From: gel...@.is.invalid (Gelato)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.internet.wireless
Subject: Can you hotspot and make/receive carrier phone calls at the same time?
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 02:26:54 -0500
sha1:di9sQmVxBeMOtgNxnYdLUg713AY= sha256:Q1MXMK1tyludRlLY8IJqcFktAX0EDOGhieAs9VWLCAQ=
 by: Gelato - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 07:26 UTC

Here's the situation I'm wondering if it will work on the road
(example: traveling in a car far away from any known Wi-Fi AP).

Phone 1 has a SIM with data & voice.
Phone 2 has nothing but Wi-Fi (no SIM).

Phone 1 can be set up as a personal hotspot.
Phone 2 can use its Wi-Fi to connect to that personal hotspot.

Phone 1 has a carrier phone number provided by the carrier.
Phone 2 has a voip-only phone number provided by a second-line app.

Is that a working method to get two phones with two phone
numbers out of a single carrier's connection while on the road?

Re: Can you hotspot and make/receive carrier phone calls at the same time?

<knlcsi5pokhi45eana2cn684a6su1apr7o@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=725&group=alt.internet.wireless#725

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.internet.wireless
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2024 11:48:47 -0500
 by: micky - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 16:48 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Fri, 9 Feb 2024 02:26:54 -0500, Gelato
<gelato@.is.invalid> wrote:

>Here's the situation I'm wondering if it will work on the road
>(example: traveling in a car far away from any known Wi-Fi AP).
>
>Phone 1 has a SIM with data & voice.
>Phone 2 has nothing but Wi-Fi (no SIM).
>
>Phone 1 can be set up as a personal hotspot.
>Phone 2 can use its Wi-Fi to connect to that personal hotspot.
>
>Phone 1 has a carrier phone number provided by the carrier.
>Phone 2 has a voip-only phone number provided by a second-line app.

I wouldn't be surprised. Plus you can test it, and you can do that
before you are on the road. If you have even two friends, or maybe you
only need one, you can test it today. (Used to be you could dial the
operator and have her call you, but I don't think you can do that
anymore. I wonder what happens when you dial 0 now. )