One can't proceed from the informal to the formal by formal means.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: fast boot fix, again

SubjectAuthor
* fast boot fix, againT
+* Re: fast boot fix, againChar Jackson
|+* Re: fast boot fix, againPaul
||+* Re: fast boot fix, againT
|||`* Re: fast boot fix, againPaul
||| +* Re: fast boot fix, again...winston
||| `* Re: fast boot fix, againT
|||  `* Re: fast boot fix, againPaul
|||   `* Re: fast boot fix, againT
|||    `* Re: fast boot fix, againPaul
|||     `- Re: fast boot fix, againT
||`* Re: fast boot fix, againEd Cryer
|| `- Re: fast boot fix, againT
|`- Re: fast boot fix, againDavid Brooks
`- Re: fast boot fix, againcaptain_penis

1
fast boot fix, again

<u58rhv$2i3p9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=71430&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#71430

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: fast boot fix, again
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 18:16:47 -0700
 by: T - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 01:16 UTC

Hi All,

W10-22H2

A customer called me with computer issues. She took
about ten minutes telling me everything that was
going wrong. Basically everything.

When I went to log in with Go To Assist, she was off
the internet. Her other computer was able to browse,
so no Internet problems.

So on a hunch, I had her pull the power cord and
restart. This time she could get on the Internet.

Checking power settings and Fast Start up was
enabled. Disabling and manually rebooting and
happy camping returned. Found some junk ware,
but other than that and a general clean up,
could not find anything else wrong. Computer
is working beautifully now

-T

Re: fast boot fix, again

<0ksf7it7bn58ks1uhscspt80rhsk1tdtb4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=71431&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#71431

From: non...@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: fast boot fix, again
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 20:22:30 -0500
 by: Char Jackson - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 01:22 UTC

On Wed, 31 May 2023 18:16:47 -0700, T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>W10-22H2
>
>A customer called me with computer issues. She took
>about ten minutes telling me everything that was
>going wrong. Basically everything.
>
>When I went to log in with Go To Assist, she was off
>the internet. Her other computer was able to browse,
>so no Internet problems.

Cool that you were able to make a remote connection to a PC that didn't
have Internet access.

Re: fast boot fix, again

<u599k5$2n2i3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=71432&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#71432

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 01:16:53 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 05:16 UTC

On 5/31/2023 9:22 PM, Char Jackson wrote:
> On Wed, 31 May 2023 18:16:47 -0700, T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> W10-22H2
>>
>> A customer called me with computer issues. She took
>> about ten minutes telling me everything that was
>> going wrong. Basically everything.
>>
>> When I went to log in with Go To Assist, she was off
>> the internet. Her other computer was able to browse,
>> so no Internet problems.
>
> Cool that you were able to make a remote connection to a PC that didn't
> have Internet access.

We would have to go through T's list of must-have software,
to figure out why this is happening.

https://support.eset.com/en/kb7419-disabling-windows-fast-start-up

"Disabling Windows Fast Start-up can help resolve the following issues:

Single Sign-On (SSO) not logging you into Windows
The computer is slow resuming from a hibernated state or whilst starting up
"

*******

It used to be, that on an older Windows OS, if a .NET upgrade came in
(like Patch Tuesday), NGEN.exe would run and recompile .NET assemblies.
This would include operating system assemblies, as well as any installed
third party assemblies. You could use ProcMon, and watch it visit the files
needing attention.

The Windows Firewall was a famous .NET customer. The .NET assemblies were
supposed to have a JIT compiler option. That means, if the Windows Firewall
tries to load during boot, in 60 seconds or less, a private NGEN would recompile
the assembly currently being "requested" by the loader, and then the Windows
Firewall would come up and the Internet would be working.

Instead, nothing seems to happen. The Windows Firewall is jammed. And it has to
wait until NGEN.exe finishes recompiling the entire machine. Then and only then,
does the Internet come up.

Now, that might have been a Windows 8 issue. At some point, they seemed to be
doing a better job of getting NGEN.exe to run during the installation phase,
and complete work on the assemblies. I no longer experience issues of this
sort, when a Patch Tuesday .NET update comes in. It might have been the case,
that you could not recompile assemblies where the assembly was currently loaded
(file locked), and perhaps these were being left for resolution when the OS booted
(file not locked).

And that's an example of a reason why the Internet does not work immediately
on a Windows computer. It was the lack of the Firewall running, that broke Internet.

If the Firewall is disabled, I bet the executable is still running, but a null
ruleset is being used, to emulate that the Firewall is disabled.

Not writing the Windows Firewall in .NET, would have been a WONDERFUL thing.

*******

"T" needs to go through that basket of laundry again, and look for the
mischievous elf installed on the computer. Is it Norton GoBack ? Is it... ?

Paul

Re: fast boot fix, again

<u59fc3$2nk9g$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=71433&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#71433

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 23:54:59 -0700
 by: T - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 06:54 UTC

On 5/31/23 22:16, Paul wrote:
> [...]
> loaded
> (file locked), and perhaps these were being left for resolution when the
> OS booted
> (file not locked).
>
> And that's an example of a reason why the Internet does not work
> immediately
> on a Windows computer. It was the lack of the Firewall running, that
> broke Internet.
>
> If the Firewall is disabled, I bet the executable is still running, but
> a null
> ruleset is being used, to emulate that the Firewall is disabled.
>
> Not writing the Windows Firewall in .NET, would have been a WONDERFUL
> thing.
>
> *******
>
> "T" needs to go through that basket of laundry again, and look for the
> mischievous elf installed on the computer. Is it Norton GoBack ? Is it... ?

Huh?

Re: fast boot fix, again

<u59kvf$2o4pi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=71434&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#71434

From: ed...@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 09:29:53 +0100
 by: Ed Cryer - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 08:29 UTC

Paul wrote:
> [...]
> loaded
> (file locked), and perhaps these were being left for resolution when the
> OS booted
> (file not locked).
>
> And that's an example of a reason why the Internet does not work
> immediately
> on a Windows computer. It was the lack of the Firewall running, that
> broke Internet.
>
> If the Firewall is disabled, I bet the executable is still running, but
> a null
> ruleset is being used, to emulate that the Firewall is disabled.
>
> Not writing the Windows Firewall in .NET, would have been a WONDERFUL
> thing.
>
> *******
>
> "T" needs to go through that basket of laundry again, and look for the
> mischievous elf installed on the computer. Is it Norton GoBack ? Is it... ?

My recently failed PSU happened shortly after I'd enabled fast boot. I
tried it years previously, found no improvement at all, switched it off.
I read somewhere that it should be on, so I enabled Hibernate which
created the hibernate file, then enabled fast boot.
Shortly thereafter the PSU failed.
Coincidence?
Ed

Re: fast boot fix, again

<u59opi$2oijl$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=71435&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#71435

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 02:35:46 -0700
 by: T - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 09:35 UTC

On 6/1/23 01:29, Ed Cryer wrote:
> [...]
>> broke Internet.
>>
>> If the Firewall is disabled, I bet the executable is still running,
>> but a null
>> ruleset is being used, to emulate that the Firewall is disabled.
>>
>> Not writing the Windows Firewall in .NET, would have been a WONDERFUL
>> thing.
>>
>> *******
>>
>> "T" needs to go through that basket of laundry again, and look for the
>> mischievous elf installed on the computer. Is it Norton GoBack ? Is
>> it... ?
>>
>>     Paul
>
> My recently failed PSU happened shortly after I'd enabled fast boot. I
> tried it years previously, found no improvement at all, switched it off.
> I read somewhere that it should be on, so I enabled Hibernate which
> created the hibernate file, then enabled fast boot.

Yes.
The squeal from your PSU was your temperature
controlled fan trying desperately to lower
the temperature.
Fast startup is responsible for keeping a
computer from getting a real reboot when you
power it off. Fast startup does not mess
with the power supply. Dust and crappy
sleeve bearing fans do.
When the oil dries out from the oil permeable
sleeve bearing, oh the noise before they seize up!

> Ed

Re: fast boot fix, again

<OA2eM.625463$Olad.225243@fx35.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=71436&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#71436

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: Dav...@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 16:13:49 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 15:13 UTC

On 01/06/2023 02:22, Char Jackson wrote:
> On Wed, 31 May 2023 18:16:47 -0700, T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> W10-22H2
>>
>> A customer called me with computer issues. She took
>> about ten minutes telling me everything that was
>> going wrong. Basically everything.
>>
>> When I went to log in with Go To Assist, she was off
>> the internet. Her other computer was able to browse,
>> so no Internet problems.
>
> Cool that you were able to make a remote connection to a PC that didn't
> have Internet access.

I quote ....

"Her *other* computer *WAS* able to browse,
so no Internet problems."

HTH

HAND

Re: fast boot fix, again

<u5aj56$2rdsu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=71437&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#71437

From: vagina_s...@aol.com (captain_penis)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 13:05:42 -0400
 by: captain_penis - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 17:05 UTC

You must be very proud of yourself for providing such
a valuable, high-tech service. Did you change your customer's
geriatric diapers and sniff them? Did you lick your customer's
anus clean, then blow them?

Re: fast boot fix, again

<u5aj5s$2rehn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=71438&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#71438

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 13:06:03 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 17:06 UTC

On 6/1/2023 2:54 AM, T wrote:

>> https://support.eset.com/en/kb7419-disabling-windows-fast-start-up
>>
>>      "Disabling Windows Fast Start-up can help resolve the following issues:
>>
>>          Single Sign-On (SSO) not logging you into Windows
>>          The computer is slow resuming from a hibernated state or whilst starting up
>>      " >
> Huh?

You sell ESET to customers.

This means you own the bugs that come with it.

I don't know how to decode that web page above, except to say there
is some interaction between some version of ESET, and Windows. That's because
AV companies do not document their bugs, the way that other companies do -- it's
because they cannot afford to be truthful about what they're doing.

If you ran Windows Defender instead, then the
bugs would be stuff that everyone here would see
and experience.

When you make a report here, it's like everyone else making a report.
We don't know out here, what's installed on these systems and what
common elements there might be to account for a symptom.

If a certain piece of software is installed on all these systems,
and you report a high incidence of some kind of issue, it's up to you
to verify the addition of that software is not the cause.

Paul

Re: fast boot fix, again

<u5arvo$2se61$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=71440&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#71440

From: winston...@gmail.com (...winston)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 15:36:24 -0400
 by: ...winston - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 19:36 UTC

Paul wrote:

> I don't know how to decode that web page above, except to say there
> is some interaction between some version of ESET, and Windows. That's
>
> If a certain piece of software is installed on all these systems,
> and you report a high incidence of some kind of issue, it's up to you
> to verify the addition of that software is not the cause.
>
>    Paul

No need to decode, the applicable ESET applications would seem to be
unlikely to be in use at the customer
i.e. ESET End Point Security and ESET Internet Security are *not* ESET
Endpoint Encryption or ESET Full Disk Encryption
The latter two(which the article clearly id's), typically require and
ESET Business portal, where and admin(on site) manages users via an
active managed console and activating 'Encryption'

Same old, same old.
- no validation, turn off/turn on, repeat
=> Hypothesis, Define variables(I/D), Prove hypothesis, prove it is
reproducible.
Not doing so, nothing is proved or disproved, nor significant.

Related, ESET End Point Security has a known issue of turning off the
internet communications during an update or upgrade.
- one device without internet access and one with doesn't prove much.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: fast boot fix, again

<u5b6ts$2tj0c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=71443&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#71443

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 15:43:08 -0700
 by: T - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 22:43 UTC

On 6/1/23 10:06, Paul wrote:
> On 6/1/2023 2:54 AM, T wrote:
>

>>> https://support.eset.com/en/kb7419-disabling-windows-fast-start-up
>>>
>>>      "Disabling Windows Fast Start-up can help resolve the following
>>> issues:
>>>
>>>          Single Sign-On (SSO) not logging you into Windows
>>>          The computer is slow resuming from a hibernated state or
>>> whilst starting up
>>>      " >
>> Huh?

Whoever you are, I doubt you are Paul. And
I did not write the above.
> You sell ESET to customers.
>
> This means you own the bugs that come with it.
I sell Windows too. I suppose under your logic
I am responsive for ALL M$'s bugs too.

> I don't know how to decode that web page above, except to say there
> is some interaction between some version of ESET, and Windows. That's
> because
> AV companies do not document their bugs, the way that other companies do
> -- it's
> because they cannot afford to be truthful about what they're doing.
I have never noticed that. One of the reasons why
I sell is its small footprint and ability to
get out of the way of the operating system.
ESET does not hassle the user.

> If you ran Windows Defender instead, then the
> bugs would be stuff that everyone here would see
> and experience.
I use the built in stuff when the situation is
low security. I only sell ESET when there is
reason otherwise
> When you make a report here, it's like everyone else making a report.
> We don't know out here, what's installed on these systems and what
> common elements there might be to account for a symptom.
>
> If a certain piece of software is installed on all these systems,
> and you report a high incidence of some kind of issue, it's up to you
> to verify the addition of that software is not the cause.
>
>    Paul
I do not think you are actually Paul. Paul is
a mensch and a total expert at Windows. What
you just wrote is kind of ...

Re: fast boot fix, again

<u5b718$2tj0c$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=71444&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#71444

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 15:44:56 -0700
 by: T - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 22:44 UTC

On 6/1/23 12:36, ...winston wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>>
>> I don't know how to decode that web page above, except to say there
>> is some interaction between some version of ESET, and Windows. That's
>> If a certain piece of software is installed on all these systems,
>> and you report a high incidence of some kind of issue, it's up to you
>> to verify the addition of that software is not the cause.
>>
>>     Paul
I am not sure Paul wrote this. Paul is 1000 times
smarter and knowledgeable that the above.

> No need to decode, the applicable ESET applications would seem to be
> unlikely to be in use at the customer
> i.e. ESET End Point Security and ESET Internet Security are *not* ESET
> Endpoint Encryption or ESET Full Disk Encryption
> The latter two(which the article clearly id's), typically require and
> ESET Business portal, where and admin(on site) manages users via an
> active managed console and activating 'Encryption'
>

> Same old, same old.
>  - no validation, turn off/turn on, repeat
> => Hypothesis, Define variables(I/D), Prove hypothesis, prove it is
> reproducible.
>  Not doing so, nothing is proved or disproved, nor significant.
>
> Related, ESET End Point Security has a known issue of turning off the
> internet communications during an update or upgrade.
>  - one device without internet access and one with doesn't prove much.

Re: fast boot fix, again

<u5bgf6$327i9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=71445&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#71445

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 21:25:58 -0400
 by: Paul - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 01:25 UTC

On 6/1/2023 6:43 PM, T wrote:
> On 6/1/23 10:06, Paul wrote:

> I do not think you are actually Paul.  Paul is
> a mensch and a total expert at Windows.  What
> you just wrote is kind of  ...

The people who remove malware at Bleepingcomputer,
have this process right.

They insist on running certain utilities, which dump
all sorts of details about a customer environment. They
don't remove any malware for you, "until you confess".
People who get trained as malware removers, this is
all part of the process, the "gathering info first" step.

We don't do that sort of detailed work here. The chances
of us reproducing a problem without the exact environment,
are slim to none.

*******

When MajorLanGod asked the "Strange directory and files"
question, it turned out that Heidi Eraser was the culprit.
Which the OP in that case, discovered and figured out for
himself. Since the directory name was obfuscated, I knew
right away that "Googling a random string of letters"
was going to give me zip all to work with. You know in
such a case, it is likely to be a third-party thing, and
MLG figured that out for himself.

The frequency of these problems you see, as seen in Google,
indicates the logic for refusing to hibernate a kernel
and starting from scratch, is not working right. And I've
been unable to find any evidence such logic even exists
(that an installer sets a flag to prevent Fast Start right
after a driver change).

When a Patch Tuesday comes in, the installation is pre-staged.
This leads to (apparently) some services being turned off
and turned on again, and occasionally, side effects that
hint to the user to "check the calendar for Patch Tuesday".

When you attempt to do a shutdown or a restart, the
PendMoves files are moved into place. That would be a
conservative flag, for indicating that Fast_Startup is
not advised, and a full boot is a good idea. At the time
point that PendMoves runs, more of the files are unlocked
and can be replaced with updated files.

When the system comes back up, additional moving of
files happens. And that is before the OS comes up. In some cases, the
OS does not even come up, and immediately does a restart.

The system is not "file stable", until WindowsUpdate convinces itself
that the update completed successfully. At that point, you could
conclude one more Fast_startup-free restart would be required,
before the system would be stable again.

But is this level of detail available anywhere ?

I bet Russinovich could explain it, but nobody else
seems to care.

Have you ever noticed InFlight directories in the OS ?
How long can a patch remain InFlight ? The answer seems
to be... forever. Nobody or nothing cleans that out.

The process is meant to be mysterious, and it remains... mysterious.

If you work on a Win7 disk drive that has been sitting
unused for a few years, and run Windows Update, what
do you notice ? You notice some really old updates are
scheduled to run. Whereas we were told "the latest Cumulative
is... <cough> Cumulative". Yet the updater logic does not
think so, that a Cumulative smothers all.

As for the frequency of files being updated, the people
over on WSUSOffline keep informal statistics on what files
are getting frequent updates. The kernel file is updated
frequently, a GDI file of some sort was also a player. It was
based on their knowledge of these things, that they have a
recipe over there for tipping Vista SP2 upright. Which very
few other individuals have managed to do. And this tells you,
that the Fast Startup, really should not persist past 30 days
plus however long you punch the "delay my updates" button.
It should never be able to make 90 days, ever. Needing
new kernel versions sees to that.

If certain third party driver-updaters are running on
your customer machines, these should be turned off. These
install updates that conflict with the Windows Update knowledge
of "what is the latest driver". Who knows what damage that
is doing to Fast Startup. I don't want to guess.

Paul

Re: fast boot fix, again

<u5c10l$33nga$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=71448&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#71448

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 23:08:21 -0700
 by: T - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 06:08 UTC

On 6/1/23 18:25, Paul wrote:
> [...]
> over on WSUSOffline keep informal statistics on what files
> are getting frequent updates. The kernel file is updated
> frequently, a GDI file of some sort was also a player. It was
> based on their knowledge of these things, that they have a
> recipe over there for tipping Vista SP2 upright. Which very
> few other individuals have managed to do. And this tells you,
> that the Fast Startup, really should not persist past 30 days
> plus however long you punch the "delay my updates" button.
> It should never be able to make 90 days, ever. Needing
> new kernel versions sees to that.
>
> If certain third party driver-updaters are running on
> your customer machines, these should be turned off. These
> install updates that conflict with the Windows Update knowledge
> of "what is the latest driver". Who knows what damage that
> is doing to Fast Startup. I don't want to guess.

Paul,
All great advice, but ... what does the above
have anything to do with finding a computer
whose OS was crashed and need a real reboot
to recover?
And a customer that thought he was rebooting
when he powered back up after a shutdown that
was not an actual shutdown unbeknownst to
the user?
Are you just rambling or did you forget to
start a new thread? Probably better if you
did new threads as it would draw more readers
to the subject you wanted to discuss.
-T

Re: fast boot fix, again

<u5c2lh$33ret$1@dont-email.me>