Being schizophrenic is better than living alone.

computers / comp.ai.philosophy / Re: Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn is correct and forms no contradiction. [ Is Ben a Liar or simply woefully ignorant? ]

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Black box halt decider is NOT a partial decider [ H(P,P)==0 isolcott
`* Re: Black box halt decider is NOT a partial decider [ Ĥ.qx(⟨Ĥ⟩,⟨Ĥ⟩) == Ĥ.qn ]olcott
 +* Re: Black box halt decider is NOT a partial decider [olcott
 |`* Re: Black box halt decider is NOT a partial decider [olcott
 | +- Re: Black box halt decider is NOT a partial decider [ Ĥ.qx(⟨Ĥ⟩,⟨Ĥ⟩) == Ĥ.qn ] ( olcott
 | `* Re: Black box halt decider is NOT a partial decider [ Ĥ.qx(⟨Ĥ⟩,⟨Ĥ⟩) == Ĥ.qn ] ( olcott
 |  `* Re: Black box halt decider is NOT a partial decider [ Ĥ.qx(⟨Ĥ⟩,⟨Ĥ⟩) == Ĥ.qn ] ( olcott
 |   +- Re: Black box halt decider is NOT a partial decider [olcott
 |   `* Re: Black box halt decider is NOT a partial decider [ Ĥ.qx(⟨Ĥ⟩,⟨Ĥ⟩) == Ĥ.qn ] ( olcott
 |    +- Re: Black box halt decider is NOT a partial decider [olcott
 |    `* Re: Black box halt decider is NOT a partial decider [ Ĥ.qx(⟨Ĥ⟩,⟨Ĥ⟩) == Ĥ.qn ] ( olcott
 |     `* Re: Black box halt decider is NOT a partial decider [olcott
 |      `* Re: Black box halt decider is NOT a partial decider [olcott
 |       `* Re: Black box halt decider is NOT a partial decider [olcott
 |        `- Re: Black box halt decider is NOT a partial decider [olcott
 `* Re: Black box halt decider is NOT a partial decider [ Ĥ.qx(⟨Ĥ⟩,⟨Ĥ⟩) == Ĥ.qn ]olcott
  `* Re: Black box halt decider is NOT a partial decider [olcott
   `* Re: Black box halt decider is NOT a partial decider [ Ĥ.qx(⟨Ĥ⟩,⟨Ĥ⟩) == Ĥ.qn ] [ olcott
    `* Re: Black box halt decider is NOT a partial decider [olcott
     +- Re: Black box halt decider is NOT a partial decider [olcott
     +* Re: Black box halt decider is NOT a partial decider [olcott
     |`* Re: Black box halt decider is NOT a partial decider [ Ĥ.qx(⟨Ĥ⟩,⟨Ĥ⟩) == Ĥ.qn ] [ olcott
     | `- Re: Black box halt decider is NOT a partial decider [ Ĥ.qx(⟨Ĥ⟩,⟨Ĥ⟩) == Ĥ.qn ] [ olcott
     +- Ĥ.qx(⟨Ĥ⟩,⟨Ĥ⟩) == Ĥ.qn [ succinolcott
     +- Re: Black box halt decider is NOT a partial decider [ Ĥ.qx(⟨Ĥ⟩,⟨Ĥ⟩) == Ĥ.qn ] [ olcott
     `* Re: Black box halt decider is NOT a partial decider [olcott
      `* Re: Black box halt decider is NOT a partial decider [olcott
       +* Re: Black box halt decider is NOT a partial decider [ Ĥ.qx(⟨Ĥ⟩,⟨Ĥ⟩) == Ĥ.qn ] [ olcott
       |`* Re: Black box halt decider is NOT a partial decider [olcott
       | `* Re: Black box halt decider is NOT a partial decider [ Ĥ.qx(⟨Ĥ⟩,⟨Ĥ⟩) == Ĥ.qn ] [ olcott
       |  `* Re: Black box halt decider is NOT a partial decider [olcott
       |   `- Re: Black box halt decider is NOT a partial decider [ Ĥ.qx(⟨Ĥ⟩,⟨Ĥ⟩) == Ĥ.qn ] [ olcott
       `* Re: Black box halt decider is NOT a partial decider [olcott
        +- Re: Black box halt decider is NOT a partial decider [ Ĥ.qx(⟨Ĥ⟩,⟨Ĥ⟩) == Ĥ.qn ] [ olcott
        +- Re: Black box halt decider is NOT a partial decider [olcott
        `* Re: Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn isolcott
         `* Re: Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn isolcott
          +* Re: Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn isolcott
          |`- Re: Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn isolcott
          +- Re: Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn isolcott
          `- Re: Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn isolcott

Pages:12
Re: Black box halt decider is NOT a partial decider [ Ĥ.qx(⟨Ĥ⟩,⟨Ĥ⟩) == Ĥ.qn ] ( Are you game ? )

<epqdnTTrebLeJ5T8nZ2dnUU7-VvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7202&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7202

Subject: Re:_Black_box_halt_decider_is_NOT_a_partial_decider_[
Ĥ.qx(⟨Ĥ⟩,⟨Ĥ⟩) == Ĥ.qn ] ( Are you g
ame_?_)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,comp.software-eng,sci.math.symbolic
<e6OdnW_rdvusk5n8nZ2dnUU7-dPNnZ2d@giganews.com> <875ywrmwsr.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<GtmdnfBrysPrAZn8nZ2dnUU7-L_NnZ2d@giganews.com> <874kcakv3d.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<-M-dnfsXl4WvWpj8nZ2dnUU7-IGdnZ2d@giganews.com> <87im0pa1pp.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<6eOdnaoMUdZN_pr8nZ2dnUU7-cPNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87y29j6c5e.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<p8SdnV8dJu3wq5X8nZ2dnUU7-a3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <875ywn5qfr.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<hJmdnSWv8-zPCJX8nZ2dnUU7-T_NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<3df616af-1e70-413f-8534-fb4ca6204c28n@googlegroups.com>
<_ZudnRCgbJV5oJT8nZ2dnUU7-VXNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<f5026a04-cbe0-4809-82d9-27ecaf1fd1afn@googlegroups.com>
<3IadnZ2CTqZnw5T8nZ2dnUU7-VudnZ2d@giganews.com> <sebtb9$plb$1@dont-email.me>
<dPGdnfUV6vjsBZT8nZ2dnUU7-V3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <sec7nt$333$1@dont-email.me>
<Ea2dnYUpZJLzNpT8nZ2dnUU78LXNnZ2d@giganews.com> <secahd$l3q$1@dont-email.me>
<zqKdnXqSUdOSMpT8nZ2dnUU7-f_NnZ2d@giganews.com> <seccad$o4$1@dont-email.me>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2021 16:50:52 -0500
 by: olcott - Tue, 3 Aug 2021 21:50 UTC

On 8/3/2021 4:26 PM, André G. Isaak wrote:
> On 2021-08-03 15:03, olcott wrote:

>>> No. It isn't. A computation is a free-standing, self-contained piece
>>> of code. When you run H(P, P) the computation P(P) isn't being
>>> computed. It's being evaluated. H(P, P) is the only computation being
>>> run in this case.
>>>

>> So you don't understand how UTMs work.
>
> I'm well aware of how UTMs work. I am also aware that an x86 simulator
> is not the same thing as a UTM.

It is equivalent. In any case my exactly same reasoning directly applies
to the Linz proof.

Ĥ.q0 wM ⊢* Ĥ.qx wM wM ⊢* Ĥ.qy ∞
if M applied to wM halts, and

Ĥ.q0 wM ⊢* Ĥ.qx wM wM ⊢* Ĥ.qn
if M applied to wM does not halt

When Ĥ is applied to its own Turing Machine description ⟨Ĥ⟩ the embedded
halt decider at Ĥ.qx correctly decides that its input ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ never halts.

>>> And your H *doesn't* perform a pure simulation of its input, so we
>>> can't even talk about the simulation as being 'computationally
>>> equivalent' to some computation.
>>>

>> The fact that the first seven instructions of P keep repeating while H
>> is in pure simulation mode proves that H is doing pure simulation mode
>> correctly.
>
> The problem is that your 'pure simulation mode' is a cheat.

That the execution trace of the simulation of P precisely corresponds to
its source-code proves beyond all possible doubt that the pure
simulation of P by H is correct. There is no way to wiggle out of this.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein

Re: Black box halt decider is NOT a partial decider [ Ĥ.qx(⟨Ĥ⟩,⟨Ĥ⟩) == Ĥ.qn ] ( Are you game ? )

<poydnfDdUacVf5T8nZ2dnUU7-e_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7203&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7203

Ĥ.qx(⟨Ĥ⟩,⟨Ĥ⟩) == Ĥ.qn ] ( Are you g
ame_?_)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,comp.software-eng,sci.math.symbolic
<epqdnTTrebLeJ5T8nZ2dnUU7-VvNnZ2d@giganews.com> <secgbs$qm9$1@dont-email.me>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2021 19:42:48 -0500
 by: olcott - Wed, 4 Aug 2021 00:42 UTC

On 8/3/2021 5:35 PM, André G. Isaak wrote:
> On 2021-08-03 15:50, olcott wrote:

>>> I'm well aware of how UTMs work. I am also aware that an x86
>>> simulator is not the same thing as a UTM.
>>>

>> It is equivalent. In any case my exactly same reasoning directly
>> applies to the Linz proof.
>
> No, it isn't equivalent. A UTM takes a description of a *Turing Machine*
> as its input. A description of an x86 program is not a Turing Machine.
> How can two computations which take entirely distinct inputs be equivalent?

Apparently you don't understand computational equivalence either.

>> Ĥ.q0 wM ⊢* Ĥ.qx wM wM ⊢* Ĥ.qy ∞
>> if M applied to wM halts, and
>>
>> Ĥ.q0 wM ⊢* Ĥ.qx wM wM ⊢* Ĥ.qn
>> if M applied to wM does not halt
>>
>> When Ĥ is applied to its own Turing Machine description ⟨Ĥ⟩ the
>> embedded halt decider at Ĥ.qx correctly decides that its input ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩

Specifies a computation that halts.

>> never halts.
>
> Inputs neither halt nor don't halt. Only computations halt. >
> And Ĥ.qx isn't an 'embedded halt decider'. It is a state.

Linz stipulates that it <is> Turing machine H.

>>> The problem is that your 'pure simulation mode' is a cheat.
>>>

>> That the execution trace of the simulation of P precisely corresponds
>> to its source-code proves beyond all possible doubt that the pure
>> simulation of P by H is correct. There is no way to wiggle out of this.
>
> No. It doesn't 'precisely correspond' to its source code because your
> trace *omits* a big chunk of code.

*What details of this paragraph do you feel are incorrect (and why)*

Because H only acts as a pure simulator of its input until after its
halt status decision has been made it has no behavior that can possibly
effect the behavior of its input. Because of this H screens out its own
address range in every execution trace that it examines. This is why we
never see any instructions of H in any execution trace after an input
calls H.

>>> Your H and P *need* to be independent, self-contained programs. They
>>> need to both be compiled and linked separately resulting in two
>>> different executables. This means that the copy of H contained in P
>>> will be *distinct* from program H. It will be at an entirely
>>> different address and any code inside H which tells it to ignore its
>>> 'own code' will not result in it ignoring the H contained in P.
>>>
>>> That also means that any change in the "mode" in which the main H
>>> runs *cannot* have any effect on what the H contained in P does.
>>>
>>> Your 'pure simulation mode' is only valid as a test if it applies
>>> *only* to the behaviour of H, and not to the behaviour of the H
>>> contained inside P.
>>>
>>> If you change what the H inside P does, you are then talking about an
>>> *entirely different* computation which has no bearing on the halting
>>> behaviour of P.
>>>
>>> You can't evaluate whether P halts by considering what some modified
>>> version of P does, which is in effect what you are doing.
>>>
>>> André
>>>

>> That the execution trace of the simulation of P precisely corresponds
>> to its source-code proves beyond all possible doubt that the pure
>> simulation of P by H is correct. There is no way to wiggle out of this.
>
> No. It doesn't 'precisely correspond' to its source code because your
> trace *omits* a big chunk of code.

*What details of this paragraph do you feel are incorrect (and why)*

Because H only acts as a pure simulator of its input until after its
halt status decision has been made it has no behavior that can possibly
effect the behavior of its input. Because of this H screens out its own
address range in every execution trace that it examines. This is why we
never see any instructions of H in any execution trace after an input
calls H.

> Come back and post a complete trace once you've actually set up your H
> and P *properly*. i.e. as two *separate* programs which have been
> compiled and linked two form two separate, *complete* executables where
> P does not call any code contained in H. If there is code in common, it
> must be *duplicated* so that each executable contains its own copy of
> this code.
>
> There is no point discussing your implementation where your H and P are
> contained in a single executable. That's not how 'TM equivalents' work,
> nor is it how the Linz Proof constructs H_Hat, and no conclusions which
> you draw from such a mangled implementation can possibly shed any light
> on the halting problem.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Black box halt decider is NOT a partial decider [ Ĥ.qx(⟨Ĥ⟩,⟨Ĥ⟩) == Ĥ.qn ] [ Only Inputs Count ]

<1ZednUt-qbrXlZf8nZ2dnUU7-QnNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7204&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7204

Ĥ.qx(⟨Ĥ⟩,⟨Ĥ⟩) == Ĥ.qn ] [ Only Inpu
ts_Count_]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,comp.software-eng,sci.math.symbolic
<JNadnQD-Ofr-SJz8nZ2dnUU7-XHNnZ2d@giganews.com> <871r7i6n2u.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<OqKdnROLKJ9CdJz8nZ2dnUU7-avNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87k0la542c.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<1NidnVPZ-NHDl5_8nZ2dnUU7-enNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87sfzw3ao1.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<7oKdnTjx4IC20p78nZ2dnUU7-TvNnZ2d@giganews.com> <875yws36vt.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<j66dnbdHrpV8_p78nZ2dnUU7-aXNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87im0s0ydp.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<Brqdnfehrf0Kj5n8nZ2dnUU7-X3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <87tukblgjy.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<qtGdnfuXs4nFOZn8nZ2dnUU7-cnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <871r7ekugt.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<K5-dndGZo_-VmJv8nZ2dnUU78QvNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87czqxa0zk.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<woudnXWBxPba95r8nZ2dnUU78ffNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87mtpz64sq.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<w5edne8d06OkxpX8nZ2dnUU7-b_NnZ2d@giganews.com> <87bl6f5qvy.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2021 22:23:54 -0500
 by: olcott - Wed, 4 Aug 2021 03:23 UTC

On 8/2/2021 7:11 PM, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
> olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> writes:

>>> No. I've explained many times now why your Ĥ is not at all "the Linz
>>> Ĥ". Do you see any point in my doing so again?
>
> I suspect not. You certainly have not asked a single question that
> could help you to understand why your Ĥ is irrelevant.

>>> The only thing I think you are equivocating on is pretending that Ĥ[0]
>>> is not Ĥ, and it doesn't look as if you've removed that error. I think
>>> you /should/ remove it so that you can be saying something of value
>>> about Ĥ.
>>
>> It is clear from the text that Linz does specify at least three
>> different instances of Ĥ, The TM the TMD input ⟨Ĥ⟩ and a copy of this
>> TMD input.
>
> Still equivocating. Either Ĥ[0] = Ĥ or you are wasting everyone's time.
>
> (This is mathematical equality. Ĥ is a tuple of sets. If Ĥ[0] is not
> exactly identical in every way to Ĥ then I don't care about it. Note
> that I'm not disputing your right, for ease of explanation, to give
> identical things more than one name. But the same permission allows me
> to use any of the names because they name the same thing.)
>
> You are wrong because
>
> Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn
>
> where Linz requires that
>
> Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn
> if (and only if) Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ does not halt.

You have the above incorrectly in these two
M refers to the Turing Machine described by wM.

Ĥ.q0 wM ⊢* Ĥ.qx wM wM ⊢* Ĥ.qy ∞
if M applied to wM halts, and

Ĥ.q0 wM ⊢* Ĥ.qx wM wM ⊢* Ĥ.qn
if M applied to wM does not halt

This is *NOT* the Ĥ that is executed.
This is only the Turing Machine description ⟨Ĥ⟩ input.

In computability theory, the halting problem is the
problem of determining, from a description of an
arbitrary computer program and an input, whether
the program will finish running, or continue to run forever.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halting_problem

The key point is that only the input to the halt decider is within the
scope of the halting problem.

As long as the halt decider correctly decides its input what these same
programs do what they are not inputs to the halt decider make no
difference to the actual halting problem.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein

Re: Black box halt decider is NOT a partial decider [ Ĥ.qx(⟨Ĥ⟩,⟨Ĥ⟩) == Ĥ.qn ] [ Only Inputs Count ]( Honest Dialogue )

<-7OdncIfFpu4M5f8nZ2dnUU7-WvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7206&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7206

Subject: Re:_Black_box_halt_decider_is_NOT_a_partial_decider_[ Ĥ.qx(⟨Ĥ⟩,⟨Ĥ⟩) == Ĥ.qn ] [ Only Inputs_Count_](_Honest_Dialogue_)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,comp.software-eng,sci.math.symbolic
References: <20210719214640.00000dfc@reddwarf.jmc> <87sfzw3ao1.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <7oKdnTjx4IC20p78nZ2dnUU7-TvNnZ2d@giganews.com> <875yws36vt.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <j66dnbdHrpV8_p78nZ2dnUU7-aXNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87im0s0ydp.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <Brqdnfehrf0Kj5n8nZ2dnUU7-X3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <87tukblgjy.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <qtGdnfuXs4nFOZn8nZ2dnUU7-cnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <871r7ekugt.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <K5-dndGZo_-VmJv8nZ2dnUU78QvNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87czqxa0zk.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <woudnXWBxPba95r8nZ2dnUU78ffNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87mtpz64sq.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <w5edne8d06OkxpX8nZ2dnUU7-b_NnZ2d@giganews.com> <87bl6f5qvy.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <1ZednUt-qbrXlZf8nZ2dnUU7-QnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sed35j$od8$1@dont-email.me> <KcOdnSwOTcFujZf8nZ2dnUU7-W_NnZ2d@giganews.com> <sed4b4$tqd$1@dont-email.me> <PKGdnRIK9KVMi5f8nZ2dnUU78V3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <sed5fo$31j$1@dont-email.me> <INCdnRriUbgihJf8nZ2dnUU7-YmdnZ2d@giganews.com> <Ysedne93LONKgJf8nZ2dnUU7-XvNnZ2d@giganews.com> <594cc8cb-cfac-41d4-b77b-b33278758c4an@googlegroups.com>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2021 10:11:33 -0500
 by: olcott - Wed, 4 Aug 2021 15:11 UTC

On 8/4/2021 9:13 AM, Malcolm McLean wrote:
> On Wednesday, 4 August 2021 at 05:55:59 UTC+1, olcott wrote:
>>
>> I am not willing to talk about anything besides page 6 until we have
>> mutual agreement on page 6.
>>
>> https://www.researchgate.net/publication/351947980_Halting_problem_undecidability_and_infinitely_nested_simulation
>>
> We agree that P(P) halts and that H(P, P) reports false (non-halting).
>
> I've suggested that maybe you are trying to argue that P(P)'s halting
> doesn't count, because it is generated by the copy of H inside P.
>
> You've rejected that idea, and insist that H(P,P) has correctly determined
> that P(P) is non-halting.
>
> I don't really think there's anything useful left to say.

In computability theory, the halting problem is the problem
of determining, from a description of an arbitrary computer
program and an input, whether the program will finish running,
or continue to run forever.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halting_problem

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/351947980_Halting_problem_undecidability_and_infinitely_nested_simulation

Because page 6 does prove that H(P,P) does correctly decide that its
input never halts and the halting problem only requires that H decide
its input correctly the fact that H(P,P)==0 is correct does directly
refute the halting problem counter-example conclusion.

That people are unwilling to critique page 6 only shows that they are
unwilling to have an actual honest dialogue.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein

Re: Black box halt decider is NOT a partial decider [ Ĥ.qx(⟨Ĥ⟩,⟨Ĥ⟩) == Ĥ.qn ] [ Only Inputs Count ]

<sv2dnSY1jKlPM5f8nZ2dnUU78eXNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7207&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7207

Ĥ.qx(⟨Ĥ⟩,⟨Ĥ⟩) == Ĥ.qn ] [ Only Inpu
ts_Count_]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,comp.software-eng,sci.math.symbolic
<Ysedne93LONKgJf8nZ2dnUU7-XvNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sed904$iae$1@dont-email.me>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2021 10:14:25 -0500
 by: olcott - Wed, 4 Aug 2021 15:14 UTC

On 8/4/2021 12:36 AM, André G. Isaak wrote:
> On 2021-08-03 22:55, olcott wrote:

>>> I am not willing to talk about anything else.
>>
>> I am not willing to talk about anything besides page 6 until we have
>> mutual agreement on page 6.
>
> That's not going to happen since your argument on page 6 is fallacious.
>
> Read my earlier message <sebtb9$plb$1@dont-email.me>
>
> I see no reason to repeat it.

You simply ignored my correction of your error.
I responded to this message again with words that are more clear.

Simply ignoring this response is sufficient proof that you are
unmotivated to have an actual honest dialogue.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein

Re: Black box halt decider is NOT a partial decider [ Ĥ.qx(⟨Ĥ⟩,⟨Ĥ⟩) == Ĥ.qn ] [ succinct ][ GIGO ]

<j8OdneamG91aK5f8nZ2dnUU7-fvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7208&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7208

Subject: Re:_Black_box_halt_decider_is_NOT_a_partial_decider_[ Ĥ.qx(⟨Ĥ⟩,⟨Ĥ⟩) == Ĥ.qn ] [ succinct ][ GIGO ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,comp.software-eng,sci.math.symbolic
References: <20210719214640.00000dfc@reddwarf.jmc> <87pmv4ab6r.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <JNadnQD-Ofr-SJz8nZ2dnUU7-XHNnZ2d@giganews.com> <871r7i6n2u.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <OqKdnROLKJ9CdJz8nZ2dnUU7-avNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87k0la542c.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <1NidnVPZ-NHDl5_8nZ2dnUU7-enNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87sfzw3ao1.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <7oKdnTjx4IC20p78nZ2dnUU7-TvNnZ2d@giganews.com> <875yws36vt.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <j66dnbdHrpV8_p78nZ2dnUU7-aXNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87im0s0ydp.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <Brqdnfehrf0Kj5n8nZ2dnUU7-X3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <87tukblgjy.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <qtGdnfuXs4nFOZn8nZ2dnUU7-cnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <871r7ekugt.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <K5-dndGZo_-VmJv8nZ2dnUU78QvNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87czqxa0zk.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <53d47ab9-818c-4f40-8e72-bdb76fa416een@googlegroups.com> <87y29l8hhp.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <LZOdnR5aLooNKpv8nZ2dnUU7-SnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87h7g988a6.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2021 10:48:23 -0500
 by: olcott - Wed, 4 Aug 2021 15:48 UTC

On 8/1/2021 11:00 AM, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
> olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> writes:

>>> I case there is some confusion, I mean that PO's Ĥ is not an Ĥ as
>>> specified in Linz. Yes, everything is in accordance with the truth as
>>> laid out in Linz and, indeed, in any textbook.
>>> I point this out to PO because he brings it up. He keeps posting the
>>> specification of what an Ĥ, as Linz specifies it, would do:
>>> Ĥ.q0 wM ⊢* Ĥ.qx wM wM ⊢* Ĥ.qn
>>> if (and only if) M applied to wM does not halt.
>>> He claims (or used to claim) that his Ĥ meets this specification for at
>>> least the one case where wM == ⟨Ĥ⟩:
>>> Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn
>>> if (and only if) Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ does not halt.
>>> To remain relevant, he /must/ keep insisting that his Ĥ meets the
>>> requirements laid out in Linz, if only for this one key input.
>>>

>> Ĥ[0].q0 is taken to mean Ĥ<sub>0</sub>.q0 which is the Turing machine.
>>
>> Ĥ[1].q0 is taken to mean Ĥ<sub>1</sub>.q0 which is the Turing machine
>> description input to Ĥ[0].q0
>>
>> Ĥ[2].q0 is taken to mean Ĥ<sub>2</sub>.q0 which is first copy of the
>> Turing machine description input to Ĥ[0].q0
>>
>> Ĥ[0].q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ[0].qx ⟨Ĥ[1]⟩ ⟨Ĥ[2]⟩ ⊢* Ĥ[0].qn
>
> Ĥ[0] is Ĥ so you are confirming, yet again, that
>
> Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn
>
>> It is neither a contradiction nor a paradox because there are three
>> different instances of Ĥ.
>
> I agree that this is neither a paradox nor a contradiction. It's just a
> fact derived form the logic of how your Ĥ is written (the majority of
> which you are keeping hidden from us).
>
>> Because the only reason that the first instance halts is that Ĥ[0].qx
>> correctly determines that its input cannot possibly ever reach its
>> final state of Ĥ[1].qn or Ĥ[1].qy whether or not the simulating halt
>> decider aborts its simulation of this input, we know with 100%
>> perfectly justified logical certainty that the input to Ĥ[0].qx never
>> halts.
>
> We know, since you keep telling us, that Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn. This clearly
> shows that Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ halts. You can see the final state right

Ĥ.q0 wM ⊢* Ĥ.qx wM wM ⊢* Ĥ.qy ∞
if M applied to wM halts, and

Ĥ.q0 wM ⊢* Ĥ.qx wM wM ⊢* Ĥ.qn
if M applied to wM does not halt

You are using the wrong Ĥ. Linz stipulates that wM is ⟨Ĥ⟩ and M is the
underlying machine of this ⟨Ĥ⟩ therefore M applied to wM means ⟨Ĥ⟩
applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩. We can see that M never reaches its final state.

Because the input to Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ does specify infinitely nested
simulation we can know for sure that M never reaches its final state
whether or not Ĥ.qx aborts its simulation of M.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein

Re: Black box halt decider is NOT a partial decider [ Ĥ.qx(⟨Ĥ⟩,⟨Ĥ⟩) == Ĥ.qn ] [ succinct ]

<Rr6dnWKhH4ejIJf8nZ2dnUU7-Q3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7209&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7209

Subject: Re:_Black_box_halt_decider_is_NOT_a_partial_decider_[ Ĥ.qx(⟨Ĥ⟩,⟨Ĥ⟩) == Ĥ.qn ] [ succinct ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,comp.software-eng,sci.math.symbolic
References: <20210719214640.00000dfc@reddwarf.jmc> <87k0la542c.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <1NidnVPZ-NHDl5_8nZ2dnUU7-enNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87sfzw3ao1.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <7oKdnTjx4IC20p78nZ2dnUU7-TvNnZ2d@giganews.com> <875yws36vt.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <j66dnbdHrpV8_p78nZ2dnUU7-aXNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87im0s0ydp.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <Brqdnfehrf0Kj5n8nZ2dnUU7-X3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <87tukblgjy.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <qtGdnfuXs4nFOZn8nZ2dnUU7-cnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <871r7ekugt.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <K5-dndGZo_-VmJv8nZ2dnUU78QvNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87czqxa0zk.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <woudnXWBxPba95r8nZ2dnUU78ffNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87mtpz64sq.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <w5edne8d06OkxpX8nZ2dnUU7-b_NnZ2d@giganews.com> <87bl6f5qvy.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <xLednaPs_ZSXCZX8nZ2dnUU7-YnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87o8af47y0.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <NsudnY99rthDOJX8nZ2dnUU7-c_NnZ2d@giganews.com> <87zgtx2wxn.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2021 11:15:57 -0500
 by: olcott - Wed, 4 Aug 2021 16:15 UTC

On 8/4/2021 7:53 AM, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
> olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> writes:

>>> (I'm going to ignore errors that I've already pointed out.)

>>> If you want me to comment on that, write it without the errors. It has
>>> two, both of which I've commented on before. If you are sincere, you
>>> will want to write clearly and without errors.

>>> There is no paradox. That Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn when Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩
>>> clearly halts is not paradoxical. It's just not the sort of TM the
>>> proof is talking about. And how could it be? The "Linz Ĥ" is as
>>> illogical as a cat that is a dog.

>>> There is no contradiction or paradox. You Ĥ is just the wrong sort of
>>> TM. The proof you want to "refute" is talking about this sort of Ĥ:
>>> Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn
>>> if (and only if) Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ does not halt.
>>
>> Ĥ.qx correctly decides that its input: ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ never halts
>> Ĥ.qx correctly decides that its input: ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ never halts
>> Ĥ.qx correctly decides that its input: ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ never halts
>> Ĥ.qx correctly decides that its input: ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ never halts
>
> Maybe saying it a couple more times will help. After four times I can
> tell you that it's still wrong. Maybe about a dozen more?
>
> Whether what happens after Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ is correct or not is determined
> by Linz, not by you. And you are clear that
>
> Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn.

Ĥ.q0 wM ⊢* Ĥ.qx wM wM ⊢* Ĥ.qn
if M applied to wM does not halt

As explained in complete detail below:
Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn

because M applied to wM does not halt
where M is Machine_of(⟨Ĥ⟩) (1st param) above
and wM is ⟨Ĥ⟩ the second param above.

Because wM is referring to ⟨Ĥ⟩ and M is referring to the underlying
machine of ⟨Ĥ⟩ the last line above is translated to:
if Machine_of(⟨Ĥ⟩) applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ does not halt

We can know that Machine_of(⟨Ĥ⟩) applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ never reaches its final
state whether or not the embedded halt decider at Ĥ.qx aborts it
simulation of Machine_of(⟨Ĥ⟩), therefore we know that Machine_of(⟨Ĥ⟩)
never halts. Therefore we know that M applied to wM does not halt.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein

Re: Black box halt decider is NOT a partial decider [ Ĥ.qx(⟨Ĥ⟩,⟨Ĥ⟩) == Ĥ.qn ] [ succinct ][ GIGO ]

<pu-dnVqdPMG4iJb8nZ2dnUU7-Q_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7212&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7212

Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,comp.software-eng,sci.math.symbolic
References: <20210719214640.00000dfc@reddwarf.jmc> <871r7i6n2u.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <OqKdnROLKJ9CdJz8nZ2dnUU7-avNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87k0la542c.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <1NidnVPZ-NHDl5_8nZ2dnUU7-enNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87sfzw3ao1.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <7oKdnTjx4IC20p78nZ2dnUU7-TvNnZ2d@giganews.com> <875yws36vt.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <j66dnbdHrpV8_p78nZ2dnUU7-aXNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87im0s0ydp.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <Brqdnfehrf0Kj5n8nZ2dnUU7-X3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <87tukblgjy.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <qtGdnfuXs4nFOZn8nZ2dnUU7-cnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <871r7ekugt.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <K5-dndGZo_-VmJv8nZ2dnUU78QvNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87czqxa0zk.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <53d47ab9-818c-4f40-8e72-bdb76fa416een@googlegroups.com> <87y29l8hhp.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <LZOdnR5aLooNKpv8nZ2dnUU7-SnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87h7g988a6.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <j8OdneamG91aK5f8nZ2dnUU7-fvNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87im0l2gc0.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2021 17:31:01 -0500
 by: olcott - Wed, 4 Aug 2021 22:31 UTC

On 8/4/2021 1:51 PM, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
> olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> writes:

>>> Ĥ[0] is Ĥ so you are confirming, yet again, that
>>> Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn

>>> I agree that this is neither a paradox nor a contradiction. It's just a
>>> fact derived form the logic of how your Ĥ is written (the majority of
>>> which you are keeping hidden from us).

>>> We know, since you keep telling us, that Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn. This clearly
>>> shows that Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ halts. You can see the final state right
>>
>> Ĥ.q0 wM ⊢* Ĥ.qx wM wM ⊢* Ĥ.qy ∞
>> if M applied to wM halts, and
>>
>> Ĥ.q0 wM ⊢* Ĥ.qx wM wM ⊢* Ĥ.qn
>> if M applied to wM does not halt
>>
>> You are using the wrong Ĥ.
>
> First of all, let's be 100% clear: I am talking about what /your/ Ĥ
> does, based in the facts you have let slip about it.
>
>> Linz stipulates that wM is ⟨Ĥ⟩ and M is the underlying machine of this
>> ⟨Ĥ⟩ therefore M applied to wM means ⟨Ĥ⟩ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩.
>
> No. How many years have you been staring at this one page from Linz?
> You still don't know what it says. Do ask me questions, if you'd like
> to know what the text you've been sure is wrong for 17 years really
> says.

....Turing machine halting problem.
Simply stated, the problem is:
given the description of a Turing machine M
given the description of a Turing machine M
given the description of a Turing machine M
given the description of a Turing machine M
given the description of a Turing machine M

and an input w, does M, when started in the initial configuration q0w,
perform a computation that eventually halts?

http://www.liarparadox.org/Peter_Linz_HP(Pages_315-320).pdf

Ĥ.q0 ⟨M⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qx ⟨M⟩ ⟨M⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn
if M applied to ⟨M⟩ does not halt

When ⟨M⟩ = ⟨Ĥ⟩: I have proved that Ĥ ⟨M⟩ transitions to Ĥ.qn because M
never reaches a final state.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein

Re: Black box halt decider is NOT a partial decider [ Ĥ.qx(⟨Ĥ⟩,⟨Ĥ⟩) == Ĥ.qn ] [ succinct ]

<8YKdnVBaxrJ_i5b8nZ2dnUU7-aPNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7213&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7213

Ĥ.qx(⟨Ĥ⟩,⟨Ĥ⟩) == Ĥ.qn ] [ succinct
]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,comp.software-eng,sci.math.symbolic
<Rr6dnWKhH4ejIJf8nZ2dnUU7-Q3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <87czqt2ewt.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2021 17:38:26 -0500
 by: olcott - Wed, 4 Aug 2021 22:38 UTC

On 8/4/2021 2:22 PM, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
> olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> writes:

>>> Maybe saying it a couple more times will help. After four times I can
>>> tell you that it's still wrong. Maybe about a dozen more?
>>>
>>> Whether what happens after Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ is correct or not is determined
>>> by Linz, not by you. And you are clear that
>>> Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn.
>>
>> Ĥ.q0 wM ⊢* Ĥ.qx wM wM ⊢* Ĥ.qn
>> if M applied to wM does not halt
>>
>> As explained in complete detail below:
>> Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn
>
> Yes, please don't tell me the final state yet again. This is not been
> in dispute for some time.
>
>> because M applied to wM does not halt
>> where M is Machine_of(⟨Ĥ⟩) (1st param) above
>> and wM is ⟨Ĥ⟩ the second param above.
>>
>> Because wM is referring to ⟨Ĥ⟩ and M is referring to the underlying
>> machine of ⟨Ĥ⟩ the last line above is translated to: if
>> Machine_of(⟨Ĥ⟩) applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ does not halt
>
> That's convoluted. ⟨Ĥ⟩ is the encoding of Ĥ so to find out what Linz
> expects from Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ we just substitute M = Ĥ and wM = ⟨Ĥ⟩ into
> the above:
>
> Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn
> if Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ does not halt.

It is not the first Ĥ that is being referred to it is *only* the machine
represented by the input ⟨Ĥ⟩ that is being referred to. That machine
never reaches its final state.

Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ[1]⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ[1]⟩ ⟨Ĥ[2]⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn
if Ĥ[1] applied to ⟨Ĥ[2]⟩ does not halt.

That you persistently ignore this distinction really seems to be a
diverge from an honest dialogue.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein

Re: Black box halt decider is NOT a partial decider [ Ĥ.qx(⟨Ĥ⟩,⟨Ĥ⟩) == Ĥ.qn ] [ succinct ]

<lemdnTsHxYH0SZb8nZ2dnUU7-YfNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7215&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7215

Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,comp.software-eng,sci.math.symbolic
References: <20210719214640.00000dfc@reddwarf.jmc> <875yws36vt.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <j66dnbdHrpV8_p78nZ2dnUU7-aXNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87im0s0ydp.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <Brqdnfehrf0Kj5n8nZ2dnUU7-X3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <87tukblgjy.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <qtGdnfuXs4nFOZn8nZ2dnUU7-cnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <871r7ekugt.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <K5-dndGZo_-VmJv8nZ2dnUU78QvNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87czqxa0zk.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <woudnXWBxPba95r8nZ2dnUU78ffNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87mtpz64sq.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <w5edne8d06OkxpX8nZ2dnUU7-b_NnZ2d@giganews.com> <87bl6f5qvy.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <xLednaPs_ZSXCZX8nZ2dnUU7-YnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87o8af47y0.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <NsudnY99rthDOJX8nZ2dnUU7-c_NnZ2d@giganews.com> <87zgtx2wxn.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <Rr6dnWKhH4ejIJf8nZ2dnUU7-Q3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <87czqt2ewt.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <8YKdnVBaxrJ_i5b8nZ2dnUU7-aPNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87y29g23sk.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <no-dnYnca_3rxZb8nZ2dnUU7-YPNnZ2d@giganews.com> <20276f21-9bdc-4e64-9b20-1dc04bf8fa8an@googlegroups.com>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2021 07:07:04 -0500
 by: olcott - Thu, 5 Aug 2021 12:07 UTC

On 8/5/2021 4:02 AM, Malcolm McLean wrote:
> On Thursday, 5 August 2021 at 04:18:21 UTC+1, olcott wrote:
>> On 8/4/2021 6:22 PM, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
>>> olcott <No...@NoWhere.com> writes:
>>>
>>> If the various strings you've chosen to number (badly) are not identical
>>> then your "hat" construction is wrong. Linz's "hat" version makes an
>>> exact copy.
>>>
>> When Bill says that his identical twin brother is not going to go to the
>> store, and then Bill goes to the store this does not make him a liar.
>>
>>> You are free to write ⟨Ĥ[99]⟩ if you like, but I am also free to change
>>> that back to ⟨Ĥ⟩ because they are identical strings. Anything true of
>>>
>> Ĥ is not a string it is a Turing machine.
>> Turing machines are not identical to strings.
>> Ĥ halts the simulation of ⟨Ĥ⟩ on ⟨Ĥ⟩ never reaches its final state
>> whether or not the halt decider at Ĥ.qx stop simulating it.
>>
>> If you want an actual honest dialogue we must have closure on some of
>> the points. You must say what things you agree with and not merely
>> ignore those things that you agree with.
>>
>> Do you understand that the simulation of ⟨Ĥ⟩ on ⟨Ĥ⟩ never reaches its
>> final state whether or not the halt decider at Ĥ.qx stop simulating it?
>>
> H_Hat <H_Hat> halts. So if it is simulated by a UTM, the simulation
> UTM <H_HAT><H_Hat> also halts.

It is very easily proven that ⟨Ĥ⟩ on ⟨Ĥ⟩ cannot possibly ever reach its
final state. If it stops running without reaching is final state then
this does not count as halting.

> But the halt decider embedded in H_Hat is not a UTM. It's a near UTM,
> that has abort logic. Somewhere the abort logic must be triggered,
> which causes H_Hat<H_Hat> to halt.

If it stops running without reaching is final state then this does not
count as halting. It can not possibly reach its final state whether or
not its simulation is ever aborted, therefore it never halts.

> H<H_Hat><H_Hat> also triggers this abort logic, so H<H_Hat><H_Hat>
> reports "false" (non-halting).
>>
>> If you disagree then to prove that you are not simply being disagreeable
>> you must proceed with a dialogue on this single point until we reach
>> mutual agreement. All other points will not be discussed until we reach
>> mutual agreement on this point.
>>
> We agree that H_Hat<H_Hat> halts.
> We agree that H <H_Hat> <H_Hat> reports "false" (non-halting).
>
> Can't you see the obvious?

The mistake that you are making is counting stopping without reaching a
final state as halting, it is not.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein

Re: Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn is correct and forms no contradiction. [ Is Ben a Liar or simply woefully ignorant? ]

<346dnYhkWPUNQ478nZ2dnUU7-UPNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7237&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7237

Subject: Re: Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn is
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,comp.software-eng,sci.math.symbolic
<1ZednUt-qbrXlZf8nZ2dnUU7-QnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87tuk52h0e.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<zcadnTSOD5rtZ5f8nZ2dnUU7-T3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <877dh03l3c.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<Z5adnd038KGXwJb8nZ2dnUU7-I_NnZ2d@giganews.com> <8735rn1qvj.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<goydnfCCIYUWE5H8nZ2dnUU7-e_NnZ2d@giganews.com> <87eeb7z4d1.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<0_Sdnb6Qe8XGOZH8nZ2dnUU7-U3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <87zgtslqpv.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<4JOdnRS2SLR7MYz8nZ2dnUU7-YnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87zgtoizgp.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<Z6ednWt7SpIIv478nZ2dnUU7-WHNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87pmukiwr5.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<5c6dnbn2gMMIsI78nZ2dnUU7-dnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87eeb0iuo1.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 09:28:31 -0500
 by: olcott - Wed, 11 Aug 2021 14:28 UTC

On 8/10/2021 9:26 PM, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
> olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> writes:

>>> Ah, a question about what I'm saying. I can help there. The basis is
>>> what Linz says about Ĥ. He says that (translating to your notation)
>>> Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn
>>> should be the case "if Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ does not halt". But, as you can
>>> see, your Ĥ does halt when applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ (qn is a halting or final
>>> state). Your Ĥ is not doing what it should in this one crucial case.
>>>

>> the Turing machine halting problem. Simply stated, the problem
>> is: given the description of a Turing machine M and an input w,
>> does M, when started in the initial configuration q0w, perform a
>> computation that eventually halts? (Linz:1990:317).
>
> and so on. Same old stuff.

When the challenge to support one's assertion with reasoning is simply
ignored as you are ignoring it right now one can reasonably construe a
deceptive intent.

-- the Turing machine halting problem. Simply stated, the problem
-- is: given the description of a Turing machine M and an input w,
-- does M, when started in the initial configuration q0w, perform a
-- computation that eventually halts? (Linz:1990:317).

PROOF THAT M REFERS TO THE TURING MACHINE DESCRIPTION PARAMETER WM TO H
PROOF THAT M REFERS TO THE TURING MACHINE DESCRIPTION PARAMETER WM TO H
PROOF THAT M REFERS TO THE TURING MACHINE DESCRIPTION PARAMETER WM TO H
PROOF THAT M REFERS TO THE TURING MACHINE DESCRIPTION PARAMETER WM TO H

The input to H will be the description (encoded in some form) of M, say
WM, as well as the input w. (Linz:1990:318)

H.q0 WM w ⊢* H.qn
if M applied to W does not halt.

becomes

H.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* H.qn
if Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ does not halt.

Pages of the Linz text to verify the above quotes in their full context:
http://www.liarparadox.org/Peter_Linz_HP(Pages_315-320).pdf

M STILL REFERS TO THE TURING MACHINE DESCRIPTION PARAMETER WM TO Ĥ.qx
M STILL REFERS TO THE TURING MACHINE DESCRIPTION PARAMETER WM TO Ĥ.qx
M STILL REFERS TO THE TURING MACHINE DESCRIPTION PARAMETER WM TO Ĥ.qx
M STILL REFERS TO THE TURING MACHINE DESCRIPTION PARAMETER WM TO Ĥ.qx

Ĥ.q0 wM ⊢* Ĥ.qx wM wM ⊢* Ĥ.qn
if M applied to wM does not halt

When we know that M refers to the Turing machine specified by the first
wM then when Ĥ transitions to its final state of Ĥ.qn there is no direct
contradiction formed.

Can you admit when you are wrong when you really are wrong?
Can you admit when you are wrong when you really are wrong?
Can you admit when you are wrong when you really are wrong?
Can you admit when you are wrong when you really are wrong?

if M applied to wM does not halt (see above for definition of M)
means when the Turing machine of ⟨Ĥ⟩ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ does not halt.

Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn
Ĥ.qx correctly transitions to its final state when the Ĥ.qx acts as a
UTM and simulates ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ and determines that this input never halts.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein

Re: Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn is correct and forms no contradiction. [ Is Ben a Liar or simply woefully ignorant? ]

<Ja-dneAl3poPeI78nZ2dnUU7-UvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7238&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7238

Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,comp.software-eng,sci.math.symbolic
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 09:58:25 -0500
 by: olcott - Wed, 11 Aug 2021 14:58 UTC

On 8/11/2021 9:28 AM, olcott wrote:
> On 8/10/2021 9:26 PM, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
>> olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> writes:

>>>     the Turing machine halting problem. Simply stated, the problem
>>>     is: given the description of a Turing machine M and an input w,
>>>     does M, when started in the initial configuration q0w, perform a
>>>     computation that eventually halts? (Linz:1990:317).
>>
>> and so on.  Same old stuff.
>>

> When the challenge to support one's assertion with reasoning is simply
> ignored as you are ignoring it right now one can reasonably construe a
> deceptive intent.
>
> -- the Turing machine halting problem. Simply stated, the problem
> -- is: given the description of a Turing machine M and an input w,
> -- does M, when started in the initial configuration q0w, perform a
> -- computation that eventually halts? (Linz:1990:317).
>
> PROOF THAT M REFERS TO THE TURING MACHINE DESCRIPTION PARAMETER WM TO H
> PROOF THAT M REFERS TO THE TURING MACHINE DESCRIPTION PARAMETER WM TO H
> PROOF THAT M REFERS TO THE TURING MACHINE DESCRIPTION PARAMETER WM TO H
> PROOF THAT M REFERS TO THE TURING MACHINE DESCRIPTION PARAMETER WM TO H
>
> The input to H will be the description (encoded in some form) of M, say
> WM, as well as the input w. (Linz:1990:318)
>
> H.q0 WM w ⊢* H.qn
> if M applied to W does not halt.
>
>   becomes
>
> H.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* H.qn
> if Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ does not halt.
>

> Pages of the Linz text to verify the above quotes in their full context:
> http://www.liarparadox.org/Peter_Linz_HP(Pages_315-320).pdf
>
> M STILL REFERS TO THE TURING MACHINE DESCRIPTION PARAMETER WM TO Ĥ.qx
> M STILL REFERS TO THE TURING MACHINE DESCRIPTION PARAMETER WM TO Ĥ.qx
> M STILL REFERS TO THE TURING MACHINE DESCRIPTION PARAMETER WM TO Ĥ.qx
> M STILL REFERS TO THE TURING MACHINE DESCRIPTION PARAMETER WM TO Ĥ.qx
>
> Ĥ.q0 wM ⊢* Ĥ.qx wM wM ⊢* Ĥ.qn
> if M applied to wM does not halt
>
> When we know that M refers to the Turing machine specified by the first
> wM then when Ĥ transitions to its final state of Ĥ.qn there is no direct
> contradiction formed.
>
> Can you admit when you are wrong when you really are wrong?
> Can you admit when you are wrong when you really are wrong?
> Can you admit when you are wrong when you really are wrong?
> Can you admit when you are wrong when you really are wrong?
>
> if M applied to wM does not halt (see above for definition of M)
> means when the Turing machine of ⟨Ĥ⟩ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ does not halt.
>
> Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩  ⊢* Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn
> Ĥ.qx correctly transitions to its final state when the Ĥ.qx acts as a
> UTM and simulates ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ and determines that this input never halts.
>
> https://www.researchgate.net/publication/351947980_Halting_problem_undecidability_and_infinitely_nested_simulation

Ĥ.q0 wM ⊢* Ĥ.qx wM wM ⊢* Ĥ.qy ∞
if M applied to wM halts, and // M refers to the TM of the first wM
parameter to Ĥ.qx

Ĥ.q0 wM ⊢* Ĥ.qx wM wM ⊢* Ĥ.qn
if M applied to wM does not halt // M refers to the TM of the first wM
parameter to Ĥ.qx

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein

Re: Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn is correct and forms no contradiction. [ Is Ben a Liar or simply woefully ignorant? ]

<4sCdnb5sOOQ6t4n8nZ2dnUU7-X3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7239&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7239

Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,comp.software-eng,sci.math.symbolic
<Ja-dneAl3poPeI78nZ2dnUU7-UvNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87fsvggdxz.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 14:53:11 -0500
 by: olcott - Wed, 11 Aug 2021 19:53 UTC

On 8/11/2021 11:10 AM, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
> [...]
>>> a deceptive intent.
>
> A scumbag could construe it that way. Reasonable people could come to
> all sorts of other conclusions.
>
>>> H.q0 WM w ⊢* H.qn
>>> if M applied to W does not halt.
> if M applied to MW does not halt.
>
> (typo corrected)
>
>>>   becomes
>>> H.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* H.qn
>>> if Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ does not halt.
>
> Yes. After a lot a pressing (and I mean lots, over several years!) you
> eventually admitted that H.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ does indeed transition to H.qn.
> You also keep telling us that Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ halts. That's why your H
> (and its associated Ĥ) are wrong but for some reason you can't see this.
>
> You will plainly state that H rejects the string "⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩" which it
> should do if (and only if) Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ does not halt. And you
> will, time and time again, show us exactly how Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ halts.
>
> This should be the end of the matter, but apparently your stating facts
> that show that H and Ĥ are wrong does not mean you know that H and Ĥ are
> wrong. I don't think I know any way to make progress on this.
>
>>> Ĥ.q0 wM ⊢* Ĥ.qx wM wM ⊢* Ĥ.qn
>>> if M applied to wM does not halt
>>> if M applied to wM does not halt (see above for definition of
>>> M) means when the Turing machine of ⟨Ĥ⟩ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ does not halt.
>
> Of course. We all know that. Unless you are pulling a fast one. "the
> Turing machine of ⟨Ĥ⟩" is just Ĥ. Is there a reason you are not simply
> saying "when Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ does not halt"?
>
>>> Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩  ⊢* Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn
>>> Ĥ.qx correctly transitions to its final state when the Ĥ.qx acts as a
>>> UTM and simulates ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ and determines that this input never halts.
>
> Yes, we know the ruse: the computation would not halt if it were not the
> computation that it is. You've been trying to pull off this trick ever
> since the infamous "it wouldn't halt if line 15 was commented out"
> admission. Your Ĥ, however, not being a UTM, has the property that
>
> Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn
>
> when it should not. Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ should eventually transition to qn only
> "if Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ does not halt" (or, as you rather suspiciously
> write "if the Turing machine of ⟨Ĥ⟩ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ does not halt"). But
> you've told us, time and time again, that Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ halts. You
> keep showing us the summary description of it's configuration sequence.
> You keep showing us the final state it transitions to. It's so obvious,
> someone would need about 16 years misunderstanding Turing machines to
> avoid seeing it.
>
>> Ĥ.q0 wM ⊢* Ĥ.qx wM wM ⊢* Ĥ.qy ∞
>> if M applied to wM halts, and // M refers to the TM of the first wM
>> parameter to Ĥ.qx
>>
>> Ĥ.q0 wM ⊢* Ĥ.qx wM wM ⊢* Ĥ.qn
>> if M applied to wM does not halt // M refers to the TM of the first wM
>> parameter to Ĥ.qx
>
> The case you care about has M = Ĥ and wM = ⟨Ĥ⟩ as you've written it out

Ĥ.q0 wM ⊢* Ĥ.qx wM wM ⊢* Ĥ.qy ∞
if M applied to wM halts, and

Ĥ.q0 wM ⊢* Ĥ.qx wM wM ⊢* Ĥ.qn // see highlighted portion of Linz text
to confirm:
if M applied to wM does not halt // M refers to the TM of the first
wM parameter to Ĥ.qx

Turing machine Ĥ is applied to its input ⟨Ĥ⟩. It copies this input such
that this input and the copy of this input become the first and second
parameters to the simulating halt decider at Ĥ.qx. When Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩
decides that the simulation of its first parameter on the input of its
second parameter never halt it correctly transitions to its own final
state of Ĥ.qn.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/351947980_Halting_problem_undecidability_and_infinitely_nested_simulation

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein

Re: Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn is correct and forms no contradiction. [ Is Ben a Liar or simply woefully ignorant? ]

<TdOdnXoxb90094n8nZ2dnUU7-VHNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7240&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7240

Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,comp.software-eng,sci.math.symbolic
<4sCdnb5sOOQ6t4n8nZ2dnUU7-X3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <87pmujfs4o.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 19:26:14 -0500
 by: olcott - Thu, 12 Aug 2021 00:26 UTC

On 8/11/2021 7:01 PM, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
> olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> writes:

>>> Subject: Re: Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn is correct and forms no
>>> contradiction. [ Is Ben a Liar or simply woefully ignorant? ]
>>>
>>> This is a scumbag move. It's also cowardly and disingenuous --
>>> pretending to be coy about your scumbag opinions. I'll leave it
>>> unedited as it says everything readers need to know about your
>>> character.
>
> This is still a scumbag move.

>>> A scumbag could construe it that way. Reasonable people could come to
>>> all sorts of other conclusions.

>>> if M applied to MW does not halt.
>>> (typo corrected)

>>> Yes. After a lot a pressing (and I mean lots, over several years!) you
>>> eventually admitted that H.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ does indeed transition to H.qn.
>>> You also keep telling us that Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ halts. That's why your H
>>> (and its associated Ĥ) are wrong but for some reason you can't see this.
>>>
>>> You will plainly state that H rejects the string "⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩" which it
>>> should do if (and only if) Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ does not halt. And you
>>> will, time and time again, show us exactly how Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ halts.
>>>
>>> This should be the end of the matter, but apparently your stating facts
>>> that show that H and Ĥ are wrong does not mean you know that H and Ĥ are
>>> wrong. I don't think I know any way to make progress on this.
>
> You just read past this explanation of why your H and Ĥ are wrong and
> you decided that you understood everything I'd said, did you? And you
> also decided that nothing in these three paragraphs needs to be
> challenged?

Ĥ.q0 wM ⊢* Ĥ.qx wM wM ⊢* Ĥ.qy ∞
if M applied to wM halts, and

Ĥ.q0 wM ⊢* Ĥ.qx wM wM ⊢* Ĥ.qn
if M applied to wM does not halt

// M refers to the TM of the first wM parameter to Ĥ.qx

Now that you accept that the above is true we can move on to the next
point. My proof must proceed exactly one point at a time an cannot
possibly move to the next point until the current point is fully accepted.

That you believe that the fact that Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ transitions to its
final state of Ĥ.qn and halts nullifies the fact that Ĥ.qx wM wM does
correctly decide that its input never halts is the next point.

It is easier to discuss this with the H(P,P) model of the exact same
thing because with the H(P,P) model we can examine every single detail.

_P()
[00000d02](01) 55 push ebp
[00000d03](02) 8bec mov ebp,esp
[00000d05](03) 8b4508 mov eax,[ebp+08]
[00000d08](01) 50 push eax // push 2nd Param
[00000d09](03) 8b4d08 mov ecx,[ebp+08]
[00000d0c](01) 51 push ecx // push 1st Param
[00000d0d](05) e870feffff call 00000b82 // call H
[00000d12](03) 83c408 add esp,+08
[00000d15](02) 85c0 test eax,eax
[00000d17](02) 7402 jz 00000d1b
[00000d19](02) ebfe jmp 00000d19
[00000d1b](01) 5d pop ebp
[00000d1c](01) c3 ret
Size in bytes:(0027) [00000d1c]

....[00000d0d][00101829][00000d12] e870feffff call 00000b82 // call H

Begin Local Halt Decider Simulation at Machine Address:d02
....[00000d02][002118f1][002118f5] 55 push ebp
....[00000d03][002118f1][002118f5] 8bec mov ebp,esp
....[00000d05][002118f1][002118f5] 8b4508 mov eax,[ebp+08]
....[00000d08][002118ed][00000d02] 50 push eax // push P
....[00000d09][002118ed][00000d02] 8b4d08 mov ecx,[ebp+08]
....[00000d0c][002118e9][00000d02] 51 push ecx // push P
....[00000d0d][002118e5][00000d12] e870feffff call 00000b82 // call H

....[00000d02][0025c319][0025c31d] 55 push ebp
....[00000d03][0025c319][0025c31d] 8bec mov ebp,esp
....[00000d05][0025c319][0025c31d] 8b4508 mov eax,[ebp+08]
....[00000d08][0025c315][00000d02] 50 push eax // push P
....[00000d09][0025c315][00000d02] 8b4d08 mov ecx,[ebp+08]
....[00000d0c][0025c311][00000d02] 51 push ecx // push P
....[00000d0d][0025c30d][00000d12] e870feffff call 00000b82 // call H
Local Halt Decider: Infinite Recursion Detected Simulation Stopped

It is very obvious to people that know the x86 language very well that
while H acts as a pure simulator of P(P) that P cannot possibly stop
running.

The same thing applies to the infinite cycle from Ĥ.qx to Ĥ.q0 while the
simulating halt decider at Ĥ.qx acts as a UTM.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein

Re: Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn is correct and forms no contradiction. [ Halting Problem is solved for Ĥ on ⟨Ĥ⟩ ]

<4NednYbjduF0Hon8nZ2dnUU7-QXNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7242&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7242

Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,comp.software-eng,sci.math.symbolic
<zKudnTxkSrW1xYn8nZ2dnUU7-bnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87r1eze981.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 21:14:00 -0500
 by: olcott - Thu, 12 Aug 2021 02:14 UTC

On 8/11/2021 8:35 PM, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
> olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> writes:

>>> if M applied to MW does not halt.
>>> (typo corrected)

>>> Yes. After a lot a pressing (and I mean lots, over several years!) you
>>> eventually admitted that H.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ does indeed transition to H.qn.
>>> You also keep telling us that Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ halts. That's why your H
>>> (and its associated Ĥ) are wrong but for some reason you can't see this.
>>> You will plainly state that H rejects the string "⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩" which it
>>> should do if (and only if) Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ does not halt. And you
>>> will, time and time again, show us exactly how Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ halts.
>>> This should be the end of the matter, but apparently your stating facts
>>> that show that H and Ĥ are wrong does not mean you know that H and Ĥ are
>>> wrong. I don't think I know any way to make progress on this.

>>> Of course. We all know that. Unless you are pulling a fast one. "the
>>> Turing machine of ⟨Ĥ⟩" is just Ĥ. Is there a reason you are not simply
>>> saying "when Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ does not halt"?
>
> I didn't expect an answer. You may be reserving this phrase as a
> get-out clause for later, so saying what you mean too early will block
> that escape route.

>>> Yes, we know the ruse: the computation would not halt if it were not the
>>> computation that it is. You've been trying to pull off this trick ever
>>> since the infamous "it wouldn't halt if line 15 was commented out"
>>> admission. Your Ĥ, however, not being a UTM, has the property that
>>> Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn
>>> when it should not. Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ should eventually transition to qn only
>>> "if Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ does not halt" (or, as you rather suspiciously
>>> write "if the Turing machine of ⟨Ĥ⟩ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ does not halt").
>>
>> We can see that the above never halts.
>
> We can see that it halts. It's right there in a fact that has been
> undisputed for months:
>
> Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn

The above Ĥ halts only because Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ correctly decides that its
input never halts.

the Turing machine halting problem. Simply stated, the problem
is: given the description of a Turing machine M and an input w,
does M, when started in the initial configuration q0w, perform a
computation that eventually halts? (Linz:1990:317).

Thus the halting problem is solved for this input because the halting
problem only applies to inputs. It does not apply to computations that
are not inputs.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein

Re: Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn is correct and forms no contradiction. [ Ben accepts one point? ] (typo fixed )

<qeedncFT9pmvG4j8nZ2dnUU7-RnNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7244&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7244

Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,comp.software-eng,sci.math.symbolic
<HISdnXl3NPSvnYn8nZ2dnUU7-eHNnZ2d@giganews.com> <878s17fqji.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<yuGdneaGkeN-84n8nZ2dnUU7-cnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87bl62cu25.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 15:36:00 -0500
 by: olcott - Thu, 12 Aug 2021 20:36 UTC

On 8/12/2021 3:00 PM, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
> olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> writes:
>
>> Ĥ.q0 wM ⊢* Ĥ.qx wM wM ⊢* Ĥ.qy ∞
>> if M applied to wM halts, and
>>
>> Ĥ.q0 wM ⊢* Ĥ.qx wM wM ⊢* Ĥ.qn
>> if M applied to wM does not halt
>>
>> // M refers to the TM of the first wM parameter to Ĥ.qx
>>
>> Now that you accept that the above is true...
>
> I don't. It's a garbled formula arising from a silly error on your
> part. I'd like to know where (you think) I said I accept this nonsense
> so I can correct any such impression.
>
>> ... we can move on to the next point. My proof must proceed exactly
>> one point at a time an cannot possibly move to the next point until
>> the current point is fully accepted.
>
> It would be simpler if we worked though the reasons you are wrong
> because there are fewer steps.
>
> You've stated that
>
> Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn
>
> and you accept (at least you keep quoting) that Linz requires that this
> should be the case only if Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ does not halt. QED.
>
>> That you believe that the fact that Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ transitions to
>> its final state of Ĥ.qn and halts nullifies the fact that Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩
>> does correctly decide that its input never halts is the next point.
>
> ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ is a string that encodes a halting computation as shown a few
> lines above. That Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ halts does not "nullify" anything,
> it's just wrong as clearly stated by Linz.

Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn
⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ is not a string that encodes a halting computation.

Ĥ is a TM that halts only because
Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ correctly decides that its input never halts.

When you examine this in its x86utm equivalent of H(P,P) there are no
loopholes that can slip through the cracks because every detail is
explicitly encoded in the x86 language.

When we examine this as Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ there are millions of pages of
Turing machine code that cannot be explicitly specified.

None-the-less the key element of all this is the fact that if we assume
that the simulating halt decider at Ĥ.qx is simply a UTM then it becomes
quite obvious that we have an infinite cycle from Ĥ.qx to Ĥ.q0.

Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn

If we know that we have an infinite cycle then this knowledge all by
itself proves that the simulating halt decider at Ĥ.qx must abort the
simulation of its input which proves that this input never halts.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein