Subject: Re: How do we know H(P,P)==0 is the correct halt status for the input
to H? (HTML for fixed width font)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,comp.software-eng,sci.math.symbolic
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2021 15:05:18 -0500
 by: olcott - Sat, 14 Aug 2021 20:05 UTC

On 8/14/2021 2:49 PM, dklei...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, August 14, 2021 at 9:06:27 AM UTC-7, olcott wrote:
>> the Turing machine halting problem. Simply stated, the problem
>> is: given the description of a Turing machine M and an input w,
>> does M, when started in the initial configuration q0w, perform a
>> computation that eventually halts? (Linz:1990:317).
>
> That is not a proper statement of what is at stake. The theorem
> is that there does not exist a Turing Machine which, given the
> description of another Turing Machine, can determine whether
> or not the second Turing Machine halts. The proof is that if such
> a first Turing Machine were to exist we can construction a
> second machine for which the first machine determines halting
> incorrectly.

// Simplified Linz Ĥ (Linz:1990:319)
// Strachey(1965) CPL translated to C
void P(u32 x)
{ if (H(x, x))
HERE: goto HERE;
}

All that I have to do to refute all of the conventional halting problem
proofs is to show how H correctly decides that its input H(P,P) never
halts.

I have done that, yet people deliberately make sure that to never
examine the actual analysis of the halt status decision of the actual
input to H. Instead they always dishonestly change the subject to
another computation that is not the input to H.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein