From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Australia government programming
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 13:45:06 +1000
 by: Sylvia Else - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 03:45 UTC

https://vaccines.digitalhealth.gov.au/checkin

On a smart phone (mine's an Android), which is how this is typically
used, how does one change today's date into one's date of birth, without
swiping back on the month hundreds of times?

(One answer is to be a teenager, but otherwise?)

Sylvia.

Re: Australia government programming

<sm0r1g4c663.fsf@lakka.kapsi.fi>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=712&group=comp.misc#712

From: as...@sci.fi (Anssi Saari)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Re: Australia government programming
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 11:01:08 +0300
sha1:uue3p01/6oN/26kr013k1q4aqeU=
 by: Anssi Saari - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 08:01 UTC

Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid> writes:

> https://vaccines.digitalhealth.gov.au/checkin
>
> On a smart phone (mine's an Android), which is how this is typically
> used, how does one change today's date into one's date of birth,
> without swiping back on the month hundreds of times?

Once you get the month view, tap on the 2021 on top left of that popup
for a scrollable year selection.

Not exactly obvious. Nothing wrong with entering a date of birth...

Re: Australia government programming

<il2d0gFsfasU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=713&group=comp.misc#713

From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 18:32:16 +1000
 by: Sylvia Else - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 08:32 UTC

On 12-Jul-21 6:01 pm, Anssi Saari wrote:
> Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid> writes:
>
>> https://vaccines.digitalhealth.gov.au/checkin
>>
>> On a smart phone (mine's an Android), which is how this is typically
>> used, how does one change today's date into one's date of birth,
>> without swiping back on the month hundreds of times?
>
> Once you get the month view, tap on the 2021 on top left of that popup
> for a scrollable year selection.
>
> Not exactly obvious. Nothing wrong with entering a date of birth...

Yes.

I tried a lot of tapping of random places, but the year number is a
small target, and I didn't find it at the time.

I've sent the government an appropriate criticism of the practice of
just assuming that everyone knows in detail how to use an Android phone.
I dare say they'll file it under NFA.

Sylvia.

Re: Australia government programming

<schr94$kc1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=722&group=comp.misc#722

From: ric...@example.invalid (Rich)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 16:40:04 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Rich - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 16:40 UTC

Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid> wrote:
> On 12-Jul-21 6:01 pm, Anssi Saari wrote:
>> Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid> writes:
>>
>>> https://vaccines.digitalhealth.gov.au/checkin
>>>
>>> On a smart phone (mine's an Android), which is how this is typically
>>> used, how does one change today's date into one's date of birth,
>>> without swiping back on the month hundreds of times?
>>
>> Once you get the month view, tap on the 2021 on top left of that popup
>> for a scrollable year selection.
>>
>> Not exactly obvious. Nothing wrong with entering a date of birth...
>>

> Yes.
>
> I tried a lot of tapping of random places, but the year number is a
> small target, and I didn't find it at the time.

Yes, very small -- and with absolutely no visual hint that it just so
happens to be a control that does something.

> I've sent the government an appropriate criticism of the practice of
> just assuming that everyone knows in detail how to use an Android
> phone. I dare say they'll file it under NFA.

You should have filed the complaint with Google, as Google is the one
who made the dialog. The app. put out by the Australian Govt. is
likely just using the standard Android built in date picker.

You can blame Google's material design (which, translated, means: "no
visual hinting that anything is a touch target - and only colors that
are so close in contrast as to be almost indistinguishable being
available for use).

Re: Australia government programming

<il40quF7n34U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=736&group=comp.misc#736

From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 09:16:44 +1000
 by: Sylvia Else - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 23:16 UTC

On 13-Jul-21 2:40 am, Rich wrote:

> Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid> wrote:
>> I've sent the government an appropriate criticism of the practice of
>> just assuming that everyone knows in detail how to use an Android
>> phone. I dare say they'll file it under NFA.
>
> The app. put out by the Australian Govt. is
> likely just using the standard Android built in date picker.

It is, but that was a design decision too. They should have looked at
the date picker, realised it was no good for an application that people
are almost compelled to use, and done something else.

Even a "Are you having trouble setting the year? Here's how..." on the
page would have been an improvement.

Sylvia.

Re: Australia government programming

<ab388469-259e-aa16-bd27-736094d41bcb@scorecrow.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=754&group=comp.misc#754

From: 07....@scorecrow.com (Bruce Horrocks)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 20:44:00 +0100
 by: Bruce Horrocks - Thu, 15 Jul 2021 19:44 UTC

On 13/07/2021 00:16, Sylvia Else wrote:
> On 13-Jul-21 2:40 am, Rich wrote:
>
>> Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid> wrote:
>>> I've sent the government an appropriate criticism of the practice of
>>> just assuming that everyone knows in detail how to use an Android
>>> phone.  I dare say they'll file it under NFA.
>>
>> The app.  put out by the Australian Govt.  is
>> likely just using the standard Android built in date picker.
>
> It is, but that was a design decision too. They should have looked at
> the date picker, realised it was no good for an application that people
> are almost compelled to use, and done something else.
>
> Even a "Are you having trouble setting the year? Here's how..." on the
> page would have been an improvement.

Perhaps they should start a countdown timer when the app is first
launched? It starts at 2021 and decrements once per second. When you
(eventually!) get to the date picker it uses the current timer value as
the default year of birth.

;-)

--
Bruce Horrocks