186,000 Miles per Second. It's not just a good idea. IT'S THE LAW.

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Re: Copy two similar folder names to another drive - File conflict occurs

SubjectAuthor
* Copy two similar folder names to another drive - File conflict occursazigni
+* Re: Copy two similar folder names to another drive - File conflictChris Elvidge
|`* Re: Copy two similar folder names to another drive - File conflictazigni
| `* Re: Copy two similar folder names to another drive - File conflictPaul
|  `- Re: Copy two similar folder names to another drive - File conflictazigni
`- Re: Copy two similar folder names to another drive - File conflictDan Purgert

1
Copy two similar folder names to another drive - File conflict occurs

<A1G1N.29790$ntoa.14356@fx03.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7062&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7062

From: azi...@yahoo.com (azigni)
Subject: Copy two similar folder names to another drive - File conflict occurs
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2023 05:49:20 GMT
 by: azigni - Sun, 5 Nov 2023 05:49 UTC

Hello,

I thought this was a Thunar problem, but it happens with Nemo too, so it
must be an ID10T error.

I have two folders in /home/user named grasshopper and Grasshopper. File
manager is happy and they reside next to each other.

When I attempt to copy folders grasshopper and Grasshopper to another
location, grasshopper copies to the destination, and I get a 'File
conflict' "A newer folder with the same name already exists in "copy to
folder", and I am asked if I want to merge the two folders.

Is there a work around for this? Thanks in advance.

Re: Copy two similar folder names to another drive - File conflict occurs

<ui7u0v$3vg79$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7063&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7063

From: chr...@mshome.net (Chris Elvidge)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: Copy two similar folder names to another drive - File conflict
occurs
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2023 11:24:10 +0000
 by: Chris Elvidge - Sun, 5 Nov 2023 11:24 UTC

On 05/11/2023 05:49, azigni wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I thought this was a Thunar problem, but it happens with Nemo too, so it
> must be an ID10T error.
>
> I have two folders in /home/user named grasshopper and Grasshopper. File
> manager is happy and they reside next to each other.
>
> When I attempt to copy folders grasshopper and Grasshopper to another
> location, grasshopper copies to the destination, and I get a 'File
> conflict' "A newer folder with the same name already exists in "copy to
> folder", and I am asked if I want to merge the two folders.
>
> Is there a work around for this? Thanks in advance.

Is your 'other location' an NTFS/VFAT/exFAT partition?
Most Linux oriented filesystems are case aware, MS ones are not.

--
Chris Elvidge, England
I AM NOT A 32 YEAR OLD WOMAN

Re: Copy two similar folder names to another drive - File conflict occurs

<B6M1N.57538$KCJd.25921@fx45.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7064&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7064

From: azi...@yahoo.com (azigni)
occurs
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2023 12:44:17 GMT
 by: azigni - Sun, 5 Nov 2023 12:44 UTC

On Sun, 5 Nov 2023 11:24:10 +0000, Chris Elvidge wrote:

> Is your 'other location' an NTFS/VFAT/exFAT partition?
> Most Linux oriented filesystems are case aware, MS ones are not.

That certainly is the issue, thank you very much! I have some older
portable usb drives I started to use for backup. I plugged them in and
they worked so I never gave any thought to the formatting.

Thanks again!

Re: Copy two similar folder names to another drive - File conflict occurs

<ui84tl$iop$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7065&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7065

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
occurs
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2023 08:21:56 -0500
 by: Paul - Sun, 5 Nov 2023 13:21 UTC

On 11/5/2023 7:44 AM, azigni wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Nov 2023 11:24:10 +0000, Chris Elvidge wrote:
>>
>> Is your 'other location' an NTFS/VFAT/exFAT partition?
>> Most Linux oriented filesystems are case aware, MS ones are not.
>
> That certainly is the issue, thank you very much! I have some older
> portable usb drives I started to use for backup. I plugged them in and
> they worked so I never gave any thought to the formatting.
>
> Thanks again!

There is limited support for case-sensitive on Windows.

That does not mean this is a good idea, since once the USB stick gets
to the Windows machine, the same thing is going to happen, until
you've switched everything to case-sensitive :-)

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-enable-ntfs-treat-folders-case-sensitive-windows-10

fsutil.exe file SetCaseSensitiveInfo C:\Linux enable

Windows 10 and Windows 11 have made a number of options on
"standard" API file systems. This even includes, in one
of the format commands, making a file system that Windows 7
could not read (dammit, it's compatible, right?).

With computers, *always select the lowest common denominator*.
For example, if all the OSes support 4K clusters, then that
is the size of cluster you make on everything you create.
Same goes with punctuation. Say my current OS allows me to
have just about any punctuation character I could ever
want in a path. Don't do that, because something will break
when you copy a file to some other file system or OS environment.

In your situation, I might have created

/home/user/grasshopper

/home/user/grasshopper2

I could tar those up and make grasshopper.tar and grasshopper2.tar .

You will find that Windows has added all sorts of stuff that
can be used to (roughly) mimic Linux.

I dumped my C: partition permissions and attributes and such,
with the "icacls" utility the other day. And I was "shocked" to
discover a new feature had been added, where some very long and
ugly text strings were added to the "normal" terse (coded) output.
At first, when I saw this, I thought "something broke on my computer".
It looked like a corruption. Well, it turns out, this was a feature.

Paul

Re: Copy two similar folder names to another drive - File conflict occurs

<slrnukfapf.370.dan@djph.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7066&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7066

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
occurs
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2023 14:46:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Sun, 5 Nov 2023 14:46 UTC

On 2023-11-05, azigni wrote:
> [...]
> When I attempt to copy folders grasshopper and Grasshopper to another
> location, grasshopper copies to the destination, and I get a 'File
> conflict' "A newer folder with the same name already exists in "copy to
> folder", and I am asked if I want to merge the two folders.

Is this "Another location" an NTFS partition by any chance?

--
|_|O|_|

Re: Copy two similar folder names to another drive - File conflict occurs

<_cZ1N.368092$w4ec.333045@fx14.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7067&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7067

From: azi...@yahoo.com (azigni)
occurs
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2023 03:38:34 GMT
 by: azigni - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 03:38 UTC

On Sun, 5 Nov 2023 08:21:56 -0500, Paul wrote:

> There is limited support for case-sensitive on Windows.

In your situation, I might have created

> /home/user/grasshopper
>
> /home/user/grasshopper2
>
>...snipped

This is a good point, thank you for posting it. It's only a home computer
and I was simply doing copy -> paste files to a USB Stick (ext4). Then I
got bored and started playing around with rsync which works very well,
except when I changed to an old usb drive. Then I got the filename issue.

I found this (below) from a very good (imo) YouTube video by, 'Linux for
Seniors', https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw6k6dn1xWc and it works well.
I made the modded file below and gave it to one of my friends, so it has
an extra comment at the bottom about exclude command.

I never realized the command line was so powerful and versatile. And I
find the terminal fun, but the different command switches need an
encyclopedia to hold them all. It lets me know I would do alright without
any gui on my desktop.

#!/bin/bash

mkdir /media/user/USB20FD/Backup

sudo rsync -av --exclude=".*" /home/user /media/user/USB20FD/Backup

# This file creates a directory named Backup on the drive you are copying
files to. Then is asks for your password to complete the backup of the
home directory and all its contents, except hidden directories and files.

Instead of --exclude=".*" you can use, -f "- .*" which is simpler and
means the same thing.

Once I format one of the portable drives to ext4, I will run it again.
Thanks again for your comments!