Xerox never comes up with anything original.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Strane things happening

SubjectAuthor
* Strane things happeningMajorLanGod
+* Re: Strane things happeningZaidy036
|`- Re: Strane things happening...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
+- Re: Strane things happeningDanS
+* Re: Strane things happeningJeff Barnett
|`- Re: Strane things happeningMajorLanGod
+- Re: Strane things happeningPaul
`- Re: Strane things happeningT

1
Strane things happening

<XnsAFE5A0A1D2C53lonelydad58.gmail.co@85.12.62.251>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=70365&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#70365

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Strane things happening
From: lonelyda...@gmail.com (MajorLanGod)
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2023 20:47:26 GMT
 by: MajorLanGod - Thu, 13 Apr 2023 20:47 UTC

Just resolved an interestin problem with my taxes. Background: I am using
the current version of Win 11 as updated, and the Firefox browser as
updated. I have been trying off and on for over a week to download my SSA
statement for 1922, but myssa.gov wouln't let me log in. The nice lady on
the phone suggested that I change my password. Every time I tried the page
blew up. Interestin thing is when I used Firefox on my android tablet
everything worked fine, but I couldn't find a way to get the form to
download. I had decided to file for an extension and have SS send my a
paper copy, but decided to try one more thing. I loaded Edge (I know -
aaa!)and tried one more time. Lo and behold it worked! I was able to
download the form I needed and all is right with the world. As the song
says 'Strange things happen in this world'

Re: Strane things happening

<u19rp7$130ub$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=70366&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#70366

From: Zaidy...@air.isp.spam (Zaidy036)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Strane things happening
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2023 17:21:43 -0400
 by: Zaidy036 - Thu, 13 Apr 2023 21:21 UTC

On 4/13/2023 4:47 PM, MajorLanGod wrote:
> Just resolved an interestin problem with my taxes. Background: I am using
> the current version of Win 11 as updated, and the Firefox browser as
> updated. I have been trying off and on for over a week to download my SSA
> statement for 1922, but myssa.gov wouln't let me log in. The nice lady on
> the phone suggested that I change my password. Every time I tried the page
> blew up. Interestin thing is when I used Firefox on my android tablet
> everything worked fine, but I couldn't find a way to get the form to
> download. I had decided to file for an extension and have SS send my a
> paper copy, but decided to try one more thing. I loaded Edge (I know -
> aaa!)and tried one more time. Lo and behold it worked! I was able to
> download the form I needed and all is right with the world. As the song
> says 'Strange things happen in this world'
I hope that was a typo instead of 2022

Re: Strane things happening

<u1a0le$15no8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=70367&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#70367

From: winston...@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2023 15:44:57 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Thu, 13 Apr 2023 22:44 UTC

Zaidy036 wrote on 4/13/2023 2:21 PM:
> On 4/13/2023 4:47 PM, MajorLanGod wrote:
>> Just resolved an interestin problem with my taxes. Background: I am using
>> the current version of Win 11 as updated, and the Firefox browser as
>> updated. I have been trying off and on for over a week to download my SSA
>> statement for 1922, but myssa.gov wouln't let me log in. The nice lady on
>> the phone suggested that I change my password. Every time I tried the page
>> blew up. Interestin thing is when I used Firefox on my android tablet
>> everything worked fine, but I couldn't find a way to get the form to
>> download. I had decided to file for an extension and have SS send my a
>> paper copy, but decided to try one more thing. I loaded Edge (I know  -
>> aaa!)and tried one more time. Lo and behold it worked! I was able to
>> download the form I needed and all is right with the world. As the song
>> says 'Strange things happen in this world'
> I hope that was a typo instead of 2022

Let's hope so. The first SS number was issued in 1936.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Strane things happening

<XnsAFE5C3FE149E7thisnthatroadrunnern@69.80.102.22>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=70368&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#70368

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: t.h.i.s....@r.o.a.d.r.u.n.n.e.r.c.o.m (DanS)
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2023 23:16:00 +0000
 by: DanS - Thu, 13 Apr 2023 23:16 UTC

?? Good Guy ?? <Hello.World@example.onion> wrote in

> Anybody with a modicum of intelligence should know that Microsoft
> Edge and Google Chrome are the standard browsers currently
> available.

....Chromium is a valid option as well, and available w/o the Google or MS branding and
data harvesting options.

Re: Strane things happening

<u1a51t$16asa$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=70370&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#70370

From: jbb...@notatt.com (Jeff Barnett)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2023 17:59:55 -0600
 by: Jeff Barnett - Thu, 13 Apr 2023 23:59 UTC

On 4/13/2023 2:47 PM, MajorLanGod wrote:
> Just resolved an interestin problem with my taxes. Background: I am using
> the current version of Win 11 as updated, and the Firefox browser as
> updated. I have been trying off and on for over a week to download my SSA
> statement for 1922, but myssa.gov wouln't let me log in. The nice lady on
> the phone suggested that I change my password. Every time I tried the page
> blew up. Interestin thing is when I used Firefox on my android tablet
> everything worked fine, but I couldn't find a way to get the form to
> download. I had decided to file for an extension and have SS send my a
> paper copy, but decided to try one more thing. I loaded Edge (I know -
> aaa!)and tried one more time. Lo and behold it worked! I was able to
> download the form I needed and all is right with the world. As the song
> says 'Strange things happen in this world'

I've had a similar problem with the New Mexico "Where's My Refund" site,
part of what they call their TAP. I can't use my current login and it
doesn't perform correctly when I try to update my password. I wondered
if it's the same bug?
--
Jeff Barnett

Re: Strane things happening

<u1a7qe$16siv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=70371&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#70371

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2023 20:47:09 -0400
 by: Paul - Fri, 14 Apr 2023 00:47 UTC

On 4/13/2023 4:47 PM, MajorLanGod wrote:
> Just resolved an interestin problem with my taxes. Background: I am using
> the current version of Win 11 as updated, and the Firefox browser as
> updated. I have been trying off and on for over a week to download my SSA
> statement for 1922, but myssa.gov wouln't let me log in. The nice lady on
> the phone suggested that I change my password. Every time I tried the page
> blew up. Interestin thing is when I used Firefox on my android tablet
> everything worked fine, but I couldn't find a way to get the form to
> download. I had decided to file for an extension and have SS send my a
> paper copy, but decided to try one more thing. I loaded Edge (I know -
> aaa!)and tried one more time. Lo and behold it worked! I was able to
> download the form I needed and all is right with the world. As the song
> says 'Strange things happen in this world'

Some login algorithms require correct time on the computer clock.
Including correct time zone, DST, and BIOS clock setting.

Is everything OK in that regard ?

I've been caught a couple times like that. Didn't
set my clock right.

https://nist.time.gov/

"Your clock is off by +1.080 seconds"

Paul

Re: Strane things happening

<u1an13$1chhr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=70372&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#70372

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2023 22:06:43 -0700
 by: T - Fri, 14 Apr 2023 05:06 UTC

On 4/13/23 13:47, MajorLanGod wrote:
> Just resolved an interestin problem with my taxes. Background: I am using
> the current version of Win 11 as updated, and the Firefox browser as
> updated. I have been trying off and on for over a week to download my SSA
> statement for 1922, but myssa.gov wouln't let me log in. The nice lady on
> the phone suggested that I change my password. Every time I tried the page
> blew up. Interestin thing is when I used Firefox on my android tablet
> everything worked fine, but I couldn't find a way to get the form to
> download. I had decided to file for an extension and have SS send my a
> paper copy, but decided to try one more thing. I loaded Edge (I know -
> aaa!)and tried one more time. Lo and behold it worked! I was able to
> download the form I needed and all is right with the world. As the song
> says 'Strange things happen in this world'

What you are experiencing is a market share thing.

The "Blink" rendering engine (Chrome, Chromium, Edge,
Brave, Vivaldi, etc.) was somewhere around 80% market
share. The "Gekko" rendering engine (Firefox, waterfox,
ice weasel, sea monkey, etc.) has only around something
like 7% market share.

So the developers develop on Blink and when they get
bored will fix Gekko. And it does not help that Gekko
won't work around bugs in your code as Blink will do,
so the developers blow Gekko off as too strict.

What I recommend to my customers is to install both
Firefox and Brave Browser. If one does not work,
use the other. 90% of the time it is Gekko not
working.

Also Brave Browser does not spy, have build in
ad blocking, and is considered grandparent safe.

https://brave.com

Also Brave has a private window with TOR feature that
allows you to surf with complete anonymity. It
is good for looking up things that are no one else's
business, such as medical things or things that law
enforcement would take the wrong way, such as the
common name for the Polyacrylic acid polymer.

DO NOT LOOK THAT ONE UP UNLESS YOU ARE ON TOR!!!!
Put a space between the r and the b and you will
see what I mean.

Re: Strane things happening

<XnsAFE6A29DA2D50lonelydad58.gmail.co@85.12.62.251>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=70381&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#70381

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: lonelyda...@gmail.com (MajorLanGod)
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 20:59:08 GMT
 by: MajorLanGod - Fri, 14 Apr 2023 20:59 UTC

Jeff Barnett <jbb@notatt.com> wrote in

> On 4/13/2023 2:47 PM, MajorLanGod wrote:
>
> I've had a similar problem with the New Mexico "Where's My Refund"
> site, part of what they call their TAP. I can't use my current login
> and it doesn't perform correctly when I try to update my password. I
> wondered if it's the same bug?
I'm pretty sure it's just a setting thing in Firefox, but the situation is
resolved so I'm not going to worry about it. If it happens again I will
take the time to debug.