The universe is an island, surrounded by whatever it is that surrounds universes.

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Re: [OT] New Desktop (part 2)

SubjectAuthor
* [OT] New Desktop (part 2)pinnerite
+* Re: [OT] New Desktop (part 2)Paul in Houston TX
|`* Re: [OT] New Desktop (part 2)pinnerite
| `* Re: [OT] New Desktop (part 2)Gordon
|  `- Re: [OT] New Desktop (part 2)Paul
+* Re: [OT] New Desktop (part 2)RobH
|`* Re: [OT] New Desktop (part 2)Paul
| `- Re: [OT] New Desktop (part 2)Bud Frede
`* Re: [OT] New Desktop (part 2)Paul
 `- Re: [OT] New Desktop (part 2)Paul in Houston TX

1
[OT] New Desktop (part 2)

<20231103173158.3b06be253d0161294359f546@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7052&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7052

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: [OT] New Desktop (part 2)
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2023 17:31:58 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 17:31 UTC

I have now worked out how and what:

1) I plan to use a fast 500Gb M.2 SSD for the operating system and for
the VirtualBox virtual machines. I plan to continue to put all the data
on a 2TB spinner.

2) I will hold back on buying a graphics card until I see how the
onboard graphics pan out.

The only two outstanding items are a case and power supply.
The last time I bought a power supply it came with all the connecting
cables hanging off. Today the adverts don't seem to mention cables and
the boxes just show sockets!

I want a quiet 1000W supply. I am tempted to go for a Be Quiet model.

I don't want a case that looks like a refugee from Las Vegas or Star
Wars. I have found a couple of midis that seem OK that would fit in
the slot I have under my desk:

CIT Classic 500W Midi
Cooler Master Elite 500 ODD

The selected components so far are:

Asus Prime X670E Pro WiFi
AMD Ryzen 7700X 8-core processor
Kingston Fury Beast 32GB 8-core socket AM5

perhaps:

Asus Radeon RX6600 Dual 8GB Graphics Card

I will wait until all the ducks are in a row before flashing the cash.

Alan

--
Linux Mint 21.1 kernel version 5.15.0-88-generic Cinnamon 5.6.8
AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU 16Gb Dram 2TB Barracuda

Re: [OT] New Desktop (part 2)

<ui3g1a$2t9ag$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7053&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7053

From: Pau...@Houston.Texas (Paul in Houston TX)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: [OT] New Desktop (part 2)
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2023 14:00:40 -0500
 by: Paul in Houston TX - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 19:00 UTC

pinnerite wrote:
> I have now worked out how and what:
>
> 1) I plan to use a fast 500Gb M.2 SSD for the operating system and for
> the VirtualBox virtual machines. I plan to continue to put all the data
> on a 2TB spinner.
>
> 2) I will hold back on buying a graphics card until I see how the
> onboard graphics pan out.
>
> The only two outstanding items are a case and power supply.
> The last time I bought a power supply it came with all the connecting
> cables hanging off. Today the adverts don't seem to mention cables and
> the boxes just show sockets!
>
> I want a quiet 1000W supply. I am tempted to go for a Be Quiet model.
>
> I don't want a case that looks like a refugee from Las Vegas or Star
> Wars. I have found a couple of midis that seem OK that would fit in
> the slot I have under my desk:
>
> CIT Classic 500W Midi
> Cooler Master Elite 500 ODD
>
> The selected components so far are:
>
> Asus Prime X670E Pro WiFi
> AMD Ryzen 7700X 8-core processor
> Kingston Fury Beast 32GB 8-core socket AM5
>
> perhaps:
>
> Asus Radeon RX6600 Dual 8GB Graphics Card
>
> I will wait until all the ducks are in a row before flashing the cash.
>
> Alan

1 kilowatt is probably way over kill. My gamer has a 750 watt Seasonic
Prime Titanium, fan is set to always run. It barely gets warm during
gaming. No such thing as a quiet p/s unless all you do is email and
small word docs. Running quiet during gaming will fry your p/s.

The gamer has a 500 gb/ Samsung 970 Pro for main operating and a 980 for
clone backups. Plus various spinners for additional backup clones but
they are normally unplugged. Dual fan water pump and 5 additional fans.
CPU currently runs at 4.8 ghz, ram runs at ~4.2 ghz or there about. I
forgot what I have the bridges set for. Graphics card set to 175%
clock. GPU volts set for 125%. Main board Bios power adjustments set to
auto for the most part.

Re: [OT] New Desktop (part 2)

<20231103202449.eaf79af2d3319614aac9dbf1@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7054&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7054

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2023 20:24:49 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 20:24 UTC

On Fri, 3 Nov 2023 14:00:40 -0500
Paul in Houston TX <Paul@Houston.Texas> wrote:

> pinnerite wrote:
> > I have now worked out how and what:
> >
> > 1) I plan to use a fast 500Gb M.2 SSD for the operating system and for
> > the VirtualBox virtual machines. I plan to continue to put all the data
> > on a 2TB spinner.
> >
> > 2) I will hold back on buying a graphics card until I see how the
> > onboard graphics pan out.
> >
> > The only two outstanding items are a case and power supply.
> > The last time I bought a power supply it came with all the connecting
> > cables hanging off. Today the adverts don't seem to mention cables and
> > the boxes just show sockets!
> >
> > I want a quiet 1000W supply. I am tempted to go for a Be Quiet model.
> >
> > I don't want a case that looks like a refugee from Las Vegas or Star
> > Wars. I have found a couple of midis that seem OK that would fit in
> > the slot I have under my desk:
> >
> > CIT Classic 500W Midi
> > Cooler Master Elite 500 ODD
> >
> > The selected components so far are:
> >
> > Asus Prime X670E Pro WiFi
> > AMD Ryzen 7700X 8-core processor
> > Kingston Fury Beast 32GB 8-core socket AM5
> >
> > perhaps:
> >
> > Asus Radeon RX6600 Dual 8GB Graphics Card
> >
> > I will wait until all the ducks are in a row before flashing the cash.
> >
> > Alan
>
> 1 kilowatt is probably way over kill. My gamer has a 750 watt Seasonic
> Prime Titanium, fan is set to always run. It barely gets warm during
> gaming. No such thing as a quiet p/s unless all you do is email and
> small word docs. Running quiet during gaming will fry your p/s.
>
> The gamer has a 500 gb/ Samsung 970 Pro for main operating and a 980 for
> clone backups. Plus various spinners for additional backup clones but
> they are normally unplugged. Dual fan water pump and 5 additional fans.
> CPU currently runs at 4.8 ghz, ram runs at ~4.2 ghz or there about. I
> forgot what I have the bridges set for. Graphics card set to 175%
> clock. GPU volts set for 125%. Main board Bios power adjustments set to
> auto for the most part.

You are right but it is always better to run them with plenty of capacity.
If I have space I would like to fit a caddy for a removable spinner.
As I wrote I may need a powerful graphics card so just being cautious.
I have been building micro PCs since 1979 so I use my experience.

ATB
-
Linux Mint 21.1 kernel version 5.15.0-88-generic Cinnamon 5.6.8
AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU 16Gb Dram 2TB Barracuda

Re: [OT] New Desktop (part 2)

<kql9t8F8lbkU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7056&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7056

From: Gor...@leaf.net.nz (Gordon)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: 3 Nov 2023 22:18:16 GMT
 by: Gordon - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 22:18 UTC

On 2023-11-03, pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Nov 2023 14:00:40 -0500
> Paul in Houston TX <Paul@Houston.Texas> wrote:
>
>> pinnerite wrote:
>> > I have now worked out how and what:
>> >
>> > 1) I plan to use a fast 500Gb M.2 SSD for the operating system and for
>> > the VirtualBox virtual machines. I plan to continue to put all the data
>> > on a 2TB spinner.
>> >
>> > 2) I will hold back on buying a graphics card until I see how the
>> > onboard graphics pan out.
>> >
>> > The only two outstanding items are a case and power supply.
>> > The last time I bought a power supply it came with all the connecting
>> > cables hanging off. Today the adverts don't seem to mention cables and
>> > the boxes just show sockets!
>> >
>> > I want a quiet 1000W supply. I am tempted to go for a Be Quiet model.
>> >
>> > I don't want a case that looks like a refugee from Las Vegas or Star
>> > Wars. I have found a couple of midis that seem OK that would fit in
>> > the slot I have under my desk:
>> >
>> > CIT Classic 500W Midi
>> > Cooler Master Elite 500 ODD
>> >
>> > The selected components so far are:
>> >
>> > Asus Prime X670E Pro WiFi
>> > AMD Ryzen 7700X 8-core processor
>> > Kingston Fury Beast 32GB 8-core socket AM5
>> >
>> > perhaps:
>> >
>> > Asus Radeon RX6600 Dual 8GB Graphics Card
>> >
>> > I will wait until all the ducks are in a row before flashing the cash.
>> >
>> > Alan
>>
>> 1 kilowatt is probably way over kill. My gamer has a 750 watt Seasonic
>> Prime Titanium, fan is set to always run. It barely gets warm during
>> gaming. No such thing as a quiet p/s unless all you do is email and
>> small word docs. Running quiet during gaming will fry your p/s.
>>
>> The gamer has a 500 gb/ Samsung 970 Pro for main operating and a 980 for
>> clone backups. Plus various spinners for additional backup clones but
>> they are normally unplugged. Dual fan water pump and 5 additional fans.
>> CPU currently runs at 4.8 ghz, ram runs at ~4.2 ghz or there about. I
>> forgot what I have the bridges set for. Graphics card set to 175%
>> clock. GPU volts set for 125%. Main board Bios power adjustments set to
>> auto for the most part.
>>

> You are right but it is always better to run them with plenty of capacity.
> If I have space I would like to fit a caddy for a removable spinner.
> As I wrote I may need a powerful graphics card so just being cautious.
> I have been building micro PCs since 1979 so I use my experience.
>
> ATB

The rule of thumb is to match the power supply with the load. The efficiency
of the power supply drops of at both high and low loadings. Running the
power supply at 50% load is the target to aim for. Allows some overhead when
the work load ramps up.

The fans from a high power graphs card under load is probably going to ne
louder than the power supply fan.

From

https://www.asus.com/motherboards-components/graphics-cards/dual/dual-rx6600-8g/techspec/

"Our wattage recommendation is based on a fully overclocked GPU and CPU
system configuration. For a more tailored suggestion, please use the
“Choose By Wattage” feature on our PSU product page:
https://rog.asus.com/event/PSU/ASUS-Power-Supply-Units/index.html"

The suggestion is for a 500W power supply and yet 550W for no over clocking
and 650W for the overclocking case.

Your choice, your money, but it does seem that 1000W is somewhat
conservative.

https://rog.asus.com/event/PSU/ASUS-Power-Supply-Units/index.html

Re: [OT] New Desktop (part 2)

<kqlcfiF9a5aU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7057&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7057

From: rob...@nospam.com (RobH)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2023 23:02:10 +0000
 by: RobH - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 23:02 UTC

On 03/11/2023 17:31, pinnerite wrote:
> I have now worked out how and what:
>
> 1) I plan to use a fast 500Gb M.2 SSD for the operating system and for
> the VirtualBox virtual machines. I plan to continue to put all the data
> on a 2TB spinner.
>
> 2) I will hold back on buying a graphics card until I see how the
> onboard graphics pan out.
>
> The only two outstanding items are a case and power supply.
> The last time I bought a power supply it came with all the connecting
> cables hanging off. Today the adverts don't seem to mention cables and
> the boxes just show sockets!
>
> I want a quiet 1000W supply. I am tempted to go for a Be Quiet model.
>
> I don't want a case that looks like a refugee from Las Vegas or Star
> Wars. I have found a couple of midis that seem OK that would fit in
> the slot I have under my desk:
>
> CIT Classic 500W Midi
> Cooler Master Elite 500 ODD
>
> The selected components so far are:
>
> Asus Prime X670E Pro WiFi
> AMD Ryzen 7700X 8-core processor
> Kingston Fury Beast 32GB 8-core socket AM5
>
> perhaps:
>
> Asus Radeon RX6600 Dual 8GB Graphics Card
>
> I will wait until all the ducks are in a row before flashing the cash.
>
> Alan

Whatever PSU size you buy go for a Seasonic or similar. I have a 450
watt Seasonic on my desktop and it has run smooth for several years now.

Re: [OT] New Desktop (part 2)

<ui5lhf$3djds$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7058&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7058

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2023 10:47:10 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 4 Nov 2023 14:47 UTC

On 11/3/2023 6:18 PM, Gordon wrote:
> On 2023-11-03, pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 3 Nov 2023 14:00:40 -0500
>> Paul in Houston TX <Paul@Houston.Texas> wrote:

>>> 1 kilowatt is probably way over kill. My gamer has a 750 watt Seasonic
>>> Prime Titanium, fan is set to always run. It barely gets warm during
>>> gaming. No such thing as a quiet p/s unless all you do is email and
>>> small word docs. Running quiet during gaming will fry your p/s.
>>>
>>> The gamer has a 500 gb/ Samsung 970 Pro for main operating and a 980 for
>>> clone backups. Plus various spinners for additional backup clones but
>>> they are normally unplugged. Dual fan water pump and 5 additional fans.
>>> CPU currently runs at 4.8 ghz, ram runs at ~4.2 ghz or there about. I
>>> forgot what I have the bridges set for. Graphics card set to 175%
>>> clock. GPU volts set for 125%. Main board Bios power adjustments set to
>>> auto for the most part.
>>>

>> You are right but it is always better to run them with plenty of capacity.
>> If I have space I would like to fit a caddy for a removable spinner.
>> As I wrote I may need a powerful graphics card so just being cautious.
>> I have been building micro PCs since 1979 so I use my experience.
>>
>> ATB
>
> The rule of thumb is to match the power supply with the load. The efficiency
> of the power supply drops of at both high and low loadings. Running the
> power supply at 50% load is the target to aim for. Allows some overhead when
> the work load ramps up.
>
> The fans from a high power graphs card under load is probably going to ne
> louder than the power supply fan.
>
> From
>
> https://www.asus.com/motherboards-components/graphics-cards/dual/dual-rx6600-8g/techspec/
>
> "Our wattage recommendation is based on a fully overclocked GPU and CPU
> system configuration. For a more tailored suggestion, please use the
> “Choose By Wattage” feature on our PSU product page:
> https://rog.asus.com/event/PSU/ASUS-Power-Supply-Units/index.html"" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://rog.asus.com/event/PSU/ASUS-Power-Supply-Units/index.html"
>
> The suggestion is for a 500W power supply and yet 550W for no over clocking
> and 650W for the overclocking case.
>
> Your choice, your money, but it does seem that 1000W is somewhat
> conservative.
>
> https://rog.asus.com/event/PSU/ASUS-Power-Supply-Units/index.html

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/L6hWjw6p/Zen3-Power-Numbers.gif

In my book, you should carry out a calc, and use double.

Putting a high power Zen3 in the box here, seemed to wear out
my previous supply in a couple weeks. Even though from a name plate
point of view, it was "adequate". I'm running on my spare now,
a Seasonic S12-600 family supply. And it doesn't seem to be bothered.
The graphics card (NVidia) is so gutless, the fan doesn't spin.

CPU TDP = 105W (uh huh)

Wall Power = 224W (7ZIP, compressing zeros)

Wall Power = 275W (7ZIP plus Furmark on a 75W video card)
(GPU-Z measures power as 66W in Furmark)
(Actual vid card contribution seems smaller than that.)

So 300W max, I've got a 600W running the box. I have no plan there for
expansion. No big vid card is ever going in this box.

It's delightful that the numbers never seem to add up (on the
built-in measurement devices). It would seem my video card
is smarter than I am, since it's not a good idea to draw
the entire 75W stated power limit (from PCIe slot), and maybe
it has a slightly lower limit in practice. This is similar to
the 6600 cards NVidia used to make, which drew in the same
ballpark, from the slot.

The machine jumps from wall power 48W to 113W, when
one core rails, and one core can rail when using a web
browser on an advertising-heavy web page. I would be
checking the efficiency at 100W, rather than at 50W.

With the previous low-end processor I had, the step size was
smaller. so the lightly loaded power case was lower.

You have to be careful on your "cooler requirements". My
first cooler did not cut the mustard, so I had to buy a
second one. The first one might have a rating of 150W,
and I thought I could squeak by. But the closed loop control
used to "spike" for some reason. The 250W replacement
cooler, the closed loop thermal control is very well behaved.
No longer see weird spikes in temps. AMD recommends water
cooling for some of their stuff, and my cooler experience
suggests they're probably right (in that you should be
leaning towards a better cooler). I thought the rating of
my new cooler was bullshit, but it really seems to work.
You can't shine a light through that cooler, which is
a hint how it works :-)

250-260W or so. They don't like to put the spec on the spec page.
The better way to specify coolers is theta_R, but it's hard
to train chimpanzees. One of the enthusiast sites that used
to measure coolers, one after another, it gave theta_R numbers.
No enthusiast site lasts forever. But the practice did not
"rub off" on the manufacturers. The power number is relatively
meaningless, if someone asks me to explain it. And that's why
I thought the number was bullshit. The volume of cooler,
versus wattage rating, didn't add up. But it seems to be
working, so it gets a +1 for not wasting my time.

https://www.deepcool.com/products/Cooling/cpuaircoolers/AK620-High-Performance-CPU-Cooler-1700-AM5/2021/13067.shtml

Paul

Re: [OT] New Desktop (part 2)

<ui5mbm$3dnsl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7059&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7059

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2023 11:01:09 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 4 Nov 2023 15:01 UTC

On 11/3/2023 7:02 PM, RobH wrote:

> Whatever PSU size you buy go for a Seasonic or similar. I have a 450 watt
> Seasonic on my desktop and it has run smooth for several years now.

The computer industry, uses contract manufacturing. Even when a manufacturer
has their own plant (Seasonic), not every Seasonic supply need be made by them.
If they want to hit a $25 price point for some reason, only a contractor
can hit a price like that.

It's for this reason, you look for a review. For example, Anandtech has
a guy who tears them down and lists what is inside. If a supply has
cheap capacitors in it, that will be in the review. As well as ripple
tests and so on.

The cross-loading test is no longer as essential as it used to be,
since the +3.3V/+5V is done with a separate DC-DC converter, and
the +12V powers stuff like that. As a result, the 3.3V and 5V
voltages should not budge, when the +12V goes up and down.

As a hint why this could matter, I bought a new internal hard drive for
backups, and the damn thing was clicking when I plugged it in.
(And you know what that means, normally.) Well, I checked the voltage
on the power cable, and the +12V was only +11.6V . Normally, disks
operate down to +11.0V. But this new disk drive "expects better" and
as soon as the supply got changed out, it behaved itself. It's one of
those drives, where the mounting holes are in the wrong place :-/
It also has spin-control, and if you deliver +3.3V on the drive cable,
it won't spin. You use four wire power cables with those kinds of drives.
If you were buying a 22TB drive, this is the kind of crap you
should expect. This is why we have standards, right ?

Paul

Re: [OT] New Desktop (part 2)

<ui75h7$3qoht$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7060&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7060

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2023 00:26:13 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 5 Nov 2023 04:26 UTC

On 11/3/2023 1:31 PM, pinnerite wrote:
> I have now worked out how and what:
>
> 1) I plan to use a fast 500Gb M.2 SSD for the operating system and for
> the VirtualBox virtual machines. I plan to continue to put all the data
> on a 2TB spinner.
>
> 2) I will hold back on buying a graphics card until I see how the
> onboard graphics pan out.
>
> The only two outstanding items are a case and power supply.
> The last time I bought a power supply it came with all the connecting
> cables hanging off. Today the adverts don't seem to mention cables and
> the boxes just show sockets!
>
> I want a quiet 1000W supply. I am tempted to go for a Be Quiet model.
>
> I don't want a case that looks like a refugee from Las Vegas or Star
> Wars. I have found a couple of midis that seem OK that would fit in
> the slot I have under my desk:
>
> CIT Classic 500W Midi
> Cooler Master Elite 500 ODD
>
> The selected components so far are:
>
> Asus Prime X670E Pro WiFi
> AMD Ryzen 7700X 8-core processor
> Kingston Fury Beast 32GB 8-core socket AM5
>
> perhaps:
>
> Asus Radeon RX6600 Dual 8GB Graphics Card
>
> I will wait until all the ducks are in a row before flashing the cash.
>
> Alan

This article shows, since the chip has one die fewer than
a 7950X, AMD is likely increasing VCore a bit. And the power
remains reasonably high.

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-7700x

I assume these are wall power numbers.

60 watts idle

239 watts Cinebench (I'm going to assume that is their 100% CPU benchmark)

518 watts Adobe Premiere (No idea how you bench a video editor, and we
could replace the number with the Cinebench number
plus a video card allocation. Their card was a
350W RTX3080, your proposed two-fan RX6600 is 132W.)

The full power number for the build, the Premiere number isn't likely
representative. You could take 239W + 132W as a max power.

Their PSU is a Silverstone DA850 Gold. 87% eff at 170W. 90% eff at 425W.

https://www.silverstonetek.com/en/product/info/power-supplies/DA850Gold/

eff = POUT 0.87 * 60 = POUT = 52W
------------ 0.88 * 239 = 210W
POUT + WASTE 0.90 * 412 = [239W + 132W]

371W doubled, would be 742W or a 750W PSU.

*******

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus

A titanium 700W. Fanless, so case will need push-ventilation (need defined airflow).

https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-prime-fanless-tx-700-700w/p/N82E16817151235

A Be Quiet titanium one. Cheaper. 850W. And a 750W one (prices vary madly, YMMV).

https://www.newegg.com/p/1HU-004H-000R9

https://www.newegg.com/be-quiet-dark-power-12-750watt/p/1HU-004H-000H8

The Titanium ones are 96% eff at 50% load.

When the noise level comes down on a PC, you can
start to hear coil noise on the motherboard VRM.
But your CPU cooler noise, will make up for what
the PSU lacks in noise :-)

I have some idea what the web designers are doing
to my browser, just based on coil noise.

Paul

Re: [OT] New Desktop (part 2)

<ui783b$3r4gm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7061&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7061

From: Pau...@Houston.Texas (Paul in Houston TX)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2023 00:09:43 -0500
 by: Paul in Houston TX - Sun, 5 Nov 2023 05:09 UTC

Paul wrote:
> [...]
> ------------ 0.88 * 239 = 210W
> POUT + WASTE 0.90 * 412 = [239W + 132W]
>
> 371W doubled, would be 742W or a 750W PSU.
>
> *******
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus
>
> A titanium 700W. Fanless, so case will need push-ventilation (need defined airflow).
>
> https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-prime-fanless-tx-700-700w/p/N82E16817151235
>
> A Be Quiet titanium one. Cheaper. 850W. And a 750W one (prices vary madly, YMMV).
>
> https://www.newegg.com/p/1HU-004H-000R9
>
> https://www.newegg.com/be-quiet-dark-power-12-750watt/p/1HU-004H-000H8
>
> The Titanium ones are 96% eff at 50% load.
>
> When the noise level comes down on a PC, you can
> start to hear coil noise on the motherboard VRM.
> But your CPU cooler noise, will make up for what
> the PSU lacks in noise :-)
>
> I have some idea what the web designers are doing
> to my browser, just based on coil noise.

Good point.
The dual fan CPU water cooling system, GPU fans, bridge fans, ram fan,
and MB coils on mine are sometimes much louder than the PSU. When the
coils really start squeaking I get nervous about fried MB and back off
from what was causing it.

Re: [OT] New Desktop (part 2)

<xLI4N.58309$wvv7.53760@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7085&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7085

From: fre...@mouse-potato.com (Bud Frede)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2023 06:22:05 -0500
 by: Bud Frede - Tue, 14 Nov 2023 11:22 UTC

Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> writes:

> On 11/3/2023 7:02 PM, RobH wrote:
>
>> Whatever PSU size you buy go for a Seasonic or similar. I have a 450 watt
>> Seasonic on my desktop and it has run smooth for several years now.
>
> The computer industry, uses contract manufacturing. Even when a manufacturer
> has their own plant (Seasonic), not every Seasonic supply need be made by them.
> If they want to hit a $25 price point for some reason, only a contractor
> can hit a price like that.
>
> It's for this reason, you look for a review. For example, Anandtech has
> a guy who tears them down and lists what is inside. If a supply has
> cheap capacitors in it, that will be in the review. As well as ripple
> tests and so on.

I agree on the reviews in Anandtech. He does very informative write-ups
of PSUs.