From: no-em...@invalid.invalid (Andrei Z.)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: The Unexpected Importance of the Trailing Slash
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 08:25:39 +0300
 by: Andrei Z. - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 05:25 UTC

The Unexpected Importance of the Trailing Slash – Tookmund

https://tookmund.com/2022/04/importance-of-the-trailing-slash

"For many using Unix-derived systems today, we take for granted that
/some/path and /some/path/ are the same."

"However, many programs treat these two paths as subtly different in
certain cases"

Re: The Unexpected Importance of the Trailing Slash

<t2rh4e$23l$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7209&group=comp.os.linux.misc#7209

From: vasco.co...@invalid.invalid (Vasco Costa)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 08:46:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Vasco Costa - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 08:46 UTC

On 09/04/2022, Andrei Z. <no-email@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> The Unexpected Importance of the Trailing Slash – Tookmund
>
> https://tookmund.com/2022/04/importance-of-the-trailing-slash
>
> "For many using Unix-derived systems today, we take for granted that
> /some/path and /some/path/ are the same."
>
> "However, many programs treat these two paths as subtly different in
> certain cases"

That was an interesting read. On the back of my mind I've always noticed
some slight differences but never really realised which ones.

--
Vasco Costa

AKA gluon. Enthusiastic about computers, motorsports, science,
technology, travelling and TV series. Yes I'm a bit of a geek.

Gemini: gemini://gluonspace.com/

Re: The Unexpected Importance of the Trailing Slash

<t2rige$6pk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7210&group=comp.os.linux.misc#7210

From: joema...@arcor.de (JJenssen)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 11:09:34 +0200
 by: JJenssen - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 09:09 UTC

Am 09.04.22 um 07:25 schrieb Andrei Z.:
> The Unexpected Importance of the Trailing Slash – Tookmund
>
> https://tookmund.com/2022/04/importance-of-the-trailing-slash
>
> "For many using Unix-derived systems today, we take for granted that
> /some/path and /some/path/ are the same."
>
> "However, many programs treat these two paths as subtly different in
> certain cases"

Thanks for that I missed.

___
Regards
JJenssen

Re: The Unexpected Importance of the Trailing Slash

<Rs2dnULtD9QD1c__nZ2dnUU7-T3NnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7211&group=comp.os.linux.misc#7211

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
From: 25BZ...@nada.net (25.BX944)
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 23:01:48 -0400
 by: 25.BX944 - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 03:01 UTC

On 4/9/22 1:25 AM, Andrei Z. wrote:
> The Unexpected Importance of the Trailing Slash – Tookmund
>
> https://tookmund.com/2022/04/importance-of-the-trailing-slash
>
> "For many using Unix-derived systems today, we take for granted that
> /some/path and /some/path/ are the same."
>
> "However, many programs treat these two paths as subtly different in
> certain cases"

Very true !

Never just ASSUME - TEST !

Even a simple utility like rsync acts VERY differently
depending on whether you add that slash or not.

And whatever you write yourself - FIX whatever the
user sends as command line args or config files. If
you need, or don't need, trailing slashes then be
sure to look for them and add/remove.