The only thing cheaper than hardware is talk.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Windows 10 Betterbird explort both csv & vcard

SubjectAuthor
* Windows 10 Betterbird explort both csv & vcardCharles Jack Jones
+* Re: Windows 10 Betterbird explort both csv & vcardAllanH
|`* Re: Windows 10 Betterbird explort both csv & vcardCharles Jack Jones
| +- Re: Windows 10 Betterbird explort both csv & vcardDave Roya
| `- Re: Windows 10 Betterbird explort both csv & vcardAllanH
`- Re: Windows 10 Betterbird explort both csv & vcardGary R. Schmidt

1
Windows 10 Betterbird explort both csv & vcard

<u8pgn1$9lme$1@news.samoylyk.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=72456&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#72456

From: charliej...@cjj.com (Charles Jack Jones)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Subject: Windows 10 Betterbird explort both csv & vcard
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 20:45:31 +0200
 by: Charles Jack Jones - Thu, 13 Jul 2023 18:45 UTC

I installed the latest BetterbirdPortable-115.0-bb6.en-US.win64 but I can't
find a description for how to export both a csv and vcard address book.

Can Windows Betterbird export both vcard and csv?
Do you know how to do both?

When I go to BetterBird "Tools|Address Book" and then I hit the little
left-arrow at the bottom left of that address book window there is only an
import button for csv & vcard (and a few other file formats I don't need).

But there is no export button that I can find on that window.

On the left panel is "All Address Books" but when I select it, there's no
option that I can find to export at all, let alone to both csv and vcard.

However, there is also "Personal Address Book" and "Collected Addresses"
which when selected, do each have their own "Export" option which write to
Personal Address Book.{csv,vcf} & Collected Addresses.{csv,vcf}
respectively.

Now what?
I don't know if the formats allow combining multiple files together?
Do they?

Can I concatenate the two vcf and the two csv file respectively?

Is there any way to get Betterbird/Thunderbird to safely do that for me?

Re: Windows 10 Betterbird explort both csv & vcard

<u8pkfe$3nril$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=72457&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#72457

From: nos...@unokix.invalid (AllanH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Subject: Re: Windows 10 Betterbird explort both csv & vcard
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 14:49:02 -0500
 by: AllanH - Thu, 13 Jul 2023 19:49 UTC

On 7/13/2023 1:45 PM, Charles Jack Jones wrote:
> I installed the latest BetterbirdPortable-115.0-bb6.en-US.win64 but I can't
> find a description for how to export both a csv and vcard address book.
>
> Can Windows Betterbird export both vcard and csv?
> Do you know how to do both?
>
> When I go to BetterBird "Tools|Address Book" and then I hit the little
> left-arrow at the bottom left of that address book window there is only an
> import button for csv & vcard (and a few other file formats I don't need).
>
> But there is no export button that I can find on that window.
>
> On the left panel is "All Address Books" but when I select it, there's no
> option that I can find to export at all, let alone to both csv and vcard.
>
> However, there is also "Personal Address Book" and "Collected Addresses"
> which when selected, do each have their own "Export" option which write
> to Personal Address Book.{csv,vcf} & Collected Addresses.{csv,vcf}
> respectively.
>
> Now what?
> I don't know if the formats allow combining multiple files together?
> Do they?
>
> Can I concatenate the two vcf and the two csv file respectively?
>
> Is there any way to get Betterbird/Thunderbird to safely do that for me?

The only Export feature I found was through ""Tools|Export".
"Export accounts, messages, address books, and settings to a ZIP file."

Re: Windows 10 Betterbird explort both csv & vcard

<u8q21e$akdc$1@news.samoylyk.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=72461&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#72461

From: charliej...@cjj.com (Charles Jack Jones)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 01:41:12 +0200
 by: Charles Jack Jones - Thu, 13 Jul 2023 23:41 UTC

On Thu, 13 Jul 2023 14:49:02 -0500, AllanH wrote:

>> Can I concatenate the two vcf and the two csv file respectively?
>>
>> Is there any way to get Betterbird/Thunderbird to safely do that for me?
>
> The only Export feature I found was through ""Tools|Export".
> "Export accounts, messages, address books, and settings to a ZIP file."

I checked Thunderbird and it has two locations for "export" where the one
you found (which is also in Betterbird) is more general but ends up at the
same place as the one I listed (which is only for exporting contacts).

Neither combines the "Personal Address Book" and "Collected Addresses"
which is why I was asking on what's the best way to combine the two files?

My end goal is to start with Betterbird/Thunderbird which has a good list
of email addresses and then to bring it over to the Android phone which has
a good list of phone numbers and somehow tie the email address to the
phone.

That way I'd have one database for both my email on Windows & my phone
where I don't do email on the phone - just texting and telephony.

I'm just trying to find the best way to do that simple task of combining
the email addresses of Thunderbird to the phone numbers on Android.

Re: Windows 10 Betterbird explort both csv & vcard

<u8qrhg$3v5i0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=72464&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#72464

Followup: alt.comp.software.thunderbird,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
From: dav...@dave123royal.com (Dave Roya)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 06:55:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dave Roya - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 06:55 UTC

On 14 Jul 2023 01:41:12 +0200 Charles Jack Jones wrote:

>I'm just trying to find the best way to do that simple task of combining
>the email addresses of Thunderbird to the phone numbers on Android.

Simple?

How many numbers do you have on your phone?
How many do not have email addresses in TB?
For those that do, do the names match - exactly?

I'd probably export the phone contacts to vcf and add the phone number
lines into the TB VCF with a text editor:
TEL;CELL:+441132345XXX
TEL;WORK;CELL:03456100XXX

If there were a lot I'd probably export both into a spreadsheet and sort
them. Maybe even use XL functions like VLOOKUP() to match them.

--
(Remove numerics from email address)

Re: Windows 10 Betterbird explort both csv & vcard

<u8qso2$3v80d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=72465&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#72465

From: nos...@unokix.invalid (AllanH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 02:16:18 -0500
 by: AllanH - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 07:16 UTC

On 7/13/2023 6:41 PM, Charles Jack Jones wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jul 2023 14:49:02 -0500, AllanH wrote:
>
>>> Can I concatenate the two vcf and the two csv file respectively?
>>>
>>> Is there any way to get Betterbird/Thunderbird to safely do that for me?
>>
>> The only Export feature I found was through ""Tools|Export".
>> "Export accounts, messages, address books, and settings to a ZIP file."
>
> I checked Thunderbird and it has two locations for "export" where the one
> you found (which is also in Betterbird) is more general but ends up at the
> same place as the one I listed (which is only for exporting contacts).

I should have read your original post more thoroughly.
Betterbird does have the same exports as Thunderbird, including those
for contacts.

> Neither combines the "Personal Address Book" and "Collected Addresses"
> which is why I was asking on what's the best way to combine the two files?

If you want all your email addresses in one file, like Personal Address
Book, export the Collected Addresses to a file.
Use Import and select the exported file when asked to "Select a file to
import its content".
Select Personal Address Book when asked to "Select where to import the
chosen data".

Re: Windows 10 Betterbird explort both csv & vcard

<g1a7oj-apl.ln1@paranoia.mcleod-schmidt.id.au>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=72466&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#72466

From: grschm...@acm.org (Gary R. Schmidt)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 17:28:16 +1000
 by: Gary R. Schmidt - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 07:28 UTC

On 14/07/2023 04:45, Charles Jack Jones wrote:
> I installed the latest BetterbirdPortable-115.0-bb6.en-US.win64 but I can't
> find a description for how to export both a csv and vcard address book.
>
> Can Windows Betterbird export both vcard and csv?
> Do you know how to do both?
>
> When I go to BetterBird "Tools|Address Book" and then I hit the little
> left-arrow at the bottom left of that address book window there is only an
> import button for csv & vcard (and a few other file formats I don't need).
>
> But there is no export button that I can find on that window.
>
> On the left panel is "All Address Books" but when I select it, there's no
> option that I can find to export at all, let alone to both csv and vcard.
>
> However, there is also "Personal Address Book" and "Collected Addresses"
> which when selected, do each have their own "Export" option which write
> to Personal Address Book.{csv,vcf} & Collected Addresses.{csv,vcf}
> respectively.
>
> Now what?
> I don't know if the formats allow combining multiple files together?
> Do they?
>
> Can I concatenate the two vcf and the two csv file respectively?
>
> Is there any way to get Betterbird/Thunderbird to safely do that for me?

Right-click on the address book you want to export - or left-click the
three dots on the end of its name when it is selected - a menu with
"Export..." will appear.

Works in both TB and BB, recent-ish versions, I have no idea when it
went that way.

Cheers,
Gary B-)