God requireth not a uniformity of religion. -- Roger Williams

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Re: [OT] New desktop (part 3)

SubjectAuthor
* [OT] New desktop (part 3)pinnerite
+* Re: [OT] New desktop (part 3)Paul
|`* Re: [OT] New desktop (part 3)pinnerite
| `- Re: [OT] New desktop (part 3)pinnerite
`* Re: [OT] New desktop (part 3)Nic
 `* Re: [OT] New desktop (part 3)Paul
  `- Re: [OT] New desktop (part 3)Nic

1
[OT] New desktop (part 3)

<20231119231041.3efeaf5fa20b6794480bef77@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7134&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7134

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: [OT] New desktop (part 3)
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2023 23:10:41 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Sun, 19 Nov 2023 23:10 UTC

Having bought all the bits, next came assembly.

The ASUS motherboard and Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB NVMe SSD both came from eBuyer.

Imagine my frustration after I had removed the heat sink covering SSD's socket and fitted the SSD on the Asus Prime x670-P motherboard, I could not screw the heat sink down because the supplied screws are to short.

Despite having an extensive collection of PC screws, I had nothing like these.
The threaded tips are just under 1.97mm in diameter and the unthreaded section is 1.41mm in diameter. The shaft overall is < 11mm in length.

The SSD thickness is 10.58mm and the heatsink 5.44mm. Allowing for 2mm to be screwed into the post, I reckon I need a screws with a shaft of between 18 and 19mm.

Where would I obtain such screws?

I have emailed eBuyer. I await their reply with uncontrollable excitement.

Watch this space.
(Always wanted to write that).

Alan

--
Linux Mint 21.1 kernel version 5.15.0-88-generic Cinnamon 5.6.8
AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU 16Gb Dram 2TB Barracuda

Re: [OT] New desktop (part 3)

<ujf0e7$7j6u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7138&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7138

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: [OT] New desktop (part 3)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 02:04:37 -0500
 by: Paul - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 07:04 UTC

On 11/19/2023 6:10 PM, pinnerite wrote:
> Having bought all the bits, next came assembly.
>
> The ASUS motherboard and Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB NVMe SSD both came from eBuyer.
>
> Imagine my frustration after I had removed the heat sink covering SSD's socket and fitted the SSD on the Asus Prime x670-P motherboard, I could not screw the heat sink down because the supplied screws are to short.
>
> Despite having an extensive collection of PC screws, I had nothing like these.
> The threaded tips are just under 1.97mm in diameter and the unthreaded section is 1.41mm in diameter. The shaft overall is < 11mm in length.
>
> The SSD thickness is 10.58mm and the heatsink 5.44mm. Allowing for 2mm to be screwed into the post, I reckon I need a screws with a shaft of between 18 and 19mm.
>
> Where would I obtain such screws?
>
> I have emailed eBuyer. I await their reply with uncontrollable excitement.
>
> Watch this space.
> (Always wanted to write that).
>
> Alan

The presenter here, changes out the mounting post
on the motherboard for some reason. Around 2:20 .
Mine only has one size of standoff and no additional ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXViO5KOIl0

The electrical connector, likely has some tolerance
if the PCB isn't sitting exactly in the plane, but I
would not push it too much. The thing "angles in" during
install and you flatten it (screw to standoff) to bring
the connector up to force. That means the electrical
connector was designed/positioned to allow a certain
amount of material below the datum (heatsink plate). You
might have to remove one of the standoffs, in case it
bumps against the bottom plate.

For the home audience, more pictures here. There is thermal tape
on the NVMe, to make contact with the metal. But it isn't clear to me,
how the four screws provide any normal force, so it just relies on the
adhesive on the tape I would guess.

Thermal tapes have a ten to one variance
in performance. There are shit tapes and good tapes. A tape could be
impregnated with boron nitride (ceramic particles) for thermal conduction,
plus "juice" as a mixture. And then the tape needs a "solid surface" for the
adhesive if present. At work, some of our tiniest heatsinks were held to
PCBs, purely via the tape. You can do that, up to a certain mass.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/kingston-fury-renegade-heatsink-2-tb/2.html

The tape can be quite expensive. Our thermal guy at work (thermal engineer),
he had a roll of the tape and it was $500.00 for the roll.

Paul

Re: [OT] New desktop (part 3)

<O_H6N.40862$Wzw6.24623@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7139&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7139

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.invalid (Nic)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 07:08:14 -0500
 by: Nic - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 12:08 UTC

On 11/19/23 6:10 PM, pinnerite wrote:
> Having bought all the bits, next came assembly.
>
> The ASUS motherboard and Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB NVMe SSD both came from eBuyer.
>
> Imagine my frustration after I had removed the heat sink covering SSD's socket and fitted the SSD on the Asus Prime x670-P motherboard, I could not screw the heat sink down because the supplied screws are to short.
>
> Despite having an extensive collection of PC screws, I had nothing like these.
> The threaded tips are just under 1.97mm in diameter and the unthreaded section is 1.41mm in diameter. The shaft overall is < 11mm in length.
>
> The SSD thickness is 10.58mm and the heatsink 5.44mm. Allowing for 2mm to be screwed into the post, I reckon I need a screws with a shaft of between 18 and 19mm.
>
> Where would I obtain such screws?
>
> I have emailed eBuyer. I await their reply with uncontrollable excitement.
>
> Watch this space.
> (Always wanted to write that).
>
> Alan

Check out https://www.mcmaster.com/

Re: [OT] New desktop (part 3)

<20231120142405.0308f18e31728ed160b10277@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7145&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7145

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 14:24:05 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 14:24 UTC

On Mon, 20 Nov 2023 02:04:37 -0500
Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

> On 11/19/2023 6:10 PM, pinnerite wrote:
> > Having bought all the bits, next came assembly.
> >
> > The ASUS motherboard and Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB NVMe SSD both came from eBuyer.
> >
> > Imagine my frustration after I had removed the heat sink covering SSD's socket and fitted the SSD on the Asus Prime x670-P motherboard, I could not screw the heat sink down because the supplied screws are to short.
> >
> > Despite having an extensive collection of PC screws, I had nothing like these.
> > The threaded tips are just under 1.97mm in diameter and the unthreaded section is 1.41mm in diameter. The shaft overall is < 11mm in length.
> >
> > The SSD thickness is 10.58mm and the heatsink 5.44mm. Allowing for 2mm to be screwed into the post, I reckon I need a screws with a shaft of between 18 and 19mm.
> >
> > Where would I obtain such screws?
> >
> > I have emailed eBuyer. I await their reply with uncontrollable excitement.
> >
> > Watch this space.
> > (Always wanted to write that).
> >
> > Alan
>
> The presenter here, changes out the mounting post
> on the motherboard for some reason. Around 2:20 .
> Mine only has one size of standoff and no additional ones.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXViO5KOIl0
>
> The electrical connector, likely has some tolerance
> if the PCB isn't sitting exactly in the plane, but I
> would not push it too much. The thing "angles in" during
> install and you flatten it (screw to standoff) to bring
> the connector up to force. That means the electrical
> connector was designed/positioned to allow a certain
> amount of material below the datum (heatsink plate). You
> might have to remove one of the standoffs, in case it
> bumps against the bottom plate.
>
> For the home audience, more pictures here. There is thermal tape
> on the NVMe, to make contact with the metal. But it isn't clear to me,
> how the four screws provide any normal force, so it just relies on the
> adhesive on the tape I would guess.
>
> Thermal tapes have a ten to one variance
> in performance. There are shit tapes and good tapes. A tape could be
> impregnated with boron nitride (ceramic particles) for thermal conduction,
> plus "juice" as a mixture. And then the tape needs a "solid surface" for the
> adhesive if present. At work, some of our tiniest heatsinks were held to
> PCBs, purely via the tape. You can do that, up to a certain mass.
>
> https://www.techpowerup.com/review/kingston-fury-renegade-heatsink-2-tb/2.html
>
> The tape can be quite expensive. Our thermal guy at work (thermal engineer),
> he had a roll of the tape and it was $500.00 for the roll.
>
> Paul

The motherboard came with two stand-off pillars and screws.
They don't fit anything on the motherboard!

I have found something on Amazon that might do the job.
They'll be delivered tomorrow.

Alan

--
Linux Mint 21.1 kernel version 5.15.0-88-generic Cinnamon 5.6.8
AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU 16Gb Dram 2TB Barracuda

Re: [OT] New desktop (part 3)

<ujga81$e7nb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7147&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7147

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 13:58:08 -0500
 by: Paul - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 18:58 UTC

On 11/20/2023 7:08 AM, Nic wrote:

> Check out https://www.mcmaster.com/

But these are computer screws. Is that their specialty ?

I would check my computer store here (as bad as it is),
as they do builds for enthusiasts and they have probably
had to deal with silly NVMes with huge heatsinks on top.

The one Alan got, is definitely not the biggest heatsink
ever placed on an NVMe. The ones for PCIe Rev5 are pretty
big, as is the power consumption to run at 12-14GB/sec.
The controller gets toasty doing that. It's almost getting
as bad as Optane, for power waste.

Paul

Re: [OT] New desktop (part 3)

<C3P6N.44697$Wzw6.21425@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7151&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7151

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.invalid (Nic)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 15:11:14 -0500
 by: Nic - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 20:11 UTC

On 11/20/23 1:58 PM, Paul wrote:
> On 11/20/2023 7:08 AM, Nic wrote:
>
>> Check out https://www.mcmaster.com/
> But these are computer screws. Is that their specialty ?
>
> I would check my computer store here (as bad as it is),
> as they do builds for enthusiasts and they have probably
> had to deal with silly NVMes with huge heatsinks on top.
>
> The one Alan got, is definitely not the biggest heatsink
> ever placed on an NVMe. The ones for PCIe Rev5 are pretty
> big, as is the power consumption to run at 12-14GB/sec.
> The controller gets toasty doing that. It's almost getting
> as bad as Optane, for power waste.
>
> Paul
Given the OP took measurements, the website has an awesome inventory,
well cataloged with specs on most items.

Re: [OT] New desktop (part 3)

<20231204192340.eb452b059e3e32bd37c7e66b@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7217&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7217

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 19:23:40 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 19:23 UTC

On Mon, 20 Nov 2023 14:24:05 +0000
pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Nov 2023 02:04:37 -0500
> Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
>
> > On 11/19/2023 6:10 PM, pinnerite wrote:
> > > Having bought all the bits, next came assembly.
> > >
> > > The ASUS motherboard and Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB NVMe SSD both came from eBuyer.
> > >
> > > Imagine my frustration after I had removed the heat sink covering SSD's socket and fitted the SSD on the Asus Prime x670-P motherboard, I could not screw the heat sink down because the supplied screws are to short.
> > >
> > > Despite having an extensive collection of PC screws, I had nothing like these.
> > > The threaded tips are just under 1.97mm in diameter and the unthreaded section is 1.41mm in diameter. The shaft overall is < 11mm in length.
> > >
> > > The SSD thickness is 10.58mm and the heatsink 5.44mm. Allowing for 2mm to be screwed into the post, I reckon I need a screws with a shaft of between 18 and 19mm.
> > >
> > > Where would I obtain such screws?
> > >
> > > I have emailed eBuyer. I await their reply with uncontrollable excitement.
> > >
> > > Watch this space.
> > > (Always wanted to write that).
> > >
> > > Alan
> >
> > The presenter here, changes out the mounting post
> > on the motherboard for some reason. Around 2:20 .
> > Mine only has one size of standoff and no additional ones.
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXViO5KOIl0
> >
> > The electrical connector, likely has some tolerance
> > if the PCB isn't sitting exactly in the plane, but I
> > would not push it too much. The thing "angles in" during
> > install and you flatten it (screw to standoff) to bring
> > the connector up to force. That means the electrical
> > connector was designed/positioned to allow a certain
> > amount of material below the datum (heatsink plate). You
> > might have to remove one of the standoffs, in case it
> > bumps against the bottom plate.
> >
> > For the home audience, more pictures here. There is thermal tape
> > on the NVMe, to make contact with the metal. But it isn't clear to me,
> > how the four screws provide any normal force, so it just relies on the
> > adhesive on the tape I would guess.
> >
> > Thermal tapes have a ten to one variance
> > in performance. There are shit tapes and good tapes. A tape could be
> > impregnated with boron nitride (ceramic particles) for thermal conduction,
> > plus "juice" as a mixture. And then the tape needs a "solid surface" for the
> > adhesive if present. At work, some of our tiniest heatsinks were held to
> > PCBs, purely via the tape. You can do that, up to a certain mass.
> >
> > https://www.techpowerup.com/review/kingston-fury-renegade-heatsink-2-tb/2.html
> >
> > The tape can be quite expensive. Our thermal guy at work (thermal engineer),
> > he had a roll of the tape and it was $500.00 for the roll.
> >
> > Paul
>
> The motherboard came with two stand-off pillars and screws.
> They don't fit anything on the motherboard!
>
> I have found something on Amazon that might do the job.
> They'll be delivered tomorrow.
>
> Alan

That didn't work either so I removed the bolts from the Asus motherboard supplied heatsink but the thread only goes part way up. I ended up using three or four fibre washers from my 80386 building days and that works.

Alan

--
Linux Mint 21.1 kernel version 5.15.0-89-generic Cinnamon 5.6.8
AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU 16Gb Dram 2TB Barracuda