"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." -- Will Rogers

computers / alt.windows7.general / Re: How to disable the ' Win 7' warning on Edge?

SubjectAuthor
* How to disable the ' Win 7' warning on Edge?occam
+* Re: How to disable the ' Win 7' warning on Edge?Paul
|`* Re: How to disable the ' Win 7' warning on Edge?occam
| `* Re: How to disable the ' Win 7' warning on Edge?sticks
|  +- Re: How to disable the ' Win 7' warning on Edge?JJ
|  `- Re: How to disable the ' Win 7' warning on Edge?occam
`* Re: How to disable the ' Win 7' warning on Edge?Michael Trew
 +* Re: How to disable the ' Win 7' warning on Edge?sticks
 |`* Re: How to disable the ' Win 7' warning on Edge?Michael Trew
 | `* Re: How to disable the ' Win 7' warning on Edge?Paul
 |  `* Re: How to disable the ' Win 7' warning on Edge?Michael Trew
 |   `- Re: How to disable the ' Win 7' warning on Edge?Paul
 +* Re: How to disable the ' Win 7' warning on Edge?occam
 |`* Re: How to disable the ' Win 7' warning on Edge?sticks
 | `* Re: How to disable the ' Win 7' warning on Edge?sticks
 |  `- Re: How to disable the ' Win 7' warning on Edge?occam
 `* Re: How to disable the ' Win 7' warning on Edge?Mark Lloyd
  `* Re: How to disable the ' Win 7' warning on Edge?Michael Trew
   `- Re: How to disable the ' Win 7' warning on Edge?Mark Lloyd

1
How to disable the ' Win 7' warning on Edge?

<kmo0h8FiqpdU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6976&group=alt.windows7.general#6976

From: occ...@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: How to disable the ' Win 7' warning on Edge?
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 11:51:35 +0200
 by: occam - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 09:51 UTC

Not only have microsoft discontinued the updates on Edge for Win 7 (BTW
I couldn't give a fig) there is now a warning every time I start the
Edge browser.

Is there a way I can disable this annoying message for good - not just
for the session? (The Message says something like "Microsoft Edge no
longer supports Win 7. Please update to the next version of Windows."

Thanks for any pointers.

Re: How to disable the ' Win 7' warning on Edge?

<ue6j8l$ausl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6977&group=alt.windows7.general#6977

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: How to disable the ' Win 7' warning on Edge?
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 06:09:23 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 10:09 UTC

On 9/17/2023 5:51 AM, occam wrote:
> Not only have microsoft discontinued the updates on Edge for Win 7 (BTW
> I couldn't give a fig) there is now a warning every time I start the
> Edge browser.
>
> Is there a way I can disable this annoying message for good - not just
> for the session? (The Message says something like "Microsoft Edge no
> longer supports Win 7. Please update to the next version of Windows."
>
> Thanks for any pointers.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftedge/forum/all/removing-the-ms-edge-message-in-windows-7/6540d4d8-9e76-4377-8c5c-5f3f84a17d34

If you want to remove the warning banner for all Windows users:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft
SuppressUnsupportedOSWarning DWORD32 1

If you want to remove the warning banner for only current user:

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft
SuppressUnsupportedOSWarning DWORD32 1

To do the same for Google Chrome

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Policies\Google\Chrome
SuppressUnsupportedOSWarning DWORD32 1

( https://www.askvg.com/disable-or-remove-unsupported-os-warning-in-chrome-and-edge-on-windows-7-and-8-1/ )

Paul

Re: How to disable the ' Win 7' warning on Edge?

<kmock2FkcqbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6981&group=alt.windows7.general#6981

From: occ...@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 15:17:54 +0200
 by: occam - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 13:17 UTC

On 17/09/2023 12:09, Paul wrote:
> On 9/17/2023 5:51 AM, occam wrote:
>> Not only have microsoft discontinued the updates on Edge for Win 7 (BTW
>> I couldn't give a fig) there is now a warning every time I start the
>> Edge browser.
>>
>> Is there a way I can disable this annoying message for good - not just
>> for the session? (The Message says something like "Microsoft Edge no
>> longer supports Win 7. Please update to the next version of Windows."
>>
>> Thanks for any pointers.
>>

> https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftedge/forum/all/removing-the-ms-edge-message-in-windows-7/6540d4d8-9e76-4377-8c5c-5f3f84a17d34
>
> If you want to remove the warning banner for all Windows users:
>
> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft
> SuppressUnsupportedOSWarning DWORD32 1
>
> If you want to remove the warning banner for only current user:
>
> HKCU\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft
> SuppressUnsupportedOSWarning DWORD32 1
>
> To do the same for Google Chrome
>
> HKCU\SOFTWARE\Policies\Google\Chrome
> SuppressUnsupportedOSWarning DWORD32 1
>
> ( https://www.askvg.com/disable-or-remove-unsupported-os-warning-in-chrome-and-edge-on-windows-7-and-8-1/ )
>
> Paul

Hmm, not too keen on fiddling with the registry values. I may have a go
at it if I pluck up enough courage.

Re: How to disable the ' Win 7' warning on Edge?

<ue70ne$d8n0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6982&group=alt.windows7.general#6982

From: wolverin...@charter.net (sticks)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 08:59:08 -0500
 by: sticks - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 13:59 UTC

On 9/17/2023 8:17 AM, occam wrote:
> On 17/09/2023 12:09, Paul wrote:
>> On 9/17/2023 5:51 AM, occam wrote:
>>> Not only have microsoft discontinued the updates on Edge for Win 7 (BTW
>>> I couldn't give a fig) there is now a warning every time I start the
>>> Edge browser.
>>>
>>> Is there a way I can disable this annoying message for good - not just
>>> for the session? (The Message says something like "Microsoft Edge no
>>> longer supports Win 7. Please update to the next version of Windows."

---snip---

>> ( https://www.askvg.com/disable-or-remove-unsupported-os-warning-in-chrome-and-edge-on-windows-7-and-8-1/ )
>>
>> Paul
>
> Hmm, not too keen on fiddling with the registry values. I may have a go
> at it if I pluck up enough courage.

That is a great find Paul, and thank you for that!

For the less experienced user, the link above also has a downloadable
..reg file that does the work for you. I downloaded it and took a look
and it is OK. Also contains the restore banner .reg file if you want to
love to have those annoying banners disappear.

Re: How to disable the ' Win 7' warning on Edge?

<ue76a2$e812$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6983&group=alt.windows7.general#6983

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 11:34:34 -0400
 by: Michael Trew - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 15:34 UTC

On 9/17/2023 5:51 AM, occam wrote:
> Not only have microsoft discontinued the updates on Edge for Win 7 (BTW
> I couldn't give a fig) there is now a warning every time I start the
> Edge browser.
>
> Is there a way I can disable this annoying message for good - not just
> for the session? (The Message says something like "Microsoft Edge no
> longer supports Win 7. Please update to the next version of Windows."
>
> Thanks for any pointers.

This won't be the most helpful response, but I would advise switching to
a better browser. I use Firefox.

Re: How to disable the ' Win 7' warning on Edge?

<ue773g$ed82$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6984&group=alt.windows7.general#6984

From: wolverin...@charter.net (sticks)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 10:47:59 -0500
 by: sticks - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 15:47 UTC

On 9/17/2023 10:34 AM, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 9/17/2023 5:51 AM, occam wrote:
>> Not only have microsoft discontinued the updates on Edge for Win 7 (BTW
>> I couldn't give a fig) there is now a warning every time I start the
>> Edge browser.
>>
>> Is there a way I can disable this annoying message for good - not just
>> for the session? (The Message says something like "Microsoft Edge no
>> longer supports Win 7. Please update to the next version of Windows."
>>
>> Thanks for any pointers.
>
> This won't be the most helpful response, but I would advise switching to
> a better browser.  I use Firefox.

Several people I know use Chrome, almost nobody uses Edge. Of course,
they are also the kind of people who don't know what a browser is when
you ask them, but that's another story. I will suggest they use
Firefox, but not as strongly as I used to in the Internet Explorer days.

Heck, even my wife uses chrome. I ask her why and evidently it has
something to do with being able to use her google account. I don't have
one, so I'm not sure what the advantages are, but can think of a few as
to why I don't want to be logged into google when browsing.

In the Explorer days, I remember a few sites I could not properly access
using Firefox. Today, I can't recall this happening in a long time.
When I show web pages on my computer to people and explain how you can
customize Firefox in so many ways so they are not full of all the crap
they look at, they like it. Yet, few are willing to put any effort into
changing their ways. I mostly let them suffer on if they aren't willing
to do anything.

Re: How to disable the ' Win 7' warning on Edge?

<cmjda9t5i2jm$.1t7u28j3vgjp6.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6985&group=alt.windows7.general#6985

From: jj4pub...@outlook.com (JJ)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 22:52:54 +0700
 by: JJ - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 15:52 UTC

On Sun, 17 Sep 2023 08:59:08 -0500, sticks wrote:
> On 9/17/2023 8:17 AM, occam wrote:

> ---snip---
>>>
>>> ( https://www.askvg.com/disable-or-remove-unsupported-os-warning-in-chrome-and-edge-on-windows-7-and-8-1/ )
>>>
>>> Paul
>>
>> Hmm, not too keen on fiddling with the registry values. I may have a go
>> at it if I pluck up enough courage.
>
> That is a great find Paul, and thank you for that!
>
> For the less experienced user, the link above also has a downloadable
> ..reg file that does the work for you. I downloaded it and took a look
> and it is OK. Also contains the restore banner .reg file if you want to
> love to have those annoying banners disappear.

Use the group policy template file to edit the setting via Group Policy.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge/business/download?form=MA13FJ

Re: How to disable the ' Win 7' warning on Edge?

<kmoproFmh4iU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6986&group=alt.windows7.general#6986

From: occ...@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 19:03:51 +0200
 by: occam - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 17:03 UTC

On 17/09/2023 15:59, sticks wrote:
> On 9/17/2023 8:17 AM, occam wrote:

> ---snip---
>>>
>>>       (
>>> https://www.askvg.com/disable-or-remove-unsupported-os-warning-in-chrome-and-edge-on-windows-7-and-8-1/  )
>>>
>>>    Paul
>>
>> Hmm, not too keen on fiddling with the registry values. I may have a go
>> at it if I pluck up enough courage.
>
> That is a great find Paul, and thank you for that!

Yes, thank you to both. I did the registry edit, and the warning is gone
<thumbs up!>

> For the less experienced user, the link above also has a downloadable
> .reg file that does the work for you.  I downloaded it and took a look
> and it is OK.  Also contains the restore banner .reg file if you want to
> love to have those annoying banners disappear.

Re: How to disable the ' Win 7' warning on Edge?

<kmp4esFoahvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6990&group=alt.windows7.general#6990

From: occ...@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 22:04:43 +0200
 by: occam - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 20:04 UTC

On 17/09/2023 17:34, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 9/17/2023 5:51 AM, occam wrote:
>> Not only have microsoft discontinued the updates on Edge for Win 7 (BTW
>> I couldn't give a fig) there is now a warning every time I start the
>> Edge browser.
>>
>> Is there a way I can disable this annoying message for good - not just
>> for the session? (The Message says something like "Microsoft Edge no
>> longer supports Win 7. Please update to the next version of Windows."
>>
>> Thanks for any pointers.
>
> This won't be the most helpful response, but I would advise switching to
> a better browser.  I use Firefox.

As do I, as my primary browser. Edge is a fall-back. If you manage to
make the 'DeepL translator' addon work in Firefox as it does in Edge,
please let me know.

Re: How to disable the ' Win 7' warning on Edge?

<ue7p1e$hkar$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6991&group=alt.windows7.general#6991

From: wolverin...@charter.net (sticks)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 15:54:06 -0500
 by: sticks - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 20:54 UTC

On 9/17/2023 3:04 PM, occam wrote:
> On 17/09/2023 17:34, Michael Trew wrote:
>> On 9/17/2023 5:51 AM, occam wrote:
>>> Not only have microsoft discontinued the updates on Edge for Win 7 (BTW
>>> I couldn't give a fig) there is now a warning every time I start the
>>> Edge browser.
>>>
>>> Is there a way I can disable this annoying message for good - not just
>>> for the session? (The Message says something like "Microsoft Edge no
>>> longer supports Win 7. Please update to the next version of Windows."
>>>
>>> Thanks for any pointers.
>>
>> This won't be the most helpful response, but I would advise switching to
>> a better browser.  I use Firefox.
>
> As do I, as my primary browser. Edge is a fall-back. If you manage to
> make the 'DeepL translator' addon work in Firefox as it does in Edge,
> please let me know.

Perhaps you should do a new download and reinstall.
I'm using Firefox v. 117.0.1 64 bit
I highlight what I want translated and hit control+C+C and it pops up
and translates perfectly. Also works in Betterbird (version 102.15.0.
64 bit) just fine

Re: How to disable the ' Win 7' warning on Edge?

<ue7q9o$hu1j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6992&group=alt.windows7.general#6992

From: wolverin...@charter.net (sticks)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 16:15:35 -0500
 by: sticks - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 21:15 UTC

On 9/17/2023 3:54 PM, sticks wrote:
> On 9/17/2023 3:04 PM, occam wrote:

>>> This won't be the most helpful response, but I would advise switching to
>>> a better browser.  I use Firefox.
>>
>> As do I, as my primary browser. Edge is a fall-back. If you manage to
>> make the 'DeepL translator' addon work in Firefox as it does in Edge,
>> please let me know.
>
> Perhaps you should do a new download and reinstall.
> I'm using Firefox v. 117.0.1 64 bit
> I highlight what I want translated and hit control+C+C and it pops up
> and translates perfectly.  Also works in Betterbird (version 102.15.0.
> 64 bit) just fine

I seemed to have forgotten where I'm at. This is a Windows 7 discussion
and the machine I use is Windows 10. Still might want to do a reinstall
to let it reintegrate, but I don't have a 7 machine here to check it out
on at the moment. Sorry for the confusion.

Re: How to disable the ' Win 7' warning on Edge?

<kmqd3iF17bU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6995&group=alt.windows7.general#6995

From: occ...@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 09:38:24 +0200
 by: occam - Mon, 18 Sep 2023 07:38 UTC

On 17/09/2023 23:15, sticks wrote:
> On 9/17/2023 3:54 PM, sticks wrote:

>>> As do I, as my primary browser. Edge is a fall-back. If you manage to
>>> make the 'DeepL translator' addon work in Firefox as it does in Edge,
>>> please let me know.
>>
>> Perhaps you should do a new download and reinstall.
>> I'm using Firefox v. 117.0.1 64 bit
>> I highlight what I want translated and hit control+C+C and it pops up
>> and translates perfectly.  Also works in Betterbird (version 102.15.0.
>> 64 bit) just fine
>
> I seemed to have forgotten where I'm at.  This is a Windows 7 discussion
> and the machine I use is Windows 10.  Still might want to do a reinstall
> to let it reintegrate, but I don't have a 7 machine here to check it out
> on at the moment.  Sorry for the confusion.

Yes, with Win 7 I'm now stuck on FF v115.2.1 ESR. I'll retry anyway.
Thanks.

Re: How to disable the ' Win 7' warning on Edge?

<FyZNM.55423$quJ8.45961@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6998&group=alt.windows7.general#6998

Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
From: not.em...@all.invalid (Mark Lloyd)
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 09:56:37 -0500
 by: Mark Lloyd - Mon, 18 Sep 2023 14:56 UTC

On 9/17/23 10:34, Michael Trew wrote:

[snip]

> This won't be the most helpful response, but I would advise switching to
> a better browser.  I use Firefox.

I prefer Firefox too. Also, it's still being updated (ESR version on Win 7).

--
99 days until the winter celebration (Monday, December 25, 2023 12:00 AM
for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The observances of the church concerning feasts and fasts are tolerably
well-kept, since the rich keep the feasts and the poor keep the fasts."
[Sydney Smith]

Re: How to disable the ' Win 7' warning on Edge?

<ueckjg$2emff$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7003&group=alt.windows7.general#7003

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 13:09:06 -0400
 by: Michael Trew - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 17:09 UTC

On 9/17/2023 11:47 AM, sticks wrote:
> On 9/17/2023 10:34 AM, Michael Trew wrote:
>>
>> This won't be the most helpful response, but I would advise switching
>> to a better browser. I use Firefox.
>
> Several people I know use Chrome, almost nobody uses Edge. Of course,
> they are also the kind of people who don't know what a browser is when
> you ask them, but that's another story. I will suggest they use Firefox,
> but not as strongly as I used to in the Internet Explorer days.
>
> Heck, even my wife uses chrome. I ask her why and evidently it has
> something to do with being able to use her google account. I don't have
> one, so I'm not sure what the advantages are, but can think of a few as
> to why I don't want to be logged into google when browsing.
>
> In the Explorer days, I remember a few sites I could not properly access
> using Firefox. Today, I can't recall this happening in a long time. When
> I show web pages on my computer to people and explain how you can
> customize Firefox in so many ways so they are not full of all the crap
> they look at, they like it. Yet, few are willing to put any effort into
> changing their ways. I mostly let them suffer on if they aren't willing
> to do anything.

I won't do anything Google on sheer principal. To be fair, years ago, I
was an IE person. I held onto IE6 until the bitter end... Maybe
2010/2011 or so, when it became very difficult to use on modern sites.

Re: How to disable the ' Win 7' warning on Edge?

<ueckn4$2emff$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7005&group=alt.windows7.general#7005

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 13:11:01 -0400
 by: Michael Trew - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 17:11 UTC

On 9/18/2023 10:56 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
> On 9/17/23 10:34, Michael Trew wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> This won't be the most helpful response, but I would advise switching
>> to a better browser. I use Firefox.
>
> I prefer Firefox too. Also, it's still being updated (ESR version on Win
> 7).

For now, yes.

I'm still holding onto 78.15 ESR on Win 7. Seems to work fine. I am
change-resistant, though.

Re: How to disable the ' Win 7' warning on Edge?

<ueclh3$2es1o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7006&group=alt.windows7.general#7006

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 13:24:51 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 17:24 UTC

On 9/19/2023 1:09 PM, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 9/17/2023 11:47 AM, sticks wrote:
>> On 9/17/2023 10:34 AM, Michael Trew wrote:
>>>
>>> This won't be the most helpful response, but I would advise switching
>>> to a better browser.  I use Firefox.
>>
>> Several people I know use Chrome, almost nobody uses Edge. Of course,
>> they are also the kind of people who don't know what a browser is when
>> you ask them, but that's another story. I will suggest they use Firefox,
>> but not as strongly as I used to in the Internet Explorer days.
>>
>> Heck, even my wife uses chrome. I ask her why and evidently it has
>> something to do with being able to use her google account. I don't have
>> one, so I'm not sure what the advantages are, but can think of a few as
>> to why I don't want to be logged into google when browsing.
>>
>> In the Explorer days, I remember a few sites I could not properly access
>> using Firefox. Today, I can't recall this happening in a long time. When
>> I show web pages on my computer to people and explain how you can
>> customize Firefox in so many ways so they are not full of all the crap
>> they look at, they like it. Yet, few are willing to put any effort into
>> changing their ways. I mostly let them suffer on if they aren't willing
>> to do anything.
>
> I won't do anything Google on sheer principal.  To be fair, years ago, I was an IE person.  I held onto IE6 until the bitter end...  Maybe 2010/2011 or so, when it became very difficult to use on modern sites.

Whatever you do, don't use IE now, as Microsoft will break
your copy for you. Do a backup, before you open IE.

Paul

Re: How to disable the ' Win 7' warning on Edge?

<ADEOM.12884$TwR4.11863@fx46.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7015&group=alt.windows7.general#7015

Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
From: not.em...@all.invalid (Mark Lloyd)
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 10:57:20 -0500
 by: Mark Lloyd - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 15:57 UTC

On 9/19/23 12:11, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 9/18/2023 10:56 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
>> On 9/17/23 10:34, Michael Trew wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>> This won't be the most helpful response, but I would advise switching
>>> to a better browser.  I use Firefox.
>>
>> I prefer Firefox too. Also, it's still being updated (ESR version on Win
>> 7).
>
> For now, yes.
>
> I'm still holding onto 78.15 ESR on Win 7.  Seems to work fine.  I am
> change-resistant, though.

If you're happy with that version, there's no need to upgrade. The part
about FF still being updated is for those who have to have the latest
version.

--
97 days until the winter celebration (Monday, December 25, 2023 12:00 AM
for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"If Jesus was a Jew, why did he have a Spanish name?" [Bill Maher on
"Politically Incorrect"]

Re: How to disable the ' Win 7' warning on Edge?

<ueluj6$m83k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7055&group=alt.windows7.general#7055

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 01:54:53 -0400
 by: Michael Trew - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 05:54 UTC

On 9/19/2023 1:24 PM, Paul wrote:
> On 9/19/2023 1:09 PM, Michael Trew wrote:
>>
>> I won't do anything Google on sheer principal. To be fair, years
>> ago, I was an IE person. I held onto IE6 until the bitter end...
>> Maybe 2010/2011 or so, when it became very difficult to use on
>> modern sites.
>
> Whatever you do, don't use IE now, as Microsoft will break your copy
> for you. Do a backup, before you open IE.
>
> Paul

What do you mean by that? Does this apply to IE 11 on Win 7?

Re: How to disable the ' Win 7' warning on Edge?

<uen3tb$s4o8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7058&group=alt.windows7.general#7058

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 12:31:38 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 16:31 UTC

On 9/23/2023 1:54 AM, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 9/19/2023 1:24 PM, Paul wrote:
>> On 9/19/2023 1:09 PM, Michael Trew wrote:
>>>
>>> I won't do anything Google on sheer principal.  To be fair, years
>>> ago, I was an IE person.  I held onto IE6 until the bitter end...
>>> Maybe 2010/2011 or so, when it became very difficult to use on
>>> modern sites.
>>
>> Whatever you do, don't use IE now, as Microsoft will break your copy
>> for you. Do a backup, before you open IE.
>>
>> Paul
>>

> What do you mean by that?  Does this apply to IE 11 on Win 7?

Absolutely.

Watch what happens when you open IE11 on Win7. Poof. Ssssss. Smoke.

Now, open IE11 again. What do you see ? Now, it's broken as soon
as you open it, and no attack from Microsoft is necessary, the
second time.

This could be implemented by "picking up a certain home page".
That might be how they broke mine. It could be, the home page
loaded an ActiveX item.

Just be careful, OK ?

I'm not going to spend time, working out how the attack works.
But I can tell you to do a backup first :-)

Paul