From: minoru.o...@asahi.net (Minoru Osaka)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Subject: What determines which monitor an application will pop up inside?
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2023 13:39:53 +0900
 by: Minoru Osaka - Tue, 27 Jun 2023 04:39 UTC

I have two monitors.

Most of the time, an application's window pops up where I last left a
similar window, but enough of the time the application pops up a window in
the secondary monitor when I KNOW I didn't last leave that application open
there.

The secondary monitor is half the size of the primary so I only put some
stuff there (certainly not browsers - which still sometimes pop up there).

What does Windows use to determine WHICH monitor an app will pop its window
in? Is it purely random? Does it calculate how much room is on the primary?

Re: What determines which monitor an application will pop up inside?

<m34wg450fpjk$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=72206&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#72206

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2023 00:23:52 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 27 Jun 2023 05:23 UTC

Minoru Osaka <minoru.osaka@asahi.net> wrote:

> I have two monitors.
>
> Most of the time, an application's window pops up where I last left a
> similar window, but enough of the time the application pops up a
> window in the secondary monitor when I KNOW I didn't last leave that
> application open there.
>
> The secondary monitor is half the size of the primary so I only put
> some stuff there (certainly not browsers - which still sometimes pop
> up there).
>
> What does Windows use to determine WHICH monitor an app will pop its
> window in? Is it purely random? Does it calculate how much room is on
> the primary?

After loading a program that shows a window:

- Drag it to the monitor where you want it to default show next time.

- With the program's window having focus, use Winkey + <arrowkey> to
move the window to the desired monitor. <arrowkey> is the Left or Right
arrow key (on the numpad).

The second method should have the program open in the monitor its window
was last opened.

Under system settings (Win + I) -> System -> Display, you should select
which monitor is the default one. You can switch which monitor is the
primary one.

Microsoft did not include any controls to force opening program windows
on a specific monitor. You have to rely on "last open" to hopefully get
the program to use the same monitor the next time.

Your video card's ancilliary software may let you define profiles (often
for games) that will let you specify on which monitor to show.

There are 3rd party apps that let you define shortcuts that specify on
which monitor to focus when opening the program's window. For example:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/tvgamelauncher/ (free)
https://www.displayfusion.com/Download/ (trialware, $34 USD, and up) [*]

[*] I remember a user asking about this in a forum, and the response was
to define a trigger which specify which monitor to use. But I've not
used this software to be sure how you specify monitor affinity.