From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Amazon Prime for May
Date: Mon, 02 May 2022 20:35:47 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Tue, 3 May 2022 00:35 UTC

I dunno, you guys been slackin' on this. I've been waiting for
SOMEBODY to announce these games for days, but no, you're all off
earning a living or playing video games or whatever it is you guys do
(wild sex parties maybe?). I had to go and find out what's being
offered myself. I'm too lazy for this much work!

So, here: the list of 'free' games available (if you don't count the
$200/year entry fee) to Amazon Prime users:

- Dead Space 2
- The Curse of Monkey Island
- Shattered: Tales of the Forgotten Ring
- Out of Line
- Cat Quest
- Mail Mole + 'Xpress Deliveries

I mean, "Dead Space 2" is a nice addition... or it would be if I
didn't own it a half-dozen times already. It's probably the best game
of the franchise, with the most honest scares. I mean, it's no "System
Shock 2", but its close... and it looks a heck of a lot better too.

"The Curse of Monkey Isle" is a nice addition too, especially since
they've already offered the first two games of the series on Prime.
Personally, "Curse" is my favorite of the franchise, even if the art
style does take a bit getting used to. It does suffer a bit from
sequelitis, but it's still a pretty good game.

"Shattered" doesn't look all that impressive to me, but it's gotten
some good reviews, although more for its world-building and atmosphere
than its gameplay. The latter seems like a fairly low-key
Diablo-clone, so not too exciting. But it might be worth a visit just
to roam its big open map.

And the rest? Well, it looks like filler. "Out of Line" is a typical
Indie platformer: hand-drawn 2D artwork of a child traversing a
vaguely post-apocalyptic world, avoiding killer obstacles and monsters
and solving simplistic puzzles. It might be a good game (reviews seem
positive) but I've seen it dozens of times before. "Cat Quest" is a
fairly linear Zelda-clone... except you play a cat. "Mail Mole" is a
3D platformer that obviously is going for the nostalgia factor to
boost sales. Well, obviously some people like this sort of game; me,
I'll happily pass.

Now I gotta go take a nap (all this work googlin' the games got me all
tuckered out)! Next month, I expect this done for me! ;-)

Re: Amazon Prime for May

<20817hdveo1l1upieq56g9ooq08ouuld1g@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7131&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7131

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Amazon Prime for May
Date: Mon, 02 May 2022 21:24:18 -0600
 by: PW - Tue, 3 May 2022 03:24 UTC

On Mon, 02 May 2022 20:35:47 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>I dunno, you guys been slackin' on this. I've been waiting for
>SOMEBODY to announce these games for days, but no, you're all off
>earning a living or playing video games or whatever it is you guys do
>(wild sex parties maybe?). I had to go and find out what's being
>offered myself. I'm too lazy for this much work!
>
>So, here: the list of 'free' games available (if you don't count the
>$200/year entry fee) to Amazon Prime users:
>
>- Dead Space 2
>- The Curse of Monkey Island
>- Shattered: Tales of the Forgotten Ring
>- Out of Line
>- Cat Quest
>- Mail Mole + 'Xpress Deliveries
>
>I mean, "Dead Space 2" is a nice addition... or it would be if I
>didn't own it a half-dozen times already. It's probably the best game
>of the franchise, with the most honest scares. I mean, it's no "System
>Shock 2", but its close... and it looks a heck of a lot better too.
>
>"The Curse of Monkey Isle" is a nice addition too, especially since
>they've already offered the first two games of the series on Prime.
>Personally, "Curse" is my favorite of the franchise, even if the art
>style does take a bit getting used to. It does suffer a bit from
>sequelitis, but it's still a pretty good game.
>
>"Shattered" doesn't look all that impressive to me, but it's gotten
>some good reviews, although more for its world-building and atmosphere
>than its gameplay. The latter seems like a fairly low-key
>Diablo-clone, so not too exciting. But it might be worth a visit just
>to roam its big open map.
>
>And the rest? Well, it looks like filler. "Out of Line" is a typical
>Indie platformer: hand-drawn 2D artwork of a child traversing a
>vaguely post-apocalyptic world, avoiding killer obstacles and monsters
>and solving simplistic puzzles. It might be a good game (reviews seem
>positive) but I've seen it dozens of times before. "Cat Quest" is a
>fairly linear Zelda-clone... except you play a cat. "Mail Mole" is a
>3D platformer that obviously is going for the nostalgia factor to
>boost sales. Well, obviously some people like this sort of game; me,
>I'll happily pass.
>

>Now I gotta go take a nap (all this work googlin' the games got me all
>tuckered out)! Next month, I expect this done for me! ;-)

Thanks fo looking all that up! I did like the Dead Space games a lot.
Forgot about them. I think I still have 3 installed and maybe 1 or 2.

Maybe Monkey Island somewhere.

-pw

Re: Amazon Prime for May

<vel27htv4r5f7ej5qpb5iql81ddve7d0cb@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7132&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7132

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 03 May 2022 13:02:50 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Tue, 3 May 2022 17:02 UTC

On Mon, 02 May 2022 21:24:18 -0600, PW
<iamnotusingonewithAgent@notinuse.com> wrote:
>On Mon, 02 May 2022 20:35:47 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
><spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>>- Dead Space 2
>>- The Curse of Monkey Island
>>- Shattered: Tales of the Forgotten Ring
>>- Out of Line
>>- Cat Quest
>>- Mail Mole + 'Xpress Deliveries

>Thanks fo looking all that up! I did like the Dead Space games a lot.
>Forgot about them. I think I still have 3 installed and maybe 1 or 2.

I quite enjoyed all three (four) games of the Dead Space franchise. As
mentioned, I consider the 2nd game the best of the series, but the
other games weren't without merit. The original suffered from a lack
of polish; some rough graphics and controls, and an uncertainty as to
what sort of game they wanted to make meant for an experience that was
less smooth than it could have been. "Dead Space 3" was the
franchises' nadir ( suffering both from too many post-game
monetizations (including cutting out the game's entire final chapter)
and a transformation from action-horror to rather mundane action), but
it was still entertaining. Even the mobile game was pretty good,
although its touch-screen controls just reinforced my hatred of
touch-screen controls ;-)

But if you're remotely interested in the series, you probably already
own this game, as it's been offered as a freebie numerous times in the
past (you may, like myself, even have paid money for it). So getting
it on Amazon is a lot less exciting than it otherwise ought to be.

>Maybe Monkey Island somewhere.

Now, "CoMI" I can get more excited about. Even though it's been
available for sale on GOG for a dog's age, this is the first time I'm
aware of that it's being offered for free. The cynical part of me says
this is just a marketing effort designed to promote the recently
announced "Return to Monkey Island", except Amazon (and, before them,
their partners at Twitch) were offering the Monkey Island games for
years prior to this.

Plus, like I said, I think "Curse" might be the best of the series...
if only because it introduced Murray the Talking Skull.