"All my life I wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific." -- Jane Wagner

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Edge v113?

SubjectAuthor
* Edge v113?Ant
+* Re: Edge v113?VanguardLH
|+- Re: Edge v113?Joel
|+* Re: Edge v113?VanguardLH
||+* Re: Edge v113?knuttle
|||`* Re: Edge v113?VanguardLH
||| `* Re: Edge v113?knuttle
|||  `* Re: Edge v113?VanguardLH
|||   `* Re: Edge v113?...winston
|||    `* Re: Edge v113?VanguardLH
|||     +- Re: Edge v113?Paul
|||     `- Re: Edge v113?...winston
||+* Re: Edge v113?Ken Blake
|||`- Re: Edge v113?Paul
||`- Re: Edge v113?VanguardLH
|`- Re: Edge v113?...winston
+- Re: Edge v113?Ralph Fox
`- Re: Edge v113?Ant

1
Edge v113?

<Nv2cncVrR9ZsFsj5nZ2dnZfqn_Vg4p2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=70951&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#70951

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Subject: Edge v113?
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 05 May 2023 23:06:25 +0000
 by: Ant - Fri, 5 May 2023 23:06 UTC

Hello,

I'm not seeing v113 update offered for my updated 64-bit W10 Pro's Edge
v112. Or is it just me?

Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)
--
"Rid yourselves of all the offenses you have committed, and get a new heart and a new spirit... Repent and live!" --Ezekiel 18:31-32. May da 5th(also Cinco de Mayo) & 2morrow 6th B with U 4 da dark side. LAL lost their team's force last nite 2 beat GSW. Cold wet winter! :(
| |o o| |

Re: Edge v113?

<1220vyft2b4zx$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=70952&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#70952

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Edge v113?
Date: Fri, 5 May 2023 19:33:49 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 6 May 2023 00:33 UTC

Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:

> I'm not seeing v113 update offered for my updated 64-bit W10 Pro's Edge
> v112. Or is it just me?

I loaded Edge, went to Help & Feedback, About Microsoft Edge, I was at
112, and the update process started automatically. After a restart of
Edge, I was at 113.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/microsoft-edge-update-settings-af8aaca2-1b69-4870-94fe-18822dbb7ef1

Under the 'Always stay up to date' section, it says there should be a
"Download and install updates automatically" option. I don't see it.

Re: Edge v113?

<fa8b5ih11k83oaj2kj2ea1njq6f70thq34@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=70953&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#70953

From: joelcr...@gmail.com (Joel)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 05 May 2023 20:39:39 -0400
 by: Joel - Sat, 6 May 2023 00:39 UTC

VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:
>
>> I'm not seeing v113 update offered for my updated 64-bit W10 Pro's Edge
>> v112. Or is it just me?
>
>I loaded Edge, went to Help & Feedback, About Microsoft Edge, I was at
>112, and the update process started automatically. After a restart of
>Edge, I was at 113.

I got the same, under Win11, but shouldn't make a difference to this.

>https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/microsoft-edge-update-settings-af8aaca2-1b69-4870-94fe-18822dbb7ef1
>
>Under the 'Always stay up to date' section, it says there should be a
>"Download and install updates automatically" option. I don't see it.

I don't see that, either.

--
Joel Crump

Re: Edge v113?

<t7yn6g2uzlxu$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=70954&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#70954

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 5 May 2023 19:43:57 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 6 May 2023 00:43 UTC

VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

> Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:
>
>> I'm not seeing v113 update offered for my updated 64-bit W10 Pro's Edge
>> v112. Or is it just me?
>
> I loaded Edge, went to Help & Feedback, About Microsoft Edge, I was at
> 112, and the update process started automatically. After a restart of
> Edge, I was at 113.
>
> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/microsoft-edge-update-settings-af8aaca2-1b69-4870-94fe-18822dbb7ef1
>
> Under the 'Always stay up to date' section, it says there should be a
> "Download and install updates automatically" option. I don't see it.

By the way, after the update to 113 of Edge, Microsoft decided to dump a
search bar onto my desktop. I clicked the 3-button menu in the search
bar, and elected to close it. It went away. I don't know how to make
it come back should you want it again. There's no entry in the context
menu for the desktop showing a turn-on option.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/203446-enable-disable-microsoft-edge-desktop-search-bar-windows-10-a.html

That mentions the same procedure I used to get rid of the search bar.
Apparently you have to do a registry edit to get it back.

I sure wish Microsoft would stop hiring high-school developers that
think gimmickry is cool. They're the same kids that think having images
for the desktop is cool. Well, for kids, more noise means more fun.

Re: Edge v113?

<u34d20$2maid$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=70955&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#70955

From: keith_nu...@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 5 May 2023 22:12:15 -0400
 by: knuttle - Sat, 6 May 2023 02:12 UTC

On 5/5/2023 8:43 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>
>> Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not seeing v113 update offered for my updated 64-bit W10 Pro's Edge
>>> v112. Or is it just me?
>>
>> I loaded Edge, went to Help & Feedback, About Microsoft Edge, I was at
>> 112, and the update process started automatically. After a restart of
>> Edge, I was at 113.
>>
>> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/microsoft-edge-update-settings-af8aaca2-1b69-4870-94fe-18822dbb7ef1
>>
>> Under the 'Always stay up to date' section, it says there should be a
>> "Download and install updates automatically" option. I don't see it.
>
> By the way, after the update to 113 of Edge, Microsoft decided to dump a
> search bar onto my desktop. I clicked the 3-button menu in the search
> bar, and elected to close it. It went away. I don't know how to make
> it come back should you want it again. There's no entry in the context
> menu for the desktop showing a turn-on option.
>
> https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/203446-enable-disable-microsoft-edge-desktop-search-bar-windows-10-a.html
>
> That mentions the same procedure I used to get rid of the search bar.
> Apparently you have to do a registry edit to get it back.
>
> I sure wish Microsoft would stop hiring high-school developers that
> think gimmickry is cool. They're the same kids that think having images
> for the desktop is cool. Well, for kids, more noise means more fun.
Is there a difference between the one that Edge creates and the search
window that can be added to the toolbar? (Right click on the toolbar,
Select Search from the popup menu, where four options are offered, one
being show search box on toolbar)

I am running fully updated Windows 10.

Re: Edge v113?

<5cmb5i19rpu1uq7dg4vemp993qtu62gk9b@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=70956&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#70956

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 06 May 2023 16:45:04 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Sat, 6 May 2023 04:45 UTC

On Fri, 05 May 2023 23:06:25 +0000, Ant wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm not seeing v113 update offered for my updated 64-bit W10 Pro's Edge
> v112. Or is it just me?
>
> Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)

Edge 113 offered here, both on 64-bit Win10 Pro and on 32-bit Win10 Pro.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Δος μοι πα στω και ταν γαν κινάσω
-- Archimēdēs of Syracuse

Re: Edge v113?

<tmhs74dogepr$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=70957&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#70957

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 6 May 2023 00:22:44 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 6 May 2023 05:22 UTC

knuttle <keith_nuttle@yahoo.com> wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>>> I loaded Edge, went to Help & Feedback, About Microsoft Edge, I was at
>>> 112, and the update process started automatically. After a restart of
>>> Edge, I was at 113.
>>>
>>> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/microsoft-edge-update-settings-af8aaca2-1b69-4870-94fe-18822dbb7ef1
>>>
>>> Under the 'Always stay up to date' section, it says there should be a
>>> "Download and install updates automatically" option. I don't see it.
>>
>> By the way, after the update to 113 of Edge, Microsoft decided to dump a
>> search bar onto my desktop. I clicked the 3-button menu in the search
>> bar, and elected to close it. It went away. I don't know how to make
>> it come back should you want it again. There's no entry in the context
>> menu for the desktop showing a turn-on option.
>>
>> https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/203446-enable-disable-microsoft-edge-desktop-search-bar-windows-10-a.html
>>
>> That mentions the same procedure I used to get rid of the search bar.
>> Apparently you have to do a registry edit to get it back.
>>
>> I sure wish Microsoft would stop hiring high-school developers that
>> think gimmickry is cool. They're the same kids that think having images
>> for the desktop is cool. Well, for kids, more noise means more fun.
> Is there a difference between the one that Edge creates and the search
> window that can be added to the toolbar? (Right click on the toolbar,
> Select Search from the popup menu, where four options are offered, one
> being show search box on toolbar)
>
> I am running fully updated Windows 10.

I hid the Taskbar search bar a long time ago, like right after
installing Windows 10. It is superfluous. I can enter text using the
Start menu to do the same search.

The search bar the Edge v113 added is smack in the middle of my desktop.
Nowhere near the Taskbar. The TenForums article that I mentioned has a
screenshot of the new search bar. First you only see the search bar.
The big dialog box shown in their pic is after clicking on the 3-dot
menu in the search bar, and electing to close it. If you want to see
what I saw, read the TenForums article.

Re: Edge v113?

<u350nf$2p6nj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=70962&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#70962

From: winston...@gmail.com (...winston)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 6 May 2023 03:47:58 -0400
 by: ...winston - Sat, 6 May 2023 07:47 UTC

VanguardLH wrote:
> Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:
>
>> I'm not seeing v113 update offered for my updated 64-bit W10 Pro's Edge
>> v112. Or is it just me?
>
> I loaded Edge, went to Help & Feedback, About Microsoft Edge, I was at
> 112, and the update process started automatically. After a restart of
> Edge, I was at 113.
>
> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/microsoft-edge-update-settings-af8aaca2-1b69-4870-94fe-18822dbb7ef1
>
> Under the 'Always stay up to date' section, it says there should be a
> "Download and install updates automatically" option. I don't see it.

Old article, at least 2.0 yrs old(possibly pre-Chrome or during the 6
month period of Edge-to-EdgeCr full automatic deployment)
- the original full deployment of EdgeCr to replace Edge and remove
Edge Legacy was Spring 2021. Some devices on Win10 did not receive
EdgeCr via Win 10 Windows Update until Fall 2021.
- 'More' (Settings/More) no longer exists.
=> The closest Edge CR feature is 'More Tools' but it lacks options
for updating. Edge updates automatically, the only leverage is turning
of the updater in Task Manager

w/r to the MSFT support article
- no mention of Edge Chromium applicability
- it alludes(not as clearly as it should, could have been written
better) two conditions where auto-updating doesn't apply(Metered
connections and devices with cellular capability purchased in China
- if those conditions apply, then user intervention via Edge's
settings/more **was** available(for Edge legacy)

This article which also alludes to Alt-F as an option to access Settings
and More while still correct that it pulls up the same options as the
'3-dot' chevron, the 'More' option is not present, but More Tools is.
<https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/keyboard-shortcuts-in-microsoft-edge-50d3edab-30d9-c7e4-21ce-37fe2713cfad>

Too many articles that will or could never be updated.
I once offered my services as a copy editor, MSFT thought I was joking.
I wasn't.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Edge v113?

<u35iho$2rtm9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=70964&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#70964

From: keith_nu...@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 6 May 2023 08:52:08 -0400
 by: knuttle - Sat, 6 May 2023 12:52 UTC

On 5/6/2023 1:22 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
> knuttle <keith_nuttle@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> VanguardLH wrote:

>>> By the way, after the update to 113 of Edge, Microsoft decided to dump a
>>> search bar onto my desktop. I clicked the 3-button menu in the search
>>> bar, and elected to close it. It went away. I don't know how to make
>>> it come back should you want it again. There's no entry in the context
>>> menu for the desktop showing a turn-on option.
>>>
>>> https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/203446-enable-disable-microsoft-edge-desktop-search-bar-windows-10-a.html
>>>
>>> That mentions the same procedure I used to get rid of the search bar.
>>> Apparently you have to do a registry edit to get it back.
>>>
>>> I sure wish Microsoft would stop hiring high-school developers that
>>> think gimmickry is cool. They're the same kids that think having images
>>> for the desktop is cool. Well, for kids, more noise means more fun.
>> Is there a difference between the one that Edge creates and the search
>> window that can be added to the toolbar? (Right click on the toolbar,
>> Select Search from the popup menu, where four options are offered, one
>> being show search box on toolbar)
>>
>> I am running fully updated Windows 10.
>
> I hid the Taskbar search bar a long time ago, like right after
> installing Windows 10. It is superfluous. I can enter text using the
> Start menu to do the same search.
>
> The search bar the Edge v113 added is smack in the middle of my desktop.
> Nowhere near the Taskbar. The TenForums article that I mentioned has a
> screenshot of the new search bar. First you only see the search bar.
> The big dialog box shown in their pic is after clicking on the 3-dot
> menu in the search bar, and electing to close it. If you want to see
> what I saw, read the TenForums article.
In that article, and in the post by Bree, at the bottom of the picture
in his post it shows a button to turn off Search Bar.

Re: Edge v113?

<4xjfoasrt71f$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=70971&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#70971

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 6 May 2023 12:31:22 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 6 May 2023 17:31 UTC

knuttle <keith_nuttle@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 5/6/2023 1:22 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
>> knuttle <keith_nuttle@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> Is there a difference between the one that Edge creates and the search
>>> window that can be added to the toolbar? (Right click on the toolbar,
>>> Select Search from the popup menu, where four options are offered, one
>>> being show search box on toolbar)
>>>
>>> I am running fully updated Windows 10.
>>
>> I hid the Taskbar search bar a long time ago, like right after
>> installing Windows 10. It is superfluous. I can enter text using the
>> Start menu to do the same search.
>>
>> The search bar the Edge v113 added is smack in the middle of my desktop.
>> Nowhere near the Taskbar. The TenForums article that I mentioned has a
>> screenshot of the new search bar. First you only see the search bar.
>> The big dialog box shown in their pic is after clicking on the 3-dot
>> menu in the search bar, and electing to close it. If you want to see
>> what I saw, read the TenForums article.
>
> In that article, and in the post by Bree, at the bottom of the picture
> in his post it shows a button to turn off Search Bar.

Yep, that's what I had to click (after clicking on the 3-button menu
inside the desktop Search bar) to get rid of the search bar that showed
up in the middle of my desktop.

That is different than right-clicking on the Taskbar, and clicking on
Search to hide, show as icon, or show options for the search bar in the
Taskbar. For me, that was already set to hide a long time ago, and was
still set to hide after installing Edge 113.

With the Taskbar searchbar, you can option to show, hide, or iconify
that Taskbar object. With the desktop searchbar that just showed up,
you can elect to close it, but after it disappears there is no option to
open it again. Almost as if Microsoft users to get irritated with yet
another searchbar, this time in the middle of their desktop, and to
offer a means to get rid of it, but making obtuse how to enable it.

Re: Edge v113?

<tn4d5i94m6vabad537bhcc3qfn2lo80sp6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=70972&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#70972

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 06 May 2023 10:49:16 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sat, 6 May 2023 17:49 UTC

On Fri, 5 May 2023 19:43:57 -0500, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>
>> Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not seeing v113 update offered for my updated 64-bit W10 Pro's Edge
>>> v112. Or is it just me?
>>
>> I loaded Edge, went to Help & Feedback, About Microsoft Edge, I was at
>> 112, and the update process started automatically. After a restart of
>> Edge, I was at 113.
>>
>> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/microsoft-edge-update-settings-af8aaca2-1b69-4870-94fe-18822dbb7ef1
>>
>> Under the 'Always stay up to date' section, it says there should be a
>> "Download and install updates automatically" option. I don't see it.
>
>By the way, after the update to 113 of Edge, Microsoft decided to dump a
>search bar onto my desktop.

That didn't happen here, under Windows 11.

> I clicked the 3-button menu in the search
>bar, and elected to close it. It went away. I don't know how to make
>it come back should you want it again. There's no entry in the context
>menu for the desktop showing a turn-on option.
>
>https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/203446-enable-disable-microsoft-edge-desktop-search-bar-windows-10-a.html
>
>That mentions the same procedure I used to get rid of the search bar.
>Apparently you have to do a registry edit to get it back.
>
>I sure wish Microsoft would stop hiring high-school developers that
>think gimmickry is cool. They're the same kids that think having images
>for the desktop is cool. Well, for kids, more noise means more fun.

Re: Edge v113?

<u369ff$2vkqf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=70977&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#70977

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 6 May 2023 15:23:27 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 6 May 2023 19:23 UTC

On 5/6/2023 1:49 PM, Ken Blake wrote:
> On Fri, 5 May 2023 19:43:57 -0500, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>
>> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>>> I loaded Edge, went to Help & Feedback, About Microsoft Edge, I was at
>>> 112, and the update process started automatically. After a restart of
>>> Edge, I was at 113.
>>>
>>> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/microsoft-edge-update-settings-af8aaca2-1b69-4870-94fe-18822dbb7ef1
>>>
>>> Under the 'Always stay up to date' section, it says there should be a
>>> "Download and install updates automatically" option. I don't see it.
>>
>> By the way, after the update to 113 of Edge, Microsoft decided to dump a
>> search bar onto my desktop.
>
> That didn't happen here, under Windows 11.

Now, who knew how many features we were not seeing, by ignoring MSEdge :-)

"Microsoft Edge bar (Search Bar): To be or not To be (6 min 22 sec total)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkzp98DwlPg

So many widgets and gadgets, so little time.

Since the feature is being a:b tested, and a certain percentage of people
are ignoring stuff like this, they're probably unlikely to receive it.

And maybe choosing to shut it off, actually stops the test.

Paul

Re: Edge v113?

<qM-dndXozv64lcr5nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=70984&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#70984

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 07 May 2023 02:08:37 +0000
 by: Ant - Sun, 7 May 2023 02:08 UTC

Ant <ant@zimage.comant> wrote:
> Hello,

> I'm not seeing v113 update offered for my updated 64-bit W10 Pro's Edge
> v112. Or is it just me?

> Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)

Got v113 earlier today! :)
--
"[Jesus] is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only ours but also for the sins of the whole world." --1 John 2:2. May da 6th B with U 4 da dark side & I B coronated.
| |o o| |

Re: Edge v113?

<u37k5h$39md6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=70987&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#70987

From: winston...@gmail.com (...winston)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 7 May 2023 03:31:59 -0400
 by: ...winston - Sun, 7 May 2023 07:31 UTC

> Yep, that's what I had to click (after clicking on the 3-button menu
> inside the desktop Search bar) to get rid of the search bar that showed
> up in the middle of my desktop.

Turn on desktop Search Bar
Edge Chromium/<click 3 dot chevron in upper right>/More Tools
=> Launch Search Bar

Turn off desktop Search Bar
Desktop Search Bar<click on 3 dot chevron on the Search bar>
=> Close Search Bar

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Edge v113?

<itn40w79yrhl$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=70988&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#70988

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 7 May 2023 04:00:35 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 7 May 2023 09:00 UTC

"...winston" <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Yep, that's what I had to click (after clicking on the 3-button menu
>> inside the desktop Search bar) to get rid of the search bar that showed
>> up in the middle of my desktop.
>>

> Turn on desktop Search Bar
> Edge Chromium/<click 3 dot chevron in upper right>/More Tools
> => Launch Search Bar
>
> Turn off desktop Search Bar
> Desktop Search Bar<click on 3 dot chevron on the Search bar>
> => Close Search Bar

Didn't think of looking in Edge for controlling a separate search bar on
the desktop. However, since the search bar showed up with an Edge
update, yeah, I suppose they're linked, but I didn't think of that.
Didn't make sense Microsoft would have a 'close' option of the search
bar with no corresponding 'open' option. Thanks for the info.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/microsoft-edge-relnote-stable-channel

Nothing stuck out as obvious as to why I got the desktop search bar
after the 113 update.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftedge/forum/all/disable-microsoft-edge-desktop-search-bar-in/f292e98d-0fdd-4048-936f-0bff35099a8a

According to that article, the desktop search bar showed up in 111. Odd
I didn't get nuisanced until the update to 113. Guess my luck ran out.

https://www.neowin.net/news/following-windows-11-microsoft-pushes-bing-desktop-search-bar-to-windows-10-via-edge/

Did this "widget" show up first in Windows 11, and now Microsoft is
moving their experiment to Windows 10? I was trying to avoid anything
Windows 11.

What I did not notice was the desktop search bar adds a systray icon. I
had closed the search bar so quickly that I never noticed its adds a
systray icon.

Re: Edge v113?

<u38r47$3fn4f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=70992&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#70992

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 7 May 2023 14:36:54 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 7 May 2023 18:36 UTC

On 5/7/2023 5:00 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
> "...winston" <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Yep, that's what I had to click (after clicking on the 3-button menu
>>> inside the desktop Search bar) to get rid of the search bar that showed
>>> up in the middle of my desktop.
>>>

>> Turn on desktop Search Bar
>> Edge Chromium/<click 3 dot chevron in upper right>/More Tools
>> => Launch Search Bar
>>
>> Turn off desktop Search Bar
>> Desktop Search Bar<click on 3 dot chevron on the Search bar>
>> => Close Search Bar
>
> Didn't think of looking in Edge for controlling a separate search bar on
> the desktop. However, since the search bar showed up with an Edge
> update, yeah, I suppose they're linked, but I didn't think of that.
> Didn't make sense Microsoft would have a 'close' option of the search
> bar with no corresponding 'open' option. Thanks for the info.
>
> https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/microsoft-edge-relnote-stable-channel
>
> Nothing stuck out as obvious as to why I got the desktop search bar
> after the 113 update.
>
> https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftedge/forum/all/disable-microsoft-edge-desktop-search-bar-in/f292e98d-0fdd-4048-936f-0bff35099a8a
>
> According to that article, the desktop search bar showed up in 111. Odd
> I didn't get nuisanced until the update to 113. Guess my luck ran out.
>
> https://www.neowin.net/news/following-windows-11-microsoft-pushes-bing-desktop-search-bar-to-windows-10-via-edge/
>
> Did this "widget" show up first in Windows 11, and now Microsoft is
> moving their experiment to Windows 10? I was trying to avoid anything
> Windows 11.
>
> What I did not notice was the desktop search bar adds a systray icon. I
> had closed the search bar so quickly that I never noticed its adds a
> systray icon.

This is all I got in my Cracker Jacks box.

No Launch Search Bar.

[Picture] 113.0.1774.35 , W11 Home

https://i.postimg.cc/L4kX4gd1/msedge-113-more-tools.gif # W11 Home

One thing I noticed different, between that version of Edge
in Win10 and Win11, is in Win10 the fonts are sub-pixel rendered
with color feathering. And in Win11, the fonts use gray-scale
feathering. The W10 is more readable.

Paul

Re: Edge v113?

<u39629$3hjkj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=70994&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#70994

From: winston...@gmail.com (...winston)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 7 May 2023 17:43:35 -0400
 by: ...winston - Sun, 7 May 2023 21:43 UTC

VanguardLH wrote:
> "...winston" <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Yep, that's what I had to click (after clicking on the 3-button menu
>>> inside the desktop Search bar) to get rid of the search bar that showed
>>> up in the middle of my desktop.
>>>

>> Turn on desktop Search Bar
>> Edge Chromium/<click 3 dot chevron in upper right>/More Tools
>> => Launch Search Bar
>>
>> Turn off desktop Search Bar
>> Desktop Search Bar<click on 3 dot chevron on the Search bar>
>> => Close Search Bar
>
> Didn't think of looking in Edge for controlling a separate search bar on
> the desktop. However, since the search bar showed up with an Edge
> update, yeah, I suppose they're linked, but I didn't think of that.
> Didn't make sense Microsoft would have a 'close' option of the search
> bar with no corresponding 'open' option. Thanks for the info.
>
> https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/microsoft-edge-relnote-stable-channel
>
> Nothing stuck out as obvious as to why I got the desktop search bar
> after the 113 update.
>
> https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftedge/forum/all/disable-microsoft-edge-desktop-search-bar-in/f292e98d-0fdd-4048-936f-0bff35099a8a
>
> According to that article, the desktop search bar showed up in 111. Odd
> I didn't get nuisanced until the update to 113. Guess my luck ran out.
>
> https://www.neowin.net/news/following-windows-11-microsoft-pushes-bing-desktop-search-bar-to-windows-10-via-edge/
>
> Did this "widget" show up first in Windows 11, and now Microsoft is
> moving their experiment to Windows 10? I was trying to avoid anything
> Windows 11.
>
> What I did not notice was the desktop search bar adds a systray icon. I
> had closed the search bar so quickly that I never noticed its adds a
> systray icon.

I don't recall any reference to the Edge desktop Search bar eing
deployed independently in Win11.
It first appeared in the Edge Insider channel(beta, canary, dev
-whatever one wishes to call pre-RTM testing versions) quite some time
ago, at least a year ago. Edge Insider is/was always for both Win10 and
Win11.

The option to disable, like the current version, was the same(click the
3 dots on the bar, and disable - slightly different wording in the
pre-release version. The earlier on the 3-dot context menu on the Edge
desktop bar was called 'Edge bar', now just 'Search Bar'.

The option to enable via Edge's More Tools came later(don't recall the
exact timing, but I suspect, a bit later Edge Update since a variety of
folks pushed registry tweaks to disable(or they just flat out missed or
didn't look for the Edge More Tools option).

Since it was available in Edge Insider channel on both Win10/11 it's
unlikely it was tied to recent Windows updates(cumulative or Servicing
Stack as a necessity for deployment) but that doesn't necessarily
indicate the under-hood code(Edge not Windows) had some timing related
condition/setting for first deploy appearance).

Note: I've only seen it appear(on Desktop) once and that was in April
2023 and that was on Win10 Pro 22H2. The bars 3-dot disable option term
at that time was 'Search bar' not 'Edge Bar'

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Edge v113?

<1qh1r9ae3uprc$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=71866&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#71866

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 12:56:59 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 17:56 UTC

VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>
>> Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not seeing v113 update offered for my updated 64-bit W10 Pro's Edge
>>> v112. Or is it just me?
>>
>> I loaded Edge, went to Help & Feedback, About Microsoft Edge, I was at
>> 112, and the update process started automatically. After a restart of
>> Edge, I was at 113.
>>
>> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/microsoft-edge-update-settings-af8aaca2-1b69-4870-94fe-18822dbb7ef1
>>
>> Under the 'Always stay up to date' section, it says there should be a
>> "Download and install updates automatically" option. I don't see it.
>
> By the way, after the update to 113 of Edge, Microsoft decided to dump a
> search bar onto my desktop. I clicked the 3-button menu in the search
> bar, and elected to close it. It went away. I don't know how to make
> it come back should you want it again. There's no entry in the context
> menu for the desktop showing a turn-on option.
>
> https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/203446-enable-disable-microsoft-edge-desktop-search-bar-windows-10-a.html
>
> That mentions the same procedure I used to get rid of the search bar.
> Apparently you have to do a registry edit to get it back.
>
> I sure wish Microsoft would stop hiring high-school developers that
> think gimmickry is cool. They're the same kids that think having images
> for the desktop is cool. Well, for kids, more noise means more fun.

I loaded Edge-Chromium today in checking on a site's certificate after
having problems with the site in Firefox. Yep, then it undid the
disable, and the MS search bar was on my desktop again. Will have to
find a way to permanently kill the MS search bar regardless of Edge
trying to reinstate it.

The reinstated desktop search bar was obvious not only because it
reappeared, but MS pops up an info window announcing how great it is.
Disabling the "feature" is not sufficient as MS, in an update, or Edge
when ran can decide to re-enable the "feature".

Although I elected the option to hide this search bar, it didn't stick.
6 weeks later it reappeared, and I had to hide it again. I'll try the
registry hack to see if that permanently kills this "feature". Even
when I disable the Edge desktop search bar, that does not define the
following registry key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge]
"WebWidgetAllowed"=dword:00000000

I'll have to watch if the Edge desktop search bar shows up again, and,
if so, check if MS deleted this registry entry, doesn't obey it, or
alters it to a 1 value (to enable the Allow).