fortune: not found

computers / alt.windows7.general / Re: Changing Firefox Page Color?

SubjectAuthor
* Changing Firefox Page Color?JackT
+* Re: Changing Firefox Page Color?David E. Ross
|`* Re: Changing Firefox Page Color?JackT
| +- Re: Changing Firefox Page Color?Paul in Houston TX
| `- Re: Changing Firefox Page Color?J. P. Gilliver
+* Re: Changing Firefox Page Color?J. P. Gilliver
|`- Re: Changing Firefox Page Color?JackT
+- Re: Changing Firefox Page Color?JJ
+- Re: Changing Firefox Page Color?Quaestiones Manifestae
+- Re: Changing Firefox Page Color?R.Wieser
`- Re: Changing Firefox Page Color?jetjock

1
Changing Firefox Page Color?

<oeitki54ph6gfcn8ubtv6co7q8ivsopvsv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7214&group=alt.windows7.general#7214

From: Jac...@NotYahooz.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Changing Firefox Page Color?
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 18:29:22 -0600
 by: Jac...@NotYahooz.com - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 00:29 UTC

I'm using Firefox 1.15.4.0esr for my web browser.

In XP it was simple as heck to change the color of web pages from the
glaring white to a color of my choice. I can't seem to do it with
Wiindows 7. I have tried the Personalization page with which to do
this, but it doesn't work as it did in XP. It seems I can only do
that with "High Contrast Themes", whatever in the heck that means.
However, the color of the Personalization page did change to my
choice. I also have successfully changed the color of the file
explorer page.

Any suggestions?

Re: Changing Firefox Page Color?

<uimjd5$33btn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7215&group=alt.windows7.general#7215

From: nob...@nowhere.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Changing Firefox Page Color?
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 16:54:58 -0800
 by: David E. Ross - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 00:54 UTC

On 11/10/2023 4:29 PM, JackT@NotYahooz.com wrote:
> I'm using Firefox 1.15.4.0esr for my web browser.
>
> In XP it was simple as heck to change the color of web pages from the
> glaring white to a color of my choice. I can't seem to do it with
> Wiindows 7. I have tried the Personalization page with which to do
> this, but it doesn't work as it did in XP. It seems I can only do
> that with "High Contrast Themes", whatever in the heck that means.
> However, the color of the Personalization page did change to my
> choice. I also have successfully changed the color of the file
> explorer page.
>
> Any suggestions?

Do you want to change only the Firefox window or all windows in general?
For Firefox, I cannot help you. For all windows in Windows 7, try the
following:

1. Go to Personalization.

2. Click on Window Color (the link just below an image of a window).

3. In the Item pulldown list, select Window.

4. To the right of the Item pulldown list, select Color.

5. In the resulting popup (with no title), select a color. If you do
not like any of the 20 colors shown, select the Other button at the
buttom of the popup to get the Color window with 48 colors on the left
and a tool on the right to create your own color.

6. Save and exit the process by selecting a series of OK buttons.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rosde.com/>

X (previously known as Twitter) is the place where truth goes to die.

Re: Changing Firefox Page Color?

<SVsqj4nkCtTlFwk4@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7216&group=alt.windows7.general#7216

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 00:53:56 +0000
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 00:53 UTC

In message <oeitki54ph6gfcn8ubtv6co7q8ivsopvsv@4ax.com> at Fri, 10 Nov
2023 18:29:22, JackT@NotYahooz.com writes
>I'm using Firefox 1.15.4.0esr for my web browser.
>
>In XP it was simple as heck to change the color of web pages from the
>glaring white to a color of my choice. I can't seem to do it with
>Wiindows 7. I have tried the Personalization page with which to do
>this, but it doesn't work as it did in XP. It seems I can only do
>that with "High Contrast Themes", whatever in the heck that means.
>However, the color of the Personalization page did change to my
>choice. I also have successfully changed the color of the file
>explorer page.
>
>Any suggestions?

Last time I changed web pages (a very long time ago!), it was a browser
setting, not a Windows one; IIRR it was called something like "use my
colours, overriding the page settings". That was in an old Firefox. Not
sure where that setting is in new Firefox or Chrome, or even if it
exists.

For changing of the colour of other parts of Windows, the setting menu
is still there, though it's hard to find - and certain themes (I think
particularly Aero ones) cause it to be ignored, or work oddly.

How do you govern a country that seems to have decided that facts are the work
of the devil? - Andy Hamilton on HIGNFY, 2010

Re: Changing Firefox Page Color?

<lkotki5e2cm6u0086vc46ie627jadfeph0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7217&group=alt.windows7.general#7217

From: Jac...@NotYahooz.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 20:11:50 -0600
 by: Jac...@NotYahooz.com - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 02:11 UTC

On Sat, 11 Nov 2023 00:53:56 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver"
<G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:

>In message <oeitki54ph6gfcn8ubtv6co7q8ivsopvsv@4ax.com> at Fri, 10 Nov
>2023 18:29:22, JackT@NotYahooz.com writes
>>I'm using Firefox 1.15.4.0esr for my web browser.
>>
>>In XP it was simple as heck to change the color of web pages from the
>>glaring white to a color of my choice. I can't seem to do it with
>>Wiindows 7. I have tried the Personalization page with which to do
>>this, but it doesn't work as it did in XP. It seems I can only do
>>that with "High Contrast Themes", whatever in the heck that means.
>>However, the color of the Personalization page did change to my
>>choice. I also have successfully changed the color of the file
>>explorer page.
>>
>>Any suggestions?
>
>Last time I changed web pages (a very long time ago!), it was a browser
>setting, not a Windows one; IIRR it was called something like "use my
>colours, overriding the page settings". That was in an old Firefox. Not
>sure where that setting is in new Firefox or Chrome, or even if it
>exists.

It was the browser setting under Tools that I used.

>For changing of the colour of other parts of Windows, the setting menu
>is still there, though it's hard to find - and certain themes (I think
>particularly Aero ones) cause it to be ignored, or work oddly.

Re: Changing Firefox Page Color?

<4ootkiplb53vtnq6ackj1ck6tmivqhgp37@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7218&group=alt.windows7.general#7218

From: Jac...@NotYahooz.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 20:20:02 -0600
 by: Jac...@NotYahooz.com - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 02:20 UTC

On Fri, 10 Nov 2023 16:54:58 -0800, "David E. Ross"
<nobody@nowhere.invalid> wrote:

>On 11/10/2023 4:29 PM, JackT@NotYahooz.com wrote:
>> I'm using Firefox 1.15.4.0esr for my web browser.
>>
>> In XP it was simple as heck to change the color of web pages from the
>> glaring white to a color of my choice. I can't seem to do it with
>> Wiindows 7. I have tried the Personalization page with which to do
>> this, but it doesn't work as it did in XP. It seems I can only do
>> that with "High Contrast Themes", whatever in the heck that means.
>> However, the color of the Personalization page did change to my
>> choice. I also have successfully changed the color of the file
>> explorer page.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>

>Do you want to change only the Firefox window or all windows in general?
> For Firefox, I cannot help you. For all windows in Windows 7, try the
>following:
>
>1. Go to Personalization.
>
>2. Click on Window Color (the link just below an image of a window).
>
>3. In the Item pulldown list, select Window.
>
>4. To the right of the Item pulldown list, select Color.
>
>5. In the resulting popup (with no title), select a color. If you do
>not like any of the 20 colors shown, select the Other button at the
>buttom of the popup to get the Color window with 48 colors on the left
>and a tool on the right to create your own color.
>
>6. Save and exit the process by selecting a series of OK buttons.

It was the Personalization page which allowed me to change the color
of the file explorer and the Personalization page itself.

There must be a way to change the color of Web pages from that glaring
white. Where the bleep is it?

Re: Changing Firefox Page Color?

<uimpuq$34dib$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7219&group=alt.windows7.general#7219

From: Pau...@Houston.Texas (Paul in Houston TX)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 20:46:41 -0600
 by: Paul in Houston TX - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 02:46 UTC

JackT@NotYahooz.com wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Nov 2023 16:54:58 -0800, "David E. Ross"
> <nobody@nowhere.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 11/10/2023 4:29 PM, JackT@NotYahooz.com wrote:
>>> I'm using Firefox 1.15.4.0esr for my web browser.
>>>
>>> In XP it was simple as heck to change the color of web pages from the
>>> glaring white to a color of my choice. I can't seem to do it with
>>> Wiindows 7. I have tried the Personalization page with which to do
>>> this, but it doesn't work as it did in XP. It seems I can only do
>>> that with "High Contrast Themes", whatever in the heck that means.
>>> However, the color of the Personalization page did change to my
>>> choice. I also have successfully changed the color of the file
>>> explorer page.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>>

>> Do you want to change only the Firefox window or all windows in general?
>> For Firefox, I cannot help you. For all windows in Windows 7, try the
>> following:
>>
>> 1. Go to Personalization.
>>
>> 2. Click on Window Color (the link just below an image of a window).
>>
>> 3. In the Item pulldown list, select Window.
>>
>> 4. To the right of the Item pulldown list, select Color.
>>
>> 5. In the resulting popup (with no title), select a color. If you do
>> not like any of the 20 colors shown, select the Other button at the
>> buttom of the popup to get the Color window with 48 colors on the left
>> and a tool on the right to create your own color.
>>
>> 6. Save and exit the process by selecting a series of OK buttons.
>
> It was the Personalization page which allowed me to change the color
> of the file explorer and the Personalization page itself.
>
> There must be a way to change the color of Web pages from that glaring
> white. Where the bleep is it?

Can't quite figure out what you want to do... File explorer is not part
of FireFox.
If you just want to change FF web pages then:
1) back up prefs.js.
2) type about:config in the url bar.
3) type color in the search box.
4) change what ever you would like using RGB HEX color codes.

Re: Changing Firefox Page Color?

<so9ooe52ywiz$.7jgygohsv6m1.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7220&group=alt.windows7.general#7220

From: jj4pub...@outlook.com (JJ)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 10:10:47 +0700
 by: JJ - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 03:10 UTC

On Fri, 10 Nov 2023 18:29:22 -0600, JackT@NotYahooz.com wrote:
> I'm using Firefox 1.15.4.0esr for my web browser.
>
> In XP it was simple as heck to change the color of web pages from the
> glaring white to a color of my choice. I can't seem to do it with
> Wiindows 7. I have tried the Personalization page with which to do
> this, but it doesn't work as it did in XP. It seems I can only do
> that with "High Contrast Themes", whatever in the heck that means.
> However, the color of the Personalization page did change to my
> choice. I also have successfully changed the color of the file
> explorer page.
>
> Any suggestions?

If you want the colors to follow your system settings, tick the "Use system
colors" checkbox.

If you want to use your chosen colors in Firefox setting, untick the "Use
system colors" checkbox.

Choose "Always" for the dropdown selection for any of the above case.

Re: Changing Firefox Page Color?

<qmD3N.25535$OPFb.20487@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7221&group=alt.windows7.general#7221

From: quaestio...@not-for-mail.invalid (Quaestiones Manifestae)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 04:24:53 -0000
 by: Quaestiones Manifest - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 04:24 UTC

JackT@NotYahooz.com wrote:

> I'm using Firefox 1.15.4.0esr for my web browser.

That version number cannot be correct. I presume you must mean version
115.4.0esr. There was no ESR version in the version 1.x days; the
oldest ESR version is from the version 10.x days.

> In XP it was simple as heck to change the color of web pages from the
> glaring white to a color of my choice. I can't seem to do it with
> Wiindows 7. I have tried the Personalization page with which to do
> this, but it doesn't work as it did in XP. It seems I can only do
> that with "High Contrast Themes", whatever in the heck that means.
> However, the color of the Personalization page did change to my
> choice. I also have successfully changed the color of the file
> explorer page.
>
> Any suggestions?

In Firefox, go to: Tools | Settings | General | Colors.
1. Have you changed the setting 'Override the colors specified by the
page with your selections above' from "Only with High Contrast
themes" to "Always"?
2. Have you also unchecked the setting 'Use system colors' and set your
preferred web page colors in Firefox itself?

Re: Changing Firefox Page Color?

<uinb67$3b8h4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7222&group=alt.windows7.general#7222

From: addr...@is.invalid (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 08:40:35 +0100
 by: R.Wieser - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 07:40 UTC

Jack,

> In XP it was simple as heck to change the color of web pages from
> the glaring white to a color of my choice. I can't seem to do it
> with Wiindows 7.

As others have mentioned, you'll have to look into what FF, not the OS,
offers you in that regard.

In my (ancient) version of FF its under tools -> options -> content and
than "fonts & colors" in the right pane.

But do mind yourself that that is just the *default* color of the page, and
will be overruled by whatever the webpage itself sets it to. Just a simple
"bgcolor=#...." in the "body" tag will already do so.

As such FF's setting is rather useless. If you want to override a webpages
color setting you will do something more I'm afraid. Like editing the
webpage itself.

.... which, on my FF v52 on XP, is something the GreaseMonkey add-on is able
to do. :-)

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: Changing Firefox Page Color?

<toa1MNp+QzTlFwBs@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7223&group=alt.windows7.general#7223

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 07:58:54 +0000
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 07:58 UTC

In message <4ootkiplb53vtnq6ackj1ck6tmivqhgp37@4ax.com> at Fri, 10 Nov
2023 20:20:02, JackT@NotYahooz.com writes
[]
>There must be a way to change the color of Web pages from that glaring
>white. Where the bleep is it?

(Others have told you where to look in Firefox.) I'm surprised at your
reference to "that glaring white", as (a) I don't think I've seen a web
page that didn't set its own background colour for a long time, (b) from
what I remember (!), when a page didn't, Firefox defaulted to a light
grey.

Maybe you have already (a) set Firefox to override pages' own colours,
and (b) set the preferred background to white. [Or set a high-contrast
option; that wasn't there last time I was in that part. Do some pages
show light text on black?]

I don't like activity holidays. I like /inactivity/ holidays.
- Miriam Margolyes, RT 2017/4/15-21

Re: Changing Firefox Page Color?

<a17vki5mpjvvdcn2mt7n0s2249t8k075cg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7224&group=alt.windows7.general#7224

From: jetj...@unkown.com (jetjock)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 09:23:13 -0600
 by: jetjock - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 15:23 UTC

On Fri, 10 Nov 2023 18:29:22 -0600, JackT@NotYahooz.com wrote:

>I'm using Firefox 1.15.4.0esr for my web browser.
>
>In XP it was simple as heck to change the color of web pages from the
>glaring white to a color of my choice. I can't seem to do it with
>Wiindows 7. I have tried the Personalization page with which to do
>this, but it doesn't work as it did in XP. It seems I can only do
>that with "High Contrast Themes", whatever in the heck that means.
>However, the color of the Personalization page did change to my
>choice. I also have successfully changed the color of the file
>explorer page.
>
>Any suggestions?

Not sure if this will do what you want, but check out
https://color.firefox.com