A man is not complete until he is married -- then he is finished.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Cannot get in

SubjectAuthor
* Cannot get inpinnerite
+* Re: Cannot get in😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅
|`* Re: Cannot get inpinnerite
| `* Re: Cannot get inpinnerite
|  +* Re: Cannot get inBig Al
|  |`* Re: Cannot get inChar Jackson
|  | +* Re: Cannot get inFrank Slootweg
|  | |`* Re: Cannot get inVanguardLH
|  | | `- Re: Cannot get inFrank Slootweg
|  | `* Re: Cannot get inpinnerite
|  |  `* Re: Cannot get inpinnerite
|  |   `- Re: Cannot get inPaul
|  +* Re: Cannot get in😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅
|  |`* Re: Cannot get inPaul
|  | `* Re: Cannot get inpinnerite
|  |  +* Re: Cannot get in😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅
|  |  |`- Re: Cannot get inpinnerite
|  |  `* Re: Cannot get inPaul
|  |   `* Re: Cannot get inpinnerite
|  |    `* Re: Cannot get inpinnerite
|  |     `- Re: Cannot get inPaul
|  `- Re: Cannot get inpinnerite
+- Re: Cannot get inVanguardLH
+- Re: Cannot get inT
+- Re: Cannot get inJohn Hall
`* Re: Cannot get inpinnerite
 +- Re: Cannot get inPaul
 `- Re: Cannot get inmechanic

Pages:12
Re: Cannot get in

<20230717141012.8fc88fa1b069acd22ed762ff@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=72483&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#72483

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Cannot get in
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 14:10:12 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Mon, 17 Jul 2023 13:10 UTC

On Mon, 3 Jul 2023 10:56:35 +0100
pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yesterday, following disabling hibernation, I thought I had resolved
> every problem that had been plagfuing me for several weeks.
>
> This morning I cannot get it start up at all.
>
> It reaches a black screen with a single row of small grey "windows"
> near the top and the usual twirling blue circle.
>
> As I write I have tried restarting it while holding down the F8 key in
> the hopes of getting into Safe mode.
>
> It is not promising.

This did get resolved after uninstalling several resently installed items and persisting with updates but it remained unusable because it could not communicate with its host.

In the end, I rebuilt the host (Linux Mint 21.1) and copied the whole Windows 10 folder (nearly 100Gb) and it is all working now.

Regards, Alan

> --
> Linux Mint 21.1 kernel version 5.15.0-76-generic Cinnamon 5.6.8

Re: Cannot get in

<u93i8g$18v7t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=72484&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#72484

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 10:12:31 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 17 Jul 2023 14:12 UTC

On 7/17/2023 9:10 AM, pinnerite wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Jul 2023 10:56:35 +0100
> pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Yesterday, following disabling hibernation, I thought I had resolved
>> every problem that had been plagfuing me for several weeks.
>>
>> This morning I cannot get it start up at all.
>>
>> It reaches a black screen with a single row of small grey "windows"
>> near the top and the usual twirling blue circle.
>>
>> As I write I have tried restarting it while holding down the F8 key in
>> the hopes of getting into Safe mode.
>>
>> It is not promising.
>>
> This did get resolved after uninstalling several resently installed items and persisting with updates but it remained unusable because it could not communicate with its host.
>
> In the end, I rebuilt the host (Linux Mint 21.1) and copied the whole Windows 10 folder (nearly 100Gb) and it is all working now.
>
> Regards, Alan
>
>> --
>> Linux Mint 21.1 kernel version 5.15.0-76-generic Cinnamon 5.6.8

That's a relatively large Win10 folder.

What accounts for that size ?

On Linux, there are things like KDirstat and QDirstat or similar,
which give maps of things like EXT4.

On Windows, you can use SequoiaView for the job. It does a similar
thing for NTFS partitions.

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/7108-sequoiaview.html

If Sequoiaview window will not move or resize, click the square
in the upper right hand corner. Then resume trying to use it.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/XvL6HzD1/sequoiaview.gif

Even with an SSD, it can be a bit pokey reading 300,000 filenames
off your C: drive .

Paul

Re: Cannot get in

<1q5ubymybb8u8$.dlg@example1357.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=72485&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#72485

From: mecha...@example.net (mechanic)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 18:26:45 +0100
 by: mechanic - Mon, 17 Jul 2023 17:26 UTC

On Mon, 17 Jul 2023 14:10:12 +0100, pinnerite wrote:

> This did get resolved after uninstalling several resently
> installed items and persisting with updates but it remained
> unusable because it could not communicate with its host.
>
> In the end, I rebuilt the host (Linux Mint 21.1) and copied the
> whole Windows 10 folder (nearly 100Gb) and it is all working now.
>

> Regards, Alan

How come you have these recurring issues, more than other users it
seems? Some fundamental setup problems?