"You shouldn't make my toaster angry." -- Household security explained in "Johnny Quest"

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Re: Elden Ring

SubjectAuthor
* Elden RingJustisaur
+* Re: Elden RingWerner P.
|`* Re: Elden RingJAB
| `* Re: Elden RingJustisaur
|  `- Re: Elden RingJAB
+- Re: Elden Ringrms
+* Re: Elden Ringrms
|`- Re: Elden RingJustisaur
+* Re: Elden RingJustisaur
|`* Re: Elden Ringrms
| `- Re: Elden RingJustisaur
+* Re: Elden RingJustisaur
|`* Re: Elden RingJustisaur
| +- Re: Elden RingJAB
| `* Re: Elden Ringrms
|  `* Re: Elden RingJustisaur
|   `* Re: Elden RingJustisaur
|    `* Re: Elden RingJustisaur
|     `* Re: Elden RingJustisaur
|      `* Re: Elden RingJustisaur
|       +* Re: Elden RingJustisaur
|       |+- Re: Elden RingJustisaur
|       |`- Re: Elden RingJustisaur
|       +- Re: Elden RingJustisaur
|       `- Re: Elden RingJustisaur
+* Re: Elden Ringrms
|`* Re: Elden RingPW
| `* Re: Elden Ringrms
|  +* Re: Elden RingJustisaur
|  |`* Re: Elden RingPW
|  | +* Re: Elden RingPW
|  | |`* Re: Elden RingJustisaur
|  | | `* Re: Elden RingPW
|  | |  `- Re: Elden RingJustisaur
|  | `* Re: Elden RingJustisaur
|  |  `* Re: Elden RingPW
|  |   `* Re: Elden RingJustisaur
|  |    `* Re: Elden RingPW
|  |     `* Re: Elden RingJustisaur
|  |      +- Re: Elden RingPW
|  |      +- Re: Elden RingPW
|  |      +- Re: Elden RingPW
|  |      `* Re: Elden RingPW
|  |       `* Re: Elden RingPW
|  |        `* Re: Elden RingJustisaur
|  |         +- Re: Elden RingPW
|  |         +- Re: Elden RingPW
|  |         `* Re: Elden RingPW
|  |          `* Re: Elden Ringrms
|  |           `* Re: Elden RingPW
|  |            `* Re: Elden RingPW
|  |             `* Re: Elden Ringrms
|  |              +- Re: Elden RingPW
|  |              `* Re: Elden RingPW
|  |               `* Re: Elden RingPW
|  |                `* Re: Elden Ringrms
|  |                 +* Re: Elden RingPW
|  |                 |`* Re: Elden RingJustisaur
|  |                 | +- Re: Elden RingPW
|  |                 | `- Re: Elden RingPW
|  |                 `- Re: Elden RingPW
|  `- Re: Elden RingPW
+* Re: Elden RingPW
|`* Re: Elden RingJustisaur
| `* Re: Elden RingPW
|  `- Re: Elden RingJustisaur
+* Re: Elden RingJAB
|`* Re: Elden RingDimensional Traveler
| `- Re: Elden RingJustisaur
+* Re: Elden RingPW
|`* Re: Elden RingJustisaur
| `* Re: Elden RingPW
|  `* Re: Elden RingPW
|   `* Re: Elden RingPW
|    `* Re: Elden RingJustisaur
|     `* Re: Elden RingPW
|      `* Re: Elden RingJustisaur
|       +* Re: Elden RingPW
|       |`* Re: Elden RingJustisaur
|       | `* Re: Elden RingPW
|       |  +- Re: Elden RingJustisaur
|       |  `* Re: Elden RingPW
|       |   `- Re: Elden RingJustisaur
|       `* Re: Elden RingPW
|        `* Re: Elden RingJustisaur
|         `- Re: Elden RingPW
+* Re: Elden RingPW
|`* Re: Elden RingJustisaur
| `* Re: Elden RingPW
|  `* Re: Elden RingJustisaur
|   +- Re: Elden RingPW
|   +- Re: Elden RingPW
|   +- Re: Elden RingPW
|   `* Re: Elden RingPW
|    +* Re: Elden RingDimensional Traveler
|    |`- Re: Elden RingPW
|    `* Re: Elden RingJustisaur
|     +* Re: Elden RingPW
|     |`- Re: Elden RingPW
|     +- Re: Elden RingPW
|     `* Re: Elden RingPW
+* Re: Elden RingPW
+- Re: Elden RingPW
+* Re: Elden RingPW
+* Re: Elden RingPW
+* Re: Elden RingPW
+* Re: Elden RingPW
+* Re: Elden RingPW
+* Re: Elden RingPW
+* Re: Elden RingPW
+* Re: Elden RingPW
+* Re: Elden Ringrms
+* Re: Elden RingPW
+* Re: Elden RingPW
+* Re: Elden RingPW
+* Re: Elden RingPW
+* Re: Elden RingSpalls Hurgenson
+* Re: Elden RingPW
`* Re: Elden RingPW

Pages:123456789101112131415
Re: Elden Ring

<bh0v5h5ddgpgt0v3292ok3mv5mfm831bnv@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6987&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6987

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Elden Ring
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 21:51:08 -0600
 by: PW - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 03:51 UTC

On Thu, 14 Apr 2022 12:58:33 -0700 (PDT), Justisaur
<justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thursday, April 14, 2022 at 8:46:19 AM UTC-7, PW wrote:
>> >
>> > This is a riddle :) Think about it a bit.
>> Three wolves are wild beasts. The alpha one being white. Out here I
>> think the usual alpha is black but I am not an expert. No white
>> wolves that I know of.
>
>It's not the wolves.
>
>Look around the area, what's probably "old" A torch might help.
>
>- Justisaur

*--

Well I guessed that turtles could be them especially when there were
two right in front of me and something moving around in the pond.

I was afraid to try and kill something glowing (like the squid) but
nothing happened.

I saw one owl but that wasn't it.

Now I gots me another memory stone!

I can't find anything else new on the Weeping Pinninusula. I need to
check the page rms linked me to.

Or go somewhere else.

I will have some time Wednesday and Thursday for ER.

Thanks!

-pw

Re: Elden Ring

<brb66h5lo1an2157mjpo54bsmjvp0p33fj@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7009&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7009

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 17:00:19 -0600
 by: PW - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 23:00 UTC

Hey there Justisaur and rms (go ahead DT).

I am not ready to quit or take a break yet, but it has gotten a little
(or more) discouraging that as of now I don't think I stand a chance
with a boss or mini-boss or most of the enemies I encounter with my
level 48 Confessor.

And it is costing tons of runes to level up just one level. I just
lost 8,000 at the Waypoint Ruin's to it's underground boss. It took
maybe three seconds for me to die with no time to react. I thought my
ruins would be left outside of the underground so I can retrieve them
but they must be underground. Another lesson learned to not go into a
batlle like this unless I am broke or close to it. I saved them to
hopefully do some shopping but I cannot find anything at the merchants
I have visited that I think would help me.

My Confessor is level 48, vogor 23, mind 15, endurance 12, str 28, dex
14, int 9, faith 17, arcane 9. My load is heavy but not maxed out.

I am wearing chainmail now with everything else standard issue.

I certainly would not stand a chance at Castle Morne, or with Margit
or any underground area (I think).

I am just not sure what I can do to keep interested. I think I have
been just about every place in the Weeping Pinnusula and Limgrave,
etc.

I hardly have anything to mix with the Wondrous Physick, or Ashes of
War I think.

Basically my only weapon is the issued broadsword which is now +4. I
have a brass shield.

I looked up the best Confessor weapons and I don't think I can figure
out where they are and from what I have read, I doubt I would survive
getting them. Coded Sword, Rogier; Rapier. I thought I picked up the
Winged Scythe but I don't see it any more in my inventor or chest and
it takes a ton of skills to use it any way. I am not even close to
using it.

I forget what incarnations I have besides flame swing, assassins
approach, healing, urgent healing and I think poison healing and
finger flames.

Maybe next time I am at Waypoint Ruins I should try burning the sons
of itches instead of getting poisened to death. But I can't handle to
boss there.

Others that I have faced ar so fast and all have such long-ranged hand
weapons that I can't even scroll to my right or left and then get a
hit in.

Any ideas?

I have certainly gotten WAY MORE than $60 worth of this amazing
addictive game.

I think I may take a break and go back to God of War or the latest
Assasins Creed or Marvel one. Or a flight sim or strategy game for
something completely different! :-) Maybe Trainz or American Truck
Simulator (I am looking forward to the Montana DLC for that one since
that is where I live - but not on the high-line. I have big mountains
where I live hehe)).

-pw

Re: Elden Ring

<t41hth$8sh$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7013&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7013

From: rsquires...@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 12:52:31 -0600
 by: rms - Sat, 23 Apr 2022 18:52 UTC

>Hey there Justisaur and rms (go ahead DT).

>I am not ready to quit or take a break yet, but it has gotten a little
>(or more) discouraging that as of now...L48 Confessor

Ok. I'm about L95 now (not sure what starting class, I don't think it
matters, you can mold your character as you please), so have a few tips.
The first is to get more help from your npc buddies, the spirit ashes, and
use them every time the icon appears onscreen, which is almost always in
boss fights or crowded area. You also need to learn how to upgrade them.
This is done in roundtable hold by Roderika
https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Roderika
Follow the guide there, and note that you can go around Stormveil Castle
(without fighting Margit) by going north and then east along the broken
bridge and there's a path down and north around the ridge that leads to
another grace point. Touch that and she should be waiting at roundtable
hold; do the simple quest of talking back and forth with the blacksmith and
her, reload and she'll be there for upgrading spirits. The supplies she
needs are gloveworts in tunnels or catacombs (you don't need to fight the
bosses in catacombs, search the tunnels, collect everything, open the boss
doors if you can). Check your inventory of spirit ashes also, you'll
collect stronger ones that use more FP, so switch to those and upgrade them.
Talk to all npcs multiple times and exhaust their dialogue, they'll usually
give you something or point out where to go.

Let's talk about a couple simpler bosses. One is in Forlorn Hound Gaol near
Weeping Peninsula. You can try this yourself, but for help follow the
initial guide for Blaidd so you can summon him there:
https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Blaidd this involves another simple
backandforth talking quest. Beating these evergaol bosses should give you
confidence and experience.

Castle Morne boss: upgrade your spirit ashes beforehand as above. Check
your Talisman slots for damage reduction or more health. Use your wondrous
flask right before entering, use a Gold Fowl Foot from your inventory to
boost runes when he's almost dead, and summon your spirit ashes immediately
on entering the arena, this should become second nature. Let them do most
of the fighting while you circle around to get in easy hits. Run away
freely to recover if needed. This boss is suspectible to Fire so hit him
with fire arrows or whatever. Yes, it may take multiple tries to beat him!

rms

Re: Elden Ring

<t41itf$h1s$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7014&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7014

From: rsquires...@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 13:09:34 -0600
 by: rms - Sat, 23 Apr 2022 19:09 UTC

Besides Evergaol bosses, 'Minor Erdtree' bosses are good ones to take on
while riding your horse. These arenas always have a large tree you can ride
around to escape and wait for the boss to calm down, then ride up behind him
and get in one good hit, and repeat.

rms

Re: Elden Ring

<c8b297d4-7f42-4bd8-94c5-d019e6fd1fd1n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7015&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7015

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 12:55:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Sat, 23 Apr 2022 19:55 UTC

On Saturday, April 23, 2022 at 11:52:35 AM UTC-7, rms wrote:
> >Hey there Justisaur and rms (go ahead DT).

Yeah, I've stopped playing too, it's not that I can't progress, it's just
feeling like it should've ended around Radahn, and it's feeling a bit
of a slog. I'll probably go back, but feel like I need a gaming break for a bit.

> Follow the guide there, and note that you can go around Stormveil Castle
> (without fighting Margit) by going north and then east along the broken
> bridge and there's a path down and north around the ridge that leads to
> another grace point.

If you don't feel up to a lot of the bosses, yeah, go around Stormveil, I got
the lightning spear spell from one of the books somewhere in the lakes
area, and it's pretty good. You can either use it for a fast good ranged attack
or charge it and do more damage, it's great against anything standing in water
or if you're outside in the rain. You need to find a knight kind of in the middle
east plateau area next to the center of the lakes. He's tough and buffs with
lightning (which will help you recognize him,) but if you keep your distance
on horse and apply lots of fire sling you should be able to take him down
since he's not mounted.

There's a pretty decent faith/str spear in the distant south near that area too,
the tree spear.

With the strength you have make sure you put a 'heavy' art of war on your
broadsword, that will up the damage, perhaps by a lot.

- Justisaur

Re: Elden Ring

<522c6hlcvh46gariq8so8l54tm0u0cgk9n@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7016&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7016

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 20:33:35 -0600
 by: PW - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 02:33 UTC

Okay guys. I will give all this a try when I have the time to do one
of these suggestion first when I know I have time to research and
complete it.

Thanks!

-pw

Re: Elden Ring

<244c6ht7485s6oi1m9tte6l0p75o9i8s4j@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7017&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7017

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 21:09:59 -0600
 by: PW - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 03:09 UTC

>Let's talk about a couple simpler bosses. One is in Forlorn Hound Gaol near
>Weeping Peninsula. You can try this yourself, but for help follow the
>initial guide for Blaidd so you can summon him there:
>https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Blaidd this involves another simple
>backandforth talking quest. Beating these evergaol bosses should give you
>confidence and experience.

*--

I did the Blaidd and howling thing last week. Went down underground.
There was nothing to summon for help. I lasted about 10 seconds
before I died.

The area was one of the purple areas with the crawling worms and the
disc in the center to lower underneath.

-pw

Re: Elden Ring

<t467if$n4g$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7018&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7018

From: rsquires...@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 07:26:37 -0600
 by: rms - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 13:26 UTC

>I did the Blaidd and howling thing last week. Went down underground.
>There was nothing to summon for help.

The summon sign is outside before you enter as I recall.

rms

Re: Elden Ring

<1f14731e-dd2d-4334-849d-6f4145d8a717n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7019&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7019

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 08:13:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 15:13 UTC

On Monday, April 25, 2022 at 6:26:41 AM UTC-7, rms wrote:
> >I did the Blaidd and howling thing last week. Went down underground.
> >There was nothing to summon for help.
> The summon sign is outside before you enter as I recall.
>
> rms

It actually appears once you enter. I suggest entering, don't move and
look around for a minute before approaching the purple area to see if
you can find it. You have to talk to Blaidd outside it though I think.

- Justisaur

Re: Elden Ring

<g08e6h92aa0lv76odq133n6lv75jo836jf@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7020&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7020

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 16:30:52 -0600
 by: PW - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 22:30 UTC

On Mon, 25 Apr 2022 08:13:13 -0700 (PDT), Justisaur
<justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Monday, April 25, 2022 at 6:26:41 AM UTC-7, rms wrote:
>> >I did the Blaidd and howling thing last week. Went down underground.
>> >There was nothing to summon for help.
>> The summon sign is outside before you enter as I recall.
>>
>> rms
>
>It actually appears once you enter. I suggest entering, don't move and
>look around for a minute before approaching the purple area to see if
>you can find it. You have to talk to Blaidd outside it though I think.
>
>- Justisaur

* ---

Okay. I will do next time I go there. I do not remember seeing the
wolfman again there. Do things (converstations) like this have to be
done exactly in order for them to work out?

I ended up at Summwater Village last night. I took the lower way with
the wolves and pool and the spring.

I have 6,000 runes. I am not sure I can handle the boss in the
glowing boat and it's skeletons.

That is the thing. It takes so many runes now for me to level up that
I do not want to lose a bunch again. If there was a sight of grace
close by, I would chance it. I think I need 13K + now to level up.

-pw

Re: Elden Ring

<16de6hha0v2rjdm3004r67sktqaea2g70n@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7021&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7021

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 17:55:48 -0600
 by: PW - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 23:55 UTC

On Sat, 23 Apr 2022 12:52:31 -0600, "rms"
<rsquiresMOO@MOOflashMOO.net> wrote:

>>Hey there Justisaur and rms (go ahead DT).
>
>>I am not ready to quit or take a break yet, but it has gotten a little
>>(or more) discouraging that as of now...L48 Confessor
>
> Ok. I'm about L95 now (not sure what starting class,

*--

So what does a person do when they are level 95?

What am I to look forward to if I make it that far?

Should I try? :-)

-pw

Re: Elden Ring

<2jqe6hhum6bm7uehpa1vqttnttu4u12fed@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7022&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7022

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 21:51:05 -0600
 by: PW - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 03:51 UTC

>Follow the guide there, and note that you can go around Stormveil Castle
>(without fighting Margit) by going north and then east along the broken
>bridge and there's a path down and north around the ridge that leads to
>another grace point. Touch that and she should be waiting at roundtable
>hold; do the simple quest of talking back and forth with the blacksmith and
>her, reload and she'll be there for upgrading spirits. The supplies she

*--

I don't think I found the path you are talking about but I am back to
having alot of fun in ER. Found a couple new SoGs: Saint's Bridge,
Warmaster's Shack. I didn't have a whole lot of runes with me because
I am trying not to lose a bunch at once. I now need about 15K to
level up :-( oh well.

New Ashes of War, and a bunch of new stuff. Pumpkin Head (?) at a
bridge. I galloped past it then went back to a SoG and quit for the
night. I managed to do a little damage but ran out of time before
bed.

And a new Normadic Merchant. Bought a couple things from him.

At least I can mess with the bully on the bridge and the encampment
with the big dogs and play with them as I don't have many runes and am
near to Sights of Grace.

Before that I went into a tower and killed three guard and got an
Arrow's Reach Talisman.

Thanks for telling me about the alternate route! New area to explore.

I know a couple of places I can work and get more runes, then come
back if I feel I need to level up to 50+

-pw

Re: Elden Ring

<vfre6h1v1hetoe063rm8qiuk13erkc15rd@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7023&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7023

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 22:01:10 -0600
 by: PW - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 04:01 UTC

Any tips for fighting the Giants or whatever they are called?

The ugly huge things that roar and blast me off of the horse and
knock me down.

I think it is time that I see if I can deal with them. I have been
avoiding them since the start.

There is something at a statue where a bunch of them are that I think
I should try and get.

-pw

Re: Elden Ring

<f165a9b5-ae1e-42ca-8784-3a2d36340b27n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7028&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7028

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 17:42:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 00:42 UTC

On Monday, April 25, 2022 at 9:01:14 PM UTC-7, PW wrote:
> Any tips for fighting the Giants or whatever they are called?
>
> The ugly huge things that roar and blast me off of the horse and
> knock me down.
>
> I think it is time that I see if I can deal with them. I have been
> avoiding them since the start.
>
> There is something at a statue where a bunch of them are that I think
> I should try and get.

Those are called Trolls, yeah I thought they were giants too.

They're really not very hard. You can make passing runs with heavy attacks
on horseback, try not to get too far or they'll use their roar. You can fight
them on the ground, attack a leg and roll toward the other one when they lift
a leg. Use jumping heavy attacks and they will eventually go down and you
can crit them in the head. Don't try to engage more than one at a time though.

To your other questions, I'm not sure level is all that important at least not
without weapon and flask upgrades. It's more about what weapons or spells
you can use, and it gets more important as you get higher level weapons.

The guy in the boat is often derided as the easiest boss in the game, you
should be able to beat him even if it takes a few tries. I mostly ignore
the other skeletons, and summon some ash of war to get their attention.
Just make sure you aren't near him when he crashes down. Torrent is
good for him too. If you've found the sacred blade ash of war put it on
your weapon and be sure to use it, he takes a lot of extra damage from
holy.

- Justisaur

Re: Elden Ring

<nneh6hlhglce2konno4hc23badjodcm804@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7030&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7030

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 21:51:35 -0600
 by: PW - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 03:51 UTC

On Tue, 26 Apr 2022 17:42:28 -0700 (PDT), Justisaur
<justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Monday, April 25, 2022 at 9:01:14 PM UTC-7, PW wrote:
>> Any tips for fighting the Giants or whatever they are called?
>>
>> The ugly huge things that roar and blast me off of the horse and
>> knock me down.
>>
>> I think it is time that I see if I can deal with them. I have been
>> avoiding them since the start.
>>
>> There is something at a statue where a bunch of them are that I think
>> I should try and get.
>
>Those are called Trolls, yeah I thought they were giants too.
>
>They're really not very hard. You can make passing runs with heavy attacks
>on horseback, try not to get too far or they'll use their roar. You can fight
>them on the ground, attack a leg and roll toward the other one when they lift
>a leg. Use jumping heavy attacks and they will eventually go down and you
>can crit them in the head. Don't try to engage more than one at a time though.
>
>To your other questions, I'm not sure level is all that important at least not
>without weapon and flask upgrades. It's more about what weapons or spells
>you can use, and it gets more important as you get higher level weapons.
>
>The guy in the boat is often derided as the easiest boss in the game, you
>should be able to beat him even if it takes a few tries. I mostly ignore
>the other skeletons, and summon some ash of war to get their attention.
>Just make sure you aren't near him when he crashes down. Torrent is
>good for him too. If you've found the sacred blade ash of war put it on
>your weapon and be sure to use it, he takes a lot of extra damage from
>holy.
>
>- Justisaur
*--

I did buy the sacred blade from the knight merchant (forget his name)
at a site of grace. Warmaster's Shack.

Oh, went I left him and went right back there was a Ball Bearing
Hunter that killed me quickly. Did he take my spirit calling bell? I
don't see it in my inventory. What does he do? I have no other
bearings.

No site of grace there by the guy in the boat that I know of. I am
not carrying many runes right now anyway but I am back near the
Stormhill Shack.

I think I found him by leaving the south arghill (?) lake. It took
some time to get there. I don't think I marked it on the map. Maybe
I did because there is an underground there.

I need to look up how to switch ashes of war using keyboard and mouse.
And also incarnations as I am out of memory stones.

I also have a little bow now and want to switch out the torch for it.
I think I have some arrows.

Sorry, I don't want to boot up the game again to check everything as I
am going to bed in a few minutes.

What about the creature at a bridge that keeps knocking his head on
the floor. Pumpkin Head (?). Are they tough to take care of?

All these kills I am getting where I am are not yielding many runes.

Oh, near Stormhill Castle (?) there are two castles. The game took
Torrent away from me and some red enemy wasted me. "Rescue H...".
Something like that.

Thanks again,

-pw

Re: Elden Ring

<t4bisf$veq$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7035&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7035

From: rsquires...@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 08:10:21 -0600
 by: rms - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 14:10 UTC

>Those are called Trolls, yeah I thought they were giants too.

These are supereasy, barely an inconvenience. They are good practice.

>The guy in the boat is often derided as the easiest boss in the game, you
>should be able to beat him even if it takes a few tries. I mostly ignore
>the other skeletons, and summon some ash of war to get their attention.

As Justisaur says, ignore the distraction of the skeletons and whale on
the boatman!

As for my game, I've beaten 3 of the major bosses and Level 125 or
something. Trying to finish all the NPC quests before going on to the
endgame. Still have plenty to do!!

rms

Re: Elden Ring

<d0qi6htftdpjqgvhufb10e6jd9vl2ag953@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7036&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7036

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 10:00:38 -0600
 by: PW - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 16:00 UTC

On Wed, 27 Apr 2022 08:10:21 -0600, "rms"
<rsquiresMOO@MOOflashMOO.net> wrote:

>>Those are called Trolls, yeah I thought they were giants too.
>
> These are supereasy, barely an inconvenience. They are good practice.
>
>>The guy in the boat is often derided as the easiest boss in the game, you
>>should be able to beat him even if it takes a few tries. I mostly ignore
>>the other skeletons, and summon some ash of war to get their attention.
>
> As Justisaur says, ignore the distraction of the skeletons and whale on
>the boatman!
>
>As for my game, I've beaten 3 of the major bosses and Level 125 or
>something. Trying to finish all the NPC quests before going on to the
>endgame. Still have plenty to do!!
>
>rms

*-

I sure wish there was a journal like in God of War and others for the
quests. Conversations fly by so fast that I cannot write things down
fast enough.

I wonder when rewards are going to be higher than a couple hundred
runes so I can start leveling up more often. Right now I need 15,000
to reach 50.

Thanks.

-pw

Re: Elden Ring

<l7qi6hhtaq5lj955p0iq41f2gf3q6ucpvl@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7037&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7037

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 10:02:34 -0600
 by: PW - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 16:02 UTC

>good for him too. If you've found the sacred blade ash of war put it on
>your weapon and be sure to use it, he takes a lot of extra damage from
>holy.
*--

Holy? Ashes of War?

-pw

Re: Elden Ring

<t4cc2a$iah$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7043&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7043

From: rsquires...@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 15:20:07 -0600
 by: rms - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 21:20 UTC

>I wonder when rewards are going to be higher than a couple hundred
>runes so I can start leveling up more often. Right now I need 15,000
>to reach 50.

I totally get your (hopefully mild) frustrations here. This was a tough
period for me in the game. What I did in response was mostly to back off
any obviously hard encounters, and sneak or ride past and just keep
exploring. The world is so large, with so many new environments, that just
doing this is fulfilling. I use the map marker function to note sites to
return to, or jump sites, or boss gates. If you're really focused on
leveling up, spend some time on taking out groups like the ones near the
start on the way to stormveil to begin with. I like this grace site called
Dragonbarrow Fork, in NE Caelid, that has like 15 enemies & a small dragon
in a small area that net ~25k runes per run; I clear out the area and reload
at the grace site to do it again once or twice. If I do die, my first
priority afterwards is retrieving my lost runes, and only then playing at
getting better at combat. Now I've gotten a little better at realizing when
I'm underleveled for a fight or area, and either go back to dragonbarrow to
farm for a bit or just let it go and explore somewhere else.

Thanks.

-pw

Re: Elden Ring

<pgjj6hdmqcdl59f784va4k5fi7h516alpb@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7044&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7044

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 17:14:52 -0600
 by: PW - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 23:14 UTC

<justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Monday, April 25, 2022 at 9:01:14 PM UTC-7, PW wrote:
>> Any tips for fighting the Giants or whatever they are called?
>>
>> The ugly huge things that roar and blast me off of the horse and
>> knock me down.
>>
>> I think it is time that I see if I can deal with them. I have been
>> avoiding them since the start.
>>
>> There is something at a statue where a bunch of them are that I think
>> I should try and get.
>
>Those are called Trolls, yeah I thought they were giants too.
>
>They're really not very hard.

*--

Yep! No biggie whatsoever on horseback! Next time I will try from
the ground.

Don't know why I was so afraid of them! Not a whole lot of runes
though for their size :-)

-pw

Re: Elden Ring

<mmjj6htf54akg5eg9vfsujhchdcovsqj2i@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7045&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7045

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 17:21:07 -0600
 by: PW - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 23:21 UTC

On Wed, 27 Apr 2022 15:20:07 -0600, "rms"
<rsquiresMOO@MOOflashMOO.net> wrote:

>>I wonder when rewards are going to be higher than a couple hundred
>>runes so I can start leveling up more often. Right now I need 15,000
>>to reach 50.
>
> I totally get your (hopefully mild) frustrations here. This was a tough
>period for me in the game. What I did in response was mostly to back off
>any obviously hard encounters, and sneak or ride past and just keep
>exploring. The world is so large, with so many new environments, that just
>doing this is fulfilling. I use the map marker function to note sites to
>return to, or jump sites, or boss gates. If you're really focused on
>leveling up, spend some time on taking out groups like the ones near the
>start on the way to stormveil to begin with. I like this grace site called
>Dragonbarrow Fork, in NE Caelid, that has like 15 enemies & a small dragon
>in a small area that net ~25k runes per run; I clear out the area and reload
>at the grace site to do it again once or twice. If I do die, my first
>priority afterwards is retrieving my lost runes, and only then playing at
>getting better at combat. Now I've gotten a little better at realizing when
>I'm underleveled for a fight or area, and either go back to dragonbarrow to
>farm for a bit or just let it go and explore somewhere else.

*--

Those have been most my victims to get runes to spend or level up.
Justisaur told me about that place. I have their patterns down now,
especially the one around the rock by the SoG. Although it surprises
me sometimes :-)

I have not tried to tackle the Dragon yet. But why not? There is a
SoG right there!

I think I read that the boss in the building wants something. It only
grunts when I try to talk to it so I must not have anything it needs.
I haven't dared attacked it because I think there is a purpose for it.

-pw

Re: Elden Ring

<6a247f5f-eda1-48c4-a58c-2b2a904a00f6n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7046&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7046

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 17:39:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 00:39 UTC

On Wednesday, April 27, 2022 at 4:21:12 PM UTC-7, PW wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Apr 2022 15:20:07 -0600, "rms"
> <rsqui...@MOOflashMOO.net> wrote:
>
> >>I wonder when rewards are going to be higher than a couple hundred
> >>runes so I can start leveling up more often. Right now I need 15,000
> >>to reach 50.
> >
> > I totally get your (hopefully mild) frustrations here. This was a tough
> >period for me in the game. What I did in response was mostly to back off
> >any obviously hard encounters, and sneak or ride past and just keep
> >exploring. The world is so large, with so many new environments, that just
> >doing this is fulfilling. I use the map marker function to note sites to
> >return to, or jump sites, or boss gates. If you're really focused on
> >leveling up, spend some time on taking out groups like the ones near the
> >start on the way to stormveil to begin with. I like this grace site called
> >Dragonbarrow Fork, in NE Caelid, that has like 15 enemies & a small dragon
> >in a small area that net ~25k runes per run; I clear out the area and reload
> >at the grace site to do it again once or twice. If I do die, my first
> >priority afterwards is retrieving my lost runes, and only then playing at
> >getting better at combat. Now I've gotten a little better at realizing when
> >I'm underleveled for a fight or area, and either go back to dragonbarrow to
> >farm for a bit or just let it go and explore somewhere else.
> >

> *--
>
> Those have been most my victims to get runes to spend or level up.
> Justisaur told me about that place. I have their patterns down now,
> especially the one around the rock by the SoG. Although it surprises
> me sometimes :-)
>
> I have not tried to tackle the Dragon yet. But why not? There is a
> SoG right there!
>
> I think I read that the boss in the building wants something. It only
> grunts when I try to talk to it so I must not have anything it needs.
> I haven't dared attacked it because I think there is a purpose for it.

Yes, you don't want to attack him, and you can talk to him after defeating
the boat guy (or finding something near the boat guy after you defeat him,
I forget exact details.) The stuff he gives you will be real important with your
str/fai build.

- Justisaur

Re: Elden Ring

<e5uj6hl3etat2160i8ndi807dlh7ldgt8m@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7048&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7048

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
References: <f0a3afd0-c7b2-42b4-a9d1-3c058a471c89n@googlegroups.com> <vfre6h1v1hetoe063rm8qiuk13erkc15rd@4ax.com> <f165a9b5-ae1e-42ca-8784-3a2d36340b27n@googlegroups.com> <nneh6hlhglce2konno4hc23badjodcm804@4ax.com> <t4bisf$veq$1@dont-email.me> <d0qi6htftdpjqgvhufb10e6jd9vl2ag953@4ax.com> <t4cc2a$iah$1@dont-email.me> <mmjj6htf54akg5eg9vfsujhchdcovsqj2i@4ax.com> <6a247f5f-eda1-48c4-a58c-2b2a904a00f6n@googlegroups.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 20:15:49 -0600
 by: PW - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 02:15 UTC

>> I think I read that the boss in the building wants something. It only
>> grunts when I try to talk to it so I must not have anything it needs.
>> I haven't dared attacked it because I think there is a purpose for it.
>
>Yes, you don't want to attack him, and you can talk to him after defeating
>the boat guy (or finding something near the boat guy after you defeat him,
>I forget exact details.) The stuff he gives you will be real important with your
>str/fai build.
>
>- Justisaur

*--

Thanks. I need to figure out how to get back to the boat guy.

-pw

Re: Elden Ring

<ct3k6hhou0ctsarrjcbjjbr9is4a33kiuk@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7050&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7050

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 21:58:05 -0600
 by: PW - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 03:58 UTC

I haven't seen my spirit lone wolf ashes in a while. I don't see my
bell any more in equipment or inventory. I think I used to.

But I encountered a ball bearing hunter. Do they steal bells?

Also, I have a bow and managed (somehow!) to equip it in quickslot on
the left side. It appears there but also two icons below it with
arrows in them.

Am I supposed to be able to switch to them? How do I use the bow now?

Thanks,

-pw

Re: Elden Ring

<cs6m6h9mrueb9tcem4qutnhckobafu0087@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7068&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7068

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 16:59:09 -0600
 by: PW - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 22:59 UTC

On Wed, 27 Apr 2022 21:58:05 -0600, PW
<iamnotusingonewithAgent@notinuse.com> wrote:

>I haven't seen my spirit lone wolf ashes in a while. I don't see my
>bell any more in equipment or inventory. I think I used to.
>
>But I encountered a ball bearing hunter. Do they steal bells?
>
>Also, I have a bow and managed (somehow!) to equip it in quickslot on
>the left side. It appears there but also two icons below it with
>arrows in them.
>
>Am I supposed to be able to switch to them? How do I use the bow now?
>
>Thanks,
>
>-pw

*-

Spirit ashes are back. I guess I wasn't paying attention but it
seemed like a big dry spell without the icon appearing on screen.

Giants aren't a biggie and bears are sissies that don't reward one
with many ruins or anything else. Not with str at 29.

I would like to figure out the bow and arrows and long-ranged weapons.

Next mission!

-pw