OK, enough hype. -- Larry Wall in the perl man page

computers / comp.ai.philosophy / Re: Halting Problem Solved? (Black Box Decider Theory) [ Rice's Theorem ]

SubjectAuthor
o Re: Halting Problem Solved? (Black Box Decider Theory) [ Rice'solcott

1
Re: Halting Problem Solved? (Black Box Decider Theory) [ Rice's Theorem ]

<N6ydnWAjqIuIlm79nZ2dnUU7-d-dnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7015&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7015

Subject: Re: Halting Problem Solved? (Black Box Decider Theory) [ Rice's
Theorem ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,comp.software-eng,sci.math.symbolic
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 11:53:42 -0500
 by: olcott - Sat, 17 Jul 2021 16:53 UTC

On 7/17/2021 10:12 AM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> Mr Flibble <flibble@reddwarf.jmc> wrote:
>> On Sat, 17 Jul 2021 14:45:27 -0000 (UTC)
>> Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> wrote:

>>> OK, then black boxes are, at this level of theory, not possible
>>> objects. Note I didn't say "has been copied", but "contains a copy",
>>> i.e. just randomly happens to match up. Such randomly matching
>>> programs exist.
>
>> That assumes that the black box decider cannot detect when P and I are
>> being passed to something equivalent to the black box;
>
> Again, I'm beyond the limits of my knowledge, but I think it's a theorem
> that it is not possible to determine in general that two turing machines
> have the same functionality.

In computability theory, Rice's theorem states that all non-trivial,
semantic properties of programs are undecidable. A semantic property is
one about the program's behavior (for instance, does the program
terminate for all inputs), unlike a syntactic property (for instance,
does the program contain an if-then-else statement).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice%27s_theorem

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein