From: Kirk_Roc...@nowhere.invalid (Kirk_Rockstein)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Determining configure/compile options used for a debian package
Date: 25 Apr 2022 19:22:06 GMT
 by: Kirk_Rockstein - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 19:22 UTC

Is there a way to determine what configure/compile options/flags
were used to build a particular package/binary (debian)?

--

Re: Determining configure/compile options used for a debian package

<875ymwq4gl.fsf@LkoBDZeT.terraraq.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7252&group=comp.os.linux.misc#7252

From: inva...@invalid.invalid (Richard Kettlewell)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 21:43:22 +0100
 by: Richard Kettlewell - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 20:43 UTC

Kirk_Rockstein <Kirk_Rockstein@nowhere.invalid> writes:
> Is there a way to determine what configure/compile options/flags
> were used to build a particular package/binary (debian)?

Download the source package, build it, observe the options used.

--
https://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/

Re: Determining configure/compile options used for a debian package

<jcopd7FfqmuU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7253&group=comp.os.linux.misc#7253

From: Kirk_Roc...@nowhere.invalid (Kirk_Rockstein)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 25 Apr 2022 23:32:55 GMT
 by: Kirk_Rockstein - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 23:32 UTC

On 2022-04-25, Richard Kettlewell <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Kirk_Rockstein <Kirk_Rockstein@nowhere.invalid> writes:
>> Is there a way to determine what configure/compile options/flags
>> were used to build a particular package/binary (debian)?
>
> Download the source package, build it, observe the options used.

OK .. I did a apt-get source <package>

and think I found the configure options in the rules file.
thanks

--

Re: Determining configure/compile options used for a debian package

<t48mnp$3earg$1@news.xmission.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7258&group=comp.os.linux.misc#7258

From: gaze...@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 11:57:45 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
 by: Kenny McCormack - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 11:57 UTC

In article <875ymwq4gl.fsf@LkoBDZeT.terraraq.uk>,
Richard Kettlewell <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>Kirk_Rockstein <Kirk_Rockstein@nowhere.invalid> writes:
>> Is there a way to determine what configure/compile options/flags
>> were used to build a particular package/binary (debian)?
>
>Download the source package, build it, observe the options used.

But that's not answering the same question - at all.

You're answering the question: How can I produce a new binary whose
compilation options I will know?

The question asked by OP is: I have a binary. I want to know which options
were used to compile it.

That question may or may not be answerable. Suggest using "strings" on the
binary and hoping it wasn't stripped.

Nitpickers note: Yes, if everything is clean and proper, your method will
work - that is, if you can exactly reproduce the original conditions, then
the options used in the replicated environment should be the same as that
which were present in the original environment. But there's no guarantee
of all of this.

Note that I often face (and frequently solve) problems of this sort - where
I have a binary and I want to figure out where it came from. Sometimes you
can, sometimes you can't.

--
"Unattended children will be given an espresso and a free kitten."

Re: Determining configure/compile options used for a debian package

<874k2gni2t.fsf@LkoBDZeT.terraraq.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7260&group=comp.os.linux.misc#7260

From: inva...@invalid.invalid (Richard Kettlewell)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 13:29:46 +0100
 by: Richard Kettlewell - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 12:29 UTC

gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack) writes:
> Richard Kettlewell <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>Kirk_Rockstein <Kirk_Rockstein@nowhere.invalid> writes:
>>> Is there a way to determine what configure/compile options/flags
>>> were used to build a particular package/binary (debian)?
>>
>>Download the source package, build it, observe the options used.
>
> But that's not answering the same question - at all.
>
> You're answering the question: How can I produce a new binary whose
> compilation options I will know?
>
> The question asked by OP is: I have a binary. I want to know which options
> were used to compile it.

The only way to answer the former is to do the latter and compare.
Debian has an ongoing project to make this work:
https://wiki.debian.org/ReproducibleBuilds

--
https://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/