From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Subject: Wolf3D turned 30 yesterday.
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 06 May 2022 12:18:45 -0500
 by: Ant - Fri, 6 May 2022 17:18 UTC

From https://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&boardid=1&threadid=247714 :O

Wow. I was a teenager back then and playing it on my slow IBM PS/2 model 30 286 10 Mhz PC. I remember making maps and editing graphics (changing human heads to ant heads, making T1000 animations, etc.) in Wolf3D. Hehe.
--
May da 6th be with U! Wolf3D turned 30 yesterday! :O
| |o o| |

Re: Wolf3D turned 30 yesterday.

<um5e7h5s24frns0d9inv35ac79e7p2ufgb@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7177&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7177

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Wolf3D turned 30 yesterday.
Date: Sat, 07 May 2022 21:28:57 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Sun, 8 May 2022 01:28 UTC

On Fri, 06 May 2022 12:18:45 -0500, ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:

>From https://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&boardid=1&threadid=247714 :O
>
> Wow. I was a teenager back then and playing it on my slow IBM
> PS/2 model 30 286 10 Mhz PC. I remember making maps and
> editing graphics (changing human heads to ant heads, making T1000
>animations, etc.) in Wolf3D. Hehe.

(I think I've told this story before)

When Wolfenstein 3D came out, I knew nothing about it beforehand. I
was literally playing "Ultima Underworld" when a peer came up to me
and asked if that was 'Wolf3D', and (if it was), could I make a copy
for him. He went away empty-handed, but that was how I learned of
Wolfenstein's existence.

I knew about "Wolfenstein", of course; I'd played "Castle Wolfenstein"
and its sequel "Beyond Castle Wolfenstein" years prior, and had
exceptionally fond memories of those games. I am not sure if I'd heard
of Id software at that point, but if I had, I certainly associated
them with cheap, cheesy platformers like "Commander Keen" and not with
any compelling 'must-play' games. Still, the possible association of
this "Wolfenstein 3D" with the classic games of yore was enough to
send me to Usenet to learn what this game was about.

(Since this was - I think - back before the c.s.i.p.games hierarchy
split into .action, .rpg, .etc, the main group was so busy no person
could humanly read all the articles. Back then you only followed a
selection of interesting-looking threads and ignored everything else.
So even though there was talk about Wolfenstein 3D there, I'd never
noticed it. Using Usenet was so completely different back then than it
is today)

Long story short (ha!) I read up about the game, found the appropriate
FTP sites, downloaded the shareware game, installed it... and was
almost immediately disappointed. Oh, from a technological standpoint
it was an impressive game, and its association with the "Wolfenstein"
franchise was nice... but the gameplay? Its level design? Too
simplistic for my taste. Plus, its flat-shaded ceilings and floors
were ugly, and its music annoyingly repetitive. I played a few hours
and then deleted the game. At the time, I was certain I wouldn't be
hearing much from those guys at Id Software again if "Wolfenstein 3D"
was the best they had to offer.

Weeks later, when conversation about that silly Wolfenstein game
continued to dominate the newsgroup, I went back and played it again;
this time I had more fun and started to appreciate it for what it was.
"Wolf3D" never became one of my favorite games, but I was no longer so
dismissive of it. Anyway, I found it interesting enough to keep
playing it, and eventually I mail in my $20 (or whatever it cost) to
buy the other episodes. When Id announced the 'sequel', something
called "Doom", I was all-in from the start.

I think my PC at the time was a 386 DX 25MHz with 4MB RAM. My first
soundcard was a Thunderboard, but I may have upgraded to a
SoundBlaster Pro by that time. The hard-drive was either 80MB or
120MB. It definitely rocked both a 5.25" and 3.5" floppy drive, and I
was connecting to the 'net via a super-fast 9600 modem. I've no idea
anymore what the video-card was, except that it definitely was VGA (I
always assume it was a Trident with 256KB RAM, because that seemed to
be the default for so many PCs back then).

Re: Wolf3D turned 30 yesterday.

<slrntato5r.d90.usenet@raspberrypi.geeknix.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7745&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7745

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
From: use...@apple.geeknix135.net (Geeknix)
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2022 08:39:23 GMT
 by: Geeknix - Sun, 19 Jun 2022 08:39 UTC

On 2022-05-08, Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 06 May 2022 12:18:45 -0500, ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:
>
>>From https://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&boardid=1&threadid=247714 :O
>>
>> Wow. I was a teenager back then and playing it on my slow IBM
>> PS/2 model 30 286 10 Mhz PC. I remember making maps and
>> editing graphics (changing human heads to ant heads, making T1000
>>animations, etc.) in Wolf3D. Hehe.
>
> (I think I've told this story before)
>
> (Since this was - I think - back before the c.s.i.p.games hierarchy
> split into .action, .rpg, .etc, the main group was so busy no person
> could humanly read all the articles. Back then you only followed a
> selection of interesting-looking threads and ignored everything else.
> So even though there was talk about Wolfenstein 3D there, I'd never
> noticed it. Using Usenet was so completely different back then than it
> is today)

I wasn't around when this split happened. I do remember how busy comp.*
and uk.* were very busy and couldn't follow every conversation. I had to
set temporary filters on subjects I wasn't following to reduce the
noise.

Add to Usenet the chats with friends on IRC, BBSes and MUDs it was quite
a lively scene.

GN

--
Don't be afraid of the deep...
--[ bbs.bottomlessabyss.net | https | telnet=2023 ]--

Re: Wolf3D turned 30 yesterday.

<qkkuah948kdve5pd2u6epsoadpf031fvvo@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7747&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7747

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2022 13:04:17 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Sun, 19 Jun 2022 17:04 UTC

On Sun, 19 Jun 2022 08:39:23 GMT, Geeknix
<usenet@apple.geeknix135.net> wrote:
>On 2022-05-08, Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>> (Since this was - I think - back before the c.s.i.p.games hierarchy
>> split into .action, .rpg, .etc, the main group was so busy no person
>> could humanly read all the articles. Back then you only followed a
>> selection of interesting-looking threads and ignored everything else.
>> So even though there was talk about Wolfenstein 3D there, I'd never
>> noticed it. Using Usenet was so completely different back then than it
>> is today)
>
>I wasn't around when this split happened. I do remember how busy comp.*
>and uk.* were very busy and couldn't follow every conversation. I had to
>set temporary filters on subjects I wasn't following to reduce the
>noise.
>Add to Usenet the chats with friends on IRC, BBSes and MUDs it was quite
>a lively scene.

Don't forget BITNet, which is actually where I started my "Usenet"
experience... I think. At the time I really didn't understand the
difference between the various services and - anyway - I think my
access to BITNet was through an NNTP portal gateway.

The 90s were such a time of wild change when it came to computer
technology. The transitition from BBS to Internet was multifaceted; I
was switching back and forth between different access points on what
(now seems) a monthly basis. My ideal at the time was a BBS that had a
Usenet node, and there were a few I found that had just that, but they
were either short-lived or too expensive or just didn't have enough
phone-lines.

IRC (and MUDs) were mainstays too, but always secondary in importance.
In order of priority, it went Usenet, email, FTP, decent user forums
(if a BBS), the "world wide web", and then everything else. IRC -
especially in the late 90s - was frequently running, but rarely a
point of focus; the conversations were inane and the frequency of
'channel wars' (and denial-of-service attacks) was annoying.

On the whole, though, I'm glad to be past those trying times; there
was an energy and liveliness to that era, but these days I'm more
interested in "it just works" than racing after the latest 'n'
greatest and hoping its compatible with my hardware, my friends, my
lifestyle.

Re: Wolf3D turned 30 yesterday.

<t8p8p7$dqg$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7751&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7751

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 08:48:52 +0100
 by: JAB - Mon, 20 Jun 2022 07:48 UTC

On 19/06/2022 18:04, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> The 90s were such a time of wild change when it came to computer
> technology. The transitition from BBS to Internet was multifaceted; I
> was switching back and forth between different access points on what
> (now seems) a monthly basis. My ideal at the time was a BBS that had a
> Usenet node, and there were a few I found that had just that, but they
> were either short-lived or too expensive or just didn't have enough
> phone-lines.

I pretty much missed it as although I was very much into computing
during the 80's (I was even on a system called Prestel which was a
revelation at the time as a 'baby internet') but by the late 80's my
attention had turned to, well going out and drinking really - don't
judge I'm from the UK and that was the natural progression. I didn't get
back into it until the late 90's when I bought my first PC.