From: jim...@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim the Geordie)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Outlook (2021) Headers - a bit OT
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2023 10:34:56 +0100
 by: Jim the Geordie - Wed, 28 Jun 2023 09:34 UTC

I sure I should know this, but Outlook headers show two lines of the
message below the subject. How do I set it to remove them.
I would try posting to Outlook groups, but they are a waste of time.

--
Jim the Geordie

Re: Outlook (2021) Headers - a bit OT

<nyu1vcunktew$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=72213&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#72213

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Outlook (2021) Headers - a bit OT
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2023 08:08:24 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 28 Jun 2023 13:08 UTC

Jim the Geordie <jim@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote:

> I sure I should know this, but Outlook headers show two lines of the
> message below the subject. How do I set it to remove them.
> I would try posting to Outlook groups, but they are a waste of time.

Are the "two lines of the message below the subject" just continuation
lines of the Subject header, or are they headers? Continuation lines
(of headers) have 1, or more, spaces starting in column 1. Headers
start in column 1 (no leading spaces). For example:

Subject: This is a header line (starts in column 1)
This is a continuation line of the Subject header (starts in column 2+)
This is another continuation line (starts in column 2+)

Are you asking about the headers in a message which means you are
viewing the raw source of the message? Or are you looking at the
preview pane showing some headers along with the body of the message?

Take a screenshot of what you are asking about, and upload to online
storage (e.g., Imgur, ImgBB, PostImage, or to a public folder in your
Dropbox, OneDrive, or Google Drive account). Before uploading the pic,
blur out anything in the screenshot you don't want to be public (edit it
in Paint, or other image editor). Then post the URL to the pic here, so
we can also see what you are asking about.

Re: Outlook (2021) Headers - a bit OT

<MPG.3f0649fb97a1267e989a6f@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=72214&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#72214

From: PhillipH...@SlashDevNull.invalid (Philip Herlihy)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2023 14:46:07 +0100
 by: Philip Herlihy - Wed, 28 Jun 2023 13:46 UTC

In article <MPG.3f060f1df7d2496498968e@paganini.bofh.team>, Jim the Geordie
wrote...

> I sure I should know this, but Outlook headers show two lines of the
> message below the subject. How do I set it to remove them.
> I would try posting to Outlook groups, but they are a waste of time.

Those probably aren't "headers" but the first lines of the message. To adjust,
go to the View tab, and look for "Message Preview".

("Headers" are almost indecipherable 'tracing' information hidden unless you
specifically look for them. With a message open, expand the 'Tags' item on the
ribbon.)

Both curent on Outlook 2013 (I must get round to installing the Office 365 I
bought...)

--

Phil, London

Re: Outlook (2021) Headers - a bit OT

<bj6p9ildb8nh6abvuk1kdi8gu0ca7v42s0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=72219&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#72219

From: non...@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2023 15:42:26 -0500
 by: Char Jackson - Wed, 28 Jun 2023 20:42 UTC

On Wed, 28 Jun 2023 10:34:56 +0100, Jim the Geordie
<jim@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote:

>I sure I should know this, but Outlook headers show two lines of the
>message below the subject. How do I set it to remove them.
>I would try posting to Outlook groups, but they are a waste of time.

In Outlook, (not in Options but rather in the main Outlook window), go
to the View menu and look for the item called Message Preview. Click it
to expose the drop-down, where you can select a 1-line preview, 2-line
preview, 3-line preview, or Off. Sounds like you want to use the Off
setting.

More info here, including a picture:
(don't worry that it's for OL 2013 - they're all the same)
<https://www.howtogeek.com/tips/change-the-number-of-lines-shown-for-message-previews-in-outlook-2013/>

Re: Outlook (2021) Headers - a bit OT

<MPG.3f06cd9741eff0c898968f@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=72221&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#72221

From: jim...@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim the Geordie)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2023 00:07:36 +0100
 by: Jim the Geordie - Wed, 28 Jun 2023 23:07 UTC

In article <bj6p9ildb8nh6abvuk1kdi8gu0ca7v42s0@4ax.com>,
none@none.invalid says...

> On Wed, 28 Jun 2023 10:34:56 +0100, Jim the Geordie
> <jim@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >I sure I should know this, but Outlook headers show two lines of the
> >message below the subject. How do I set it to remove them.
> >I would try posting to Outlook groups, but they are a waste of time.
>
> In Outlook, (not in Options but rather in the main Outlook window), go
> to the View menu and look for the item called Message Preview. Click it
> to expose the drop-down, where you can select a 1-line preview, 2-line
> preview, 3-line preview, or Off. Sounds like you want to use the Off
> setting.
>
> More info here, including a picture:
> (don't worry that it's for OL 2013 - they're all the same)
> <https://www.howtogeek.com/tips/change-the-number-of-lines-shown-for-message-previews-in-outlook-2013/>

Magic. Yes, what I needed was 'off'.

--
Jim the Geordie

Re: Outlook (2021) Headers - a bit OT

<qhmp9i573t9p8b38s4hg7i3f6fsg530tv4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=72222&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#72222

From: non...@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2023 20:11:36 -0500
 by: Char Jackson - Thu, 29 Jun 2023 01:11 UTC

On Thu, 29 Jun 2023 00:07:36 +0100, Jim the Geordie
<jim@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <bj6p9ildb8nh6abvuk1kdi8gu0ca7v42s0@4ax.com>,
>none@none.invalid says...
>>
>> On Wed, 28 Jun 2023 10:34:56 +0100, Jim the Geordie
>> <jim@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> >I sure I should know this, but Outlook headers show two lines of the
>> >message below the subject. How do I set it to remove them.
>> >I would try posting to Outlook groups, but they are a waste of time.
>>
>> In Outlook, (not in Options but rather in the main Outlook window), go
>> to the View menu and look for the item called Message Preview. Click it
>> to expose the drop-down, where you can select a 1-line preview, 2-line
>> preview, 3-line preview, or Off. Sounds like you want to use the Off
>> setting.
>>
>> More info here, including a picture:
>> (don't worry that it's for OL 2013 - they're all the same)
>> <https://www.howtogeek.com/tips/change-the-number-of-lines-shown-for-message-previews-in-outlook-2013/>
>
>Magic. Yes, what I needed was 'off'.

Good deal. Thanks for confirming.