"Besides, I think [Slackware] sounds better than 'Microsoft,' don't you?" (By Patrick Volkerding)

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / rechargeable mouse

SubjectAuthor
* rechargeable mouseknuttle
+* Re: rechargeable mouseChar Jackson
|`- Re: rechargeable mouseponyface
+- Re: rechargeable mouseAndy Burns
+* Re: rechargeable mouseFrank Slootweg
|`* Re: rechargeable mouseFrank Slootweg
| `* Re: rechargeable mouseAndy Burns
|  `- Re: rechargeable mouseFrank Slootweg
+* Re: rechargeable mousejustaW
|`- Re: rechargeable mouseCarlos E.R.
+* Re: rechargeable mouseVanguardLH
|`* Re: rechargeable mouseknuttle
| +- Re: rechargeable mouseBig Al
| +- Re: rechargeable mouseChar Jackson
| +- Re: rechargeable mouseVanguardLH
| +* Re: rechargeable mousePaul
| |`* Re: rechargeable mouseknuttle
| | +- Re: rechargeable mouseVanguardLH
| | +- Re: rechargeable mousePaul
| | `- Re: rechargeable mouseHerbert Kleebauer
| +* Re: rechargeable mouseAndy Burns
| |`* Re: rechargeable mouseChris
| | `* Re: rechargeable mouse Investigationknuttle
| |  +* Re: rechargeable mouse InvestigationAndy Burns
| |  |`* Re: rechargeable mouse InvestigationChar Jackson
| |  | `* Re: rechargeable mouse InvestigationMark Lloyd
| |  |  +- Re: rechargeable mouse Investigationsticks
| |  |  `- Re: rechargeable mouse Investigationwasbit
| |  `- Re: rechargeable mouse InvestigationChris
| `* Re: rechargeable mouseR.Wieser
|  +* Re: rechargeable mouseCarlos E. R.
|  |`* Re: rechargeable mouseR.Wieser
|  | `- Re: rechargeable mouseCarlos E.R.
|  `* Re: rechargeable mouseKen Blake
|   +- Re: rechargeable mouseCarlos E.R.
|   `* Re: rechargeable mouseChris
|    `* Re: rechargeable mouseKen Blake
|     +* Re: rechargeable mouseCarlos E.R.
|     |`- Re: rechargeable mouseChris
|     `- Re: rechargeable mouseMark Lloyd
`* OT; rechargeable mousewasbit
 +* Re: OT; rechargeable mousePaul
 |`- Re: OT; rechargeable mouseAndy Burns
 +- Re: OT; rechargeable mouseAndy Burns
 +- Re: OT; rechargeable mousejustaW
 `* Re: OT; rechargeable mousewasbit
  +* Re: OT; rechargeable mouseAndy Burns
  |`- Re: OT; rechargeable mouseAndy Burns
  `- Re: OT; rechargeable mousewasbit

Pages:12
rechargeable mouse

<u69tgv$3k2as$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=71580&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#71580

From: keith_nu...@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: rechargeable mouse
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 10:12:47 -0400
 by: knuttle - Tue, 13 Jun 2023 14:12 UTC

I purchased a rechargeable mouse, and liked it a lot while it worked.
The battery had to be recharged about every week to 10 days, but since
it recharged tethered to the computer it was not an inconvenience.

However after using it for about 3 month the USB connector broke and I
could not recharge it.

Has any one found a good inexpensibe rechargeble mouse that the like.

Re: rechargeable mouse

<v70h8i9ku50g5s80bmebskqovuqbias9m8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=71582&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#71582

From: non...@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: rechargeable mouse
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 09:52:46 -0500
 by: Char Jackson - Tue, 13 Jun 2023 14:52 UTC

On Tue, 13 Jun 2023 10:12:47 -0400, knuttle <keith_nuttle@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I purchased a rechargeable mouse, and liked it a lot while it worked.
>The battery had to be recharged about every week to 10 days, but since
>it recharged tethered to the computer it was not an inconvenience.
>
>However after using it for about 3 month the USB connector broke and I
>could not recharge it.
>

>Has any one found a good inexpensibe rechargeble mouse that the like.

Not rechargeable, but I like the Logitech M705 cordless mouse. It can
use either one or two AA batteries, and in my experience, two batteries
give me a little over two years of use at about 10-14 hours a day on
most days. Logitech claims 3 years on two batteries, but I suspect
they've based that on a more reasonable usage model. The mouse has an
LED that glows red, well in advance, to warn you when the batteries are
getting low. I get at least 4-6 months of warning, plenty of time to
make sure I've got new batteries available.

Re: rechargeable mouse

<kerevuF17nmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=71584&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#71584

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 16:06:39 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 13 Jun 2023 15:06 UTC

knuttle wrote:

> Has any one found a good inexpensibe rechargeble mouse that the like.

When the rubber coating on my previous mouse went "gungy" I looked for
another with re-chargeable battery, but the one I bought uses a single
AA non-rechargeable and hasn't required a new battery so far since the
start of December ... Logi M650L ... which fits large hands quite well.

Re: rechargeable mouse

<u6aag0.vm4.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=71586&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#71586

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: 13 Jun 2023 15:54:16 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Tue, 13 Jun 2023 15:54 UTC

knuttle <keith_nuttle@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I purchased a rechargeable mouse, and liked it a lot while it worked.
> The battery had to be recharged about every week to 10 days, but since
> it recharged tethered to the computer it was not an inconvenience.
>
> However after using it for about 3 month the USB connector broke and I
> could not recharge it.
>

> Has any one found a good inexpensibe rechargeble mouse that the like.

As others also mentioned, a mouse with a non-rechargeable battery can
last very, very long.

Another datapoint: My wife's Logitech M220 (part of a MK295 Silent
Wireless (Keyboard and Mouse) Combo). Uses one AA battery which already
lasts for 10 months.

Re: rechargeable mouse

<u6ahj9.nac.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=71587&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#71587

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: 13 Jun 2023 17:55:29 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Tue, 13 Jun 2023 17:55 UTC

Earlier, I wrote:
> knuttle <keith_nuttle@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I purchased a rechargeable mouse, and liked it a lot while it worked.
> > The battery had to be recharged about every week to 10 days, but since
> > it recharged tethered to the computer it was not an inconvenience.
> >
> > However after using it for about 3 month the USB connector broke and I
> > could not recharge it.
> >

> > Has any one found a good inexpensibe rechargeble mouse that the like.
>
> As others also mentioned, a mouse with a non-rechargeable battery can
> last very, very long.
>
> Another datapoint: My wife's Logitech M220 (part of a MK295 Silent
> Wireless (Keyboard and Mouse) Combo). Uses one AA battery which already
> lasts for 10 months.

Oops, make that 18 months (and new glasses? [1]).

[1] My font shows a zero as an 'O' with a dot in the middle, which makes
it somewhat similar to an eight.

Re: rechargeable mouse

<kerpqkF2rcqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=71589&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#71589

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 19:11:33 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 13 Jun 2023 18:11 UTC

Frank Slootweg wrote:

> My font shows a zero as an 'O' with a dot in the middle, which makes
> it somewhat similar to an eight.

IBM 3270 fanboi?

Re: rechargeable mouse

<Lt2iM.5859$x7Q8.5665@fx06.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=71590&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#71590

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: jus...@noreply.com (justaW)
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 14:22:32 -0400
 by: justaW - Tue, 13 Jun 2023 18:22 UTC

On 13-Jun-23 10:12 AM, knuttle wrote:
> I purchased a rechargeable mouse, and liked it a lot while it worked.
> The battery had to be recharged about every week to 10 days, but since
> it recharged  tethered to the computer it was not an inconvenience.
>
> However after using it for about 3 month the USB connector broke and I
> could not recharge it.
>

> Has any one found a good inexpensibe rechargeble mouse that the like.
Regardless of what kind of wireless mouse, go with a rechargeable one,
or ideally, one that takes batteries. Nothing stopping you from using
rechargeable AA batteries.

Not related to mouses, but I've used an xbox 360 controller for PC
gaming since the 360 came out. I only had to buy a replacement
controller twice, after suffering from mechanical failure. Always used
energizer AA batteries rechargeable.

Though on the note of rechargeable batteries, I would avoid any ones
(even brand name duracell or energizer) that are 'fast charging'. I once
had a charger which had its own cooling fan. It could charge the
batteries up in ~half hour, but I always noticed that batteries that I
used with that charger didn't last as long as those which I only charged
with a slow charger.

Regardless, reusable batteries last longer and hold more charge than
dollar store no-name batteries. Would always use them when I can. You
save more in the long run imho rather than needing to buy a big bin of
cheap batteries.

Re: rechargeable mouse

<u6am9k.944.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=71592&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#71592

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: 13 Jun 2023 19:15:54 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Tue, 13 Jun 2023 19:15 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
> Frank Slootweg wrote:
>
> > My font shows a zero as an 'O' with a dot in the middle, which makes
> > it somewhat similar to an eight.
>
> IBM 3270 fanboi?

No, never used any IBM stuff.

I use a CUI (Character/'Console' UI) newsreader (tin) in a (Windows)
Command Prompt window [1] with the Font set to Raster Fonts. Don't ask
me why I set this font, because I probably set it two decades ago.

[1] With the Windows 11 'terminal application' set to 'Windows Console
Host', instead of the .. <barf> .. "modern Windows Terminal experience".

Re: rechargeable mouse

<vwut55jggdhe.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=71596&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#71596

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 15:25:06 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 13 Jun 2023 20:25 UTC

knuttle <keith_nuttle@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I purchased a rechargeable mouse, and liked it a lot while it worked.
> The battery had to be recharged about every week to 10 days, but since
> it recharged tethered to the computer it was not an inconvenience.
>
> However after using it for about 3 month the USB connector broke and I
> could not recharge it.
>
> Has any one found a good inexpensibe rechargeble mouse that the like.

Since your unidentified mouse is probably still under warranty after
just 3 months from purchase, and if it wasn't your rough handling that
broke the USB connector in the mouse (i.e., the USB connector was
defective), why not return it for a warranty replacement? Possibly you
could return the mouse to a local store to eliminate lag in getting a
replacement.

For the vast majority of breakage of USB ports, the cause is rough
handling by the user, especially after a short stint of just 3 months.
No matter which USB-connected mouse you get, seems like you'll be
breaking that one, too.

Perhaps you should get one with removable rechargeable batteries. Those
recharge in an external charger. Even when you later break the cover
plate over the battery compartment, you could use duct tape to keep the
batteries inside the mouse. Get a battery-powered mouse that uses
compressible metal contacts; else, you could end up breaking springs
holding the mice in the compartment, too.

The removable batteries don't need to be rechargeable. You could use
alkaline batteries to toss when they get used up to replace with new
ones. You can get a 48-pack of Energizer AA batteries for $25.94 (54
cents per battery) at Walmart. Lithiums of same brand and seller cost 4
times more. With alkalines, you can replace and immediately use the
mouse. With rechargeables, you'll have to wait until they charge which
means the mouse is out of commission, unless you get 2 sets of
rechargeables (one set in the mouse, one set already charged awaiting a
swap out). I gave up on recharging lithium batteries for cordless mice,
and went to much cheaper alkalines. Eventually I gave up on cordless
mice since they have longer latency than corded mice, and they don't go
flaky or die right when I'm doing something important. But then I use a
corded PS/2 mouse since PS/2 is interrupt driven instead of the polling
interval of USB connected receivers for cordless devices.

https://www.rtings.com/mouse/tests/control/latency

Excepting user abuse, why not get another of the same brand and type,
and return the current mouse for warranty replacement. You won't be
without a mouse, and when you get the replacement then you'll have 2
cordless mice. You won't need to connect the mouse to a USB port on
your computer, because you'll have a 2nd cordless mouse that has already
been charged while using the 1st cordless mouse. No battery swapping
(except eventually when the batteries die since they're chemical), and
no dealing with a cord to charge the mouse you're currently using.

As for suggestions on replacement mice, we would only know what YOU are
looking for if you actually identified which brand and model of cordless
mouse you are currently using. Someone suggesting a super-expensive
gamer mouse with umpteen buttons would likely be outside the criteria of
what you want in a cordless mouse, have a longer learning curve, and be
outside your budget. Some might suggest a trackball-style of mouse, so
the mouse doesn't move all around the desk or off a mouse pad; however,
I found non-captive trackballs to be too loose (they bounce in the
cradle under sudden direction change), and captive trackballs to have
too much friction (they won't keep spinning after you flick or snap the
ball). I detest trackpads, but some folks like them. Knowing what you
have now gives respondents some idea of what is YOUR criteria for a
mouse.

Re: rechargeable mouse

<u6an9j$3ne5s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=71597&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#71597

From: keith_nu...@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 17:32:34 -0400
 by: knuttle - Tue, 13 Jun 2023 21:32 UTC

On 06/13/2023 4:25 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
> [...]
>
> As for suggestions on replacement mice, we would only know what YOU are
> looking for if you actually identified which brand and model of cordless
> mouse you are currently using. Someone suggesting a super-expensive
> gamer mouse with umpteen buttons would likely be outside the criteria of
> what you want in a cordless mouse, have a longer learning curve, and be
> outside your budget. Some might suggest a trackball-style of mouse, so
> the mouse doesn't move all around the desk or off a mouse pad; however,
> I found non-captive trackballs to be too loose (they bounce in the
> cradle under sudden direction change), and captive trackballs to have
> too much friction (they won't keep spinning after you flick or snap the
> ball). I detest trackpads, but some folks like them. Knowing what you
> have now gives respondents some idea of what is YOUR criteria for a
OP: I am looking to a rechargeable, as my experience with battery
wireless mice is that the batteries constantly need replacement. Yes,
I know that batteries differ. But I have used brand name and the store
brand of batteries with the same results.

One of the things I like about a wireless mouse it there is not the
cord. I am not rough on my mice.

Re: rechargeable mouse

<u6ank3$3ng1n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=71598&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#71598

From: Big...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 17:38:11 -0400
 by: Big Al - Tue, 13 Jun 2023 21:38 UTC

On 6/13/2023 5:32 PM, knuttle wrote:
> [...]
>> outside your budget.  Some might suggest a trackball-style of mouse, so
>> the mouse doesn't move all around the desk or off a mouse pad; however,
>> I found non-captive trackballs to be too loose (they bounce in the
>> cradle under sudden direction change), and captive trackballs to have
>> too much friction (they won't keep spinning after you flick or snap the
>> ball).  I detest trackpads, but some folks like them.  Knowing what you
>> have now gives respondents some idea of what is YOUR criteria for a
>> mouse.
> OP:  I am looking to a rechargeable, as my experience with battery
> wireless mice is that the batteries constantly  need replacement.  Yes,
> I know that batteries differ.  But I have used brand name and the store
> brand of batteries with the same results.
>
> One of the things I like about a wireless mouse it there is not the
I have a logitech M330 and get a few months or so out of copper top
batteries.

Re: rechargeable mouse

<3arh8id2kb6vifnptg04568rp83ju91p7q@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=71599&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#71599

From: non...@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 17:28:37 -0500
 by: Char Jackson - Tue, 13 Jun 2023 22:28 UTC

On Tue, 13 Jun 2023 17:32:34 -0400, knuttle <keith_nuttle@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>OP: I am looking to a rechargeable, as my experience with battery
>wireless mice is that the batteries constantly need replacement. Yes,
>I know that batteries differ. But I have used brand name and the store
>brand of batteries with the same results.

I don't know, but I think changing batteries every 2+ years isn't a big
burden. YMMV.

Re: rechargeable mouse

<18oiycwgqx22v$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=71601&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#71601

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 20:17:08 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 01:17 UTC

knuttle <keith_nuttle@yahoo.com> wrote:

> OP: I am looking to a rechargeable, as my experience with battery
> wireless mice is that the batteries constantly need replacement. Yes,
> I know that batteries differ. But I have used brand name and the store
> brand of batteries with the same results.

Regardless of what type of connection technology is used (RF or
Bluetooth), there still has to be a battery inside the mouse to power
it. It's not like self-winding watches that wind up with movement.
Without you identifying the brand and model of mouse you have, there's
no way for anyone to determine what type of rechargeable battery is
inside that mouse (Lithium, NiMH, NiCad, rechargeable alkaline, etc).
Hard to believe that mouse maker has some magic elixir for electrolyte
that makes it internal non-serviceable battery last longer than any
replaceable rechargeable battery. I suspect you're neglecting to
account for how often you have to cord that cordless mouse to charge it.

How often were you cording your cordless mouse to your computer to
charge the mouse? That's probably how often you'd be swapping
batteries, too. So, you attach the USB cable to the mouse and computer,
and endure the hassle of a cord which is the reason you got rid of a
corded mouse. Or you could swap batteries (or even another cordless
mouse) to continue using a mouse without the hassle of being corded. If
I were using cordless mice, I wouldn't layout my work area to account
for use of a cord with resistance to move around, flex around objects,
get tangled, and so on. Why get a cordless mouse only to suffer
irregular periods when it has to be corded?

Yeah, I've used cordless mice (and ALL of them have some type of battery
inside since they cannot obtain power from a PS2 or USB port unless
connected for recharging), and have been disappointed in up-time. I
never get what others claim to get for up-time on a full charge, or what
the mouse maker claims. If I can go corded, that's my preference. No
dying or going flaky when I must use the mouse, no having to connect to
recharge, no having to swap batteries. But corded usually means a fixed
location for the computer, and unrestricted routing of the cord to avoid
resistance to movement of the cord. With tablets, notebooks, and
smartphones I don't use a mouse or keyboard. With laptops, yeah, I want
a mouse and notebook when there is someplace to use them alongside the
laptop. For desktops, cordless devices are a nuisance.

If you identify your brand and model of mouse, others can suggest
similar mice as alternatives if you're intent on getting something else.
Knowing what you have gives others an idea of your criteria for choosing
a mouse, or you could delineate your criteria here. Whether I consider
it a good choice for myself, I could, for example, suggest:

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/products/mice/mx-vertical-ergonomic-mouse.910-005447.html

However, that's a right-handed mouse, and you don't identify if you want
a left-handed or ambidextrous mouse. We don't know shape you want, or
how big is the hand grip (portable mice tend to be too small to make
them more easily fit in a laptop bag), or if you want more than a
3-button mouse, or you want a trackball mouse (big roller either
non-captive or captive style), or ... and the list of criteria goes on.
Sorry, but there is no favorite amongst all potential respondents to
your query that would satisfy what YOU want in a pointing device. Your
request is nebulous.

> One of the things I like about a wireless mouse it there is not the
> cord. I am not rough on my mice.

But you are obviating the advantage of cordless when you have to go
corded to charge the internal battery in the mouse. Eventually that
internal battery will die. Batteries are chemical, so they are not
eternal. You'll end up trashing that mouse when its internal battery
will no longer take a charge, or its capacity has waned so much over the
years that the mouse become unusable, and you'll have to buy whatever is
available at that time. With replaceable rechargeable batteries, you
can always buy new ones later when the internal battery goes bad. Plus
you can have a charged set ready to swap into the mouse rather than
suffer the cord which is why you got a cordless mouse. Sorry, I don't
believe rechargeable batteries are going to need charging more often
than that internal battery in your mouse. Cord the cordless mouse to
charge, or swap in a set of already charged batteries. You lose or
break that charging cord, but you can easily acquire new batteries.

Why not look into getting a warranty replacement? If you liked that
mouse, why not buy another? Then when you get the warranty replacement,
you'll have 2 of them: 1 currently inuse on the computer, the other
sitting in standby already charged to swap the mice. Or is the breakage
an excuse to getting a new and different mouse which is really what you
wanted, anyway?

If you bought at a stone-and-brick store, you might be able to return it
to get another, or get a credit to buy a different one.

Re: rechargeable mouse

<u6b550$3p3eq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=71602&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#71602

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 21:29:04 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 01:29 UTC

On 6/13/2023 5:32 PM, knuttle wrote:
> On 06/13/2023 4:25 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
>> knuttle <keith_nuttle@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I purchased a rechargeable mouse

> OP:  I am looking to a rechargeable, as my experience with battery wireless mice is that the batteries constantly  need replacement.  Yes, I know that batteries differ.  But I have used brand name and the store brand of batteries with the same results.
>
> One of the things I like about a wireless mouse it there is not the cord.  I am not rough on my mice.

What is the make and model of the mouse ?

Paul

Re: rechargeable mouse

<u6b7o7$3t2br$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=71603&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#71603

From: keith_nu...@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 22:13:26 -0400
 by: knuttle - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 02:13 UTC

On 06/13/2023 9:29 PM, Paul wrote:
> On 6/13/2023 5:32 PM, knuttle wrote:

>> OP:  I am looking to a rechargeable, as my experience with battery
>> wireless mice is that the batteries constantly  need replacement.
>> Yes, I know that batteries differ.  But I have used brand name and the
>> store brand of batteries with the same results.
>>
>> One of the things I like about a wireless mouse it there is not the
>> cord.  I am not rough on my mice.
>
> What is the make and model of the mouse ?
>
>    Paul

SABRENT 2.4GHz Rechargeable Wireless Mouse
I think I will continue to use my old faithful tailed mouse and fight
the cord to my laptop.

Re: rechargeable mouse

<1u8vpvrxb98pm$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=71604&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#71604

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 22:31:59 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 03:31 UTC

knuttle <keith_nuttle@yahoo.com> wrote:

> SABRENT 2.4GHz Rechargeable Wireless Mouse

Without a model number, several matches are found at Google Shopping.

https://www.google.com/search?output=search&tbm=shop&q=SABRENT%202.4GHz%20Rechargeable%20Wireless%20Mouse

Price varies a lot by model, and by seller. My guess is your model
sells for about $14. A search at eBay has the WH315 model selling for
under $7, without a price change based on color selection, and includes
free shipping. That's damn cheap. Sabrent's pricing for rechargeable
models is $12 to $15 (https://sabrent.com/collections/mice). Their
MS-RCWM has a 1-year warranty, longer than the 3 months when yours
broke, and 2 years if you register the device (use an e-mail alias to
prevent getting spammed).

Some Sabrent models at eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=SABRENT+2.4GHz+Rechargeable+Wireless+Mouse&_sacat=0

Sabrent looks to have long warranties, like 2 to 5 years:
https://sabrent.com/pages/warranty-policy

Just remember when packing the sometimes-corded mouse to NOT have the
cord plugged into the USB port on the mouse when packed. A little bit
of flex in the laptop bag could result in bending the USB connection too
far and break the connection to an internal PCB onto which the USB port
is soldered.

https://sabrent.com/pages/support#Warranty
Click on "Claim Your Warranty"

Looks like they pay the postage to send you a replacement, but likely
you have to pay the postage to send them the defective product (if they
require it be returned to them). By then, you might as buy another at
$14 than waste time with a warranty.

For the cheap price of the Sabrent rechargeable models, I'd ignore the
warranty, and just buy another. Actually, since the battery is not user
servicable nor takes batteries, I'd buy 2 to have a spare on hand and
already charged when the current one is discharged, or when its
non-replaceable battery dies or wanes too much causing overly short
up-time per charge.

The internal battery is only 600 mAH. You can get a batteried cordless
mouse, and use lithium batteries with easily 5 times that capacity. If
you don't get a 2nd mouse (internal battery) to swap when the current
one is low, you can get a charger for the lithium batteries that plugs
into any A/C outlet instead of cording the cordless mouse to a computer
(whose USB port is still powered when the computer is shutdown).

If you're not looking for a mouse with more features, like more buttons,
then there are several 3-button cordless mice from which to choose.

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100160864%20600009613%204814%208000%20600009582%20600009585%20601303858%20600009584
(Newegg doesn't carry every matching product.)
(Watch the shipping cost.)

A lot depends on the size of your palm for what mouse is comfortable for
prolonged use, and if you want left-, right-, or ambidextrous shape.
One of the Sabrent rechargeable models is ambidexterous, and the other
is right-handed.

Re: rechargeable mouse

<ket7v6Fb0p5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=71608&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#71608

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 08:19:02 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 07:19 UTC

knuttle wrote:

> my experience with battery wireless mice is that the batteries
> constantly  need replacement.

That has VASTLY improved for newer mice, at least from Logitech, mine
says 55% remaining after 7 months on a single alkaline AA

You've had several people say they have battery life in months to years,
rather than days to weeks.

Re: rechargeable mouse

<u6c7vk$kg5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=71610&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#71610

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 07:23:31 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 11:23 UTC

On 6/13/2023 10:13 PM, knuttle wrote:
> On 06/13/2023 9:29 PM, Paul wrote:

>>> OP:  I am looking to a rechargeable, as my experience with battery wireless mice is that the batteries constantly  need replacement. Yes, I know that batteries differ.  But I have used brand name and the store brand of batteries with the same results.
>>>
>>> One of the things I like about a wireless mouse it there is not the cord.  I am not rough on my mice.
>>
>> What is the make and model of the mouse ?
>>
>>     Paul
>>
> SABRENT 2.4GHz Rechargeable Wireless Mouse
>
> I think I will continue to use my old faithful tailed mouse and fight the cord to my laptop.

I ran your description through Google, and this was the closest match.

It looks like it uses a microUSB charge port.

https://www.amazon.com/SABRENT-Rechargeable-Adjustable-Resolution-MS-RCWM/dp/B07P5JMW4F

I could not find a take-apart, to see whether it is fastened
properly to the printed circuit board. Still, an amazing product
at the price (the fact it's rechargeable, and comes with nano-transmitter).

To recharge it, it's not high speed USB or anything. All you
really need, is to pick up the red and black wires near the
connector, inside the mouse, and hook those to +5V on a PC.

Or for that matter, if you have a wall adapter with the multi-voltage
slider option, those can be switch selected anywhere from about 4.5V to 12V,
and there would be a 5V setting on one of those. The advantage of a wall adapter,
is there is a current limit and it shuts off if you overload the wall adapter.

The battery terminals on one of my TV remotes, got coated in
battery goo, ruining it. And that remote still works today...
because it runs off a 3V wall adapter :-) "Don't get mad... get even."
Just because a device has fragile supply electricals, is
no reason to throw it out.

If you have no further plans for the mouse, you can take it
apart for a look. If no screw is evident, use a magnet and
sweep over the "feet" to see if a recessed screw is under there.
Practices have changed in the industry, regarding screws-under-feet,
but it's still possible a manufacturer will copy the old way of
doing it. The mouse has magnets of its own, which hold the nano
transmitter in its bay. And your sweeper magnet, may pick up too
much field from those, to be able to identify screws-under-feet.

Some mice have a break-away decal over the screw. The decal
may have lettering on it, or a logo or such, but if you look
carefully, there is an X cut in it, hinting that jamming
a Philips screwdriver through the "X" will contact the screw,
and the screw can then be removed.

Do i keep electricals for a long time ? You betcha. My
electric lawn mower is now 32 years old :-) It looks
like Edison designed it.

Paul

Re: rechargeable mouse

<uhloljxgtu.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=71611&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#71611

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 13:40:14 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 11:40 UTC

On 2023-06-13 20:22, justaW wrote:
> On 13-Jun-23 10:12 AM, knuttle wrote:
>> I purchased a rechargeable mouse, and liked it a lot while it worked.
>> The battery had to be recharged about every week to 10 days, but since
>> it recharged  tethered to the computer it was not an inconvenience.
>>
>> However after using it for about 3 month the USB connector broke and I
>> could not recharge it.
>>

>> Has any one found a good inexpensibe rechargeble mouse that the like.
> Regardless of what kind of wireless mouse, go with a rechargeable one,
> or ideally, one that takes batteries. Nothing stopping you from using
> rechargeable AA batteries.

Huh.

If I use rechargeable batteries on my wireless keyboard, it reports low
battery, because the voltage is significantly lower. 55% charge, it says
today, but it works. A Logitech K400 Plus.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: rechargeable mouse

<u6ck0d$1vda$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=71613&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#71613

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 14:48:45 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:7zt5IfEXmSkCViBaxLVW9ECIX/4=
 by: Chris - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 14:48 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
> knuttle wrote:
>
>> my experience with battery wireless mice is that the batteries
>> constantly  need replacement.
>
> That has VASTLY improved for newer mice, at least from Logitech, mine
> says 55% remaining after 7 months on a single alkaline AA

Same with all my logitech mice. The single AA lasts 12-18 months.

> You've had several people say they have battery life in months to years,
> rather than days to weeks.

I suspect this is mouse quality issue. A high quality one will attempt to
reduce battery usage as much as possible to improve the user experience.

Re: rechargeable mouse

<u6cl3i$240l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=71614&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#71614

From: addr...@is.invalid (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 17:07:07 +0200
 by: R.Wieser - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 15:07 UTC

Knuttle,

> OP: I am looking to a rechargeable, as my experience with battery
> wireless mice is that the batteries constantly need replacement.

My experiences today are in par with the others here : only once in quite a
number of months I need to replace them.

One thing to recon with though : if you take a wireless mouse with you (with
the laptop) than don't forget to switch it off. Movement will keep waking
it up and than try to get its bearings. Which costs more energy than just
usage.

> One of the things I like about a wireless mouse it there is not the cord.
> I am not rough on my mice.

Not having a cord means that its easier to lose, either literally, or by
just misplacing it somewhere (the shoe in the fridge comes to mind).

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: rechargeable mouse

<keu9ruFedoqU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=71617&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#71617

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 18:57:34 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 16:57 UTC

On 2023-06-14 17:07, R.Wieser wrote:

>> One of the things I like about a wireless mouse it there is not the cord.
>> I am not rough on my mice.
>
> Not having a cord means that its easier to lose, either literally, or by
> just misplacing it somewhere (the shoe in the fridge comes to mind).

WHAT?

I had to look that one up :-D

<https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-e&q=what%27s+the+shoe+in+the+fridge%3F>

<https://www.reddit.com/r/NoStupidQuestions/comments/8ipbaa/why_do_americans_store_their_shoes_in_the_fridge/>

<https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-purpose-of-putting-shoes-in-the-freezer>

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: rechargeable mouse Investigation

<u6d04d$39oq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=71624&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#71624

From: keith_nu...@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: rechargeable mouse Investigation
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 14:15:40 -0400
 by: knuttle - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 18:15 UTC

On 06/14/2023 10:48 AM, Chris wrote:
> Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
>> knuttle wrote:
>>
>>> my experience with battery wireless mice is that the batteries
>>> constantly  need replacement.
>>
>> That has VASTLY improved for newer mice, at least from Logitech, mine
>> says 55% remaining after 7 months on a single alkaline AA
>
> Same with all my logitech mice. The single AA lasts 12-18 months.
>
>> You've had several people say they have battery life in months to years,
>> rather than days to weeks.
>
> I suspect this is mouse quality issue. A high quality one will attempt to
> reduce battery usage as much as possible to improve the user experience.
What are people with long mouse battery life doing with their computers,
vs what people with short computer battery life are doing.
I do a lot of research with my mouse, scrolling up and down pages of
hits, opening and closing URL, etc.
I also read a lot of books as part of my research, and do what my first
grade teacher said I should not, use my finger (mouse cursor) to track
where I am reading on the page.
I also do a lot of date entry and other types of spreadsheet work and a
lot of writing in a word processors.
These task are full time and I may be on the computer 8 or 10 hours per day.
-------------------------------
The average mouse battery last 2 to 3 weeks before it has to be
replaced. I use AA Duracell, Eveready alkaline batteries, I have also
use house brands, with the same results as Duracell and Eveready.
Think I may extend the life I have use Lithium batteries with marginally
better results.

Re: rechargeable mouse

<u6d0be$3bo8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=71625&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#71625

From: addr...@is.invalid (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 20:19:10 +0200
 by: R.Wieser - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 18:19 UTC

Carlos,

> the shoe in the fridge comes to mind.
>
> WHAT?
>
> I had to look that one up :-D
>
> <https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-e&q=what%27s+the+shoe+in+the+fridge%3F>

Not quite what I ment (and would have used "phone, glasses, housekeys"
instead if I had know that).

Its about to people who go grab a drink or food from the fridge while being
in deep thought, and as they have their hands full with something they
absendmindedly put that in the fridge so they have their hand(s) free to
grab the other thing.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: rechargeable mouse Investigation

<keugcpFh2hpU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=71627&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#71627

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 19:48:57 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 18:48 UTC

knuttle wrote:

> What are people with long mouse battery life doing with their computers,

everything ... I hate using touchpads, I connect via bluetooth, all my
non-work web browsing, email/usenet happens on this machine.

> The average mouse battery last 2 to 3 weeks before it has to be
> replaced.  I use AA Duracell, Eveready alkaline batteries

I suppose you'll never know unless you buy one of the mice people have
been recommending ...