Subject: Re: Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn is correct_and_forms_no_contradiction.
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,comp.software-eng,sci.math.symbolic
References: <20210719214640.00000dfc@reddwarf.jmc> <87tuk52h0e.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <zcadnTSOD5rtZ5f8nZ2dnUU7-T3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <877dh03l3c.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <Z5adnd038KGXwJb8nZ2dnUU7-I_NnZ2d@giganews.com> <8735rn1qvj.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <goydnfCCIYUWE5H8nZ2dnUU7-e_NnZ2d@giganews.com> <87eeb7z4d1.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <0_Sdnb6Qe8XGOZH8nZ2dnUU7-U3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <87zgtslqpv.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <4JOdnRS2SLR7MYz8nZ2dnUU7-YnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87zgtoizgp.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <Z6ednWt7SpIIv478nZ2dnUU7-WHNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87pmukiwr5.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <5c6dnbn2gMMIsI78nZ2dnUU7-dnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87eeb0iuo1.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <2-adncuMeNUVpY78nZ2dnUU7-fPNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87o8a4ggzf.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <XfGdncywcvvmdI78nZ2dnUU7-fednZ2d@giganews.com> <87v94bfus2.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <GKSdnVVNYtzbx4n8nZ2dnUU7-THNnZ2d@giganews.com> <8735rffoh2.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 21:03:11 -0500
 by: olcott - Thu, 12 Aug 2021 02:03 UTC

On 8/11/2021 8:20 PM, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
> olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> writes:

>>> I see you are in "paste the same text" again mode. If you think I can
>>> help in any way, do let me know.
>>
>> I just noticed that you acknowledged that M refers to the TM
>> represented by the first input parameter to Ĥ.qx wM wM
>
> Did I? Oh dear. It's garbage. Where did I "acknowledge" it? I'd like
> to go back and point out that it's mathematical junk.
>
>> so we can move to the next point:
>>
>> Ĥ.q0 wM ⊢* Ĥ.qx wM wM ⊢* Ĥ.qy ∞
>> if M applied to wM halts, and
>
> This is just a metaphorical math poem. You've taken a mathematical
> statement and substituted for only some on the occurrences of a
> variable. That is a schoolboy error.

That seems to be a very stupid thing to say when it only clarifies and
corrects Linz.

> Maybe you confused agreement with "can't be bothered to go of on a
> tangent about a math poem". I certainly let many meaningless things you
> write slip by unremarked upon. There are not enough hours in the day to
> point out all your mistakes.
>
>> Ĥ.q0 wM ⊢* Ĥ.qx wM wM ⊢* Ĥ.qn // see highlighted portion of Linz text
>> to confirm:
>> if M applied to wM does not halt // M refers to the TM of the first wM
>> parameter to Ĥ.qx
>
> Linz requires that
>
> Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn
> if, and only if, Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ does not halt.

Sure and the Ĥ being referred to is the one that the first param to Ĥ.qx
⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ specifies.

> Unlike your garbage, this makes sense because all occurrences of M and
> the derived wM have now been substituted for actual values -- your Ĥ and
> its encoding.
>
>> Here is the overview of what I am claiming:
>> Turing machine Ĥ is applied to its input ⟨Ĥ⟩.
>
> Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩
>
>> It copies this input such that this input and the copy of this input
>> become the first and second parameters to the simulating halt decider
>> at Ĥ.qx.
>
> ⊢* Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩
>
>> When Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ decides that the simulation of its first parameter
>> on the input of its second parameter never halt it correctly
>> transitions to its own final state of Ĥ.qn.
>
> ⊢* Ĥ.qn
>
> None of which (other than your poor use of technical terms) has been in
> doubt for months.

You sure acted like M only referred to the first Ĥ shown below:
> Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn
> if, and only if, Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ does not halt.

>> It is easy to see that when the halt decider at Ĥ.qx is a simulating
>> halt decider that there is an infinite cycle from Ĥ.qx to Ĥ.q0 that
>> prevents the input from every reaching its final state.
>
> If Ĥ were not written as you have chosen to write it -- if it were
> instead a pure simulator, then
>
> ⊢* Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* ∞

This: Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn
specifies an infinite cycle from Ĥ.qx to Ĥ.q0 while the simulating halt
decider at Ĥ.qx acts as a UTM.

> would be the case. Mathematicians would avoid this messy language and
> the possibility of confusion by not re-using the name Ĥ for both your
> partial decider and one based on pure simulation.

Since it is the very same machine in two different modes of operation
this seems really stupid.

This <is> the same Ĥ that Linz specifies with the extra detail of how
this wildcard state transition works: ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn

> Also, you are wrong about the cycles of states, but that's because you
> have no clue how a TM would simulate another TM.

No one ever investigates this because their paper on the subject would
be millions of pages long if it included a full listing of the source
code. If we add the single feature of random access memory TMs would be
100,000-fold less tedious.

> It's a rabbit hole we
> shouldn't go down, because (a) I don't think you could ever understand
> how a UTM really works, and (b) it's irrelevant since I agree that there
> would be infinite execution if Ĥ were not as it is but were, instead, a
> pure simulator.

Great. This is a big breakthrough.

>> When we define halting as reaching a final state
>
> Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ halts. The computation reaches the final state Ĥ.qn.

Yes. The halting problem is not about programs that halt. It is about
inputs to a halt decider. The input to Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ never halts.

>> so that we can unequivocally divide computations that complete from
>> those that are aborted,
>
> So this is today's equivocation. TM computations either halt or they
> don't halt. None of them "abort".

I am concurrently perfecting my understanding of the technical terms via
Linz. A TM can also be said to halt if there is no transition out of the
current state. Ultimately I only need a clear and unequivocal way to
divide computations that reach their natural conclusion from ones that
have had their simulation aborted.

>> then we know that the input to Ĥ.qx never
>> halts, thus making its halt status decison correct.
>
> Garbled. Inputs don't halt or not halt. Your Ĥ does not meet Linz's
> spec because Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ halts when it should not. You don't get
> to say it does because it halts in what you think of as special way.

That is like saying because we know the liar paradox: "this sentence is
not true" is not true then it must be true.

My purpose of creating the x86utm operating system was so that every
single detail of the halting problem counter-examples can be completely
examined.

Click here to read the complete article