From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Further icloud photos questions
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 15:00:38 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:jJDWWUiP1BTs1vXNmYqluL9PoCg=
 by: Chris - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 15:00 UTC

After some tests with downloading photos from icloud I have some further
questions/observations.

Any photos in Albums don't get sync'd. Is it possible to get albums sync'd?
If not, why not?

Seemingly a photo that is marked as "Always keep on this device" isn't
removed locally despite being deleted on icloud via an iphone and removed
from Recently Deleted. The photo needs to "Free Up Space" before it's
actually deleted. Is that expected behaviour? I had thought that anything
deleted from icloud is deleted everywhere.

One comment I have is that it'd be great to have an option to automatically
download all photos as a settings toggle or a one-time option. Doing then
all manually is VERY tedious.

Re: Further icloud photos questions

<16sg3par2dxxz.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=72285&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#72285

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Further icloud photos questions
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 13:47:59 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 18:47 UTC

Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:

> After some tests with downloading photos from icloud I have some further
> questions/observations.
>
> Any photos in Albums don't get sync'd. Is it possible to get albums sync'd?
> If not, why not?
>
> Seemingly a photo that is marked as "Always keep on this device" isn't
> removed locally despite being deleted on icloud via an iphone and removed
> from Recently Deleted. The photo needs to "Free Up Space" before it's
> actually deleted. Is that expected behaviour? I had thought that anything
> deleted from icloud is deleted everywhere.
>
> One comment I have is that it'd be great to have an option to automatically
> download all photos as a settings toggle or a one-time option. Doing then
> all manually is VERY tedious.

https://discussions.apple.com/community/icloud/

Re: Further icloud photos questions

<u80j8p$22n44$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=72298&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#72298

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 09:55:05 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 07:55 UTC

Am 03.07.23 um 17:00 schrieb Chris:

> After some tests with downloading photos from icloud I have some further
> questions/observations.
>
> Any photos in Albums don't get sync'd. Is it possible to get albums sync'd?
> If not, why not?

They are just a collection of links to the original pix.
It wouldn't make sense to copy them to a backup medium.
The albums are virtual.

--
Prudentia potentia est

Re: Further icloud photos questions

<u80rta$2oei$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=72301&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#72301

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 10:22:34 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:ZQegw2tOWgHoYCfRl7uTORmMB84=
 by: Chris - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 10:22 UTC

Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:
> Am 03.07.23 um 17:00 schrieb Chris:
>>

>> After some tests with downloading photos from icloud I have some further
>> questions/observations.
>>
>> Any photos in Albums don't get sync'd. Is it possible to get albums sync'd?
>> If not, why not?
>
> They are just a collection of links to the original pix.
> It wouldn't make sense to copy them to a backup medium.
> The albums are virtual.

But the original pix aren't being synced either.

Re: Further icloud photos questions

<u81387$3ltp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=72303&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#72303

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 08:27:51 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 12:27 UTC

On 7/4/2023 6:22 AM, Chris wrote:
> Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:
>> Am 03.07.23 um 17:00 schrieb Chris:
>>>

>>> After some tests with downloading photos from icloud I have some further
>>> questions/observations.
>>>
>>> Any photos in Albums don't get sync'd. Is it possible to get albums sync'd?
>>> If not, why not?
>>
>> They are just a collection of links to the original pix.
>> It wouldn't make sense to copy them to a backup medium.
>> The albums are virtual.
>
> But the original pix aren't being synced either.

Time for the Apple flavour of Google Takeout ? :-/

This is poor advertising for The Cloud by the way,
for anyones Cloud. Nothing is worse, than not being able
to get your goods, from The Cloud.

Paul

Re: Further icloud photos questions

<u81gp7$254so$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=72306&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#72306

Followup: alt.dev.null
From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 18:18:47 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 16:18 UTC

On 04.07.23 14:27, Paul wrote:
> On 7/4/2023 6:22 AM, Chris wrote:
>> Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:

>>> They are just a collection of links to the original pix.
>>> It wouldn't make sense to copy them to a backup medium.
>>> The albums are virtual.
>>
>> But the original pix aren't being synced either.
>>

> Time for the Apple flavour of Google Takeout ? :-/
>
> This is poor advertising for The Cloud by the way,
> for anyones Cloud. Nothing is worse, than not being able
> to get your goods, from The Cloud.

Idiot.

--
Ut sementem feceris, ita metes (Cicero)