From: wNOSP...@gmail.org (pH)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: CUPS problem
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 03:08:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: pH - Mon, 14 Feb 2022 03:08 UTC

This is going to be kind of scanty and hopefully I'll get instructions on
what to do/supply next.

The story:
Computer One runs Mint 20 something and has an HP6960 printer attached to
it. Works fine.

Computer Two is a RPi 4.0 w/ CUPS installed. Wife uses this and it has
generally been trouble-free.

Two has found the printer via wifi and has in general been working fine.
Occasionally the printer would go into "paused" for no reason I could ever
determine.
I'd go into CUPS on the pi, select "resume printer" and all would be well.

Then one day I messed up on the admin password several times and got locked
out. From then on CUPS would no longer admin the printer even with the
correct user/password.

I got around this with "sudo cupsenable <printername>" whenever it would
lock out and all would be well.

Today she came to me with the "printer not working" complaint. Now the
"cupsenable" command is not freeing the printer.

Everything I attempt inside cups for this printer is met with a "not
allowed" response.

Question:
How can I reset the failed password lockout that I apparently triggered in
CUPS and which is persisting? Is there a config file to delve into?

Printer is fine locally.

There is one time I recall that CUPS was trying to talk to our wifi repeater
instead of the printer, but I can't remember how I resolved that issue....

Still, my man question is how to remove the failed login which is apparently
still keeping me out.

pH

Re: CUPS problem

<ygaee45sed1.fsf@akutech.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7035&group=comp.os.linux.misc#7035

From: ralf...@gmx.de (Ralf Fassel)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: CUPS problem
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 15:38:02 +0100
 by: Ralf Fassel - Mon, 14 Feb 2022 14:38 UTC

Not answering your main question, 'but'...

* pH <wNOSPAMp@gmail.org>
| Computer Two is a RPi 4.0 w/ CUPS installed. Wife uses this and it has
| generally been trouble-free.
>
| Two has found the printer via wifi and has in general been working fine.
| Occasionally the printer would go into "paused" for no reason I could ever
| determine.
| I'd go into CUPS on the pi, select "resume printer" and all would be well.

We had the same problem, it was mainly caused by sending a print job
while the printer was switched off. Then according to the default
'ErrorPolicy' configuration of 'stop-printer' in
/etc/cups/printers.conf, CUPS would disable the printer. Very annoying...

The solution was to change the "ErrorPolicy" to "retry-job" in that file
for all printers.

https://linux.die.net/man/5/printers.conf

HTH
R'

Re: CUPS problem

<sugr39$hqq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7044&group=comp.os.linux.misc#7044

From: wNOSP...@gmail.org (pH)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2022 18:23:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: pH - Tue, 15 Feb 2022 18:23 UTC

On 2022-02-14, Ralf Fassel <ralfixx@gmx.de> wrote:
> Not answering your main question, 'but'...
>
> * pH <wNOSPAMp@gmail.org>
>| Computer Two is a RPi 4.0 w/ CUPS installed. Wife uses this and it has
>| generally been trouble-free.
>>
>| Two has found the printer via wifi and has in general been working fine.
>| Occasionally the printer would go into "paused" for no reason I could ever
>| determine.
>| I'd go into CUPS on the pi, select "resume printer" and all would be well.
>
> We had the same problem, it was mainly caused by sending a print job
> while the printer was switched off. Then according to the default
> 'ErrorPolicy' configuration of 'stop-printer' in
> /etc/cups/printers.conf, CUPS would disable the printer. Very annoying...
>
> The solution was to change the "ErrorPolicy" to "retry-job" in that file
> for all printers.
>
> https://linux.die.net/man/5/printers.conf
>
> HTH
> R'

Thanks for this tip...I can see the jobs pile up on the printer...it just
won't let me do any admin on it, even a test page.
pH

Re: CUPS problem

<ygaa6esrn3u.fsf@akutech.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7045&group=comp.os.linux.misc#7045

From: ralf...@gmx.de (Ralf Fassel)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2022 19:39:01 +0100
 by: Ralf Fassel - Tue, 15 Feb 2022 18:39 UTC

* pH <wNOSPAMp@gmail.org>
| Thanks for this tip...I can see the jobs pile up on the printer...it
| just won't let me do any admin on it, even a test page.

https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/cups-username-and-password-156986/

mentions editing /etc/cups/cupsd.conf

https://www.cups.org/doc/man-cupsd.conf.html

probably something in there has changed unrelated to your 'messing-up'?
Also reinstalling CUPS might be worth a try...

Good luck!
R'

Re: CUPS problem

<yga5ypgrn27.fsf@akutech.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7046&group=comp.os.linux.misc#7046

From: ralf...@gmx.de (Ralf Fassel)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2022 19:40:00 +0100
 by: Ralf Fassel - Tue, 15 Feb 2022 18:40 UTC

* Ralf Fassel <ralfixx@gmx.de>
| * pH <wNOSPAMp@gmail.org>
| | Thanks for this tip...I can see the jobs pile up on the printer...it
| | just won't let me do any admin on it, even a test page.
>
| https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/cups-username-and-password-156986/
>
| mentions editing /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
>
| https://www.cups.org/doc/man-cupsd.conf.html
>
| probably something in there has changed unrelated to your 'messing-up'?
| Also reinstalling CUPS might be worth a try...

Ah, and of course take a look into the CUPS logfile.

R'