From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Activision: You Reap What You Sow
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 19:49:03 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 23:49 UTC

So, recent company reports from the beleaguered California corporation
show some troubling trends.

Well, troubling for the corporation and its stockholders. Depending on
your opinion of the company, you might feel a bit of schadenfreud at
the news. See, apparently Activision has lost a third of its active
users over the past year. That's gotta hurt.

I wish I could say that the loss was a result of the company's recent
abusive behavior towards its customers and employees. I'm sure that
had some effect, but I doubt it was a significant cause of the drop.
More likely, the loosening of pandemic restrictions played a larger
role... that, and Activision's products no longer having quite the
compelling draw they once did.

It turns out if you keep putting out the same thing year after year
(...after year after year after year...), people start looking to
other suppliers for something new. But of course, how could Activision
possibly predicted that? You'd have to be some sort of CEO with an
eight-figure salary to be able to figure out that sort of thing, and
Activision certainly doesn't have anybody like that on staff, do they,
Mr. Kotick?

Meanwhile, the other half of the ActiBliz conglomeration is doing a
little better... by which I mean it isn't doing quite as badly.
Blizzard lost 'only' 13% of its users.

Not being a fan of the corporation, I read this news more joyfully
than I probably should have. It's not just its corporate behavior I
find distasteful, though; the company is just too big and complacent.
Getting knocked down a peg might not only allow other companies to
thrive, but may make Activision less risk-averse and more open to new
ideas rather than simply rehashing the same IPs year after year.

Still, you gotta wonder if Microsoft is doubting its decision to buy
the company after this news...