First study the enemy. Seek weakness. -- Romulan Commander, "Balance of Terror", stardate 1709.2

computers / alt.windows7.general / VM Ware?

SubjectAuthor
* VM Ware?gfretwell
+- Re: VM Ware?Auric__
+* Re: VM Ware?Steve Hayes
|`* Re: VM Ware?gfretwell
| `* Re: VM Ware?Bill Bradshaw
|  +- Re: VM Ware?gfretwell
|  `* Re: VM Ware?gfretwell
|   `* Re: VM Ware?Bill Bradshaw
|    +* Re: VM Ware?gfretwell
|    |`* Re: VM Ware?Bill Bradshaw
|    | `- Re: VM Ware?gfretwell
|    `* Re: VM Ware?dyno dan
|     `* Re: VM Ware?Frank Slootweg
|      +- Re: VM Ware?dyno dan
|      `* Re: VM Ware?gfretwell
|       +* Re: VM Ware?Char Jackson
|       |`* Re: VM Ware?Daniel65
|       | +* Re: VM Ware?Paul
|       | |`* Re: VM Ware?Paul
|       | | `- Thank you, Paul and Char (was: Re: VM Ware?)Daniel65
|       | `- Re: VM Ware?Char Jackson
|       `- Re: VM Ware?gfretwell
+- Re: VM Ware?jackpatton
`* Re: VM Ware?jackpatton
 `- Re: VM Ware?Kerr-Mudd, John

1
VM Ware?

<9jgglipdnq7pis500laaj1ulgae5j684pk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7241&group=alt.windows7.general#7241

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: VM Ware?
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 23:55:52 -0500
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Sat, 18 Nov 2023 04:55 UTC

OK I knew about VM when it was running on 360s but I have been gone a
while. Where is the quick start info on VM ware?
I still have a W/98 machines and 2 XP machines. If I could really get
my old stuff (back to DOS) to look native, with printer support and
recognizing ANSI tags , I might make the leap. DOSBOX ain't it.

Re: VM Ware?

<XnsB0C06CAF98657auricauricauricauric@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7252&group=alt.windows7.general#7252

From: not.my.r...@email.address (Auric__)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: VM Ware?
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2023 17:41:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Auric__ - Sat, 18 Nov 2023 17:41 UTC

gfretwell wrote:

> OK I knew about VM when it was running on 360s but I have been gone a
> while. Where is the quick start info on VM ware?
> I still have a W/98 machines and 2 XP machines. If I could really get
> my old stuff (back to DOS) to look native, with printer support and
> recognizing ANSI tags , I might make the leap. DOSBOX ain't it.

What exactly do you need to know? I mean, using VMware Player or Workstation
is pretty straightforward.

--
There are no words. I have never, EVER seen anything like this.
It was sad, it was sick and it was bizarre.

Re: VM Ware?

<a98jli1q8c4dp4sn5vcgf12q95ps33dj56@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7263&group=alt.windows7.general#7263

From: hayes...@telkomsa.net (Steve Hayes)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2023 07:47:40 +0200
 by: Steve Hayes - Sun, 19 Nov 2023 05:47 UTC

On Fri, 17 Nov 2023 23:55:52 -0500, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:

>OK I knew about VM when it was running on 360s but I have been gone a
>while. Where is the quick start info on VM ware?
>I still have a W/98 machines and 2 XP machines. If I could really get
>my old stuff (back to DOS) to look native, with printer support and
>recognizing ANSI tags , I might make the leap. DOSBOX ain't it.

Yup, DOSBOX ain't it.

It's OK for occasional running of old TurboPascal programs, but not
for everyday work.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com

Re: VM Ware?

<e91olih1ass2v3rmpe6qphbe0qnqa87uio@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7307&group=alt.windows7.general#7307

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 20:30:08 -0500
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 01:30 UTC

On Sun, 19 Nov 2023 07:47:40 +0200, Steve Hayes
<hayesstw@telkomsa.net> wrote:

>On Fri, 17 Nov 2023 23:55:52 -0500, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
>
>>OK I knew about VM when it was running on 360s but I have been gone a
>>while. Where is the quick start info on VM ware?
>>I still have a W/98 machines and 2 XP machines. If I could really get
>>my old stuff (back to DOS) to look native, with printer support and
>>recognizing ANSI tags , I might make the leap. DOSBOX ain't it.
>
>Yup, DOSBOX ain't it.
>
>It's OK for occasional running of old TurboPascal programs, but not
>for everyday work.

OK thanks. I think I will just tune up my W/98 machine.
I just don't do it often but I have 2 handy W/3.1 programs that run
OK with 98 and when I need them, not much else will work without
buying something newer and more complicated for my needs.
I may have a work around for DOSBOX but I haven't had a chance to try
it.
I downloaded a copy of Pipe Dream, the old W/3.1 game and that package
gives you a W/3.1 load that runs in DOSBOX on 7. My programs seem to
run OK in that environment. If I can get FAXWORKS going in that W/3. 1
I can use it as a printer in the drop down and create TIF files that I
can open and print with 7.
Aniother problem I have going the hardware only and a native load is
finding a printer that DOS will talk to. My old IBM laser finally died

Re: VM Ware?

<ks4679Ft5muU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7319&group=alt.windows7.general#7319

From: brads...@gci.net (Bill Bradshaw)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 08:03:35 -0900
 by: Bill Bradshaw - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 17:03 UTC

gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Nov 2023 07:47:40 +0200, Steve Hayes
> <hayesstw@telkomsa.net> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 17 Nov 2023 23:55:52 -0500, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
>>
>>> OK I knew about VM when it was running on 360s but I have been gone
>>> a while. Where is the quick start info on VM ware?
>>> I still have a W/98 machines and 2 XP machines. If I could really
>>> get my old stuff (back to DOS) to look native, with printer support
>>> and recognizing ANSI tags , I might make the leap. DOSBOX ain't it.
>>
>> Yup, DOSBOX ain't it.
>>
>> It's OK for occasional running of old TurboPascal programs, but not
>> for everyday work.
>
> OK thanks. I think I will just tune up my W/98 machine.
> I just don't do it often but I have 2 handy W/3.1 programs that run
> OK with 98 and when I need them, not much else will work without
> buying something newer and more complicated for my needs.
> I may have a work around for DOSBOX but I haven't had a chance to try
> it.
> I downloaded a copy of Pipe Dream, the old W/3.1 game and that package
> gives you a W/3.1 load that runs in DOSBOX on 7. My programs seem to
> run OK in that environment. If I can get FAXWORKS going in that W/3. 1
> I can use it as a printer in the drop down and create TIF files that I
> can open and print with 7.
> Aniother problem I have going the hardware only and a native load is
> finding a printer that DOS will talk to. My old IBM laser finally died

Have you looked at VDOS. I run 1 DOS program from Windows 10 Pro 64 bit and
what I like about VDOS is it gives me access to the network printer.
--
<Bill>

Brought to you from Anchorage, Alaska

Re: VM Ware?

<vc70mi9l789if4da19at3skjf6ode6uk09@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7329&group=alt.windows7.general#7329

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2023 22:51:25 -0500
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Fri, 24 Nov 2023 03:51 UTC

On Tue, 21 Nov 2023 08:03:35 -0900, "Bill Bradshaw" <bradshaw@gci.net>
wrote:

>gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
>> On Sun, 19 Nov 2023 07:47:40 +0200, Steve Hayes
>> <hayesstw@telkomsa.net> wrote:

>>> Yup, DOSBOX ain't it.
>>>
>>> It's OK for occasional running of old TurboPascal programs, but not
>>> for everyday work.
>>
>> OK thanks. I think I will just tune up my W/98 machine.
>> I just don't do it often but I have 2 handy W/3.1 programs that run
>> OK with 98 and when I need them, not much else will work without
>> buying something newer and more complicated for my needs.
>> I may have a work around for DOSBOX but I haven't had a chance to try
>> it.
>> I downloaded a copy of Pipe Dream, the old W/3.1 game and that package
>> gives you a W/3.1 load that runs in DOSBOX on 7. My programs seem to
>> run OK in that environment. If I can get FAXWORKS going in that W/3. 1
>> I can use it as a printer in the drop down and create TIF files that I
>> can open and print with 7.
>> Aniother problem I have going the hardware only and a native load is
>> finding a printer that DOS will talk to. My old IBM laser finally died
>
>Have you looked at VDOS. I run 1 DOS program from Windows 10 Pro 64 bit and
>what I like about VDOS is it gives me access to the network printer.

Thanks. I will give that a shot.

Re: VM Ware?

<n1b0mi939a2m1t8p8bg3mn5574i3o2prcd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7330&group=alt.windows7.general#7330

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2023 23:53:59 -0500
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Fri, 24 Nov 2023 04:53 UTC

wrote:

>gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
>> On Sun, 19 Nov 2023 07:47:40 +0200, Steve Hayes
>> <hayesstw@telkomsa.net> wrote:

>>> Yup, DOSBOX ain't it.
>>>
>>> It's OK for occasional running of old TurboPascal programs, but not
>>> for everyday work.
>>
>> OK thanks. I think I will just tune up my W/98 machine.
>> I just don't do it often but I have 2 handy W/3.1 programs that run
>> OK with 98 and when I need them, not much else will work without
>> buying something newer and more complicated for my needs.
>> I may have a work around for DOSBOX but I haven't had a chance to try
>> it.
>> I downloaded a copy of Pipe Dream, the old W/3.1 game and that package
>> gives you a W/3.1 load that runs in DOSBOX on 7. My programs seem to
>> run OK in that environment. If I can get FAXWORKS going in that W/3. 1
>> I can use it as a printer in the drop down and create TIF files that I
>> can open and print with 7.
>> Aniother problem I have going the hardware only and a native load is
>> finding a printer that DOS will talk to. My old IBM laser finally died
>
>Have you looked at VDOS. I run 1 DOS program from Windows 10 Pro 64 bit and
>what I like about VDOS is it gives me access to the network printer.

Could you get W3.1 to run in that box?

Re: VM Ware?

<ksc5e4F2h97U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7331&group=alt.windows7.general#7331

From: brads...@gci.net (Bill Bradshaw)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2023 08:39:15 -0900
 by: Bill Bradshaw - Fri, 24 Nov 2023 17:39 UTC

gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Nov 2023 08:03:35 -0900, "Bill Bradshaw" <bradshaw@gci.net>
> wrote:
>
>> gfretwell@aol.com wrote:

>>> OK thanks. I think I will just tune up my W/98 machine.
>>> I just don't do it often but I have 2 handy W/3.1 programs that run
>>> OK with 98 and when I need them, not much else will work without
>>> buying something newer and more complicated for my needs.
>>> I may have a work around for DOSBOX but I haven't had a chance to
>>> try it.
>>> I downloaded a copy of Pipe Dream, the old W/3.1 game and that
>>> package gives you a W/3.1 load that runs in DOSBOX on 7. My
>>> programs seem to run OK in that environment. If I can get FAXWORKS
>>> going in that W/3. 1 I can use it as a printer in the drop down and
>>> create TIF files that I can open and print with 7.
>>> Aniother problem I have going the hardware only and a native load is
>>> finding a printer that DOS will talk to. My old IBM laser finally
>>> died
>>
>> Have you looked at VDOS. I run 1 DOS program from Windows 10 Pro 64
>> bit and what I like about VDOS is it gives me access to the network
>> printer.
>
> Could you get W3.1 to run in that box?

I run WinXP Pro from VirtualBox where I have installed my old Borland
programming tools. I doubt you could run windows with VDOS. I use VDOS to
run some old MSDOS programs I created and still use such as 1 for preparing
building construction estimates.

<Bill>

Re: VM Ware?

<5tv1mihrvptgbafrj1q79umhaq16ubc35i@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7332&group=alt.windows7.general#7332

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2023 14:56:48 -0500
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Fri, 24 Nov 2023 19:56 UTC

On Fri, 24 Nov 2023 08:39:15 -0900, "Bill Bradshaw" <bradshaw@gci.net>
wrote:

>gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
>> On Tue, 21 Nov 2023 08:03:35 -0900, "Bill Bradshaw" <bradshaw@gci.net>
>> wrote:

>>> Have you looked at VDOS. I run 1 DOS program from Windows 10 Pro 64
>>> bit and what I like about VDOS is it gives me access to the network
>>> printer.
>>
>> Could you get W3.1 to run in that box?
>
>I run WinXP Pro from VirtualBox where I have installed my old Borland
>programming tools. I doubt you could run windows with VDOS. I use VDOS to
>run some old MSDOS programs I created and still use such as 1 for preparing
>building construction estimates.
>
><Bill>

Thanks. I have an old XP machine and I think that runs W/3.1 stuff but
I haven't tried it for years. I seem to remember it worked ... sorta.

Re: VM Ware?

<9ma4mih6oj1t7jtjngdhc1pltkfecpvg9q@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7333&group=alt.windows7.general#7333

From: log...@is.important (dyno dan)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 12:14:21 -0500
 by: dyno dan - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 17:14 UTC

wrote:

>I run WinXP Pro from VirtualBox

So do I, in both win-7 and win-10. Works just fine. I primarily use it
to run a couple of old games I really enjoy but which won't run on
Windows-Later-Than-XP.

-dan z-

--
Protect your civil rights!
Let the politicians know how you feel.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Re: VM Ware?

<kseqi2FnkvcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7334&group=alt.windows7.general#7334

From: brads...@gci.net (Bill Bradshaw)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 08:52:01 -0900
 by: Bill Bradshaw - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 17:52 UTC

gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Nov 2023 08:39:15 -0900, "Bill Bradshaw" <bradshaw@gci.net>
> wrote:
>
>> gfretwell@aol.com wrote:

>>> Could you get W3.1 to run in that box?
>>
>> I run WinXP Pro from VirtualBox where I have installed my old Borland
>> programming tools. I doubt you could run windows with VDOS. I use
>> VDOS to run some old MSDOS programs I created and still use such as
>> 1 for preparing building construction estimates.
>>
>> <Bill>
>>

> Thanks. I have an old XP machine and I think that runs W/3.1 stuff but
> I haven't tried it for years. I seem to remember it worked ... sorta.

One time I installed W3.1, I still have the disks, in VBox and wait until
you see the interface. Windows has come a long ways.

<Bill>

Re: VM Ware?

<ujv9ur.4r0.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7335&group=alt.windows7.general#7335

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: 26 Nov 2023 10:25:28 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Sun, 26 Nov 2023 10:25 UTC

dyno dan <logic@is.important> wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Nov 2023 08:39:15 -0900, "Bill Bradshaw" <bradshaw@gci.net>
> wrote:
>
> >I run WinXP Pro from VirtualBox
>

> So do I, in both win-7 and win-10. Works just fine. I primarily use it
> to run a couple of old games I really enjoy but which won't run on
> Windows-Later-Than-XP.

You say later than XP, which implies they do run on XP. If so, have
you tried to set Compatibility on the .exe file(s)?

As I mentioned elsewhere, I've some very old XP-era software, which
still runs on (Vista, 8.1 and) 11 by setting Compatibility to some
earlier version.

Re: VM Ware?

<bul6mitjdmqo0b662mjhbmhgcbd935dq8u@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7336&group=alt.windows7.general#7336

From: log...@is.important (dyno dan)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 09:38:02 -0500
 by: dyno dan - Sun, 26 Nov 2023 14:38 UTC

On 26 Nov 2023 10:25:28 GMT, Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid>
wrote:

> You say later than XP, which implies they do run on XP. If so, have
>you tried to set Compatibility on the .exe file(s)?

Yes. Being games, I suspect they may be programmed to use specific
routines from Windows in the interest of speed, and that those
routines are no longer there, at least in the same place.

-dan z-

--
Protect your civil rights!
Let the politicians know how you feel.
Join or donate to the NRA today!
http://membership.nrahq.org/default.asp?campaignid=XR014887
(use cut and paste to your browser if necessary)

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Re: VM Ware?

<am87mipdrvpph8js91uu04f8fmng77cb5d@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7337&group=alt.windows7.general#7337

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 15:01:35 -0500
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Sun, 26 Nov 2023 20:01 UTC

On Sat, 25 Nov 2023 08:52:01 -0900, "Bill Bradshaw" <bradshaw@gci.net>
wrote:

>gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
>> On Fri, 24 Nov 2023 08:39:15 -0900, "Bill Bradshaw" <bradshaw@gci.net>
>> wrote:

>>> I run WinXP Pro from VirtualBox where I have installed my old Borland
>>> programming tools. I doubt you could run windows with VDOS. I use
>>> VDOS to run some old MSDOS programs I created and still use such as
>>> 1 for preparing building construction estimates.
>>>
>>> <Bill>
>>>

>> Thanks. I have an old XP machine and I think that runs W/3.1 stuff but
>> I haven't tried it for years. I seem to remember it worked ... sorta.
>
>One time I installed W3.1, I still have the disks, in VBox and wait until
>you see the interface. Windows has come a long ways.
>
><Bill>

That pipe dream game runs in a W/3.1 installation in DOSBOX. If you
just minimize the game you are looking at a 3.1 desk top and any other
program in that directory will run. It just won't find a printer. I
may try an install of FAXWORKS there and just create TIFs that W/7 can
see. I am very familiar with 3.1 tho. I was still running a machine
with it 20 years ago. and I started with it back in the early 90s when
it was the hot new thing.

Re: VM Ware?

<7297milflo132iai9g6ifga1n7lmvr04sd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7338&group=alt.windows7.general#7338

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 15:02:57 -0500
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Sun, 26 Nov 2023 20:02 UTC

wrote:

>dyno dan <logic@is.important> wrote:
>> On Fri, 24 Nov 2023 08:39:15 -0900, "Bill Bradshaw" <bradshaw@gci.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I run WinXP Pro from VirtualBox
>>

>> So do I, in both win-7 and win-10. Works just fine. I primarily use it
>> to run a couple of old games I really enjoy but which won't run on
>> Windows-Later-Than-XP.
>
> You say later than XP, which implies they do run on XP. If so, have
>you tried to set Compatibility on the .exe file(s)?
>
> As I mentioned elsewhere, I've some very old XP-era software, which
>still runs on (Vista, 8.1 and) 11 by setting Compatibility to some
>earlier version.

64 bit Windows still seems to puke on 16 bit programs, even in
compatibility mode.

Re: VM Ware?

<fgg7mipvmlvr4ea6re29kb2m9g8pa1lcmp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7339&group=alt.windows7.general#7339

From: non...@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 16:12:24 -0600
 by: Char Jackson - Sun, 26 Nov 2023 22:12 UTC

On Sun, 26 Nov 2023 15:02:57 -0500, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:

>On 26 Nov 2023 10:25:28 GMT, Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid>
>wrote:
>
>>dyno dan <logic@is.important> wrote:

>>> So do I, in both win-7 and win-10. Works just fine. I primarily use it
>>> to run a couple of old games I really enjoy but which won't run on
>>> Windows-Later-Than-XP.
>>
>> You say later than XP, which implies they do run on XP. If so, have
>>you tried to set Compatibility on the .exe file(s)?
>>
>> As I mentioned elsewhere, I've some very old XP-era software, which
>>still runs on (Vista, 8.1 and) 11 by setting Compatibility to some
>>earlier version.
>
>64 bit Windows still seems to puke on 16 bit programs, even in
>compatibility mode.

But of course. 64-bit Windows can run 64-bit and 32-bit executables, while
32-bit Windows can run 32-bit and 16-bit executables. That capability is called
WoW, or Windows on Windows.

I have a couple of 16-bit programs, including a checkers game, that I run in
32-bit XP, while XP is itself a guest VM under VMware running on 64-bit Windows
10.

Re: VM Ware?

<uk1khg$3mmj5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7340&group=alt.windows7.general#7340

From: danie...@nomail.afraid.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 19:38:08 +1100
 by: Daniel65 - Mon, 27 Nov 2023 08:38 UTC

Char Jackson wrote on 27/11/23 9:12 am:

<Snip>

> But of course. 64-bit Windows can run 64-bit and 32-bit executables,
> while 32-bit Windows can run 32-bit and 16-bit executables. That
> capability is called WoW, or Windows on Windows.

Char, when I brought this HP 6730b 64bit machine it had 32bit Windows7
WOW installed on it. I've since installed, dual boot, a 64bit
MageiaLinux OS.

Are you suggesting (if I had a need) I could run 16bit programs on my
Win7WOW installation on this 64bit machine??
--
Daniel

Re: VM Ware?

<uk3da8$3vogp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7341&group=alt.windows7.general#7341

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 19:47:03 -0500
<fgg7mipvmlvr4ea6re29kb2m9g8pa1lcmp@4ax.com> <uk1khg$3mmj5$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Paul - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 00:47 UTC

On 11/27/2023 3:38 AM, Daniel65 wrote:
> Char Jackson wrote on 27/11/23 9:12 am:
>
> <Snip>
>
>> But of course. 64-bit Windows can run 64-bit and 32-bit executables,
>> while 32-bit Windows can run 32-bit and 16-bit executables. That
>> capability is called WoW, or Windows on Windows.
>
> Char, when I brought this HP 6730b 64bit machine it had 32bit Windows7 WOW installed on it. I've since installed, dual boot, a 64bit MageiaLinux OS.
>
> Are you suggesting (if I had a need) I could run 16bit programs on my Win7WOW installation on this 64bit machine??

If you installed Windows 7 32-bit then you can run 16-bit programs.
I'd demo for you, if I had a known quantified sample of such a thing.

But I don't have a collection of 16 bit stuff.

I don't know enough about 16-bit executables, to know how many
types there are, and what their level-of-compatibility is. It's
important when you test a thing like this, to not be
shooting from the hip.

*******

In the spirit of DIY, I made one.

*******

https://github.com/open-watcom/open-watcom-v2/releases/tag/Current-build

# This creates multiple output target types, and the filename is named after the OS you are using as host.

open-watcom-2_0-c-win-x86.exe [you install into Win7 x86 OS] 121 MB yesterday

This allows you to compile a sample project.

Make a PDF out of this. There is a drawing of a kitchen.

https://web.archive.org/web/20220803041117/https://open-watcom.github.io/open-watcom-v2-wikidocs/c_readme.html

Once you get the IDE installed in the default location C:\WATCOM,
find the binw directory and double click "ide.exe".

Open Project. Navigate to samples\ide\win.wpj (will be the 16 bit version of draw example)

Actions : Make All

Done!

In File Explorer, navigate to C:\WATCOM\samples\ide\win and launch draw16.exe

This should give the bar-bet picture.

*******

I use the LInux file command and the Virustotal site, for potential identification.
Not really conclusive what the hell I've made here :-)

/mnt/d$ file draw16.exe
draw16.exe: MS-DOS executable, NE for MS Windows 3.x (EXE)

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/2f64102537d3393400bb41095a88fc62b0888b144621040f5b16ee9f559b3765?nocache=1

File type Win16 EXE
Magic MS-DOS executable, NE for MS Windows 3.x (EXE)

*******

Here is the bar bet, showing Windows 7 x86, launching (some kind of) 16 bit executable.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/wT4Lycqs/bar-bet-2243.gif

Paul

Re: VM Ware?

<uk3dft$3vogp$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7342&group=alt.windows7.general#7342

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 19:50:05 -0500
<fgg7mipvmlvr4ea6re29kb2m9g8pa1lcmp@4ax.com> <uk1khg$3mmj5$1@dont-email.me>
<uk3da8$3vogp$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Paul - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 00:50 UTC

On 11/27/2023 7:47 PM, Paul wrote:
> On 11/27/2023 3:38 AM, Daniel65 wrote:
>> Char Jackson wrote on 27/11/23 9:12 am:
>>
>> <Snip>
>>
>>> But of course. 64-bit Windows can run 64-bit and 32-bit executables,
>>> while 32-bit Windows can run 32-bit and 16-bit executables. That
>>> capability is called WoW, or Windows on Windows.
>>
>> Char, when I brought this HP 6730b 64bit machine it had 32bit Windows7 WOW installed on it. I've since installed, dual boot, a 64bit MageiaLinux OS.
>>
>> Are you suggesting (if I had a need) I could run 16bit programs on my Win7WOW installation on this 64bit machine??
>
> If you installed Windows 7 32-bit then you can run 16-bit programs.
> I'd demo for you, if I had a known quantified sample of such a thing.
>
> But I don't have a collection of 16 bit stuff.
>
> I don't know enough about 16-bit executables, to know how many
> types there are, and what their level-of-compatibility is. It's
> important when you test a thing like this, to not be
> shooting from the hip.
>
> *******
>
> In the spirit of DIY, I made one.
>
> *******
>
> https://github.com/open-watcom/open-watcom-v2/releases/tag/Current-build
>
> # This creates multiple output target types, and the filename is named after the OS you are using as host.
>
> open-watcom-2_0-c-win-x86.exe [you install into Win7 x86 OS] 121 MB yesterday
>
> This allows you to compile a sample project.
>
> Make a PDF out of this. There is a drawing of a kitchen.
>
> https://web.archive.org/web/20220803041117/https://open-watcom.github.io/open-watcom-v2-wikidocs/c_readme.html
>
> Once you get the IDE installed in the default location C:\WATCOM,
> find the binw directory and double click "ide.exe".
>
> Open Project. Navigate to samples\ide\win.wpj (will be the 16 bit version of draw example)
>
> Actions : Make All
>
> Done!
>
> In File Explorer, navigate to C:\WATCOM\samples\ide\win and launch draw16.exe
>
> This should give the bar-bet picture.
>
> *******
>
> I use the LInux file command and the Virustotal site, for potential identification.
> Not really conclusive what the hell I've made here :-)
>
> /mnt/d$ file draw16.exe
> draw16.exe: MS-DOS executable, NE for MS Windows 3.x (EXE)
>
> https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/2f64102537d3393400bb41095a88fc62b0888b144621040f5b16ee9f559b3765?nocache=1
>
> File type Win16 EXE
> Magic MS-DOS executable, NE for MS Windows 3.x (EXE)
>
> *******
>
> Here is the bar bet, showing Windows 7 x86, launching (some kind of) 16 bit executable.
>
> [Picture]
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/wT4Lycqs/bar-bet-2243.gif

That should be

Here is the bar bet, showing Windows 7 x86, launching (some kind of) 16 bit executable.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/63LvhqSk/bar-bet-2244.gif

Paul

Re: VM Ware?

<53tami97lv1o4lrh75vn87nh0kehiapn3t@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7343&group=alt.windows7.general#7343

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 00:09:13 -0500
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 05:09 UTC

On Sun, 26 Nov 2023 15:02:57 -0500, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:

Thanks all.
I have been playing with the various emulators and I am just going to
go old school. I found an antique Dell in my garage that I was using
as an MP3 player. I am just going to load native W/98 on it and go
back to the last century. It has a real diskette adapter, parallel
port and I think I may already have an IDE drive with 98 on it. I can
load up all the old software I have and run it from there. As long as
I have a diskette drive I can always boot DOS 6.3 and run it.

Re: VM Ware?

<q56bmidcqk4ft9nu5q2ldvrt47dq4lgh6k@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7345&group=alt.windows7.general#7345

From: non...@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
References: <9jgglipdnq7pis500laaj1ulgae5j684pk@4ax.com> <a98jli1q8c4dp4sn5vcgf12q95ps33dj56@4ax.com> <e91olih1ass2v3rmpe6qphbe0qnqa87uio@4ax.com> <ks4679Ft5muU1@mid.individual.net> <n1b0mi939a2m1t8p8bg3mn5574i3o2prcd@4ax.com> <ksc5e4F2h97U1@mid.individual.net> <9ma4mih6oj1t7jtjngdhc1pltkfecpvg9q@4ax.com> <ujv9ur.4r0.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net> <7297milflo132iai9g6ifga1n7lmvr04sd@4ax.com> <fgg7mipvmlvr4ea6re29kb2m9g8pa1lcmp@4ax.com> <uk1khg$3mmj5$1@dont-email.me>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 01:40:45 -0600
 by: Char Jackson - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 07:40 UTC

On Mon, 27 Nov 2023 19:38:08 +1100, Daniel65 <daniel47@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

>Char Jackson wrote on 27/11/23 9:12 am:
>
><Snip>
>
>> But of course. 64-bit Windows can run 64-bit and 32-bit executables,
>> while 32-bit Windows can run 32-bit and 16-bit executables. That
>> capability is called WoW, or Windows on Windows.
>
>Char, when I brought this HP 6730b 64bit machine it had 32bit Windows7
>WOW installed on it. I've since installed, dual boot, a 64bit
>MageiaLinux OS.
>
>Are you suggesting (if I had a need) I could run 16bit programs on my
>Win7WOW installation on this 64bit machine??

Yes, I expect that you can run 16-bit apps on your 32-bit Windows machine.

Thank you, Paul and Char (was: Re: VM Ware?)

<uk4899$7062$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7346&group=alt.windows7.general#7346

From: danie...@nomail.afraid.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Thank you, Paul and Char (was: Re: VM Ware?)
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 19:27:22 +1100
<fgg7mipvmlvr4ea6re29kb2m9g8pa1lcmp@4ax.com> <uk1khg$3mmj5$1@dont-email.me>
<uk3da8$3vogp$1@dont-email.me> <uk3dft$3vogp$2@dont-email.me>
 by: Daniel65 - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 08:27 UTC

Paul wrote on 28/11/23 11:50 am:
> On 11/27/2023 7:47 PM, Paul wrote:
>> On 11/27/2023 3:38 AM, Daniel65 wrote:
>>> Char Jackson wrote on 27/11/23 9:12 am:
>>>
>>> <Snip>

>>> Char, when I brought this HP 6730b 64bit machine it had 32bit
>>> Windows7 WOW installed on it. I've since installed, dual boot, a
>>> 64bit MageiaLinux OS.
>>>
>>> Are you suggesting (if I had a need) I could run 16bit programs
>>> on my Win7WOW installation on this 64bit machine??
>>
>> If you installed Windows 7 32-bit then you can run 16-bit
>> programs. I'd demo for you, if I had a known quantified sample of
>> such a thing.

<Snip>

> Here is the bar bet, showing Windows 7 x86, launching (some kind of)
> 16 bit executable.
>
> [Picture]
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/63LvhqSk/bar-bet-2244.gif
>
> Paul

Handy to know .... might even be useful, sometime. ;-P
--
Daniel

Re: VM Ware?

<mpgvuilelhe6596140d3rq8r9mtgs4v1bp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7827&group=alt.windows7.general#7827

From: jackpat...@astraweb.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 23:07:11 -0400
 by: jackpat...@astraweb.com - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 03:07 UTC

On Fri, 17 Nov 2023 23:55:52 -0500, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:

>OK I knew about VM when it was running on 360s but I have been gone a
>while. Where is the quick start info on VM ware?
>I still have a W/98 machines and 2 XP machines. If I could really get
>my old stuff (back to DOS) to look native, with printer support and
>recognizing ANSI tags , I might make the leap. DOSBOX ain't it.

I ran VM SP 5 on IBM 370 architecture -- a 4341 mainframe......
it is a whole different animal than this pc product -- which i have also run
also if you used CMS, IMO you used the best file-editor available on a mainframe.
(for too many years i missed the "all" command.)
VM - the original LAN in a box.....

Re: VM Ware?

<udcn2jh7s4gjatmnoujfacn1pgpoj799o6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8237&group=alt.windows7.general#8237

From: jackpat...@astraweb.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 09:55:36 -0400
 by: jackpat...@astraweb.com - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 13:55 UTC

On Fri, 17 Nov 2023 23:55:52 -0500, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:

>OK I knew about VM when it was running on 360s but I have been gone a
>while. Where is the quick start info on VM ware?
>I still have a W/98 machines and 2 XP machines. If I could really get
>my old stuff (back to DOS) to look native, with printer support and
>recognizing ANSI tags , I might make the leap. DOSBOX ain't it.

Guessing you are talking about mainframe architecture -- load decks, strung core and all....
VMWARE for PCs is a totally different animal.

I am an ex-sysprog in another lifetime for VM on 370 mainframes (4341)

Re: VM Ware?

<20240426194229.be4ef365f69b1c1d23da79bb@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8240&group=alt.windows7.general#8240

From: adm...@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 19:42:29 +0100
GNU: Terry Pratchett
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 18:42 UTC

On Fri, 26 Apr 2024 09:55:36 -0400
jackpatton@astraweb.com wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Nov 2023 23:55:52 -0500, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
>
> >OK I knew about VM when it was running on 360s but I have been gone a
> >while. Where is the quick start info on VM ware?
> >I still have a W/98 machines and 2 XP machines. If I could really get
> >my old stuff (back to DOS) to look native, with printer support and
> >recognizing ANSI tags , I might make the leap. DOSBOX ain't it.
>
> Guessing you are talking about mainframe architecture -- load decks, strung core and all....
> VMWARE for PCs is a totally different animal.
>
> I am an ex-sysprog in another lifetime for VM on 370 mainframes (4341)

I used VM/CMS for a bit.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.