Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 03:34:31 -0800 (PST)
Subject: making a disk bootable both MBR and EFI?
From: pedro1...@lycos.com (Pedro Valdez)
 by: Pedro Valdez - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 11:34 UTC

Suppose I have linux installed on a hard disk (less than 2 TiB) and want it to be transferable to old or new PC.
Is it okay to do this:
> grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
> grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg

example is for Red Hat derivative Fedora , I know Debian family uses different command to install grub cfg

Re: making a disk bootable both MBR and EFI?

<su447i$1e36$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7017&group=comp.os.linux.misc#7017

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: making a disk bootable both MBR and EFI?
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 22:39:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 22:39 UTC

Pedro Valdez <pedro1492@lycos.com> wrote:
> Suppose I have linux installed on a hard disk (less than 2 TiB)
> and want it to be transferable to old or new PC.

One issue is that some PCs only boot EFI from GPT partitions, so
you may need to partition the disk as an MBR/GPT hybrid:
http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/hybrid.html

Although that page is full of warnings, it worked well for me with
a USB drive.

I've got consistently fed up with Grub2 and try to avoid it now in
preference to other bootloaders, so I won't comment on that.

--
__ __