Sex dumps core (Sex is a Simple editor for X11) -- Seen on debian bugtracking

computers / alt.windows7.general / Re: Brand New 8GB USB Stick Shows 'No Media'

SubjectAuthor
* Brand New 8GB USB Stick Shows 'No Media'Java Jive
+- Re: Brand New 8GB USB Stick Shows 'No Media'Ed Cryer
+- Re: Brand New 8GB USB Stick Shows 'No Media'Sjouke Burry
+* Re: Brand New 8GB USB Stick Shows 'No Media'VanguardLH
|+- Re: Brand New 8GB USB Stick Shows 'No Media'sticks
|`- Re: Brand New 8GB USB Stick Shows 'No Media'Java Jive
+* Re: Brand New 8GB USB Stick Shows 'No Media'David E. Ross
|+* Re: Brand New 8GB USB Stick Shows 'No Media'Brian Gregory
||+- Re: Brand New 8GB USB Stick Shows 'No Media'J. P. Gilliver
||+- Re: Brand New 8GB USB Stick Shows 'No Media'Paul
||`- Re: Brand New 8GB USB Stick Shows 'No Media'David E. Ross
|`- Re: Brand New 8GB USB Stick Shows 'No Media'Java Jive
+- Re: Brand New 8GB USB Stick Shows 'No Media'Manu
+- Re: Brand New 8GB USB Stick Shows 'No Media'Brian Gregory
+- Re: Brand New 8GB USB Stick Shows 'No Media'Java Jive
`- Re: Brand New 8GB USB Stick Shows 'No Media'Paul

1
Brand New 8GB USB Stick Shows 'No Media'

<uefcln$32acc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7017&group=alt.windows7.general#7017

From: jav...@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Brand New 8GB USB Stick Shows 'No Media'
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 19:12:04 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 18:12 UTC

As per subject, bought pack of 3 here ...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BFWJVNDB
.... 2 of which are fine, but the third died before or immediately upon
inserting in PC. I could just return them, but I'd already installed
something on the other two, and anyway, I have other older ones in a
similar condition, and if possible would like to find an actual solution.

There's no end of 'help' out there on the web - for example, format
the stick, but Windows merely prompts to insert media in it - but
mostly they seemed to be copied from each other and make the same
mistake in not realising that if Windows thinks there is no media in the
drive, nothing really seems to work.

I've got as far as running ChipGenius, which tells me the following:

Device Type: Mass Storage Device

Protocal Version: USB 2.00
Current Speed: High Speed
Max Current: 100mA

USB Device ID: VID = 1E3D PID = 198A

Device Revision: 0100

Manufacturer: ChipsBnk
Product Model: Flash Disk
Product Revision: 5.00

Controller Vendor: ChipsBank
Controller Part-Number: CBM2199E - [2019-11-11]
Flash ID code: ADDE94EB7444 - Hynix H27QCGDT2B - 1CE/Single Channel
[MLC-16K] -> Total Capacity = 8GB

Tools on web: http://dl.mydigit.net/special/up/chipsbank.html

The link is in Chinese, and the translation doesn't seem particularly
helpful.

Any further suggestions?

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: Brand New 8GB USB Stick Shows 'No Media'

<uefdd7$32dge$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7018&group=alt.windows7.general#7018

From: ed...@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Brand New 8GB USB Stick Shows 'No Media'
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 19:24:15 +0100
 by: Ed Cryer - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 18:24 UTC

Java Jive wrote:
> As per subject, bought pack of 3 here ...
>     https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BFWJVNDB
> ... 2 of which are fine, but the third died before or immediately upon
> inserting in PC.  I could just return them, but I'd already installed
> something on the other two, and anyway, I have other older ones in a
> similar condition, and if possible would like to find an actual solution.
>
> There's no end of 'help' out there on the web  -  for example, format
> the stick, but Windows merely prompts to insert media in it  -  but
> mostly they seemed to be copied from each other and make the same
> mistake in not realising that if Windows thinks there is no media in the
> drive, nothing really seems to work.
>
> I've got as far as running ChipGenius, which tells me the following:

> Device Type:        Mass Storage Device
>
> Protocal Version: USB 2.00
> Current Speed: High Speed
> Max Current: 100mA
>
> USB Device ID: VID = 1E3D PID = 198A
>
> Device Revision: 0100
>
> Manufacturer: ChipsBnk
> Product Model: Flash Disk
> Product Revision: 5.00
>
> Controller Vendor: ChipsBank
> Controller Part-Number: CBM2199E - [2019-11-11]
> Flash ID code:      ADDE94EB7444 - Hynix H27QCGDT2B - 1CE/Single Channel
> [MLC-16K] -> Total Capacity = 8GB
>
> Tools on web:       http://dl.mydigit.net/special/up/chipsbank.html
>
> The link is in Chinese, and the translation doesn't seem particularly
> helpful.
>
> Any further suggestions?

Throw it away and get on with your life.
It's a mere 8GB, one of three, and the other two work fine.
They're old stock, probably kept in a damp warehouse for years.
Life is good; but only if you know how to leapfrog over obvious hindrances.
Throw it away.
Ed

Re: Brand New 8GB USB Stick Shows 'No Media'

<nnd$5809e235$6425d575@e85c84add5264b9b>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7021&group=alt.windows7.general#7021

Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 23:36:32 +0200
From: burrynul...@ppllaanneett.nnll (Sjouke Burry)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
 by: Sjouke Burry - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 21:36 UTC

On 20.09.23 20:12, Java Jive wrote:
> As per subject, bought pack of 3 here ...
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BFWJVNDB
> ... 2 of which are fine, but the third died before or immediately upon
> inserting in PC. I could just return them, but I'd already installed
> something on the other two, and anyway, I have other older ones in a
> similar condition, and if possible would like to find an actual solution.
>
> There's no end of 'help' out there on the web - for example, format
> the stick, but Windows merely prompts to insert media in it - but
> mostly they seemed to be copied from each other and make the same
> mistake in not realising that if Windows thinks there is no media in the
> drive, nothing really seems to work.
>
> I've got as far as running ChipGenius, which tells me the following:

> Device Type: Mass Storage Device
>
> Protocal Version: USB 2.00
> Current Speed: High Speed
> Max Current: 100mA
>
> USB Device ID: VID = 1E3D PID = 198A
>
> Device Revision: 0100
>
> Manufacturer: ChipsBnk
> Product Model: Flash Disk
> Product Revision: 5.00
>
> Controller Vendor: ChipsBank
> Controller Part-Number: CBM2199E - [2019-11-11]
> Flash ID code: ADDE94EB7444 - Hynix H27QCGDT2B - 1CE/Single Channel
> [MLC-16K] -> Total Capacity = 8GB
>
> Tools on web: http://dl.mydigit.net/special/up/chipsbank.html
>
> The link is in Chinese, and the translation doesn't seem particularly
> helpful.
>
> Any further suggestions?

Get rufus-3.21p.exe, and re-format.

Re: Brand New 8GB USB Stick Shows 'No Media'

<oiacira3vi96.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7022&group=alt.windows7.general#7022

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 17:57:33 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 22:57 UTC

Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid> wrote:

> As per subject, bought pack of 3 here ...
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BFWJVNDB
> ... 2 of which are fine, but the third died before or immediately upon
> inserting in PC. I could just return them, but I'd already installed
> something on the other two, and anyway, I have other older ones in a
> similar condition, and if possible would like to find an actual solution.
>
> There's no end of 'help' out there on the web - for example, format
> the stick, but Windows merely prompts to insert media in it - but
> mostly they seemed to be copied from each other and make the same
> mistake in not realising that if Windows thinks there is no media in the
> drive, nothing really seems to work.
>
> I've got as far as running ChipGenius, which tells me the following:

> Device Type: Mass Storage Device
>
> Protocal Version: USB 2.00
> Current Speed: High Speed
> Max Current: 100mA
>
> USB Device ID: VID = 1E3D PID = 198A
>
> Device Revision: 0100
>
> Manufacturer: ChipsBnk
> Product Model: Flash Disk
> Product Revision: 5.00
>
> Controller Vendor: ChipsBank
> Controller Part-Number: CBM2199E - [2019-11-11]
> Flash ID code: ADDE94EB7444 - Hynix H27QCGDT2B - 1CE/Single Channel
> [MLC-16K] -> Total Capacity = 8GB
>
> Tools on web: http://dl.mydigit.net/special/up/chipsbank.html
>
> The link is in Chinese, and the translation doesn't seem particularly
> helpful.
>
> Any further suggestions?

Use Nirsoft's USBDevView. Plug in the USB drive, and run USBDevView.
Does USBDevView show the problematic USB flash drive? If so,
right-click on it, and select to uninstall the device. This will erase
the USB enumeration data in the registry for that device. If the enum
data is invalid or corrupted, it keeps getting reused for the device.
I've had to go under HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB[STOR] in the
registry to delete enum data for a device to force the USB handshaking
to retrieve fresh presentation data from the device. Nirsoft just makes
easier the task.

If that doesn't work, and considering all the effort you've tried, like
formatting, I'd just toss the cheap stuff unless you get free returns
from the seller. The Amazon ad says there are 30-day returns on that
item, but looks like you'll have to pay the shipping. If it was shipped
from Amazon, you have 14 days to start a return. Since it was a 3-pack
product, likely you'll have to return all 3 USB flash drives.

Rewboat is just the seller's name at Amazon. They claim to be a
manufacturer. Nope. Hoovers has nothing about them. Nothing at
Crushbase, either. Rewboat only has presence as an Amazon seller.

Those USB drives are really cheap quality. Even Newegg sells low-end
USB flash drives, like from Team.

I've never heard of Chipsbank, so I hunted around a little bit. Found:

https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/shenzhen-chipsbank-technologies

However, impossible to know what quality specs where handed to them by
whomever contracted them. Within the same plant, high and low quality
products with differing failure thresholds can be made. Depends on the
specs given to them by whomever is the customer making the order. I
highly doubt Rewboat submitted the specs with an order to Chipsbank.
They merely bought in bulk from some reseller.

Did you see this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5qWI-aCnIQ

Uses a Chipsbank UMPTool to fix the drive that shows as connected but
with no capacity, and cannot be formatted. The video doesn't give a
link to the UMPtool. Crunchbase says the home site is en.chipsbank.com,
but no such site (even with en. removed, or replaced with www.). The
domain is registered, and doesn't expire until 2028. Their server is
down, or too busy. You'll have to search for "chipsbank umptool".

Re: Brand New 8GB USB Stick Shows 'No Media'

<uefu5c$35h67$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7023&group=alt.windows7.general#7023

From: nob...@nowhere.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 16:10:33 -0700
 by: David E. Ross - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 23:10 UTC

On 9/20/2023 11:12 AM, Java Jive wrote:
> As per subject, bought pack of 3 here ...
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BFWJVNDB
> ... 2 of which are fine, but the third died before or immediately upon
> inserting in PC. I could just return them, but I'd already installed
> something on the other two, and anyway, I have other older ones in a
> similar condition, and if possible would like to find an actual solution.
>
> There's no end of 'help' out there on the web - for example, format
> the stick, but Windows merely prompts to insert media in it - but
> mostly they seemed to be copied from each other and make the same
> mistake in not realising that if Windows thinks there is no media in the
> drive, nothing really seems to work.
>
> I've got as far as running ChipGenius, which tells me the following:

> Device Type: Mass Storage Device
>
> Protocal Version: USB 2.00
> Current Speed: High Speed
> Max Current: 100mA
>
> USB Device ID: VID = 1E3D PID = 198A
>
> Device Revision: 0100
>
> Manufacturer: ChipsBnk
> Product Model: Flash Disk
> Product Revision: 5.00
>
> Controller Vendor: ChipsBank
> Controller Part-Number: CBM2199E - [2019-11-11]
> Flash ID code: ADDE94EB7444 - Hynix H27QCGDT2B - 1CE/Single Channel
> [MLC-16K] -> Total Capacity = 8GB
>
> Tools on web: http://dl.mydigit.net/special/up/chipsbank.html
>
> The link is in Chinese, and the translation doesn't seem particularly
> helpful.
>
> Any further suggestions?

I see
> Protocal Version: USB 2.00

Did you plug it into a USB 2 port or a USB 3 port? While USB 3 is
supposed to be able to handle USB 2 devices, that is not always true.
My color HP LaserJet Pro 200 (now 8 years old) worked but not well when
plugged into an USB 3 port. With only 1 USB 2 port in the back of my
PC's tower, I had to get a USB 2 hub because I also had a problem with
another USB 2 device.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rosde.com/>

X (previously known as Twitter) is the place where truth goes to die.

Re: Brand New 8GB USB Stick Shows 'No Media'

<uefv9t$35m0p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7024&group=alt.windows7.general#7024

From: man...@invalid.invalid (Manu)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 00:26:49 +0100
 by: Manu - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 23:26 UTC

On 20/09/2023 19:12, Java Jive wrote:
> As per subject, bought pack of 3 here ...
> ����https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BFWJVNDB
> ... 2 of which are fine, but the third died before or immediately upon
> inserting in PC.� I could just return them, but I'd already installed
> something on the other two, and anyway, I have other older ones in a
> similar condition, and if possible would like to find an actual solution.
>
> There's no end of 'help' out there on the web� -� for example, format
> the stick, but Windows merely prompts to insert media in it� -� but
> mostly they seemed to be copied from each other and make the same
> mistake in not realising that if Windows thinks there is no media in
> the drive, nothing really seems to work.
>
> I've got as far as running ChipGenius, which tells me the following:

> Device Type:������� Mass Storage Device
>
> Protocal Version: USB 2.00
> Current Speed: High Speed
> Max Current: 100mA
>
> USB Device ID: VID = 1E3D PID = 198A
>
> Device Revision: 0100
>
> Manufacturer: ChipsBnk
> Product Model: Flash Disk
> Product Revision: 5.00
>
> Controller Vendor: ChipsBank
> Controller Part-Number: CBM2199E - [2019-11-11]
> Flash ID code:����� ADDE94EB7444 - Hynix H27QCGDT2B - 1CE/Single
> Channel [MLC-16K] -> Total Capacity = 8GB
>
> Tools on web: http://dl.mydigit.net/special/up/chipsbank.html
>
> The link is in Chinese, and the translation doesn't seem particularly
> helpful.
>
> Any further suggestions?

Tried Disk Management to see if it can recognize it?

Re: Brand New 8GB USB Stick Shows 'No Media'

<uefvte$35jaa$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7025&group=alt.windows7.general#7025

From: wolverin...@charter.net (sticks)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 18:40:30 -0500
 by: sticks - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 23:40 UTC

On 9/20/2023 5:57 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
> If that doesn't work, and considering all the effort you've tried, like
> formatting, I'd just toss the cheap stuff unless you get free returns
> from the seller. The Amazon ad says there are 30-day returns on that
> item, but looks like you'll have to pay the shipping. If it was shipped
> from Amazon, you have 14 days to start a return. Since it was a 3-pack
> product, likely you'll have to return all 3 USB flash drives.

FWIW, when I bought a pair of 4GB sticks from Amazon and one of the two
was bad, I contacted them on the sale and requested a replacement,
though I don't recall the exact procedure. I explained the memtest I
had done and that one stick was fine, and though I had bought two, I
only needed ONE more that worked. They replied that a new stick would
be sent and that I did *NOT* have to return the faulty stick.

I got the feeling Amazon controlled this, and not really the China based
seller. Don't know for sure. It might be worth just complaining,
explaining, and requesting as you might just get another sent at no
additional work or cost. It costs them time and money for someone to
actually receive and handle an item that doesn't work. They don't want
that either.

sticks

Re: Brand New 8GB USB Stick Shows 'No Media'

<kn1j8cF4oplU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7026&group=alt.windows7.general#7026

From: void-inv...@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 02:06:20 +0100
 by: Brian Gregory - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 01:06 UTC

On 21/09/2023 00:10, David E. Ross wrote:
> Did you plug it into a USB 2 port or a USB 3 port? While USB 3 is
> supposed to be able to handle USB 2 devices, that is not always true.
> My color HP LaserJet Pro 200 (now 8 years old) worked but not well when
> plugged into an USB 3 port. With only 1 USB 2 port in the back of my
> PC's tower, I had to get a USB 2 hub because I also had a problem with
> another USB 2 device.

That's weird.
On most modern PCs the USB2 ports are USB3 ports without the extra four
USB3 contacts.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Re: Brand New 8GB USB Stick Shows 'No Media'

<kn1jcdF4oplU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7027&group=alt.windows7.general#7027

From: void-inv...@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 02:08:29 +0100
 by: Brian Gregory - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 01:08 UTC

On 20/09/2023 19:12, Java Jive wrote:
> Any further suggestions?

Does anything show up in Disk Management?

If it does maybe try formatting it from there?

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Re: Brand New 8GB USB Stick Shows 'No Media'

<81yT7GbAnADlFwTX@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7028&group=alt.windows7.general#7028

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 10:15:44 +0100
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 09:15 UTC

In message <kn1j8cF4oplU2@mid.individual.net> at Thu, 21 Sep 2023
02:06:20, Brian Gregory <void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid> writes
>On 21/09/2023 00:10, David E. Ross wrote:
>> Did you plug it into a USB 2 port or a USB 3 port? While USB 3 is
>> supposed to be able to handle USB 2 devices, that is not always true.
>> My color HP LaserJet Pro 200 (now 8 years old) worked but not well when
>> plugged into an USB 3 port. With only 1 USB 2 port in the back of my
>> PC's tower, I had to get a USB 2 hub because I also had a problem with
>> another USB 2 device.
>
>That's weird.
>On most modern PCs the USB2 ports are USB3 ports without the extra four
>USB3 contacts.

I'm puzzled: isn't a USB3 port without the extra contacts a USB2 port by
definition - or do you mean they have a higher current rating?

As the man said when confronted by a large dinner salad, "This isn't food.
This is what food eats."

Re: Brand New 8GB USB Stick Shows 'No Media'

<ueh76o$3g1nu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7029&group=alt.windows7.general#7029

From: jav...@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 11:51:01 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 10:51 UTC

On 20/09/2023 19:12, Java Jive wrote:
> As per subject, bought pack of 3 here ...
>     https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BFWJVNDB
> .... 2 of which are fine, but the third died before or immediately upon
> inserting in PC.  I could just return them, but I'd already installed
> something on the other two, and anyway, I have other older ones in a
> similar condition, and if possible would like to find an actual solution.
>
> There's no end of 'help' out there on the web  -  for example, format
> the stick, but Windows merely prompts to insert media in it  -  but
> mostly they seemed to be copied from each other and make the same
> mistake in not realising that if Windows thinks there is no media in the
> drive, nothing really seems to work.
>
> I've got as far as running ChipGenius, which tells me the following:

> Device Type:        Mass Storage Device
>
> Protocal Version: USB 2.00
> Current Speed: High Speed
> Max Current: 100mA
>
> USB Device ID: VID = 1E3D PID = 198A
>
> Device Revision: 0100
>
> Manufacturer: ChipsBnk
> Product Model: Flash Disk
> Product Revision: 5.00
>
> Controller Vendor: ChipsBank
> Controller Part-Number: CBM2199E - [2019-11-11]
> Flash ID code:      ADDE94EB7444 - Hynix H27QCGDT2B - 1CE/Single Channel
> [MLC-16K] -> Total Capacity = 8GB
>
> Tools on web:       http://dl.mydigit.net/special/up/chipsbank.html
>
> The link is in Chinese, and the translation doesn't seem particularly
> helpful.
>
> Any further suggestions?

Thanks for all the replies, all of which I've read, and from which it
seems I should have provided more details ...

The drive appears in Disk Management as Drive 1 F: No Media, but I can't
do anything with it there.

Rufus 3.22p can't see it.

I'll answer some of the more detailed help individually as and when I
work through it.

Tx again.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: Brand New 8GB USB Stick Shows 'No Media'

<ueh79q$3g1nu$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7030&group=alt.windows7.general#7030

From: jav...@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 11:52:41 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 10:52 UTC

On 21/09/2023 00:10, David E. Ross wrote:
> On 9/20/2023 11:12 AM, Java Jive wrote:
>> As per subject, bought pack of 3 here ...
>> https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BFWJVNDB
>> ... 2 of which are fine, but the third died before or immediately upon
>> inserting in PC. I could just return them, but I'd already installed
>> something on the other two, and anyway, I have other older ones in a
>> similar condition, and if possible would like to find an actual solution.
>>
>> There's no end of 'help' out there on the web - for example, format
>> the stick, but Windows merely prompts to insert media in it - but
>> mostly they seemed to be copied from each other and make the same
>> mistake in not realising that if Windows thinks there is no media in the
>> drive, nothing really seems to work.
>>
>> I've got as far as running ChipGenius, which tells me the following:

>> Device Type: Mass Storage Device
>>
>> Protocal Version: USB 2.00
>> Current Speed: High Speed
>> Max Current: 100mA
>>
>> USB Device ID: VID = 1E3D PID = 198A
>>
>> Device Revision: 0100
>>
>> Manufacturer: ChipsBnk
>> Product Model: Flash Disk
>> Product Revision: 5.00
>>
>> Controller Vendor: ChipsBank
>> Controller Part-Number: CBM2199E - [2019-11-11]
>> Flash ID code: ADDE94EB7444 - Hynix H27QCGDT2B - 1CE/Single Channel
>> [MLC-16K] -> Total Capacity = 8GB
>>
>> Tools on web: http://dl.mydigit.net/special/up/chipsbank.html
>>
>> The link is in Chinese, and the translation doesn't seem particularly
>> helpful.
>>
>> Any further suggestions?
>
> I see
>> Protocal Version: USB 2.00
>
> Did you plug it into a USB 2 port or a USB 3 port? While USB 3 is
> supposed to be able to handle USB 2 devices, that is not always true.
> My color HP LaserJet Pro 200 (now 8 years old) worked but not well when
> plugged into an USB 3 port. With only 1 USB 2 port in the back of my
> PC's tower, I had to get a USB 2 hub because I also had a problem with
> another USB 2 device.

The drive appears and behaves the same in a PC with both USB2 and USB3
and another with just USB2.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: Brand New 8GB USB Stick Shows 'No Media'

<uehl0b$3iopg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7031&group=alt.windows7.general#7031

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 10:46:32 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 14:46 UTC

On 9/20/2023 9:06 PM, Brian Gregory wrote:
> On 21/09/2023 00:10, David E. Ross wrote:
>> Did you plug it into a USB 2 port or a USB 3 port?  While USB 3 is
>> supposed to be able to handle USB 2 devices, that is not always true.
>> My color HP LaserJet Pro 200 (now 8 years old) worked but not well when
>> plugged into an USB 3 port.  With only 1 USB 2 port in the back of my
>> PC's tower, I had to get a USB 2 hub because I also had a problem with
>> another USB 2 device.
>
> That's weird.
> On most modern PCs the USB2 ports are USB3 ports without the extra four USB3 contacts.

I certainly hope this is not true.

If a manufacturer is to "fake" a USB2 port, they can use a
USB3 XHCI interface on the Southbridge, and remove *five* contacts leaving the legacy
four contacts which form the USB2 portion.

TX+ \
TX- \
GND \___ This interface is for high speed transport.
RX+ / Only one of two transport interfaces run at a time.
RX- / Either D+/D- send the data, or TX/RX send the data, but not both at once.

VCC \
D+ \___ This interface brings the port up
D- /
GND /

When you fake a USB2 port, it uses these pins. But, the driver (a Windows 7 issue)
would need to be the XHCI driver, which is not an in-box driver. A "real" USB2 port
would use EHCI/OHCI which is an in-box class driver.

VCC \
D+ \___ This interface brings the port up
D- / If port is XHCI, needs XHCI driver. Else, uses one of the other two drivers.
GND /

As I understand it, when a USB3 device (all nine pins) plugs
into a USB3 port (all nine pins), first the devices negotiate
via the four USB2 contacts. Once the negotiation is done there,
they attempt to use the TX and RX diff pairs on the five contact
section.

The TX and RX pins can operate at two rates. 5Gbit/sec and 10Gbit/sec.
I have a "red" connector on the back of my PC, which is 10Gbit/sec.
Some electrical standards can kinda "train up on their own", such
as PCI Express and SATA. But along the way, both of those had problems
with that automated training. Some PCI Express 2.0 video cards, had to
be "re-flashed" causing them to only attempt Rev 1.1 rates. And VIA SATA
Southbridges would get "stuck" going from SATA I to SATA II (fixed on
chips such as 8237-S).

The legacy four pins should always be there, as they bootstrap
initialization of the device. The five pin section is optional.

I have a USB3 stick, where on the first day I got it, a pin on
the five pin section snapped off (because the connector section is
plastic and does not align properly on insertion). That stick
continued to work, but was limited to 30MB/sec USB2 rates.

Paul

Re: Brand New 8GB USB Stick Shows 'No Media'

<uehm4u$3j0ba$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7033&group=alt.windows7.general#7033

From: nob...@nowhere.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 08:06:03 -0700
 by: David E. Ross - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 15:06 UTC

On 9/20/2023 6:06 PM, Brian Gregory wrote:
> On 21/09/2023 00:10, David E. Ross wrote:
>> Did you plug it into a USB 2 port or a USB 3 port? While USB 3 is
>> supposed to be able to handle USB 2 devices, that is not always true.
>> My color HP LaserJet Pro 200 (now 8 years old) worked but not well when
>> plugged into an USB 3 port. With only 1 USB 2 port in the back of my
>> PC's tower, I had to get a USB 2 hub because I also had a problem with
>> another USB 2 device.
>
> That's weird.
> On most modern PCs the USB2 ports are USB3 ports without the extra four
> USB3 contacts.

After 8 years, I do not recall the details. I do recall that Windows 7
(still my current system) would often crash while I was printing through
a USB 3 port, but I have not had that happen when the printer was
plugged into a USB 2 port.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rosde.com/>

X (previously known as Twitter) is the place where truth goes to die.

Re: Brand New 8GB USB Stick Shows 'No Media'

<uehmva$3j5hr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7034&group=alt.windows7.general#7034

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 11:20:07 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 15:20 UTC

On 9/20/2023 2:12 PM, Java Jive wrote:
> As per subject, bought pack of 3 here ...
>     https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BFWJVNDB
> ... 2 of which are fine, but the third died before or immediately upon inserting in PC.  I could just return them, but I'd already installed something on the other two, and anyway, I have other older ones in a similar condition, and if possible would like to find an actual solution.
>
> There's no end of 'help' out there on the web  -  for example, format the stick, but Windows merely prompts to insert media in it  -  but mostly they seemed to be copied from each other and make the same mistake in not realising that if Windows thinks there is no media in the drive, nothing really seems to work.
>
> I've got as far as running ChipGenius, which tells me the following:

> Device Type:        Mass Storage Device
>
> Protocal Version: USB 2.00
> Current Speed: High Speed
> Max Current: 100mA
>
> USB Device ID: VID = 1E3D PID = 198A
>
> Device Revision: 0100
>
> Manufacturer: ChipsBnk
> Product Model: Flash Disk
> Product Revision: 5.00
>
> Controller Vendor: ChipsBank
> Controller Part-Number: CBM2199E - [2019-11-11]
> Flash ID code:      ADDE94EB7444 - Hynix H27QCGDT2B - 1CE/Single Channel [MLC-16K] -> Total Capacity = 8GB
>
> Tools on web:       http://dl.mydigit.net/special/up/chipsbank.html
>
> The link is in Chinese, and the translation doesn't seem particularly helpful.
>
> Any further suggestions?

1e3d Chipsbank Microelectronics Co., Ltd <=== "Never heard of them..."
198a Flash Disk
2093 CBM209x Flash Drive (OEM)
4082 CBM4082 SD Card Reader

The CBM2199E is not listed as such, in usb.ids file.
But this is also not that unusual, that an ID is missing.
The "official" USB list is a state secret, and only USB.org has a copy.
There really is such a file. The usb.ids are assembled via user identifications,
and it takes a while to "trust" such IDs.

Since the utility is able to probe as far as the Hynix chip,
the device is likely "function" but "unprogrammed" and
the stick likely skipped a step on the production line.

USB devices will not communicate, unless they can open "Endpoints".
No Endpoints, no comms in software. Endpoints must have formed
in this case, for ChipGenius to work.

Maybe they threw in an unprogrammed one as "bait".

*******

https://usb-fix.blogspot.com/p/chipsbank.html

Some USB devices, will not answer a probe from the system side,
unless the peripheral-specific function on the other side "comes up".
For example, some disk adapter cables, won't speak, unless the
hard drive begins to turn and the "critical data section" from
sector -1 loads. (Hard drive runtime "firmware", comes off the platter.)

Very few USB flash programming softwares, have escaped from the factory and
fallen into civilian hands.

When you see stuff like this, the result will likely be an eye-roll of fun
(malware... malware... badly-written-stuff... malware). There is no way
to know where the software has come from.

https://usb-fix.blogspot.com/p/chipsbank.html

Hi sir i need a tool for CBM2199A -[2017-12-12] please help sir

Nov.30,2019 [According to archive.org, link was dead a few years ago]
DOWNLOAD UMPTOOL CBM2199A https://desiupload.co/2lc9fayjd1qz

Here is an example of a "happy customer" playing with fire :-)
You see, in this case, the seller pretends the stick was made by Samsung.
Yet, the customer was able to "revive it". But this is a TLC-sized chip,
so in the end, the usual issues will arise. The "root cause" of the
failure here, was Rufus writing the MBR as Sector 0, seemed to blow up
the stick. I would be careful then, using the stick for any "practical purpose" :-)
You have to be able to write sector 0, this is not "optional".

https://superuser.com/questions/1681266/brand-new-fake-samsung-32-gb-usb-flash-drive-destroyed-trying-to-make-a-bootab

Paul

Re: Brand New 8GB USB Stick Shows 'No Media'

<uehvse$3kqtp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7038&group=alt.windows7.general#7038

From: jav...@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 18:52:12 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 17:52 UTC

On 20/09/2023 23:57, VanguardLH wrote:
> Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> As per subject, bought pack of 3 here ...
>> https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BFWJVNDB
>> ... 2 of which are fine, but the third died before or immediately upon
>> inserting in PC. I could just return them, but I'd already installed
>> something on the other two, and anyway, I have other older ones in a
>> similar condition, and if possible would like to find an actual solution.
>>
>> There's no end of 'help' out there on the web - for example, format
>> the stick, but Windows merely prompts to insert media in it - but
>> mostly they seemed to be copied from each other and make the same
>> mistake in not realising that if Windows thinks there is no media in the
>> drive, nothing really seems to work.

VERY IMPORTANT! See Malware warning below.

>> I've got as far as running ChipGenius, which tells me the following:

>> Device Type: Mass Storage Device
>>
>> Protocal Version: USB 2.00
>> Current Speed: High Speed
>> Max Current: 100mA
>>
>> USB Device ID: VID = 1E3D PID = 198A
>>
>> Device Revision: 0100
>>
>> Manufacturer: ChipsBnk
>> Product Model: Flash Disk
>> Product Revision: 5.00
>>
>> Controller Vendor: ChipsBank
>> Controller Part-Number: CBM2199E - [2019-11-11]
>> Flash ID code: ADDE94EB7444 - Hynix H27QCGDT2B - 1CE/Single Channel
>> [MLC-16K] -> Total Capacity = 8GB
>>
>> Tools on web: http://dl.mydigit.net/special/up/chipsbank.html
>>
>> The link is in Chinese, and the translation doesn't seem particularly
>> helpful.
>>
>> Any further suggestions?

AN IMPORTANT WARNING FOR THOSE WHO WOULD FOLLOW, THESE SORTS OF PROGRAMS
ARE LIKELY SOURCES OF MALWARE!

To begin with, MalwareBytes updated itself yesterday evening when I
tried to use it, and thereafter the <right-click> + 'Scan with
MalwareBytes' option didn't work in Explorer (but is working now,
presumably because I've had since to log out and back in), so I had to
content myself with running a default scan, and it failed to find
malware in the ChipGenius program that I ran. Damn, but fortunately I
have a comparatively recent image of the system disk to which I have now
reverted, just to be on the safe side.

I've now found an apparently clean version of ChipGenius here:

https://chipgenius.en.lo4d.com/download

So far so bad and good, but there are further malware warnings below ...

> Use Nirsoft's USBDevView. Plug in the USB drive, and run USBDevView.
> Does USBDevView show the problematic USB flash drive? If so,
> right-click on it, and select to uninstall the device. This will erase
> the USB enumeration data in the registry for that device. If the enum
> data is invalid or corrupted, it keeps getting reused for the device.
> I've had to go under HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB[STOR] in the
> registry to delete enum data for a device to force the USB handshaking
> to retrieve fresh presentation data from the device. Nirsoft just makes
> easier the task.

I have USBDevView installed, so I tried this, but it made no difference.
I suspected that it wouldn't because the stick had already behaved the
same in 2 different PCs.

> If that doesn't work, and considering all the effort you've tried, like
> formatting, I'd just toss the cheap stuff unless you get free returns
> from the seller. The Amazon ad says there are 30-day returns on that
> item, but looks like you'll have to pay the shipping. If it was shipped
> from Amazon, you have 14 days to start a return. Since it was a 3-pack
> product, likely you'll have to return all 3 USB flash drives.
>
> Rewboat is just the seller's name at Amazon. They claim to be a
> manufacturer. Nope. Hoovers has nothing about them. Nothing at
> Crushbase, either. Rewboat only has presence as an Amazon seller.
>
> Those USB drives are really cheap quality. Even Newegg sells low-end
> USB flash drives, like from Team.
>
> I've never heard of Chipsbank, so I hunted around a little bit. Found:
>
> https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/shenzhen-chipsbank-technologies
>
> However, impossible to know what quality specs where handed to them by
> whomever contracted them. Within the same plant, high and low quality
> products with differing failure thresholds can be made. Depends on the
> specs given to them by whomever is the customer making the order. I
> highly doubt Rewboat submitted the specs with an order to Chipsbank.
> They merely bought in bulk from some reseller.
>
> Did you see this one?
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5qWI-aCnIQ
>
> Uses a Chipsbank UMPTool to fix the drive that shows as connected but
> with no capacity, and cannot be formatted. The video doesn't give a
> link to the UMPtool. Crunchbase says the home site is en.chipsbank.com,
> but no such site (even with en. removed, or replaced with www.). The
> domain is registered, and doesn't expire until 2028. Their server is
> down, or too busy. You'll have to search for "chipsbank umptool".

Thanks for that, as a result I've 'refurbished' both that stick and two
others that I had all but given up on. However ...

I watched the video this morning, but when I tried to follow the link
below it to the UMPTool, I got sent to a porn/phishing site, can't
remember the details now but it threw up a box about someone or other
wanting sex; well, don't we all, but at my age any chance of getting it
is just a distant daydream. When I tried a search for Chipsbank
CBM2199E UMPTool, I found ...

CBM219X_UMPToolV7200(2022-04-28).rar

.... which MalwareBytes flagged as having malware in the LoginTool
folder. However, once that folder had been deleted, MB flagged the rest
of it as being clean. I used the tool choosing the factory flash
option, and this 'refurbished' the stick back to 7.48 real GB, or 8GB
nominal.

Then I tried another two, which both had Alcor chips, so I searched for
their UMPTool and found ...

ALCOR_U2_MP_v20.09.16_MD.7z

.... which, almost surprisingly by now, turned out to be clean, and this
'refurbished' both back to the 1GB they had originally actually been,
although one had been sold as 4GB, and the other 2GB!

I've saved all three programs for future use, the ChipsBank one in a
new-made 7-zip without the malware folder!

Despite the hazards encountered on the way, thanks for the initial pointer.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk