Natural laws have no pity.

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Re: No such file or directory

SubjectAuthor
* No such file or directoryHandsome Jack
+* Re: No such file or directoryNic
|`* Re: No such file or directoryHandsome Jack
| `* Re: No such file or directoryKirk_Rockstein
|  `* Re: No such file or directoryHandsome Jack
|   +* Re: No such file or directoryChris Elvidge
|   |`* Re: No such file or directoryHandsome Jack
|   | `- Re: No such file or directoryChris Elvidge
|   `* Re: No such file or directoryKirk_Rockstein
|    `* Re: No such file or directoryHandsome Jack
|     +* Re: No such file or directoryDan Purgert
|     |+* Re: No such file or directoryNic
|     ||`* Re: No such file or directoryDan Purgert
|     || `* Re: No such file or directoryNic
|     ||  `* Re: No such file or directoryDan Purgert
|     ||   `* Re: No such file or directoryNic
|     ||    `- Re: No such file or directoryDan Purgert
|     |+* Re: No such file or directoryHandsome Jack
|     ||+- Re: No such file or directoryEnno Borgsteede
|     ||`- Re: No such file or directoryDan Purgert
|     |`* Re: No such file or directorywicklowham
|     | `* Re: No such file or directoryDan Purgert
|     |  `- Re: No such file or directoryPaul
|     `* Re: No such file or directoryKirk_Rockstein
|      `* Re: No such file or directoryPaul
|       `* Re: No such file or directoryNic
|        `- Re: No such file or directoryPaul
+* Re: No such file or directoryDan Purgert
|`- Re: No such file or directoryjjb
`- Re: No such file or directoryPaul

Pages:12
Re: No such file or directory

<ujfj9j$act9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7142&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7142

From: wicklowh...@rfburns.eu (wicklowham)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: No such file or directory
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 12:26:27 +0000
 by: wicklowham - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 12:26 UTC

On 19/11/2023 12:58, Dan Purgert wrote:
> On 2023-11-19, Handsome Jack wrote:
>> Kirk_Rockstein <Kirk_Rockstein@nowhere.invalid> wrote:

>>> <snip>

>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> If it is a NTFS partition/file-system you would use your Windows
>>> chkdsk program to check/repair the NTFS file system.
>>

>> Thanks, this seems to have solved it. Luckily I still have access to a
>> Windows machine into which I could plug this NTFS removable disk.
>>
>> What would I have done if I hadn't? Is there not an equivalent of
>> chkdsk that runs on Linux to fix NTFS disks?
>
> Not really, the linux equivalent just resets the NTFS dirty bit. Best
> to not use NTFS in a linux-only environment.

========================
External data disks I always format fat32 , although that limits any
file to (I believe) 4 GB In that case vfat might be the alternative.

Frank in County Wicklow -Ireland

Re: No such file or directory

<slrnulmp1v.370.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7143&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7143

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 13:49:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 13:49 UTC

On 2023-11-20, Nic wrote:
> On 11/19/23 7:51 PM, Dan Purgert wrote:
>> On 2023-11-19, Nic wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> So in my specific case, I have a primary ssd and a secondary spin drive
>>> 4TB (ntfs) where I store my data (videos,PDF,text files and image
>>> files.). In your opinion it would be better to format the secondary
>>> drive to ext.4.
>> Well, if it was never leaving a linux-only environment, that'd most
>> likely by my first action. But you do whatever you're comfortable with.
>>

> Yeah well, we all know about m$ invasive business model.

Yeah, but that's still not gonna change my "linux only" environment.
Unless Linux dies (in which case, I guess there's always *BSD)

--
|_|O|_|

Re: No such file or directory

<slrnulmp68.370.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7144&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7144

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 13:51:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 13:51 UTC

On 2023-11-20, wicklowham wrote:
> On 19/11/2023 12:58, Dan Purgert wrote:

>>> Thanks, this seems to have solved it. Luckily I still have access to a
>>> Windows machine into which I could plug this NTFS removable disk.
>>>
>>> What would I have done if I hadn't? Is there not an equivalent of
>>> chkdsk that runs on Linux to fix NTFS disks?
>>
>> Not really, the linux equivalent just resets the NTFS dirty bit. Best
>> to not use NTFS in a linux-only environment.
>>

>========================
> External data disks I always format fat32 , although that limits any
> file to (I believe) 4 GB In that case vfat might be the alternative.

It does -- exFAT is nice to get around that FAT32 limit. (vfat is, IIRC
the driver for all FAT types)

--
|_|O|_|

Re: No such file or directory

<ujg9su$e5rg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7146&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7146

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 13:52:13 -0500
 by: Paul - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 18:52 UTC

On 11/20/2023 7:19 AM, Nic wrote:

> re:If the power goes off in mid-session on NTFS, the next stop is Windows. Then CHKDSK or autochk will look into it for you.
>
> What happens if the filesystem is ext.4?
>
> When I do a 'properties' on my secondary ntfs driveD: I get 'fuse'

Linux seems to have health policies just like Windows.

You do not generally have to check modern filesystem health, because
the OSes have some degree of automation.

It is for cases, where you have a "suspicion" of damage,
that you manually run fsck or CHKDSK. Quite frequently, your
suspicion is justified.

For example, the OP has a missing file, and the problem
happened to be resolved after a CHKDSK.

One reason that operating systems have file system health code,
is to avoid what are called "latent faults". In past years,
you could have, say, one corrupted directory. Then, a second
corruption occurs "near-by", and the damage becomes a lot larger,
with potential for file loss. By examining structures at regular
intervals, the first corruption is detected and fixed, before
the second corruption happens. The amount of damage might be
smaller (or non-existent), depending on your luck.

The funny thing about the Windows improvements, is MSFT was proud
to make reference to them. Yet, they will not give technical details.
As a result, I cannot tell you what kind of background process
might be running. I need this information, to be able to estimate
how good that code is.

Windows has scheduled defragmentation runs (once a week), but these only work
if the storage device is "classified" properly. If you really really
need to defragment something, in an Admin window you run "defrag F: "
and traditional defragmentation will happen, even if the device is
a mounted virtual container or the device is an SSD/NVMe. I only
discovered that the other day, while getting "back-talk" from the
automation.

Paul

Re: No such file or directory

<ujh717$mb52$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7152&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7152

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 22:09:26 -0500
 by: Paul - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 03:09 UTC

On 11/20/2023 8:51 AM, Dan Purgert wrote:
> On 2023-11-20, wicklowham wrote:

>>> Not really, the linux equivalent just resets the NTFS dirty bit. Best
>>> to not use NTFS in a linux-only environment.
>>>

>> ========================
>> External data disks I always format fat32 , although that limits any
>> file to (I believe) 4 GB In that case vfat might be the alternative.
>
> It does -- exFAT is nice to get around that FAT32 limit. (vfat is, IIRC
> the driver for all FAT types)

FAT32 might be a good format, if you're moving the drive to other digital
devices in the house. Not everything will necessarily recognize ExFAT.

If you operate a compression/archive tool in "store" mode, there
may be an option to segment in 4G-1 segments, and that's how you
can automate the conversion of super-large-files onto a FAT32. FAT32
partitions go up to 2TB in size. Not doing compression, allows the
operation to progress at wire speed.

Paul