 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 05:46 UTC

On 3/23/23 9:39 PM, micky wrote:
> Blue Mail for the PC.
>
> Was: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.andrroid,alt.comp.os.windows.11
>
> I've been using K-9 for email on my phone. it's good but it's not
> perfect for me. A friend uses Blue Mail, and when I looked at it, it
> works on the PC too!
>
> Do any of you know or like Blue Mail?

I started using it perhaps 5 years ago -- the gmail app seemed to insist
on pushing mail and I didn't want that -- I wanted it to download mail
only when I actually WANTED it, which was when I was on a trip. It
behaves beautifully and I have had no regrets at all. I have 4 accounts
on it, plus the unified account that it gives you that I don't use.

> So I installed it on the PC and for initial signing in, it wants my
> Microsoft email, phone, or Skype account number. Huhh? When I tried
> to give it a regular email address, it said it was incorrect!!

Maybe that's a windows thing. I can see why it would want your email
addresses, but not Skype. Since I signed up so long ago I don't
remember what it wanted. I've usee Thunderbird/linux (v.38) for mail
on my computer since it was Netscape .9 and see no reason to change.

> No other email program ever wanted that. In theory, it would connect
> them to my Skype account where they might have recordings of my long
> conversations with a friend (same friend). There's nothing shameful in
> them, but why do they need a MS login at all?
>
> Would this discourage you?

Is there a reason you need it on your PC? Unless I really want
something I won't give an app information about anything it doesn't
actually need to operate.

--
Cheers, Bev
(On going to war over religion:) "You're basically killing each other

Re: Blue Mail for the PC and Android

<tvjdlp$31flj$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69955&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69955

From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 05:50:01 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 05:50 UTC

micky wrote:

> No other email program ever wanted that.

I don't know about BlueMail micky, but I've been in touch with the
developer of FairMail (also the developer of NetGuard) who went to great
lengths, emotionally and programatically, to ensure we can log into Google
Accounts from Android without needing 2FA/2SV and by using only OAUth like
Thunderbird does (and presumably, soon, the Thunderbird K9mail variant).

Here are some URLs that will help you (and others) as one huuuuuuuuge
advantage of NOT using the GMail app on Android is that the GMail app will
_create_ an account on the Android phone (which is a horrid thing to do).
<https://email.faircode.eu/> (best privacy aware MUA for Android, IMHO)
<https://netguard.me/> (the only no-root free firewall & ad blocker hosts)

Android works _better_ without the Google Account assigned to the phone.
You just have to know which are the better clients to use than Google's.

FairMail is one of them.
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.faircode.email>
--
Fixed the non-existent newsgroup from alt.comp.os.windows.11 [sic].

Re: Blue Mail for the PC and Android

<tvjebc$31i8e$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69956&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69956

From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 06:01:32 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 06:01 UTC

The Real Bev wrote:

> Is there a reason you need it on your PC? Unless I really want
> something I won't give an app information about anything it doesn't
> actually need to operate.

I suspect most Windows users, even if they're on Android or iOS, use
Thunderbird to get their mail (even if they have a Google Account).
<https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/download/>

As for micky's issue with BlueMail, I don't use it and I won't even test
it, but I suspect there's this darn authorization issue to overcome.

I know Thunderbird overcame it with OAUth methods (which essentially pull
up a web browser, as I recall, to allow you to log in once to Google).

Marcel Bokhorst went crazy (emotionally and programmatically) about a year
ago when Google foisted 2FA/2SV on us without sufficient prior preparation,
and then, rather cleverly so, Google allowed the MUA developers like those
of K9Mail and FairMail to flounder until they found a way to do OAuth.

No matter what motive you apply to it, what happened was people couldn't
wait the months it took the MUA developers (other than Thunderbird) to
catch up, so they implemented the 2FA/2SV like sheep led to slaughter.

Months after Google implemented its Draconian rules, both K-9 Mail and Fair
Mail were able to get past Google's walled garden to use OAUth.

I suspect, but I don't know, that this authorization issue is what's
hanging up micky - but I'll let the others who know more than I do confirm
or deny that suspicion as user error is just as likely as subterfuge.
--
Fixed the alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows.11

Re: Blue Mail for the PC and Android

<tvjhlf$2gft5$2@solani.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69957&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69957

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows.11
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 07:57:50 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 06:57 UTC

Am 24.03.23 um 05:39 schrieb micky:
> Blue Mail for the PC.
>
> Was: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.andrroid,alt.comp.os.windows.11
>
> I've been using K-9 for email on my phone. it's good but it's not
> perfect for me. A friend uses Blue Mail, and when I looked at it, it
> works on the PC too!

I switched from K-9 to bluemail and then back to K-9 when bluemail ran
into a privacy issue a year or two ago.

I would never use it on a "real computer". There I want open source and
cross platform: That means Thunderbird.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Blue Mail for the PC and Android

<tvjlif$1j2mu$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69959&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69959

From: Jef...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 08:04:31 +0000
 by: Jeff Layman - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 08:04 UTC

On 24/03/2023 05:50, Andy Burnelli wrote:

> I don't know about BlueMail micky, but I've been in touch with the
> developer of FairMail

> FairMail is one of them.

Just FYI, and anyone else who's trying to look for it, it is
*FairEmail*, not "FairMail".
I use it with my Android phone.

--

Jeff

Re: Blue Mail for the PC and Android

<8h60fj-7c6n1.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69962&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69962

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows.11
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 09:19:04 +0000
 by: Chris Green - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 09:19 UTC

Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:
> Am 24.03.23 um 05:39 schrieb micky:
> > Blue Mail for the PC.
> >
> > Was: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.andrroid,alt.comp.os.windows.11
> >
> > I've been using K-9 for email on my phone. it's good but it's not
> > perfect for me. A friend uses Blue Mail, and when I looked at it, it
> > works on the PC too!
>
> I switched from K-9 to bluemail and then back to K-9 when bluemail ran
> into a privacy issue a year or two ago.
>
> I would never use it on a "real computer". There I want open source and
> cross platform: That means Thunderbird.

For what it's worth (not very much to all you GUI users I suspect) I
use mutt, a Linux command line/text mode mail program to manage my
mail.

When I'm away from home I simply use ssh to connect to my home system
(usually from my laptop) to read mail.

If I don't have my laptop and I do have my 'phone (doesn't happen very
often but does occasionally) then I use ssh from Termux on my 'phone
to read E-Mail.

Same program, same editor, same familiar environment whereever and
whenever I read mail.

--
Chris Green
ยท

Re: Blue Mail for the PC and Android

<MPG.3e87a13ab2a029ff98972b@news.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69969&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69969

From: jim...@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim the Geordie)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows.11
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 12:00:31 -0000
 by: Jim the Geordie - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 12:00 UTC

In article <tvjhlf$2gft5$2@solani.org>, hugybear@gmx.ch says...

> Am 24.03.23 um 05:39 schrieb micky:
> > Blue Mail for the PC.
> >
> > Was: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.andrroid,alt.comp.os.windows.11
> >
> > I've been using K-9 for email on my phone. it's good but it's not
> > perfect for me. A friend uses Blue Mail, and when I looked at it, it
> > works on the PC too!
>
> I switched from K-9 to bluemail and then back to K-9 when bluemail ran
> into a privacy issue a year or two ago.
>
> I would never use it on a "real computer". There I want open source and
> cross platform: That means Thunderbird.

Since when can you get Thunderbird on Android?

--
Jim the Geordie

Re: Blue Mail for the PC and Android

<tvk9dh$1menm$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69975&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69975

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows.11
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 09:43:12 -0400
 by: Paul - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 13:43 UTC

On 3/24/2023 12:39 AM, micky wrote:
> Blue Mail for the PC.
>
> Was: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.andrroid,alt.comp.os.windows.11
>
> I've been using K-9 for email on my phone. it's good but it's not
> perfect for me. A friend uses Blue Mail, and when I looked at it, it
> works on the PC too!
>
> Do any of you know or like Blue Mail?
>
> So I installed it on the PC and for initial signing in, it wants my
> Microsoft email, phone, or Skype account number. Huhh? When I tried
> to give it a regular email address, it said it was incorrect!!
>
> No other email program ever wanted that. In theory, it would connect
> them to my Skype account where they might have recordings of my long
> conversations with a friend (same friend). There's nothing shameful in
> them, but why do they need a MS login at all?
>
> Would this discourage you?
>

> (It would also let me sign in with a GitHub account or an organization
> that I'm working with!)

I gave it the keys to my house, and it feeds the dog when I'm away.
But I don't have a dog.

Paul

Re: Blue Mail for the PC and Android

<tvkb9m$34jq9$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69976&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69976

From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 14:15:34 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 14:15 UTC

Jeff Layman wrote:

>> FairMail is one of them.
>
> Just FYI, and anyone else who's trying to look for it, it is
> *FairEmail*, not "FairMail".
> I use it with my Android phone.

Thanks. I gave the link the first time I posted, as I generally go to the
extra trouble to dig up the links so others always benefit from my posts.

*FairEmail*, privacy aware email by Marcel Bokhorst, FairCode BV, FOSS
Free, ad free, gsf free, 4.6 star, 24.3K reviews, 500K+ Downloads
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.faircode.email>
<https://email.faircode.eu/>
<https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases>
<https://f-droid.org/en/packages/eu.faircode.email/>
<https://www.xda-developers.com/fairemail-email-app-privacy-conscious-android/>
<https://www.xda-developers.com/fairemail-open-source-privacy-friendly-email/>

It's important for me to state that some Google apps, not many, but certainly
the GMail MUA does it, do nefarious unexpected things (surprise!) so you
really can't use those Google apps unless you don't care what the app does.
A year ago, just one of those (multiple!) Draconian differences with Google
almost made Marcel of FairEmail give up - which Google did on purpose (imho).
<https://www.ghacks.net/2022/05/19/fairemail-developer-calls-it-quits-and-pulls-apps-from-google-play/>

Google would love to have the same restrictive walled garden Apple has.
Luckily no other MUA does the nasty things that the GMail client does.

Luckily, there are always better alternatives to the Google apps
and these clients are generally FOSS and few contain GSF spyware.

Note that K-9 Mail was taken over by Mozilla & it has a lower rating.
*K-9 Mail* by K-9 Dog Walkers
Free, ad free, gsf free, 3.1 star 97K reviews 5M+ Downloads
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fsck.k9>
<https://k9mail.app/>
<https://f-droid.org/packages/com.fsck.k9/>
<https://github.com/thundernest/k-9/releases>
<https://www.amazon.com/K-9-Dog-Walkers-Mail/dp/B004JK61K0/>
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to faithfully try to help the original poster.

Re: Blue Mail for the PC and Android

<tvkbie$34kkn$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69977&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69977

From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 14:20:13 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 14:20 UTC

Jim the Geordie wrote:

> Since when can you get Thunderbird on Android?

Look up who now owns K-9 Mail...
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-9_Mail>

Look up all the guesses as to what future naming may be:
<https://www.thurrott.com/cloud/268499/k-9-mail-becomes-mozilla-thunderbird-android>

Re: Blue Mail for the PC and Android

<tvkbmg$2gvu1$1@solani.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69978&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69978

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows.11
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 15:22:08 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 14:22 UTC

Am 24.03.23 um 13:00 schrieb Jim the Geordie:
> In article <tvjhlf$2gft5$2@solani.org>, hugybear@gmx.ch says...
>>
>> Am 24.03.23 um 05:39 schrieb micky:
>>> Blue Mail for the PC.
>>>
>>> Was: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.andrroid,alt.comp.os.windows.11
>>>
>>> I've been using K-9 for email on my phone. it's good but it's not
>>> perfect for me. A friend uses Blue Mail, and when I looked at it, it
>>> works on the PC too!
>>
>> I switched from K-9 to bluemail and then back to K-9 when bluemail ran
>> into a privacy issue a year or two ago.
>>
>> I would never use it on a "real computer". There I want open source and
>> cross platform: That means Thunderbird.
>
> Since when can you get Thunderbird on Android?

K-9. Just in case.
And I talked about "real computers" and not toy-like devices which are
never really under control of the user.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Blue Mail for the PC and Android

<tvkg6d$1nig8$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69983&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69983

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows.11
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 08:38:53 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 15:38 UTC

On 3/24/23 5:00 AM, Jim the Geordie wrote:
> In article <tvjhlf$2gft5$2@solani.org>, hugybear@gmx.ch says...
>>
>> Am 24.03.23 um 05:39 schrieb micky:
>> > Blue Mail for the PC.
>> >
>> > Was: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.andrroid,alt.comp.os.windows.11
>> >
>> > I've been using K-9 for email on my phone. it's good but it's not
>> > perfect for me. A friend uses Blue Mail, and when I looked at it, it
>> > works on the PC too!
>>
>> I switched from K-9 to bluemail and then back to K-9 when bluemail ran
>> into a privacy issue a year or two ago.
>>
>> I would never use it on a "real computer". There I want open source and
>> cross platform: That means Thunderbird.
>
> Since when can you get Thunderbird on Android?

Re-read that last paragraph. Something about "real computer"...

--
Cheers, Bev
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting

Re: Blue Mail for the PC and Android

<59mr1itsssjgncdfo69d21n5a5hqcb6vqr@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69986&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69986

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows.11
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 10:11:17 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 17:11 UTC

On Fri, 24 Mar 2023 00:39:12 -0400, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
wrote:

>Blue Mail for the PC.
>
>Was: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.andrroid,alt.comp.os.windows.11
>
>I've been using K-9 for email on my phone. it's good but it's not
>perfect for me. A friend uses Blue Mail, and when I looked at it, it
>works on the PC too!
>
>Do any of you know or like Blue Mail?

I use Blue Mail on my Android phone and I like it. I don't use it on
my Windows 11 PC; I use Thunderbird there, and I'm happy with that
too..

Re: Blue Mail for the PC and Android

<tvkrth$1pf74$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69992&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69992

From: Jef...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 18:58:57 +0000
 by: Jeff Layman - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 18:58 UTC

On 24/03/2023 14:20, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> Jim the Geordie wrote:
>
>> Since when can you get Thunderbird on Android?
>
> Look up who now owns K-9 Mail...
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-9_Mail>
>
> Look up all the guesses as to what future naming may be:
> <https://www.thurrott.com/cloud/268499/k-9-mail-becomes-mozilla-thunderbird-android>

Updated news here:
<https://blog.thunderbird.net/2023/03/thunderbird-for-android-k-9-mail-february-progress-report/>

I'm not sure why they keep using the expression "Thunderbird for android
K-9". From the very start the devs said that there would be no news
client included. So it's not like TB at all, only like many other
email-only clients.

--

Jeff

Re: Blue Mail for the PC and Android

<tvme72$3g621$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69997&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69997

From: minoru.o...@asahi.net (Minoru Osaka)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 18:17:38 +0900
 by: Minoru Osaka - Sat, 25 Mar 2023 09:17 UTC

On Fri, 24 Mar 2023 18:58:57 +0000, Jeff Layman wrote:

> I'm not sure why they keep using the expression "Thunderbird for android
> K-9". From the very start the devs said that there would be no news
> client included. So it's not like TB at all, only like many other
> email-only clients.

My guess is marketing did a survey and people had "brand recognition" for
thunderbird but not so much for k-9.

I've seen that happen where a new company bought an old company and the new
marketing ran surveys of which of the old brands were already well
recognized. Then they named all the new products those old brand names.

Confusing as all hell if you knew the old brand names because the new brand
names referred to a different product technically but none of that mattered
to marketing.