From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Taskbar popups
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 11:23:45 +0000
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 11:23 UTC

This may only apply with Aero modes - unlike most, I quite like that, so
have left it on this time round.

When I hover over a taskbar button, a miniature screenshot of that
window appears. Unfortunately, it doesn't disappear unless moved off,
and if I am cursoring _near_ the bottom of the screen and accidentally
dip into the taskbar, they can be triggered, usually covering what I was
going for, and I have to actively move out of them and then back in to
what I was going for. (Such as a horizontal scrollbar in one of the
windows.)

Is there a way of turning off these popups (within an Aero theme, if
that's relevant)?

The web is a blank slate; you can't design technology that is 'good'. You can't
design paper that you can only write good things on. There are no good or evil
tools. You can put an engine in an ambulance or a tank. - Sir Tim Berners-Lee,
Radio Times 2009-Jan-30 to -Feb-5.

Re: Taskbar popups

<uidaut$10bnd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7207&group=alt.windows7.general#7207

From: ed...@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Taskbar popups
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 12:35:04 +0000
 by: Ed Cryer - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 12:35 UTC

John K.Eason wrote:
> In article <aAk4m2AB5hSlFwM9@255soft.uk>, G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver) wrote:
>
>> *From:* "J. P. Gilliver" <G6JPG@255soft.uk>
>> *Date:* Tue, 7 Nov 2023 11:23:45 +0000
>>
>> When I hover over a taskbar button, a miniature screenshot of that
>> window appears. Unfortunately, it doesn't disappear unless moved
>> off, and if I am cursoring _near_ the bottom of the screen and
>> accidentally dip into the taskbar, they can be triggered, usually
>> covering what I was going for, and I have to actively move out of
>> them and then back in to what I was going for. (Such as a
>> horizontal scrollbar in one of the windows.)
>>
>> Is there a way of turning off these popups (within an Aero theme,
>> if that's relevant)?
>
> Open Windows Settings
>
> Select System
>
> Scroll down and choose About
>
> On the right side, scroll all the way down and choose Advanced system settings
>
> Switch to the Advanced tab if it's not already selected.
>
> Under the Performance section, select Settings
>
> Uncheck the boxes next to:
>
> Enable Peek
> Save taskbar thumbnail previews
> Show thumbnails instead of icons
>
> Press OK and then OK again to get out of the Advanced system settings.

Nice to know that.
I'm keeping mine showing, however. I can see JPG's problem but I have
some use for them.
1. Multiple open windows show when you hover; and you can select, close,
even read some with a larger monitor and good eyesight.
2. They usefully show when too many windows are open.
3. Sometimes MS puts a window behind another. That shows on taskbar
thumbnail.

Ed

Re: Taskbar popups

<uidb2f$10bnd$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7208&group=alt.windows7.general#7208

From: ed...@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 12:37:16 +0000
 by: Ed Cryer - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 12:37 UTC

Ed Cryer wrote:
> John K.Eason wrote:
>> In article <aAk4m2AB5hSlFwM9@255soft.uk>, G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P.
>> Gilliver) wrote:
>>
>>> *From:* "J. P. Gilliver" <G6JPG@255soft.uk>
>>> *Date:* Tue, 7 Nov 2023 11:23:45 +0000
>>>
>>> When I hover over a taskbar button, a miniature screenshot of that
>>> window appears. Unfortunately, it doesn't disappear unless moved
>>> off, and if I am cursoring _near_ the bottom of the screen and
>>> accidentally dip into the taskbar, they can be triggered, usually
>>> covering what I was going for, and I have to actively move out of
>>> them and then back in to what I was going for. (Such as a
>>> horizontal scrollbar in one of the windows.)
>>>
>>> Is there a way of turning off these popups (within an Aero theme,
>>> if that's relevant)?
>>
>> Open Windows Settings
>>
>> Select System
>>
>> Scroll down and choose About
>>
>> On the right side, scroll all the way down and choose Advanced system
>> settings
>>
>> Switch to the Advanced tab if it's not already selected.
>>
>> Under the Performance section, select Settings
>>
>> Uncheck the boxes next to:
>>
>>   Enable Peek
>>   Save taskbar thumbnail previews
>>   Show thumbnails instead of icons
>> Press OK and then OK again to get out of the Advanced system settings.
>>

> Nice to know that.
> I'm keeping mine showing, however. I can see JPG's problem but I have
> some use for them.
> 1. Multiple open windows show when you hover; and you can select, close,
> even read some with a larger monitor and good eyesight.
> 2. They usefully show when too many windows are open.
> 3. Sometimes MS puts a window behind another. That shows on taskbar
> thumbnail.
>
> Ed

P.S. My reply was based on Win10, too.
Ed (:-

Re: Taskbar popups

<aqqskith541rfmqg9nc5svr8ukft7qi0hj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7212&group=alt.windows7.general#7212

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 12:42:44 -0500
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Fri, 10 Nov 2023 17:42 UTC

On Tue, 7 Nov 2023 11:23:45 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver" <G6JPG@255soft.uk>
wrote:

>This may only apply with Aero modes - unlike most, I quite like that, so
>have left it on this time round.
>
>When I hover over a taskbar button, a miniature screenshot of that
>window appears. Unfortunately, it doesn't disappear unless moved off,
>and if I am cursoring _near_ the bottom of the screen and accidentally
>dip into the taskbar, they can be triggered, usually covering what I was
>going for, and I have to actively move out of them and then back in to
>what I was going for. (Such as a horizontal scrollbar in one of the
>windows.)
>
>Is there a way of turning off these popups (within an Aero theme, if
>that's relevant)?
I just got used to peek but I keep the task bar hidden so it is a
little harder to get it by accident.

Re: Taskbar popups

<kuJX9Njz5nTlFwgs@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7213&group=alt.windows7.general#7213

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 19:03:15 +0000
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Fri, 10 Nov 2023 19:03 UTC

In message <aqqskith541rfmqg9nc5svr8ukft7qi0hj@4ax.com> at Fri, 10 Nov
2023 12:42:44, gfretwell@aol.com writes
>On Tue, 7 Nov 2023 11:23:45 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver" <G6JPG@255soft.uk>
>wrote:
>
>>This may only apply with Aero modes - unlike most, I quite like that, so
>>have left it on this time round.
>>
>>When I hover over a taskbar button, a miniature screenshot of that
>>window appears. Unfortunately, it doesn't disappear unless moved off,
>>and if I am cursoring _near_ the bottom of the screen and accidentally
>>dip into the taskbar, they can be triggered, usually covering what I was
>>going for, and I have to actively move out of them and then back in to
>>what I was going for. (Such as a horizontal scrollbar in one of the
>>windows.)
>>
>>Is there a way of turning off these popups (within an Aero theme, if
>>that's relevant)?
>I just got used to peek but I keep the task bar hidden so it is a
>little harder to get it by accident.

The taskbar tweaker pointed to by the page someone here suggested solved
my problem - though I think it has also turned off the preview of .jpg
files in explorer too, at least I can't think of anything else I've done
recently that would have done that.

"The wish of the lazy to allow unsupervised access [to the internet] to their
children should not reduce all adults browsing to the level of suitability for a
five-year-old." Yaman Akdeniz, quoted in Inter//face (The Times, 1999-2-10): p12