You will lose an important disk file.

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN APRIL 2022?

SubjectAuthor
* What Have You Been Playing... IN APRIL 2022?Spalls Hurgenson
+- Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN APRIL 2022?Dimensional Traveler
+* Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN APRIL 2022?Ant
|`* Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN APRIL 2022?Mike S.
| +* Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN APRIL 2022?Spalls Hurgenson
| |`- Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN APRIL 2022?Mike S.
| `* Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN APRIL 2022?Ant
|  `- Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN APRIL 2022?Mike S.
+* Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN APRIL 2022?JAB
|+* Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN APRIL 2022?Mike S.
||`* Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN APRIL 2022?PW
|| `* Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN APRIL 2022?Dimensional Traveler
||  `* Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN APRIL 2022?PW
||   `- Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN APRIL 2022?Dimensional Traveler
|`* Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN APRIL 2022?Justisaur
| +- Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN APRIL 2022?JAB
| `- Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN APRIL 2022?Dimensional Traveler
+* Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN APRIL 2022?JAB
|`* Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN APRIL 2022?Spalls Hurgenson
| +- Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN APRIL 2022?Justisaur
| `* Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN APRIL 2022?JAB
|  +* Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN APRIL 2022?Justisaur
|  |+- Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN APRIL 2022?Spalls Hurgenson
|  |`- Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN APRIL 2022?JAB
|  `* Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN APRIL 2022?Spalls Hurgenson
|   +- Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN APRIL 2022?Dimensional Traveler
|   `* Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN APRIL 2022?JAB
|    `- Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN APRIL 2022?Justisaur
+- Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN APRIL 2022?Anssi Saari
+* Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN APRIL 2022?Justisaur
|`- Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN APRIL 2022?JAB
+- Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN APRIL 2022?rms
`* Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN APRIL 2022?rms
 `- Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN APRIL 2022?Spalls Hurgenson

Pages:12
Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN APRIL 2022?

<fnj77hd30sjfls9nfegmvrrrjocaftahko@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7151&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7151

From: Mik...@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN APRIL 2022?
Date: Thu, 05 May 2022 09:28:15 -0400
 by: Mike S. - Thu, 5 May 2022 13:28 UTC

On Wed, 04 May 2022 18:23:48 -0500, ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:

>Well, I got sick of this game so I uninstalled it last night. Too much
>grindings and got old. I might do the same for D&DO later on. Real life
>is already grinding enough.

The problem with that word is that it means different things to
different people. The last time I grinded in an MMO was in the first
Everquest where I literally just killed the same mobs over and over
again in the same place for several hours on end. The only time you
should be doing that in LOTRO is if you want to go after the slayer
deeds.

Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN APRIL 2022?

<1c587428-3737-4ce6-b19a-925c0c62c755n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7154&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7154

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 07:37:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Thu, 5 May 2022 14:37 UTC

On Thursday, May 5, 2022 at 1:20:35 AM UTC-7, JAB wrote:

> New systems, I'd rather stick with ones I know but for me an important
> part is does it support the type of game you want to play and also does
> it have a low crunch factor. It's was one of the big problems I had with
> the original version of Paranoia. A setting that played up to the humour
> side but used a relatively heavyweight rules system.

Ah Paranoia. I own it, I've never played it though. I really wanted to, but
never found a group willing. I read a PbP which didn't seem the least bit
fun or funny unfortunately* so I gave up on even wanting to.

* It could just be my tastes in comedy, I've started watching a number
of comedy specials on Netflix the last year or so and didn't find anything
funny in the first 10 minutes at least and turned them off. I got through
a couple where I laughed at the trailer, but then those were the only funny
things to me in the whole set.

- Justisaur

Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN APRIL 2022?

<s5o77hlcu2sktrriti72nlncf48s4v8nkn@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7155&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7155

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 05 May 2022 10:52:24 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Thu, 5 May 2022 14:52 UTC

On Wed, 4 May 2022 19:39:08 -0600, "rms" <rsquiresMOO@MOOflashMOO.net>
wrote:
>>* Witcher 3 (finished!)

> You don't mention the DLC, did you play that as well?

Every single bit of it. A witcher leaves no quest untouched, after
all.

"Heart of Stone" was, in terms of story and gameplay, the one I
probably enjoyed more. Geralt gets himself ensnared in the
machinations of the local devil and has to wiggle his way out of that
unwisely made deal. The quests are enjoyable and varied (I
particularly liked guiding the curmudgeonly witcher through the
difficulties of enjoying himself at a wedding festival) and the
characters were more interesting. It doesn't really add anything to
the base game - maybe a few new caves and monsters - but given how
solid the rest of it is, that's not really a complaint. It just gave
me reason to keep wandering through Redania some more.

"Blood and Wine" is almost the opposite. It adds a huge amount of
content to the new game - maybe an extra third? - including a
beautiful new map. The land of Toussaint is absolutely gorgeous; a
lush, flower-filled realm that looks like something out of a fable. It
appears especially beautiful after weeks of wandering through the
muddy, corpse-strewn realms of the north. It is almost a night and day
difference.

Unfortunately, I didn't find its characters, story or quests
particularly engaging. And unless you are familiar with the original
novels, the reveal of a certain character - an old traveling companion
of Geralt's whose involvement is the heart of the story - falls flat;
lacking that connection, he's just another quest-giver. The climax -
when the big-bad unleashes his hordes, and the final battle against
him - is, admittedly, rather spectacular but otherwise the adventures
in Toussaint feel rather humdrum.

(Plus, if you do all the quests, by the end you'll be wielding an
infinity+1 sword that kills monsters so easily that it takes all the
challenge from the rest of the game.)

Still, I enjoyed both DLC packages (and all the smaller ones too,
although I'd be hard pressed to figure out what was DLC and was core
game in that regard), if for different reasons. They added some great
variety and were solidly made. My only real complaint is that they
overloaded an already long game with even more excellent content, but
I guess that's really not something I should be bitching about. ;-)

Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN APRIL 2022?

<drr77hdvmdck7bfv7haajv5ucvb7gnp3at@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7159&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7159

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 05 May 2022 11:50:25 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Thu, 5 May 2022 15:50 UTC

On Thu, 5 May 2022 09:20:30 +0100, JAB <noway@nochance.com> wrote:
>On 02/05/2022 16:27, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>> On Mon, 2 May 2022 10:24:18 +0100, JAB <noway@nochance.com> wrote:

>>> I'm certainly not as an avid reader of novels as I used to be but one
>>> thing I have noticed is that actually reading from a physical hardback
>>> seems to add to the overall enjoyment. It's not that I don't think the
>>> Kindle is bad (indeed I think it's a greatidea) but there's just
>>> something nice about holding a book and turning the pages.
>> I'm all e-book these days, but I've had decades to transition to the
>> format (<hipster> "Like, I was reading e-books before it was cool,
>> man!" </hipster>). These days I find holding an actual dead-tree tome
>> such an uncomfortable experience compared to the featherweight
>> lightness of a kindle that I wondered how I ever managed in the olden
>> days.
>> The only downside is - as usual - the sheer number of volumes I have
>> available at my fingertips paralyzes me with the burden of choice. How
>> can I decide what to read next? And do I keep at a book that doesn't
>> instantly 'grab' me when I have hundreds of others just waiting to be
>> read? It's all too stressful; maybe I'll play a video game instead....

>I can't quite remember when I got my first Kindle but it was the one
>with the keyboard. We've been through a couple more since then but I
>tend to use the app on the iPad now as it means I only have to take a
>single device with me.

>The downside I agree with and possibly one of the advantages of getting
>a physical copy is it will hopefully stop me doing what I used to do
>with games. See something that I fancied and was cheap so I'd buy it but
>never get around to reading it.

This may surprise you (but probably won't) but I had the same habits
regarding hard-copy books that I do with video games, which is to say,
if it looked even moderately interesting, I added it to the library.
Okay, it wasn't quite so extreme, but that's more to do with the fact
that there were definite limits to how many books I could own due to
physical limitations, and because few publishers were giving away
their wares for free. But I had - and read - a lot of books.

Which is why I so readily switched to digital format. I read fast, and
often could get through a book a day. Going to work, I'd often load up
my satchel* with two or three novels, just to ensure I'd have enough
reading material at hand. Jumping from that weighty load to a
light-weight portable device was transformative. Originally, I started
with a Palm Pilot PDA; it was only years later - as my eyes started to
deteriorate - that I moved on to the larger tablet). That it also
allowed me to carry my entire library (and not just two or three
books) was a bonus.

Really, the only dead-tree books I still use are when I'm playing
tabletop RPGs. I have most of the rulebooks in PDFs, and in fact
reference the digital versions when WRITING the adventures... but
while playing, I prefer the tactile pleasure of thumbing through the
pages authoritively (touch-screens being what they are, it's also
usually faster too; linear reading is great, but searching on a tablet
remains a chore)**.

The usual acronymic disclaimers apply.

----------------------
* it's a satchel, I tell you! NOT a man-purse! It's from Europe!

Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN APRIL 2022?

<nis77hlavfod5ba6kur74qmk37905o1pa0@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7160&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7160

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 05 May 2022 11:58:37 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Thu, 5 May 2022 15:58 UTC

On Thu, 5 May 2022 07:37:52 -0700 (PDT), Justisaur
<justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thursday, May 5, 2022 at 1:20:35 AM UTC-7, JAB wrote:

>> New systems, I'd rather stick with ones I know but for me an important
>> part is does it support the type of game you want to play and also does
>> it have a low crunch factor. It's was one of the big problems I had with
>> the original version of Paranoia. A setting that played up to the humour
>> side but used a relatively heavyweight rules system.

>Ah Paranoia. I own it, I've never played it though. I really wanted to, but
>never found a group willing. I read a PbP which didn't seem the least bit
>fun or funny unfortunately* so I gave up on even wanting to.

Paranoia, done right, is an absolute blast. Unfortunately, it's also
really hard to do 'right'. I've played Paranoia several times, and -
while I never really disliked the experience - there was only once
that it really all gelled together and lived up to its promise. You
not only need a good GM, you need players who are into the whole
thing.

By nature, the adventures tend to be fairly linear and scripted, and
deviating too far off the path often ruins the pacing... and pacing is
everything in comedy. The rulebooks present an idealized version of
how the game plays, but (at least in my experience) it rarely works
out like that, and - while the adventure may be enjoyable - it lacks
that spark that makes the game memorable. Instead, it becomes a rather
humdrum adventure in a lackluster setting.

Most games are a lot more forgiving about the foibles of their
players, but Paranois doesn't seem to be one of them. If you can't
capture the mood and style, it's dull and top-heavy game. But if you
can... then its magic.

Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN APRIL 2022?

<t50us4$bc$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7163&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7163

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 17:43:47 +0100
 by: JAB - Thu, 5 May 2022 16:43 UTC

On 05/05/2022 15:37, Justisaur wrote:
> On Thursday, May 5, 2022 at 1:20:35 AM UTC-7, JAB wrote:
>
>> New systems, I'd rather stick with ones I know but for me an important
>> part is does it support the type of game you want to play and also does
>> it have a low crunch factor. It's was one of the big problems I had with
>> the original version of Paranoia. A setting that played up to the humour
>> side but used a relatively heavyweight rules system.
>
> Ah Paranoia. I own it, I've never played it though. I really wanted to, but
> never found a group willing. I read a PbP which didn't seem the least bit
> fun or funny unfortunately* so I gave up on even wanting to.
>
> * It could just be my tastes in comedy, I've started watching a number
> of comedy specials on Netflix the last year or so and didn't find anything
> funny in the first 10 minutes at least and turned them off. I got through
> a couple where I laughed at the trailer, but then those were the only funny
> things to me in the whole set.

I'm not really sure that it's the type of system that's suitable for PnP.

So covering some of the ground that Spalls already has, I very much
enjoyed playing it many years ago but I think a weakness it has is that
unlike your average RPG is not very accommodating of a spectrum of what
people want out of a game. I GM'ed it for a couple of groups when I was
younger and with one it went well and the other a complete disaster.

The main difference, the group who enjoyed it were far more in to the
whole idea of roleplaying with a capital R and the ones who didn't where
mostly power gamers.

Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN APRIL 2022?

<t519qh$p9g$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7166&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7166

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 12:50:43 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Thu, 5 May 2022 19:50 UTC

On 5/5/2022 8:50 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> [...]
> with a Palm Pilot PDA; it was only years later - as my eyes started to
> deteriorate - that I moved on to the larger tablet). That it also
> allowed me to carry my entire library (and not just two or three
> books) was a bonus.
>
> Really, the only dead-tree books I still use are when I'm playing
> tabletop RPGs. I have most of the rulebooks in PDFs, and in fact
> reference the digital versions when WRITING the adventures... but
> while playing, I prefer the tactile pleasure of thumbing through the
> pages authoritively (touch-screens being what they are, it's also
> usually faster too; linear reading is great, but searching on a tablet
> remains a chore)**.
>
> The usual acronymic disclaimers apply.
>

> ----------------------
> * it's a satchel, I tell you! NOT a man-purse! It's from Europe!

I have a messenger bag. :P

dirty old man.

Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN APRIL 2022?

<t52l46$p6u$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7171&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7171

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 09:09:40 +0100
 by: JAB - Fri, 6 May 2022 08:09 UTC

On 05/05/2022 16:50, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

> Really, the only dead-tree books I still use are when I'm playing
> tabletop RPGs. I have most of the rulebooks in PDFs, and in fact
> reference the digital versions when WRITING the adventures... but
> while playing, I prefer the tactile pleasure of thumbing through the
> pages authoritively (touch-screens being what they are, it's also
> usually faster too; linear reading is great, but searching on a tablet
> remains a chore)**.
>
> The usual acronymic disclaimers apply.

I also find for reference type material a physical copy is easier to use
as there tends to be a lot of flipping back and forth and searching for
something you just want to quickly look-up. You can do that on a
e-Reader but it seems horribly inefficient unless you know exactly what
you're looking for.

> ----------------------
> * it's a satchel, I tell you! NOT a man-purse! It's from Europe!

Us Europeans and our strange ways. Saying that my bag of choice is a
small rucksack as I just find that more comfortable to carry around.

Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN APRIL 2022?

<fb23ac23-1b74-4488-b6db-d05da537434bn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7175&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7175

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 13:23:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Sat, 7 May 2022 20:23 UTC

On Friday, May 6, 2022 at 1:09:44 AM UTC-7, JAB wrote:
> On 05/05/2022 16:50, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>

> > * it's a satchel, I tell you! NOT a man-purse! It's from Europe!
> >
> Us Europeans and our strange ways. Saying that my bag of choice is a
> small rucksack as I just find that more comfortable to carry around.

I had a duffel bag. Books weighed too much and eventually ripped a hole
in it though after years of use, and I wasn't DMing with a large collection
of books on me much after that.

- Justisaur