From: boblat...@yahoo.com (Robert Latest)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Can't find documentation on aspell's dictionaries
Date: 13 Feb 2022 13:35:53 GMT
 by: Robert Latest - Sun, 13 Feb 2022 13:35 UTC

Hi all,
I'm playing with German words, so I created a word list like this:
$ aspell --lang=de_DE dump master | head

Where can I find documentation on what the suffixes after the slash mean? The
English dictionary doesn't have those.

Aachen/S
Aachener/NFS
Aal/EPST
aalen/DIXYW
aalglatt/A
Aargau

Re: Can't find documentation on aspell's dictionaries

<87k0dyycy5.fsf@usenet.ankman.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7025&group=comp.os.linux.misc#7025

From: ank...@spamfence.net (Andreas Kohlbach)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 10:59:46 -0500
sha1:1pz2XzZs7IKkmjQCzVKRd0QyhH0=
 by: Andreas Kohlbach - Sun, 13 Feb 2022 15:59 UTC

On 13 Feb 2022 13:35:53 GMT, Robert Latest wrote:

> I'm playing with German words, so I created a word list like this:
> $ aspell --lang=de_DE dump master | head
>
> Where can I find documentation on what the suffixes after the slash mean? The
> English dictionary doesn't have those.
>
> Aachen/S
> Aachener/NFS
> Aal/EPST
> aalen/DIXYW
> aalglatt/A
> Aargau

No idea, tried it once but failed to understand how that works. But they
seem to not have the same meaning for every file.

I think it's called "affix compression".

Might be totally wrong, so please don't dig in to deep if you hit another
dead end.
--
Andreas

Re: Can't find documentation on aspell's dictionaries

<subg1o$e1g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7027&group=comp.os.linux.misc#7027

From: dan1es...@gmail.com (Dan Espen)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 12:44:24 -0500
 by: Dan Espen - Sun, 13 Feb 2022 17:44 UTC

Andreas Kohlbach <ank@spamfence.net> writes:

> On 13 Feb 2022 13:35:53 GMT, Robert Latest wrote:
>>
>> I'm playing with German words, so I created a word list like this:
>> $ aspell --lang=de_DE dump master | head
>>
>> Where can I find documentation on what the suffixes after the slash mean? The
>> English dictionary doesn't have those.
>>
>> Aachen/S
>> Aachener/NFS
>> Aal/EPST
>> aalen/DIXYW
>> aalglatt/A
>> Aargau
>
> No idea, tried it once but failed to understand how that works. But they
> seem to not have the same meaning for every file.
>
> I think it's called "affix compression".
>
> Might be totally wrong, so please don't dig in to deep if you hit another
> dead end.

Yep, affix compression. Some google searches got me close but I figured
that was a job for the OP.

--
Dan Espen