"The sixties were good to you, weren't they?" -- George Carlin

computers / comp.os.linux.misc / Canon TS202 success; was Re: printer issues HP 1112 apparently dead; considering Canon TS202

SubjectAuthor
* printer issues HP 1112 apparently dead; considering Canon TS202Robert Riches
+* Re: printer issues HP 1112 apparently dead; considering Canon TS20225.BX944
|`* Re: printer issues HP 1112 apparently dead; considering Canon TS202Robert Riches
| `* Re: printer issues HP 1112 apparently dead; considering Canon TS202Andreas Kohlbach
|  `* Re: printer issues HP 1112 apparently dead; considering Canon TS202Robert Riches
|   `- Canon TS202 success; was Re: printer issues HP 1112 apparentlyRobert Riches
+* Re: printer issues HP 1112 apparently dead; considering Canon TS202Bit Twister
|`* Re: printer issues HP 1112 apparently dead; considering Canon TS202TJ
| `* Re: printer issues HP 1112 apparently dead; considering Canon TS202Eli the Bearded
|  `* Re: printer issues HP 1112 apparently dead; considering Canon TS202TJ
|   `* Re: printer issues HP 1112 apparently dead; considering Canon TS202Eli the Bearded
|    +- Re: printer issues HP 1112 apparently dead; considering Canon TS202TJ
|    `- Re: printer issues HP 1112 apparently dead; considering Canon TS202Charlie Gibbs
`- Re: printer issues HP 1112 apparently dead; considering Canon TS202Andreas Kohlbach

1
printer issues HP 1112 apparently dead; considering Canon TS202

<slrnt5cjgb.7vr.spamtrap42@one.localnet>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7212&group=comp.os.linux.misc#7212

From: spamtra...@jacob21819.net (Robert Riches)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: printer issues HP 1112 apparently dead; considering Canon TS202
Date: 13 Apr 2022 04:14:03 GMT
 by: Robert Riches - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 04:14 UTC

My HP Deskjet 1112 appears to have died. When printing anything
with color (or maybe a lot of text) on the page, it prints about
half the page, then /var/log/messages show the USB device as
being removed. I'm taking that as evidence the printer itself is
toast.

Has anyone attempted to use the Canon PIXMA TS202 with a modern
Linux distribution? I'm running Devuan 4 aka Chimaera.

Thanks.

--
Robert Riches
spamtrap42@jacob21819.net

Re: printer issues HP 1112 apparently dead; considering Canon TS202

<M9SdnXov4ukRz8v_nZ2dnUU7-I_NnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7213&group=comp.os.linux.misc#7213

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
From: 25BZ...@nada.net (25.BX944)
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 00:33:15 -0400
 by: 25.BX944 - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 04:33 UTC

On 4/13/22 12:14 AM, Robert Riches wrote:
> My HP Deskjet 1112 appears to have died. When printing anything
> with color (or maybe a lot of text) on the page, it prints about
> half the page, then /var/log/messages show the USB device as
> being removed. I'm taking that as evidence the printer itself is
> toast.
>
> Has anyone attempted to use the Canon PIXMA TS202 with a modern
> Linux distribution? I'm running Devuan 4 aka Chimaera.
>
> Thanks.

Was using a Pixma a few years ago as a network printer.
Went OK.

You might not find the EXACT driver, but there's often
a more "generic" one that'll do most of the usual stuff.

As for your HP ... I'd suggest the large rectangular
repository behind your office building ....

HPs can be pretty damned good - but nothing lasts forever
(except maybe a LaserJet-II or 1022).

Re: printer issues HP 1112 apparently dead; considering Canon TS202

<slrnt5cu9f.m9um.BitTwister@wb.home.test>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7214&group=comp.os.linux.misc#7214

From: BitTwis...@mouse-potato.com (Bit Twister)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 02:18:07 -0500
 by: Bit Twister - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 07:18 UTC

On 13 Apr 2022 04:14:03 GMT, Robert Riches wrote:
> My HP Deskjet 1112 appears to have died. When printing anything
> with color (or maybe a lot of text) on the page, it prints about
> half the page, then /var/log/messages show the USB device as
> being removed. I'm taking that as evidence the printer itself is
> toast.
>
> Has anyone attempted to use the Canon PIXMA TS202 with a modern
> Linux distribution? I'm running Devuan 4 aka Chimaera.

Look into cost of ink replacement on whatever printer you are thinking
about buying. I had an HP inkjet color printer. After some driver update
I had to buy a new black cartridge every year. Some time later and another
driver update I had to have a Color cartridge before it would print
black text only.

Cartridge cost indicated about three year cost would outpace cost
of a new Brother Laser Scanner printer. That was years ago and I am still
using the original cartridge for printing.

Re: printer issues HP 1112 apparently dead; considering Canon TS202

<t36d7v$m8j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7215&group=comp.os.linux.misc#7215

From: TJ...@noneofyour.business (TJ)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 07:47:05 -0400
 by: TJ - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 11:47 UTC

On 4/13/22 03:18, Bit Twister wrote:

> Look into cost of ink replacement on whatever printer you are thinking
> about buying. I had an HP inkjet color printer. After some driver update
> I had to buy a new black cartridge every year. Some time later and another
> driver update I had to have a Color cartridge before it would print
> black text only.
>
> Cartridge cost indicated about three year cost would outpace cost
> of a new Brother Laser Scanner printer. That was years ago and I am still
> using the original cartridge for printing.

A lot depends on what kind of printing you do. If you just do monochrome
printing, then an inexpensive laser is definitely the way to go.
(Personally I'd avoid Canon, because they don't have the best reputation
when it comes to Linux support.)

But if you need high-quality color prints, then a lot of laser printers,
regardless of brand, simply won't do the job.

A few years back I was given a color Laserjet CP1215, a castoff my
nephew rescued when the place where he worked upgraded. USB-only, manual
duplex, easy to install with Mageia's system-config-printer. It works
great for black-only, and that's mostly what I do with it.

Color is a different story. The individual cartridges seem to want to
drift out of alignment, resulting in some strange-looking results. The
HP Toolbox has a tool to put it back into alignment, but it usually
requires several passes and wasted paper. And even when it's close, the
quality isn't what I can get with my 20-year-old Deskjet 5650. Then
again, the color laser prints don't run at the slightest drop of water
like the inkjet prints do.

TJ

Re: printer issues HP 1112 apparently dead; considering Canon TS202

<87a6cogbso.fsf@usenet.ankman.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7216&group=comp.os.linux.misc#7216

From: ank...@spamfence.net (Andreas Kohlbach)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 12:58:47 -0400
sha1:feXyuKRe+5NYIPiWTw9tIgwnOzM=
 by: Andreas Kohlbach - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 16:58 UTC

On 13 Apr 2022 04:14:03 GMT, Robert Riches wrote:

> My HP Deskjet 1112 appears to have died. When printing anything
> with color (or maybe a lot of text) on the page, it prints about
> half the page, then /var/log/messages show the USB device as
> being removed. I'm taking that as evidence the printer itself is
> toast.

Might just be a broken USB cable. Mine for the tablet died over the years
plugging in and out. If you don't have a replace try to figure out if it
is the cable by running

tail -f /var/log/messages

and twist the cable on either side. If you get messages the cable is
broken, or the jack(s) make a bad contact (cleaning).
--
Andreas

Re: printer issues HP 1112 apparently dead; considering Canon TS202

<eli$2204131819@qaz.wtf>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7217&group=comp.os.linux.misc#7217

From: *...@eli.users.panix.com (Eli the Bearded)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 22:51:16 -0000 (UTC)
XFrom: is a real address
Encrypted: double rot-13
 by: Eli the Bearded - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 22:51 UTC

In comp.os.linux.misc, TJ <TJ@noneofyour.business> wrote:
> If you just do monochrome printing, then an inexpensive laser is
> definitely the way to go. (Personally I'd avoid Canon, because they
> don't have the best reputation when it comes to Linux support.)

For BW laser, I recommend Brother. The printer only versions HL-L####
ones (for varying #### and letters after ####) have all worked well for
me on Linux/Mac/Windows. When in doubt, just configure CUPS with a
similarly named printer, selecting the postscript version.

> But if you need high-quality color prints, then a lot of laser
> printers, regardless of brand, simply won't do the job.

Speaking for myself, I do not print enough stuff requiring high-quality
color output to find it economical to maintain that ability at home. I
go get that printed somewhere (Kinkos^WFedex Office typically) when
needed. The same holds for oversize output and oversize scanning. (For
me "oversize" is blueprint size. Small run printing and all scanning at
Fedex Office or Office Max; large run printing at reprographics
(blueprint specialty) shop.)

And I say this as someone who is now at "printers are consumables" stage
of home printing. After the second drum unit, enough has worn out on a
Brother HL-L6200 that just sending the old one to ewaste and buying a
new one is in order.

Elijah
------
doesn't do much scanning, but has a pair of Epsons for that

Re: printer issues HP 1112 apparently dead; considering Canon TS202

<slrnt5f3i3.di7.spamtrap42@one.localnet>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7218&group=comp.os.linux.misc#7218

From: spamtra...@jacob21819.net (Robert Riches)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 14 Apr 2022 03:00:19 GMT
 by: Robert Riches - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 03:00 UTC

On 2022-04-13, 25.BX944 <25BZ494@nada.net> wrote:
> On 4/13/22 12:14 AM, Robert Riches wrote:
>> My HP Deskjet 1112 appears to have died. When printing anything
>> with color (or maybe a lot of text) on the page, it prints about
>> half the page, then /var/log/messages show the USB device as
>> being removed. I'm taking that as evidence the printer itself is
>> toast.
>>
>> Has anyone attempted to use the Canon PIXMA TS202 with a modern
>> Linux distribution? I'm running Devuan 4 aka Chimaera.
>>
>> Thanks.
>

> Was using a Pixma a few years ago as a network printer.
> Went OK.
>
> You might not find the EXACT driver, but there's often
> a more "generic" one that'll do most of the usual stuff.
>
> As for your HP ... I'd suggest the large rectangular
> repository behind your office building ....
>
> HPs can be pretty damned good - but nothing lasts forever
> (except maybe a LaserJet-II or 1022).

Many thanks to everyone who replied. For good measure, I plan to
re-test the HP inkjet from a Raspberry Pi and a new USB cable,
just in case it's not the printer itself.

To that list of HPs that maybe last forever, I'd nominate the
ScanJet 6300C purchased circa 2000 and still working--though I
haven't used the SCSI port on the back since I retired my Alpha
machine in 2003.

Thanks.

--
Robert Riches
spamtrap42@jacob21819.net

Re: printer issues HP 1112 apparently dead; considering Canon TS202

<87fsmge1r5.fsf@usenet.ankman.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7219&group=comp.os.linux.misc#7219

From: ank...@spamfence.net (Andreas Kohlbach)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 00:18:38 -0400
 by: Andreas Kohlbach - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 04:18 UTC

On 14 Apr 2022 03:00:19 GMT, Robert Riches wrote:

> Many thanks to everyone who replied. For good measure, I plan to
> re-test the HP inkjet from a Raspberry Pi and a new USB cable,
> just in case it's not the printer itself.

Don't forget to report back here then. :-)

> To that list of HPs that maybe last forever, I'd nominate the
> ScanJet 6300C purchased circa 2000 and still working--though I
> haven't used the SCSI port on the back since I retired my Alpha
> machine in 2003.

Found a HP Office Jet 6600 (from 2011) on the street two years
ago. Assumed it was dead but always wanted to fiddle with a printer on
Linux (have no real use for a printer). Print head was jammed but I was
able to get it free. To my amazement the printer worked and the
cartridges were about 80% full.

Still works today, but I rarely use it (20 pages a year). Suppose cleaning
the heads ever so often wastes more ink than printing itself.
--
Andreas

Re: printer issues HP 1112 apparently dead; considering Canon TS202

<t393cm$svf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7220&group=comp.os.linux.misc#7220

From: TJ...@noneofyour.business (TJ)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 08:17:20 -0400
 by: TJ - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 12:17 UTC

On 4/13/22 18:51, Eli the Bearded wrote:

> And I say this as someone who is now at "printers are consumables" stage
> of home printing. After the second drum unit, enough has worn out on a
> Brother HL-L6200 that just sending the old one to ewaste and buying a
> new one is in order.

I get the "printers are consumable" part.

A couple of years ago my venerable Officejet 6110 gave up on me. I was
only using the scanner by then, and that's the part that broke down. I
need a scanner, so I went looking for a stand-alone unit.

I soon discovered that the least expensive way to get a scanner is to
buy one with a printer attached. I wound up with a refurbished HP Envy
Photo 7858 for around $70US. Easy to install in Mageia, works great as a
scanner. So far I haven't printed enough with it to really be able to
evaluate it in that capacity.

TJ

Re: printer issues HP 1112 apparently dead; considering Canon TS202

<eli$2204152315@qaz.wtf>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7222&group=comp.os.linux.misc#7222

From: *...@eli.users.panix.com (Eli the Bearded)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 03:25:35 -0000 (UTC)
XFrom: is a real address
Encrypted: double rot-13
 by: Eli the Bearded - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 03:25 UTC

In comp.os.linux.misc, TJ <TJ@noneofyour.business> wrote:
> A couple of years ago my venerable Officejet 6110 gave up on me. I was
> only using the scanner by then, and that's the part that broke down. I
> need a scanner, so I went looking for a stand-alone unit.
>
> I soon discovered that the least expensive way to get a scanner is to
> buy one with a printer attached. I wound up with a refurbished HP Envy
> Photo 7858 for around $70US. Easy to install in Mageia, works great as a
> scanner. So far I haven't printed enough with it to really be able to
> evaluate it in that capacity.

I needed a new scanner ("need" in the sense of "really wanted") this
year because I had to scan some 200+ pages of 8x11 legal documents. My
existing scanner could do it, but it is old and slow. I ended up getting
an Epson ES-50. I spent about $100 on it, and I don't regret it. It's a
little flimsy, but it is TINY. No way I'd want whole damn printer sized
thing, but if you have the space and are that money conscious, sure go
for it.

The ES-50 is a "travel" scanner. It has a sheet feed, but no tray. Size
of the entire thing is about 2" x 1.5" x 11" and it takes paper up to
8.5" wide by who knows how long. Receipt scanning is an option, and the
max is at least 72". I have scanned a couple of "legal size" (8.5" x
14") but not really tested the length. Much, much faster than my old
Epson. But I'll keep that clunker around because it has the
"transparency" option for scanning slides and negatives with a
backlight.

Elijah
------
uses it on Linux with Vuescan software

Re: printer issues HP 1112 apparently dead; considering Canon TS202

<slrnt5kf96.4lr.spamtrap42@one.localnet>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7223&group=comp.os.linux.misc#7223

From: spamtra...@jacob21819.net (Robert Riches)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 16 Apr 2022 03:51:02 GMT
 by: Robert Riches - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 03:51 UTC

On 2022-04-14, Andreas Kohlbach <ank@spamfence.net> wrote:
> On 14 Apr 2022 03:00:19 GMT, Robert Riches wrote:
>>
>> Many thanks to everyone who replied. For good measure, I plan to
>> re-test the HP inkjet from a Raspberry Pi and a new USB cable,
>> just in case it's not the printer itself.
>
> Don't forget to report back here then. :-)

Of course! :-)

With that printer connected to a Raspberry Pi with a new USB
cable, it still does exactly what it did with the old cable and
the original computer. I even reseated the connection between
the 120VAC power cord and the back of the printer. (The PSU is a
bit loose in the printer chassis, so I had suspected the power
cord's connect was falling out.) With the Raspberry Pi, it quit
even sooner on the page on the CUPS test page. Fortunately, I
know exactly where the electronics recycling place is over on
Wynooski.

Thanks again to everyone for the helpful replies.

--
Robert Riches
spamtrap42@jacob21819.net

Re: printer issues HP 1112 apparently dead; considering Canon TS202

<t3edda$jcd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7225&group=comp.os.linux.misc#7225

From: TJ...@noneofyour.business (TJ)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 08:38:59 -0400
 by: TJ - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 12:38 UTC

On 4/15/22 23:25, Eli the Bearded wrote:
> In comp.os.linux.misc, TJ <TJ@noneofyour.business> wrote:
>> A couple of years ago my venerable Officejet 6110 gave up on me. I was
>> only using the scanner by then, and that's the part that broke down. I
>> need a scanner, so I went looking for a stand-alone unit.
>>
>> I soon discovered that the least expensive way to get a scanner is to
>> buy one with a printer attached. I wound up with a refurbished HP Envy
>> Photo 7858 for around $70US. Easy to install in Mageia, works great as a
>> scanner. So far I haven't printed enough with it to really be able to
>> evaluate it in that capacity.
>
> I needed a new scanner ("need" in the sense of "really wanted") this
> year because I had to scan some 200+ pages of 8x11 legal documents. My
> existing scanner could do it, but it is old and slow. I ended up getting
> an Epson ES-50. I spent about $100 on it, and I don't regret it. It's a
> little flimsy, but it is TINY. No way I'd want whole damn printer sized
> thing, but if you have the space and are that money conscious, sure go
> for it.
>
> The ES-50 is a "travel" scanner. It has a sheet feed, but no tray. Size
> of the entire thing is about 2" x 1.5" x 11" and it takes paper up to
> 8.5" wide by who knows how long. Receipt scanning is an option, and the
> max is at least 72". I have scanned a couple of "legal size" (8.5" x
> 14") but not really tested the length. Much, much faster than my old
> Epson. But I'll keep that clunker around because it has the
> "transparency" option for scanning slides and negatives with a
> backlight.

Seems like I saw one of those during my search for a new scanner. Not
sure why I decided against it, but if I saw the word "flimsy" in one of
the reviews that might have been enough if I wasn't inclined toward that
type of scanner anyway.

Some differences in our situations are apparent: You have a functioning
scanner, however old and slow; I did not. You were looking to scan legal
documents; I do almost none of that, and if I did have that to do the
printer/scanner I bought has an auto-sheet feeder in addition to the
flatbed.

I'm a farmer, and I need to make copies of this and that from time to
time, and not always documents. Driving the 10 miles to the nearest copy
place isn't usually convenient. And money is ALWAYS a consideration
here, in everything.

As for space, the Envy is actually a bit smaller than the Officejet it
replaced. Quieter and faster, too. It has wifi connectivity, too - which
I'm not sure I'll use much, but then, you never know...

TJ

Re: printer issues HP 1112 apparently dead; considering Canon TS202

<DJJ6K.848567$aT3.704564@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7228&group=comp.os.linux.misc#7228

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
From: cgi...@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 01:05:39 GMT
 by: Charlie Gibbs - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 01:05 UTC

On 2022-04-16, Eli the Bearded <*@eli.users.panix.com> wrote:

> I needed a new scanner ("need" in the sense of "really wanted") this
> year because I had to scan some 200+ pages of 8x11 legal documents. My
> existing scanner could do it, but it is old and slow. I ended up getting
> an Epson ES-50. I spent about $100 on it, and I don't regret it. It's a
> little flimsy, but it is TINY. No way I'd want whole damn printer sized
> thing, but if you have the space and are that money conscious, sure go
> for it.

Scanners might be a bit of a digression, but I had a wall of old
mainframe manuals that I wanted to scan and upload to Bitsavers.
I wound up getting a Brother ADS-2700W. It's a sheet-fed scanner
that folds up into a package about 6x6x12 (plus the sheet feeder).
It's fairly fast, can scan both sides in one pass, and takes paper
up to 8 1/2 x 14. I haven't figured out how to get the networking
options to work (beyond pointing my web browser at its setup page),
but it's easy enough to stuff a thumb drive into the USB slot on
the back and write PDFs to it. I've scanned about 60,000 pages
with it and it's still going strong.

--
/~\ Charlie Gibbs | Microsoft is a dictatorship.
\ / <cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid> | Apple is a cult.

Canon TS202 success; was Re: printer issues HP 1112 apparently dead; considering Canon TS202

<slrnt69fms.2kd.spamtrap42@one.localnet>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7249&group=comp.os.linux.misc#7249

From: spamtra...@jacob21819.net (Robert Riches)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Canon TS202 success; was Re: printer issues HP 1112 apparently
dead; considering Canon TS202
Date: 24 Apr 2022 03:07:09 GMT
 by: Robert Riches - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 03:07 UTC

On 2022-04-16, Robert Riches <spamtrap42@jacob21819.net> wrote:
> On 2022-04-14, Andreas Kohlbach <ank@spamfence.net> wrote:
>> On 14 Apr 2022 03:00:19 GMT, Robert Riches wrote:
>>>
>>> Many thanks to everyone who replied. For good measure, I plan to
>>> re-test the HP inkjet from a Raspberry Pi and a new USB cable,
>>> just in case it's not the printer itself.
>>
>> Don't forget to report back here then. :-)
>
> Of course! :-)
>
> With that printer connected to a Raspberry Pi with a new USB
> cable, it still does exactly what it did with the old cable and
> the original computer. I even reseated the connection between
> the 120VAC power cord and the back of the printer. (The PSU is a
> bit loose in the printer chassis, so I had suspected the power
> cord's connect was falling out.) With the Raspberry Pi, it quit
> even sooner on the page on the CUPS test page. Fortunately, I
> know exactly where the electronics recycling place is over on
> Wynooski.
>
> Thanks again to everyone for the helpful replies.

The replacement, a Canon PIXMA TS202, now works. I'm running
Devuan, so I tried to build the DEB from the Canon source
tarball. After installing debhelper and making a few attempts to
peel the onion of problems with building the DEB, I gave up and
installed the binary DEB from Canon's site. That worked.

--
Robert Riches
spamtrap42@jacob21819.net