<chesty> xemacs fixed my flatulence -- From the "XEmacs: Not just an editor" department

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Re: May the Fourth Be With You

SubjectAuthor
* May the Fourth Be With YouSpalls Hurgenson
+- Re: May the Fourth Be With YouAnt
+* Re: May the Fourth Be With Yourms
|+- Re: May the Fourth Be With YouJAB
|`- Re: May the Fourth Be With YouSpalls Hurgenson
+- Re: May the Fourth Be With YouPW
+* Re: May the Fourth Be With YouMike S.
|`* Re: May the Fourth Be With YouPW
| `* Re: May the Fourth Be With YouAnt
|  `- Re: May the Fourth Be With YouSpalls Hurgenson
`* Re: May the Fourth Be With YouJustisaur
 `* Re: May the Fourth Be With YouSpalls Hurgenson
  `* Re: May the Fourth Be With YouJustisaur
   +* Re: May the Fourth Be With Yourms
   |`- Re: May the Fourth Be With YouSpalls Hurgenson
   `* Re: May the Fourth Be With YouRoss Ridge
    `* Re: May the Fourth Be With YouJustisaur
     `* Re: May the Fourth Be With YouSpalls Hurgenson
      +* Re: May the Fourth Be With YouJAB
      |`* Re: May the Fourth Be With YouDimensional Traveler
      | `- Re: May the Fourth Be With YouJAB
      `- Re: May the Fourth Be With YouDimensional Traveler

1
May the Fourth Be With You

<41j57hlq7br7i2fgpdhe7pk7i9nvn566hf@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7142&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7142

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: May the Fourth Be With You
Date: Wed, 04 May 2022 15:56:36 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Wed, 4 May 2022 19:56 UTC

Well, it's National Star Wars Day again, that day when we honor the
heroic veterans who fought against the Evil Empire to bring freedom to
the galaxy. Its hard to imagine that epic struggle took place 45 years
ago; we must never forget the sacrifice made by all those young men,
women, and three-eyed slugs in defense of the freedoms and laser
swords that the vile Men-With-Vaguely-British-Accents wanted to take
away from us.

Anyway, I've decided to celebrate by playing some "Dark Forces". The
original one, back before everybody turned out to be a Jedi. I didn't
play it to completion; just enough to remind me of those valorous
times. Because, for all the technicolor explosions and dismemberments,
those were the good times... before the reign of the Mouse and their
champion Mary-Sue darkened the galaxy again.

"Dark Forces" remains a solid title, but its age works against it. Its
graphics are passable, if blocky, but the controls are almost painful
to use. No mouselook, no easy strafe and a very imprecise aim... its a
game where hitting a target is a struggle and accidental falls off
obvious levels are too frequent an occurrence. My fingers cramp just
remembering all the hours I spent on this game.

The level design is a mixed bag. On the one hand, it's a welcome
improvement from the very stylized mazes of Doom and its clones; you
really get the feeling of 'being there' in the Star Wars universe,
even if the actual implementation is rather crude. Maybe the bits
aboard the Star Destroyer don't really look all that much like a Star
Destroyer - at least not without quite a bit of squinting and
imagination - but at least you could figure out what the map-designers
were trying to portray. Some of the levels were quite clever too, the
best being the one where you break into an Imperial prison.

On the other hand, "Dark Forces" was very much an early-90s fps, with
the de rigueur labyrinths and key-cards and leaps over instant-death
chasms. It even used the tired trope of slippery-surfaced ice-worlds.
The map designers were sometimes a bit too satisfied with their
cleverness, and some levels - like the Anoat sewers - overstayed their
welcome. Running through the same bits over and over to find or unlock
the hidden door that let you progress to the next part of the map
wasn't fun, not even in the 90s.

The gunplay - despite the horrid controls - remains quite satisfying.
The weapon selection honors the pattern set down by Id software in
Doom, but adds a few nice twists. I'm particularly fond of the
Concussion Rifle, a weapon as deadly to the user as to his enemies. It
has an wonderfully pleasing sound-effect and entertainingly bounces
enemies (and landmines) across the room; what's not to like?

The story is simplistic and to the point, with archetypical characters
of good and evil. There's no attempt at shades of grey here. The
Empire is on the side of evil, you're the good guy; let the firefights
commence. There is a good progression in enemies; you start facing off
against the lowly Stormtroopers and Imperial officers, and by the end
you're facing off against Type 3 Darktroopers, Krayt Dragons, and Boba
Fett.

The whole game is an extremely polished affair, and the few areas that
rub me raw are more because my expectations have changed (then again,
I don't think I /ever/ enjoyed instant-death pits, so even back in '95
that part sucked). Still, 27 years on, the original "Dark Forces"
remains one of the best Star Wars games ever published, and revisiting
its intricate levels - even for just a bit - is a great way to
celebrate the 'holiday.'

Re: May the Fourth Be With You

<25WdnQt6Q4U1l-7_nZ2dnUU7-a2dnZ2d@earthlink.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7144&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7144

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Subject: Re: May the Fourth Be With You
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 04 May 2022 18:22:16 -0500
 by: Ant - Wed, 4 May 2022 23:22 UTC

DF was awesome back then. Check out
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoBi3ajSQ6F3Zad3od30HtQ for the Unreal
Engine project.

--
It is Teacher Appreciation Day and May the 4th eve! New month is quiet so far like last month.
| |o o| |

Re: May the Fourth Be With You

<t4vabs$mqn$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7147&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7147

From: rsquires...@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 19:47:38 -0600
 by: rms - Thu, 5 May 2022 01:47 UTC

>The whole game is an extremely polished affair

Great to hear! I've probably said this before, but I've only played
Republic Commando, which I did enjoy; just hearing the theme music was nice.
I keep hearing how good the KOTR games are, I'd like to play those

rms

Re: May the Fourth Be With You

<imi67h97cbu25ikpm4jetqq8f2bhb3qbfb@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7148&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7148

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 04 May 2022 22:03:18 -0600
 by: PW - Thu, 5 May 2022 04:03 UTC

I wonder if I have that one in GOG or Steam. I liked it a lot when it
came out. But like you said, it is dated.

But I do have Star Wars Squadron which works seemingly with my
Logitect controller (I forget which one). All buttons mapped and I
can twist it.

And Fallen Order and Battlefront II installed on Steam. And a bunch
of others on both.

I have been getting the emails for Humble and GOG. I think I am all
set. But no Legos!!

-pw

On Wed, 04 May 2022 15:56:36 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson

Re: May the Fourth Be With You

<t501ma$scu$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7150&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7150

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 09:25:43 +0100
 by: JAB - Thu, 5 May 2022 08:25 UTC

On 05/05/2022 02:47, rms wrote:
>> The whole game is an extremely polished affair
>
>   Great to hear!  I've probably said this before, but I've only played
> Republic Commando, which I did enjoy; just hearing the theme music was
> nice. I keep hearing how good the KOTR games are, I'd like to play those

I have played one of the KOTR games and thought it was ok. The problem
though I'm not a particular fan of Star Wars and I've never quite
understood why the film franchise is so successful. It's not that I
think they're bad films but instead they just don't really grab me.

Re: May the Fourth Be With You

<uck77hp147qc855n89dte0dkkm0j15ssmf@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7152&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7152

From: Mik...@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 05 May 2022 09:33:14 -0400
 by: Mike S. - Thu, 5 May 2022 13:33 UTC

On Wed, 04 May 2022 15:56:36 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>Anyway, I've decided to celebrate by playing some "Dark Forces"

I may me remembering it incorrectly, but what I do remember is
overlong levels and no way to save during said level which annoyed me.

Re: May the Fourth Be With You

<2pn77h1e42ecvo55echeltbnkm4i6248vk@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7153&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7153

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 05 May 2022 10:35:28 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Thu, 5 May 2022 14:35 UTC

On Wed, 4 May 2022 19:47:38 -0600, "rms" <rsquiresMOO@MOOflashMOO.net>
wrote:

>>The whole game is an extremely polished affair

> Great to hear! I've probably said this before, but I've only played
>Republic Commando, which I did enjoy; just hearing the theme music was nice.
>I keep hearing how good the KOTR games are, I'd like to play those

I wasn't the biggest fan of Republic Commando. Between the spongy
enemies, the too narrow field-of-view, and the gimmick squad commands,
it failed to grab me in any way. But a lot of people liked it.

The "Knights of the Old Republic" games, on the other hand, were a
blast when they were new... but I'm not sure they hold up so well
today. Aging graphics aside, the game is exceptionally linear and its
formula has been so over-used in other Bioware games that it's past
trope, past cliché ... it's just tired and dull. Throw in some clunky
combat and some annoying mini-games and its hard to recommend to any
but the most devoted Star Wars fans. On the other hand, it does have a
solid story and a great sense of being part of Star Wars history. So
you take the good with the bad.

Re: May the Fourth Be With You

<d424a0de-3f63-4019-9265-912e687d3e21n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7157&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7157

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 08:07:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Thu, 5 May 2022 15:07 UTC

On Wednesday, May 4, 2022 at 12:56:49 PM UTC-7, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> Well, it's National Star Wars Day again, that day when we honor the
> heroic veterans who fought against the Evil Empire to bring freedom to
> the galaxy. Its hard to imagine that epic struggle took place 45 years
> ago; we must never forget the sacrifice made by all those young men,
> women, and three-eyed slugs in defense of the freedoms and laser
> swords that the vile Men-With-Vaguely-British-Accents wanted to take
> away from us.
>
> Anyway, I've decided to celebrate by playing some "Dark Forces". The
> original one, back before everybody turned out to be a Jedi. I didn't
> play it to completion; just enough to remind me of those valorous
> times. Because, for all the technicolor explosions and dismemberments,
> those were the good times... before the reign of the Mouse and their
> champion Mary-Sue darkened the galaxy again.

I think I played a little bit of that about a year ago, it was alright as I
remember, and I had intended to get back to it, but haven't been in the
mood for an FPS that old.

I didn't do anything SW related yesterday, kind of sad as I was such
a big fan when a youngster. Though we didn't have much money so
I didn't really have much in the way of merch and I think only saw it
in the theater twice. I still have a stack of star wars cards that
came in some bubble gum, and a the cassete tape of the movie I
listened to so much I'm surprised it didn't break.

- Justisaur

Re: May the Fourth Be With You

<1it77h1re2hpgibfb5ssq1ii0osip85pvh@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7162&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7162

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 05 May 2022 12:09:56 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Thu, 5 May 2022 16:09 UTC

On Thu, 5 May 2022 08:07:24 -0700 (PDT), Justisaur
<justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Wednesday, May 4, 2022 at 12:56:49 PM UTC-7, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

> I still have a stack of star wars cards that
>came in some bubble gum, and a the cassete tape of the movie I
>listened to so much I'm surprised it didn't break.

This one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl3cG50eOp8

Re: May the Fourth Be With You

<064c169f-d21d-4145-8a37-5fa1fc6455aan@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7172&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7172

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 07:01:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Fri, 6 May 2022 14:01 UTC

On Thursday, May 5, 2022 at 9:10:11 AM UTC-7, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Thu, 5 May 2022 08:07:24 -0700 (PDT), Justisaur
> <just...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Wednesday, May 4, 2022 at 12:56:49 PM UTC-7, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>
> > I still have a stack of star wars cards that
> >came in some bubble gum, and a the cassete tape of the movie I
> >listened to so much I'm surprised it didn't break.
> This one?
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl3cG50eOp8

Lol, no. It's an odd one - it's (nearly?) the full sound track of the movie with all the
dialog. Like putting the video tape of the movie on, but your TV picture is broken.

I can't actually find it online, which makes me wonder if it might be valuable.
It's currently in a box in my garage somewhere, the only cassette tape I couldn't
bear to throw out. I don't think I have the cassette box & sleeve any more though.

- Justisaur

Re: May the Fourth Be With You

<t542dd$33n$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7174&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7174

From: rsquires...@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 15:02:35 -0600
 by: rms - Fri, 6 May 2022 21:02 UTC

>Lol, no. It's an odd one - it's (nearly?) the full sound track of the
>movie with all the
>dialog. Like putting the video tape of the movie on, but your TV picture
>is broken.

Didn't BBC or someone do a full radio dramatization?

rms

Re: May the Fourth Be With You

<q87e7hle6ji43l58jvbkajavseisj6dgns@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7178&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7178

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 07 May 2022 21:42:08 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Sun, 8 May 2022 01:42 UTC

On Fri, 6 May 2022 15:02:35 -0600, "rms" <rsquiresMOO@MOOflashMOO.net>
wrote:

>>Lol, no. It's an odd one - it's (nearly?) the full sound track of the
>>movie with all the
>>dialog. Like putting the video tape of the movie on, but your TV picture
>>is broken.

> Didn't BBC or someone do a full radio dramatization?

NPR - the National Public Radio, an American non-profit - usually is
credited as the creator, although apparentlyit was co-produced with
the BBC, so I guess you could credit either one.

It was fairly impressive, since it featured a several of the original
cast (in particular, Mark "Luke Skywalker" Hamill and Anthony "C3PO"
Daniels).

I recall catching only a handful of the episodes, and being both
disappointed by it, and also upset that I never got to hear the full
thing ("The food is awful... and such small portions too!"). Media -
whether TV, radio, written, or film - was so much more ephemeral back
then; if you didn't see/read/listen to it when it first came out, odds
were high you'd never get the chance again.

Later, of course, I bought the tapes. I never really warmed up to it -
radio-dramas (and audio-books in general) never connect with me the
same way as stuff I read or watch. But at least I got to hear the
whole thing finally.

Since Justisaur specified a single cassette (the radio drama was...
four tapes, I think?) I assumed it had to be something different.

Re: May the Fourth Be With You

<l1ie7hlvjhjth2qegp9hmf2dhvfeanp62b@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7179&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7179

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 07 May 2022 22:34:40 -0600
 by: PW - Sun, 8 May 2022 04:34 UTC

On Thu, 05 May 2022 09:33:14 -0400, Mike S. <Mike_S@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>On Wed, 04 May 2022 15:56:36 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
><spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Anyway, I've decided to celebrate by playing some "Dark Forces"
>
>I may me remembering it incorrectly, but what I do remember is
>overlong levels and no way to save during said level which annoyed me.

*--

I think I quit playing it because it turned into a jumping game for
me, which I hate.

-pw

Re: May the Fourth Be With You

<9u2dnYiazIxSxOr_nZ2dnUU7-e3NnZ2d@earthlink.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7180&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7180

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 08 May 2022 00:49:03 -0500
 by: Ant - Sun, 8 May 2022 05:49 UTC

PW <iamnotusingonewithAgent@notinuse.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 05 May 2022 09:33:14 -0400, Mike S. <Mike_S@nowhere.com>
> wrote:

> >On Wed, 04 May 2022 15:56:36 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
> ><spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >>Anyway, I've decided to celebrate by playing some "Dark Forces"
> >
> >I may me remembering it incorrectly, but what I do remember is
> >overlong levels and no way to save during said level which annoyed me.

> *--

> I think I quit playing it because it turned into a jumping game for
> me, which I hate.

> -pw

It wasn't that bad. I do remember its annoying breaking into security
puzzle part. Argh.

--
Happy Mother's Day and that includes the queen ants!
| |o o| |

Re: May the Fourth Be With You

<t591c9$ggh$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7185&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7185

From: rri...@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Ross Ridge)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 18:15:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ross Ridge - Sun, 8 May 2022 18:15 UTC

Justisaur <justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:
>Lol, no. It's an odd one - it's (nearly?) the full sound track of the
>movie with all the dialog. Like putting the video tape of the movie on,
>but your TV picture is broken.

I had, what I assume was the same recording, but on an LP record. It was
called "The Story of Star Wars" and was an abridged version of the film
with original naration. In the days before VCRs and video rental stores
this was the only way to experience the movie at home.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Story_of_Star_Wars

>I can't actually find it online, which makes me wonder if it might
>be valuable. It's currently in a box in my garage somewhere, the only
>cassette tape I couldn't bear to throw out. I don't think I have the
>cassette box & sleeve any more though.

I assume it wouldn't be worth much. It was a fairly popular recording
at the time, and a lot copies were sold. It has no practical value,
you can buy a high quality video copy of the movie now, so it's of only
interest to collectors who would want a mint copy.

--
l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
[oo][oo] rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca

Re: May the Fourth Be With You

<is3g7h1qkl2tjbm4eaq11vlccfi549fm7m@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7187&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7187

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 08 May 2022 14:50:24 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Sun, 8 May 2022 18:50 UTC

On Sun, 08 May 2022 00:49:03 -0500, ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:

>PW <iamnotusingonewithAgent@notinuse.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 05 May 2022 09:33:14 -0400, Mike S. <Mike_S@nowhere.com>
>> wrote:

>> >I may me remembering it incorrectly, but what I do remember is
>> >overlong levels and no way to save during said level which annoyed me.
>
>> *--
>
>> I think I quit playing it because it turned into a jumping game for
>> me, which I hate.
>
>> -pw
>
>It wasn't that bad. I do remember its annoying breaking into security
>puzzle part. Argh.

Ah, the good ol' Imperial vault on Coruscant level. That was, at the
time, considered one of the highlights of the game (I rather enjoyed
it myself), since it was one of the ways the game set it apart from
the other 'Doom-clones' of its era.

But the jumping? I agree with that. There were a number of areas that
required very precise jumps just to proceed, and a lot of other areas
where you had to be very careful lest a mistimed leap resulted in a
sudden death. The game was /slightly/ more forgiving in this regard
than Doom, since you could at least look down to better judge WHEN to
jump, but it still was quite annoying.

Unfortunately, that was considered de rigeur for first-person shooters
of the day. In fact, while it has been toned down over the years,
despite decades of players complaining, first-person platforming still
remains part of too many FPS games to this day.

Re: May the Fourth Be With You

<afa08a9e-d853-4e40-96a1-c44b10aa0395n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7188&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7188

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 08:19:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Mon, 9 May 2022 15:19 UTC

On Sunday, May 8, 2022 at 11:15:40 AM UTC-7, Ross Ridge wrote:
> Justisaur <just...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >Lol, no. It's an odd one - it's (nearly?) the full sound track of the
> >movie with all the dialog. Like putting the video tape of the movie on,
> >but your TV picture is broken.
> I had, what I assume was the same recording, but on an LP record. It was
> called "The Story of Star Wars" and was an abridged version of the film
> with original naration. In the days before VCRs and video rental stores
> this was the only way to experience the movie at home.

I don't think it had narration. Maybe I'm misremembering though. I haven't
listened to it in decades, I don't think I even have a cassette player to listen
to it with if I could find it in the garage. The link to the youtube Spalls posted
of that one doesn't sound familiar, but it's badly distorted (probably to
avoid copyright takedown.) I'll concede for now it might be this one.

- Justisaur

Re: May the Fourth Be With You

<u4oj7htk2e3r8lckg2atmpkp6g8ps05985@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7191&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7191

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 09 May 2022 23:59:10 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Tue, 10 May 2022 03:59 UTC

On Mon, 9 May 2022 08:19:05 -0700 (PDT), Justisaur
<justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Sunday, May 8, 2022 at 11:15:40 AM UTC-7, Ross Ridge wrote:
>> Justisaur <just...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> >Lol, no. It's an odd one - it's (nearly?) the full sound track of the
>> >movie with all the dialog. Like putting the video tape of the movie on,
>> >but your TV picture is broken.
>> I had, what I assume was the same recording, but on an LP record. It was
>> called "The Story of Star Wars" and was an abridged version of the film
>> with original naration. In the days before VCRs and video rental stores
>> this was the only way to experience the movie at home.

>I don't think it had narration. Maybe I'm misremembering though. I haven't
>listened to it in decades, I don't think I even have a cassette player to listen
>to it with if I could find it in the garage. The link to the youtube Spalls posted
>of that one doesn't sound familiar, but it's badly distorted (probably to
>avoid copyright takedown.) I'll concede for now it might be this one.

All I had at the time was the record of the movie (LP) soundtrack...
complete with a bonus track of Disco version of the main theme. Which
I'd listen while to reading the novelization, of course.

I remember seeing the movie at home for the first time on (rented) VHS
tape and thinking that was the most futuristic thing ever, even if it
was on a blurry 12" TV. Truly, the past was a strange place.

The film really was a revelation at the time. It wasn't just the
special effects, although those were the best I'd ever seen at the
time. It was that - despite all the nonsense about Jedi and laser
swords and weird aliens - it was a strangely relatable tale, told with
likeable characters.

A lot of sci-fi prior to that was either depressingly distopian
(e.g.,"Soylent Green"), or moralistic (e.g., "The Day the Earth Stood
Still") or just silly monster-flicks (e.g., "The Pod People"). "Star
Wars" had a universe that made sense and characters that didn't seem -
despite some wooden dialogue - like they were out of a badly-produced
Shakespearean play. It really was transformative for the genre, and
watching it I knew that sci-fi would never be the same again.

Re: May the Fourth Be With You

<t5d58l$vj1$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7192&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7192

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 08:46:27 +0100
 by: JAB - Tue, 10 May 2022 07:46 UTC

On 10/05/2022 04:59, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Mon, 9 May 2022 08:19:05 -0700 (PDT), Justisaur
> <justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I had, what I assume was the same recording, but on an LP record. It was
>>> called "The Story of Star Wars" and was an abridged version of the film
>>> with original naration. In the days before VCRs and video rental stores
>>> this was the only way to experience the movie at home.
>
>> I don't think it had narration. Maybe I'm misremembering though. I haven't
>> listened to it in decades, I don't think I even have a cassette player to listen
>> to it with if I could find it in the garage. The link to the youtube Spalls posted
>> of that one doesn't sound familiar, but it's badly distorted (probably to
>> avoid copyright takedown.) I'll concede for now it might be this one.
>

> All I had at the time was the record of the movie (LP) soundtrack...
> complete with a bonus track of Disco version of the main theme. Which
> I'd listen while to reading the novelization, of course.
>
> I remember seeing the movie at home for the first time on (rented) VHS
> tape and thinking that was the most futuristic thing ever, even if it
> was on a blurry 12" TV. Truly, the past was a strange place.
>
> The film really was a revelation at the time. It wasn't just the
> special effects, although those were the best I'd ever seen at the
> time. It was that - despite all the nonsense about Jedi and laser
> swords and weird aliens - it was a strangely relatable tale, told with
> likeable characters.
>
> A lot of sci-fi prior to that was either depressingly distopian
> (e.g.,"Soylent Green"), or moralistic (e.g., "The Day the Earth Stood
> Still") or just silly monster-flicks (e.g., "The Pod People"). "Star
> Wars" had a universe that made sense and characters that didn't seem -
> despite some wooden dialogue - like they were out of a badly-produced
> Shakespearean play. It really was transformative for the genre, and
> watching it I knew that sci-fi would never be the same again.

I think I watched it when it came out at the cinema but that could be
false memory syndrome and even if it wasn't I was too young to remember
it. To be honest I can't remember when I did first watch it (probably
one of the blockbuster films at Xmas) but I do know I didn't watch the
next two in the series until the late nineties. I think they're fun
romps but they aren't must sees for me. Then again I'm not really into
sci-fi (Red Dwarf is one of my favourite series but that's a sitcom) and
off the top of my head the only one that's in my classic list is
Bladerunner. I did also enjoy the first two series of The Expanse but I
stopped at the start of series three as I thought, and this is often the
case, that it's now just being dragged out as it's popular.

As always, horses for courses and all that!

Re: May the Fourth Be With You

<t5drn6$6ee$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7195&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7195

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 07:09:41 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Tue, 10 May 2022 14:09 UTC

On 5/9/2022 8:59 PM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Mon, 9 May 2022 08:19:05 -0700 (PDT), Justisaur
> <justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I had, what I assume was the same recording, but on an LP record. It was
>>> called "The Story of Star Wars" and was an abridged version of the film
>>> with original naration. In the days before VCRs and video rental stores
>>> this was the only way to experience the movie at home.
>
>> I don't think it had narration. Maybe I'm misremembering though. I haven't
>> listened to it in decades, I don't think I even have a cassette player to listen
>> to it with if I could find it in the garage. The link to the youtube Spalls posted
>> of that one doesn't sound familiar, but it's badly distorted (probably to
>> avoid copyright takedown.) I'll concede for now it might be this one.
>

> All I had at the time was the record of the movie (LP) soundtrack...
> complete with a bonus track of Disco version of the main theme. Which
> I'd listen while to reading the novelization, of course.
>
> I remember seeing the movie at home for the first time on (rented) VHS
> tape and thinking that was the most futuristic thing ever, even if it
> was on a blurry 12" TV. Truly, the past was a strange place.
>
> The film really was a revelation at the time. It wasn't just the
> special effects, although those were the best I'd ever seen at the
> time. It was that - despite all the nonsense about Jedi and laser
> swords and weird aliens - it was a strangely relatable tale, told with
> likeable characters.
>
> A lot of sci-fi prior to that was either depressingly distopian
> (e.g.,"Soylent Green"), or moralistic (e.g., "The Day the Earth Stood
> Still") or just silly monster-flicks (e.g., "The Pod People"). "Star
> Wars" had a universe that made sense and characters that didn't seem -
> despite some wooden dialogue - like they were out of a badly-produced
> Shakespearean play. It really was transformative for the genre, and
> watching it I knew that sci-fi would never be the same again.

Kind of funny because it was largely inspired by the old Buck
Rodgers/Flash Gordon serials with some of Joseph Campbell's 'The Hero's
Journey' analysis of heroic epics in mythology mixed in. :)

dirty old man.

Re: May the Fourth Be With You

<t5drut$9bl$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7196&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7196

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 07:13:48 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Tue, 10 May 2022 14:13 UTC

On 5/10/2022 12:46 AM, JAB wrote:
> On 10/05/2022 04:59, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>> On Mon, 9 May 2022 08:19:05 -0700 (PDT), Justisaur
>> <justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I don't think it had narration.  Maybe I'm misremembering though.  I
>>> haven't
>>> listened to it in decades,  I don't think I even have a cassette
>>> player to listen
>>> to it with if I could find it in the garage.  The link to the youtube
>>> Spalls posted
>>> of that one doesn't sound familiar, but it's badly distorted
>>> (probably to
>>> avoid copyright takedown.)  I'll concede for now it might be this one.
>>

>> All I had at the time was the record of the movie (LP) soundtrack...
>> complete with a bonus track of Disco version of the main theme. Which
>> I'd listen while to reading the novelization, of course.
>>
>> I remember seeing the movie at home for the first time on (rented) VHS
>> tape and thinking that was the most futuristic thing ever, even if it
>> was on a blurry 12" TV. Truly, the past was a strange place.
>>
>> The film really was a revelation at the time. It wasn't just the
>> special effects, although those were the best I'd ever seen at the
>> time. It was that - despite all the nonsense about Jedi and laser
>> swords and weird aliens - it was a strangely relatable tale, told with
>> likeable characters.
>>
>> A lot of sci-fi prior to that was either depressingly distopian
>> (e.g.,"Soylent Green"), or moralistic (e.g., "The Day the Earth Stood
>> Still") or just silly monster-flicks (e.g., "The Pod People"). "Star
>> Wars" had a universe that made sense and characters that didn't seem -
>> despite some wooden dialogue - like they were out of a badly-produced
>> Shakespearean play. It really was transformative for the genre, and
>> watching it I knew that sci-fi would never be the same again.
>>

> I think I watched it when it came out at the cinema but that could be
> false memory syndrome and even if it wasn't I was too young to remember
> it. To be honest I can't remember when I did first watch it (probably
> one of the blockbuster films at Xmas) but I do know I didn't watch the
> next two in the series until the late nineties. I think they're fun
> romps but they aren't must sees for me. Then again I'm not really into
> sci-fi (Red Dwarf is one of my favourite series but that's a sitcom) and
> off the top of my head the only one that's in my classic list is
> Bladerunner. I did also enjoy the first two series of The Expanse but I
> stopped at the start of series three as I thought, and this is often the
> case, that it's now just being dragged out as it's popular.
>
> As always, horses for courses and all that!

The Expanse is an adaptation of a series of nine books. IIRC you
dropped out somewhere around book 2. :D

dirty old man.

Re: May the Fourth Be With You

<t5fp3s$chn$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7209&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7209

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 08:37:30 +0100
 by: JAB - Wed, 11 May 2022 07:37 UTC

On 10/05/2022 15:13, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
>> I think I watched it when it came out at the cinema but that could be
>> false memory syndrome and even if it wasn't I was too young to
>> remember it. To be honest I can't remember when I did first watch it
>> (probably one of the blockbuster films at Xmas) but I do know I didn't
>> watch the next two in the series until the late nineties. I think
>> they're fun romps but they aren't must sees for me. Then again I'm not
>> really into sci-fi (Red Dwarf is one of my favourite series but that's
>> a sitcom) and off the top of my head the only one that's in my classic
>> list is Bladerunner. I did also enjoy the first two series of The
>> Expanse but I stopped at the start of series three as I thought, and
>> this is often the case, that it's now just being dragged out as it's
>> popular.
>>
>> As always, horses for courses and all that!
>>
> The Expanse is an adaptation of a series of nine books.  IIRC you
> dropped out somewhere around book 2.  :D

I did start reading the first book mainly as I kinda knew one of the
co-authors from a forum I used to use. He did occasionally mention that
he was writing a book but I just thought, well yeh good luck with
getting that published. All of a sudden yes it was published. The
Expanse, that took me a few episodes before it clicked that I'd heard
this story before.