It is much easier to suggest solutions when you know nothing about the problem.

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Re: Duke Nukem Forever... the original one

SubjectAuthor
* Duke Nukem Forever... the original oneSpalls Hurgenson
+* Re: Duke Nukem Forever... the original oneShinnokxz
|`- Re: Duke Nukem Forever... the original oneSpalls Hurgenson
+- Re: Duke Nukem Forever... the original onePW
`* Re: Duke Nukem Forever... the original oneJAB
 +* Re: Duke Nukem Forever... the original oneAnt
 |+* Re: Duke Nukem Forever... the original onePW
 ||`* Re: Duke Nukem Forever... the original oneAnt
 || `- Re: Duke Nukem Forever... the original onePW
 |`* Re: Duke Nukem Forever... the original oneJAB
 | +- Re: Duke Nukem Forever... the original oneAnt
 | +* Re: Duke Nukem Forever... the original onePW
 | |`* Re: Duke Nukem Forever... the original oneAnt
 | | +* Re: Duke Nukem Forever... the original onePW
 | | |`* Re: Duke Nukem Forever... the original oneSpalls Hurgenson
 | | | `* Re: Duke Nukem Forever... the original oneJAB
 | | |  +* Re: Duke Nukem Forever... the original onePW
 | | |  |`* Re: Duke Nukem Forever... the original oneJAB
 | | |  | `* Re: Duke Nukem Forever... the original onePW
 | | |  |  `* Re: Duke Nukem Forever... the original oneJAB
 | | |  |   `- Re: Duke Nukem Forever... the original onePW
 | | |  `- Re: Duke Nukem Forever... the original onePW
 | | `- Re: Duke Nukem Forever... the original oneJAB
 | `* Re: Duke Nukem Forever... the original oneSpalls Hurgenson
 |  `- Re: Duke Nukem Forever... the original oneJAB
 `- Re: Duke Nukem Forever... the original oneSpalls Hurgenson

Pages:12
Duke Nukem Forever... the original one

<us0m7hp1amfvstkpro1dk2kqacu6qa7qkp@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7202&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7202

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Duke Nukem Forever... the original one
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 20:57:50 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Wed, 11 May 2022 00:57 UTC

Remember "Duke Nukem Forever"? No, not that awful POS game released by
Gearbox ten years ago... the /original/ "Duke Nukem Forever", touted
by Apogee a decade before that. The one that had us drooling at the
screenshots and excited about - what was then - the innovative
gameplay. That one, remember?

You can play it now, if you want.

Well, sort of play. A pre-release build was leaked out to the public
(and is available here: https://archive.org/details/1652058670472).
You can install it on your computer (tips for getting it running here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/umexnl/duke_nukem_forever_2001_has_released/).
Supposedly a more complete version is expected sometime next month,
but the current leak is still quite interesting.

It's not a full game; it's a very rough partial game. It's mostly a
test-build designed to showcase some of the game's features and allow
screenshots. It is glitchy as hell and really not worth the effort to
get running (I wasn't successful myself, but I didn't try very hard).
You're probably better off just watching a youtube video of someone
else playing it (like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=326&v=qC6rLI_hF-A&feature=emb_title).

Still, it's easy to see why so many people - myself included - were
excited about this game at the time. Had it released in 2001, DNF
would have been... well, maybe not a ground-breaking game, but
certainly a satisfyingly fun one. It looks gorgeous understanding that
the game is 20 years old), the gunplay looks fairly solid, and the
disturbingly over-the-top crassness of the 2011 game seems
significantly toned down. It's like Apogee were trying to make a game
that would stand on its own merits, and not because its protagonist
had a potty-mouth.

Myself, I mostly remember the 2001 version for its cops, which had an
amazingly (for the time) detailed model; I couldn't believe games
could look so good. They looked photo-real... and then they shot
tentacles from their mouth. It had huge levels, vehicles, unbelievably
large explosions... it may not have been revolutionary like its
predecessor, but it certainly was a welcome evolution; a harbinger of
what we expected of 'modern' FPS games in the early 2000s.

I wish I could have gotten this build to run, but I'm not too
disappointed; anyway, I expect I'll put more effort into it when the
more complete version releases in June. It really speaks to the
incompetence of both Brussaud - and later Gearbox - that with such a
solid foundation available to them they never released an enjoyable
version of the game.

Re: Duke Nukem Forever... the original one

<6130536b-f492-460d-801c-2a4627a8f311n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7207&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7207

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 22:39:39 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever... the original one
From: shinno...@gmail.com (Shinnokxz)
 by: Shinnokxz - Wed, 11 May 2022 05:39 UTC

On Tuesday, May 10, 2022 at 6:58:02 PM UTC-6, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> Remember "Duke Nukem Forever"? No, not that awful POS game released by
> Gearbox ten years ago... the /original/ "Duke Nukem Forever", touted
> by Apogee a decade before that. The one that had us drooling at the
> screenshots and excited about - what was then - the innovative
> gameplay. That one, remember?
>
> You can play it now, if you want.
>
> Well, sort of play. A pre-release build was leaked out to the public
> (and is available here: https://archive.org/details/1652058670472).
> You can install it on your computer (tips for getting it running here:
> https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/umexnl/duke_nukem_forever_2001_has_released/).
> Supposedly a more complete version is expected sometime next month,
> but the current leak is still quite interesting.
>
> It's not a full game; it's a very rough partial game. It's mostly a
> test-build designed to showcase some of the game's features and allow
> screenshots. It is glitchy as hell and really not worth the effort to
> get running (I wasn't successful myself, but I didn't try very hard).
> You're probably better off just watching a youtube video of someone
> else playing it (like this one:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=326&v=qC6rLI_hF-A&feature=emb_title).
>
> Still, it's easy to see why so many people - myself included - were
> excited about this game at the time. Had it released in 2001, DNF
> would have been... well, maybe not a ground-breaking game, but
> certainly a satisfyingly fun one. It looks gorgeous understanding that
> the game is 20 years old), the gunplay looks fairly solid, and the
> disturbingly over-the-top crassness of the 2011 game seems
> significantly toned down. It's like Apogee were trying to make a game
> that would stand on its own merits, and not because its protagonist
> had a potty-mouth.
>
> Myself, I mostly remember the 2001 version for its cops, which had an
> amazingly (for the time) detailed model; I couldn't believe games
> could look so good. They looked photo-real... and then they shot
> tentacles from their mouth. It had huge levels, vehicles, unbelievably
> large explosions... it may not have been revolutionary like its
> predecessor, but it certainly was a welcome evolution; a harbinger of
> what we expected of 'modern' FPS games in the early 2000s.
>
> I wish I could have gotten this build to run, but I'm not too
> disappointed; anyway, I expect I'll put more effort into it when the
> more complete version releases in June. It really speaks to the
> incompetence of both Brussaud - and later Gearbox - that with such a
> solid foundation available to them they never released an enjoyable
> version of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDlB2P1leRM

I wonder if this is the same build. Doesn't seem like it.

Re: Duke Nukem Forever... the original one

<g4tn7hdb6qqhnl5gh8i9pttk5esb6aanhr@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7211&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7211

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 13:53:15 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Wed, 11 May 2022 17:53 UTC

On Tue, 10 May 2022 22:39:39 -0700 (PDT), Shinnokxz
<shinnokxz@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Tuesday, May 10, 2022 at 6:58:02 PM UTC-6, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>> I wish I could have gotten this build to run, but I'm not too
>> disappointed; anyway, I expect I'll put more effort into it when the
>> more complete version releases in June. It really speaks to the
>> incompetence of both Brussaud - and later Gearbox - that with such a
>> solid foundation available to them they never released an enjoyable
>> version of the game.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDlB2P1leRM
>I wonder if this is the same build. Doesn't seem like it.

Supposedly it is (give or take a few minor revisions, perhaps)
You can see the resemblance more clearly here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLJwLSAvSYc

Obviously the official 2001 trailer was edited to make it look better,
but the underlying tech is the same.

Meanwhile, there is a fun shit-fest starting between Apogee head
George Broussard and co-owner Scott Miller. The latter made some
interesting comments about the game's development* (they were
understaffed, no developmental roadmap, etc.); the former took it
personally and accused Miller of being a 'clueless narcissist'.**
Given what we already knew of the game's troubled history (and that
Miller didn't namecheck anyone in his original post), it seems like
Broussard is projecting.

But you know me; I always enjoy watching management types talk
themselves into trouble that could have been entirely avoided if they
just acted like rational, empathic humans, so I'm here chompin' down
some popcorn and enjoying the show. ;-)

Side note: I'm glad somebody saw this post. My NNTP provider for some
reason seems to be swallowing some of my posts; when I refresh the
newsgroup, they don't show up on my end. But apparently they are
propagating out. Weird.

----------------------
* https://www.apogeeent.com/devblog/dnf-truth
**
https://www.shacknews.com/article/130277/george-broussard-blames-apogees-scott-miller-for-the-loss-of-duke-ip

Re: Duke Nukem Forever... the original one

<9hbo7hdfs28gd1i4vu93e0qbir85jla19c@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7214&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7214

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 15:46:10 -0600
 by: PW - Wed, 11 May 2022 21:46 UTC

On Tue, 10 May 2022 20:57:50 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>Remember "Duke Nukem Forever"? No, not that awful POS game released by
>Gearbox ten years ago... the /original/ "Duke Nukem Forever", touted
>by Apogee a decade before that. The one that had us drooling at the
>screenshots and excited about - what was then - the innovative
>gameplay. That one, remember?
>
>You can play it now, if you want.
>
>Well, sort of play. A pre-release build was leaked out to the public
>(and is available here: https://archive.org/details/1652058670472).
>You can install it on your computer (tips for getting it running here:
>https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/umexnl/duke_nukem_forever_2001_has_released/).
>Supposedly a more complete version is expected sometime next month,
>but the current leak is still quite interesting.
>
>It's not a full game; it's a very rough partial game. It's mostly a
>test-build designed to showcase some of the game's features and allow
>screenshots. It is glitchy as hell and really not worth the effort to
>get running (I wasn't successful myself, but I didn't try very hard).
>You're probably better off just watching a youtube video of someone
>else playing it (like this one:
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=326&v=qC6rLI_hF-A&feature=emb_title).
>
>Still, it's easy to see why so many people - myself included - were
>excited about this game at the time. Had it released in 2001, DNF
>would have been... well, maybe not a ground-breaking game, but
>certainly a satisfyingly fun one. It looks gorgeous understanding that
>the game is 20 years old), the gunplay looks fairly solid, and the
>disturbingly over-the-top crassness of the 2011 game seems
>significantly toned down. It's like Apogee were trying to make a game
>that would stand on its own merits, and not because its protagonist
>had a potty-mouth.
>
>Myself, I mostly remember the 2001 version for its cops, which had an
>amazingly (for the time) detailed model; I couldn't believe games
>could look so good. They looked photo-real... and then they shot
>tentacles from their mouth. It had huge levels, vehicles, unbelievably
>large explosions... it may not have been revolutionary like its
>predecessor, but it certainly was a welcome evolution; a harbinger of
>what we expected of 'modern' FPS games in the early 2000s.
>
>I wish I could have gotten this build to run, but I'm not too
>disappointed; anyway, I expect I'll put more effort into it when the
>more complete version releases in June. It really speaks to the
>incompetence of both Brussaud - and later Gearbox - that with such a
>solid foundation available to them they never released an enjoyable
>version of the game.

*--

I will wait until it finished :-)

For real this time.

I have that unfinished hybrid via Steam, but also they have Duke Nukem
3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour but it is $20 for a 6 year old game!

Meanwhile, there is Serious Sam but probably not raunchy enough for
some :-)

-pw

Re: Duke Nukem Forever... the original one

<t5l4b9$ug2$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7233&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7233

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 09:19:52 +0100
 by: JAB - Fri, 13 May 2022 08:19 UTC

On 11/05/2022 01:57, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

> Remember "Duke Nukem Forever"? No, not that awful POS game released by
> Gearbox ten years ago... the /original/ "Duke Nukem Forever", touted
> by Apogee a decade before that. The one that had us drooling at the
> screenshots and excited about - what was then - the innovative
> gameplay. That one, remember?

That is another game title that has its place in gaming history that
I've never played. See also Wolfenstein and Doom. I have played Quake II
even though I quickly got bored of it. So I just run around and shoot
lots of things and that's it.

Re: Duke Nukem Forever... the original one

<meydnWwTBb698-P_nZ2dnUU7-XednZ2d@earthlink.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7235&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7235

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 09:41:36 -0500
 by: Ant - Fri, 13 May 2022 14:41 UTC

JAB <noway@nochance.com> wrote:
> On 11/05/2022 01:57, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> >
> > Remember "Duke Nukem Forever"? No, not that awful POS game released by
> > Gearbox ten years ago... the /original/ "Duke Nukem Forever", touted
> > by Apogee a decade before that. The one that had us drooling at the
> > screenshots and excited about - what was then - the innovative
> > gameplay. That one, remember?
> >

> That is another game title that has its place in gaming history that
> I've never played. See also Wolfenstein and Doom. I have played Quake II
> even though I quickly got bored of it. So I just run around and shoot
> lots of things and that's it.

That's my genre.
--
A little slammy last night and still managed to sleep more and better overnight with two quick wake ups. Will Friday the 13th eve was similiar to yesterday's.
| |o o| |

Re: Duke Nukem Forever... the original one

<bf5t7h50rsqt35gqvi36eh59r6d4jcscpq@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7236&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7236

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 11:31:44 -0600
 by: PW - Fri, 13 May 2022 17:31 UTC

On Fri, 13 May 2022 09:41:36 -0500, ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:

>JAB <noway@nochance.com> wrote:
>> On 11/05/2022 01:57, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>> >
>> > Remember "Duke Nukem Forever"? No, not that awful POS game released by
>> > Gearbox ten years ago... the /original/ "Duke Nukem Forever", touted
>> > by Apogee a decade before that. The one that had us drooling at the
>> > screenshots and excited about - what was then - the innovative
>> > gameplay. That one, remember?
>> >

>> That is another game title that has its place in gaming history that
>> I've never played. See also Wolfenstein and Doom. I have played Quake II
>> even though I quickly got bored of it. So I just run around and shoot
>> lots of things and that's it.
>
>That's my genre.

Then Ant, Serious Sam should be right up your alley!

-pw

Re: Duke Nukem Forever... the original one

<BfWdnUOTiNaRWuP_nZ2dnUU7-dudnZ2d@earthlink.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7238&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7238

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 16:01:00 -0500
 by: Ant - Fri, 13 May 2022 21:01 UTC

PW <iamnotusingonewithAgent@notinuse.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 13 May 2022 09:41:36 -0500, ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:

> >JAB <noway@nochance.com> wrote:

> >> That is another game title that has its place in gaming history that
> >> I've never played. See also Wolfenstein and Doom. I have played Quake II
> >> even though I quickly got bored of it. So I just run around and shoot
> >> lots of things and that's it.
> >
> >That's my genre.

> Then Ant, Serious Sam should be right up your alley!

Yup, I enjoyed its original game. ;)
--
Friday the 13th! :O Will it be quiet too? So far, it is even though getting hot. Still aching like the left foot with its ankle.
| |o o| |

Re: Duke Nukem Forever... the original one

<pdot7hhj756tmmaue09u84r3jf8ljv7idm@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7239&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7239

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 19:07:54 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Fri, 13 May 2022 23:07 UTC

On Fri, 13 May 2022 09:19:52 +0100, JAB <noway@nochance.com> wrote:
>On 11/05/2022 01:57, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>> Remember "Duke Nukem Forever"? No, not that awful POS game released by
>> Gearbox ten years ago... the /original/ "Duke Nukem Forever", touted
>> by Apogee a decade before that. The one that had us drooling at the
>> screenshots and excited about - what was then - the innovative
>> gameplay. That one, remember?

>That is another game title that has its place in gaming history that
>I've never played. See also Wolfenstein and Doom. I have played Quake II
>even though I quickly got bored of it. So I just run around and shoot
>lots of things and that's it.

To be fair, there really isn't much more to Doom (and Wolf3D, and
Duke3D, and Quake, etc.) beyond "run around and shoot lots of things".
They're excellent games, but fairly simplistic in their mechanics.

Still... not having played Doom? It boggles the mind. Of the games
mentioned above, it's the one I think stands the test of time the
best. "Wolf3D" is just /too/ simplistic, and its level design is
attrocious. "Duke3D" was a marvel for its time, but its attempts at
'realistic level design' (not to mention its puerile humor) hasn't
aged well. "Quake" is... well, it's brown, its got ugly and obvious
polygons, and has no story and unexciting weapons.

But "Doom" hits that sweet spot where it's still stylized enough that
its level design isn't annoyingly mazelike and /just/ realistic enough
you can see what the designers were imagining it to be. Its weapons
are beefy, its soundtrack is rocking, and the monsters are at that
right level of stupidly tenacious that every kill is satisfying. Its a
game that balances itself perfectly between the arcade and modern
shooters, and takes the best from both genres.

Seriously, give the game a try; even after almost 3 decades, it holds
up really well. I'd recommend finding a Doom port, if only because it
will smooth out the graphics and offer proper mouse-look (the original
DOS versions controls were hand-cramping). Personally, I love the
"Brutal Doom" mod, just because the over-the-top blood effects are so
ridiculously excessive I can't help but giggle as I paint a room red
with demon-gore. It's a game I return to often... not for long, but
just enough to fill my need for brainless violence.

Re: Duke Nukem Forever... the original one

<gk9u7httbjdd5at2blavs1ukcpa0krmq56@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7242&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7242

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 21:49:34 -0600
 by: PW - Sat, 14 May 2022 03:49 UTC

On Fri, 13 May 2022 16:01:00 -0500, ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:

>PW <iamnotusingonewithAgent@notinuse.com> wrote:

>> >That's my genre.
>
>> Then Ant, Serious Sam should be right up your alley!
>
>Yup, I enjoyed its original game. ;)

* *--

Shoot, if you didn't bring it up I wouldn't have known the date!

I am messing around with SS4. It is fun and a riot.

And the Syberian one.

-pw

Re: Duke Nukem Forever... the original one

<t5ns4l$5ir$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7244&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7244

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 10:18:12 +0100
 by: JAB - Sat, 14 May 2022 09:18 UTC

On 13/05/2022 15:41, Ant wrote:
> JAB <noway@nochance.com> wrote:
>> On 11/05/2022 01:57, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>>>
>>> Remember "Duke Nukem Forever"? No, not that awful POS game released by
>>> Gearbox ten years ago... the /original/ "Duke Nukem Forever", touted
>>> by Apogee a decade before that. The one that had us drooling at the
>>> screenshots and excited about - what was then - the innovative
>>> gameplay. That one, remember?
>>>

>> That is another game title that has its place in gaming history that
>> I've never played. See also Wolfenstein and Doom. I have played Quake II
>> even though I quickly got bored of it. So I just run around and shoot
>> lots of things and that's it.
>
> That's my genre.

Strangely enough I liked both Medal of Honour and Call of Duty and
they're only a slight step of from run around and shoot everything.

Re: Duke Nukem Forever... the original one

<3cGdnazp3Y8cpx3_nZ2dnUU7-V-dnZ2d@earthlink.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7247&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7247

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 18:25:53 -0500
 by: Ant - Sat, 14 May 2022 23:25 UTC

JAB <noway@nochance.com> wrote:
> On 13/05/2022 15:41, Ant wrote:
> > JAB <noway@nochance.com> wrote:

> >> That is another game title that has its place in gaming history that
> >> I've never played. See also Wolfenstein and Doom. I have played Quake II
> >> even though I quickly got bored of it. So I just run around and shoot
> >> lots of things and that's it.
> >
> > That's my genre.

> Strangely enough I liked both Medal of Honour and Call of Duty and
> they're only a slight step of from run around and shoot everything.

I enjoyed those too!
--
It looks like it will be a quiet hot Caturday like Friday, the 13th! Dang scary false city alerts. Still aching like the left foot with its ankle.
| |o o| |

Re: Duke Nukem Forever... the original one

<71g08h1jtgck41d63kbqfar3m7g0bhneni@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7250&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7250

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 17:50:36 -0600
 by: PW - Sat, 14 May 2022 23:50 UTC

On Sat, 14 May 2022 10:18:12 +0100, JAB <noway@nochance.com> wrote:

>On 13/05/2022 15:41, Ant wrote:
>> JAB <noway@nochance.com> wrote:

>>> That is another game title that has its place in gaming history that
>>> I've never played. See also Wolfenstein and Doom. I have played Quake II
>>> even though I quickly got bored of it. So I just run around and shoot
>>> lots of things and that's it.
>>
>> That's my genre.
>
>Strangely enough I liked both Medal of Honour and Call of Duty and
>they're only a slight step of from run around and shoot everything.

*--

I have some of those installed but I think I liked the Battlefield
series better. It's been a while.

-pw

Re: Duke Nukem Forever... the original one

<8rf08h9ciu5i5dmngagovq0b669rmokslj@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7251&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7251

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 20:04:22 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Sun, 15 May 2022 00:04 UTC

On Sat, 14 May 2022 10:18:12 +0100, JAB <noway@nochance.com> wrote:
>> JAB <noway@nochance.com> wrote:

>>> That is another game title that has its place in gaming history that
>>> I've never played. See also Wolfenstein and Doom. I have played Quake II
>>> even though I quickly got bored of it. So I just run around and shoot
>>> lots of things and that's it.

>Strangely enough I liked both Medal of Honour and Call of Duty and
>they're only a slight step of from run around and shoot everything.

"Medal of Honor: Allied Assault" was an amazing experience when it
first released; it was one of the first 3D first-person shooters that
convincingly 'recreated reality', rather than the usual stylistic
level design. Fighting your way across the beach in the Normandy
assault was as 'true-to-life' as any first-person game made up to
then.

Unfortunately, the game aged /really/ poorly, not only with its
visuals but with its brain-dead AI and level design. "Call of Duty"
survived the years much better since it relied less on its AI and more
on scripted set-pieces. I still consider "United Offensive" (the
add-on level-pack for the original "Call of Duty") one of the better
FPS experiences... assuming you enjoy cinematic, scripted shooters, of
course.

Re: Duke Nukem Forever... the original one

<PsmdncyoFKDg_B3_nZ2dnUU7-IudnZ2d@earthlink.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7252&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7252

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 21:12:13 -0500
 by: Ant - Sun, 15 May 2022 02:12 UTC

PW <iamnotusingonewithAgent@notinuse.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 14 May 2022 10:18:12 +0100, JAB <noway@nochance.com> wrote:

> >> That's my genre.
> >
> >Strangely enough I liked both Medal of Honour and Call of Duty and
> >they're only a slight step of from run around and shoot everything.

> *--

> I have some of those installed but I think I liked the Battlefield
> series better. It's been a while.

Ditto. I like BF's open area for multiplayer gaming.
--
It looks like it will be a quiet hot Caturday like Friday, the 13th! Dang scary false city alerts. Still aching like the left foot with its ankle.
| |o o| |
\ _ /
( )

Re: Duke Nukem Forever... the original one

<t5qlh2$tv6$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7254&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7254

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 11:43:44 +0100
 by: JAB - Sun, 15 May 2022 10:43 UTC

On 15/05/2022 01:04, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>> Strangely enough I liked both Medal of Honour and Call of Duty and
>> they're only a slight step of from run around and shoot everything.
>
> "Medal of Honor: Allied Assault" was an amazing experience when it
> first released; it was one of the first 3D first-person shooters that
> convincingly 'recreated reality', rather than the usual stylistic
> level design. Fighting your way across the beach in the Normandy
> assault was as 'true-to-life' as any first-person game made up to
> then.
>
> Unfortunately, the game aged /really/ poorly, not only with its
> visuals but with its brain-dead AI and level design. "Call of Duty"
> survived the years much better since it relied less on its AI and more
> on scripted set-pieces. I still consider "United Offensive" (the
> add-on level-pack for the original "Call of Duty") one of the better
> FPS experiences... assuming you enjoy cinematic, scripted shooters, of
> course.

I did enjoy MoH at the time but I honestly don't remember much about it
expect you got to shoot Nazis. CoD + the expansion, that was certain fun
as was CoD2 but by the time I got to CoD:MW the cracks in game design
had for my started to show. It's part of the reason I think I feel out
of love with FPS'es in general. Yes you had new shiny graphics and
settings but it just felt like you were playing the same game regardless.

It was nice, but short lived, to see the likes of STALKER and Brothers
In Arms as they at least were trying to do something a bit different.

Re: Duke Nukem Forever... the original one

<cni38h5hel6mlttu1n76cndqdm3er0gqj2@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7259&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7259

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 21:55:27 -0600
 by: PW - Mon, 16 May 2022 03:55 UTC

On Sat, 14 May 2022 21:12:13 -0500, ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:

>PW <iamnotusingonewithAgent@notinuse.com> wrote:

>> >Strangely enough I liked both Medal of Honour and Call of Duty and
>> >they're only a slight step of from run around and shoot everything.
>

>> *--
>
>> I have some of those installed but I think I liked the Battlefield
>> series better. It's been a while.
>
>Ditto. I like BF's open area for multiplayer gaming.

*--

I don't do MP. Just UT2004 once in a while with my brother and it is
always just us and bots.

Not sure if there is a MP game that I would like. I do look now and
then!

-pw

Re: Duke Nukem Forever... the original one

<t5t11j$erg$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7260&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7260

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 09:12:34 +0100
 by: JAB - Mon, 16 May 2022 08:12 UTC

On 15/05/2022 03:12, Ant wrote:
>>> Strangely enough I liked both Medal of Honour and Call of Duty and
>>> they're only a slight step of from run around and shoot everything.
>

>> *--
>
>> I have some of those installed but I think I liked the Battlefield
>> series better. It's been a while.
>
> Ditto. I like BF's open area for multiplayer gaming.

I have played the first two BF's but not really my thing as generally
I'm not into MP games. I did play the MP mode for MoH and CoD but that
was more just for some mindless fun. Anecdotally one of the problems I
had with MP only games is they seem to attract more competitive players
where's I was just spawn go forward, maybe kill the odd player, die.
Then repeat.

I even tried some games of CS:Source but that seemed a complete
nightmare in terms of how good some players were. I just didn't find it
enjoyable.

Re: Duke Nukem Forever... the original one

<r7t58hp1kaitbgsiut6o18ri5f67rtpju4@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7268&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7268

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 21:15:31 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Tue, 17 May 2022 01:15 UTC

On Sun, 15 May 2022 21:55:27 -0600, PW
<iamnotusingonewithAgent@notinuse.com> wrote:

>I don't do MP. Just UT2004 once in a while with my brother and it is
>always just us and bots.

I've found ones enjoyment of multiplayer depends heavily on the people
you play with. Playing with randoms is almost always an inferior
experience. If you don't have a group of friends to play with
regularly, you aren't going to get much out of the experience.

There have been exceptions; for a while, "Left 4 Dead" was an amazing
experience even with randoms because its gameplay forced cooperation.
But as people became more familiar with the mechanics - and how to
cheese the AI - the need for cooperation lessened. Nowadays, the
playerbase of the game has become as toxic as everywhere else.

>Not sure if there is a MP game that I would like. I do look now and
>then!

I'm not a big fan of multiplayer myself, although I do give them a try
here and again (mostly to see if I've suddenly grown to love them
again). In part this is for the reason mentioned above: I don't have a
posse of people I can play with online (most of my friends aren't big
computer game players). But I also don't get much joy out of games
which focus more on the mechanics than on story and setting; I /like/
the power-fantasy of being the hero. Equally, while the FPS genre has
evolved into dozens of subgenres, a lot of the multiplayer experience
still revolves around shooting people to accrue points, and - having
done that from the Doom days - I've tired of the repetition.

TL;DR: Don't be down on not liking multiplayer. There are lots of
other genres to enjoy, and while multiplayer gets talked about a lot,
single-player experiences are still immensely (possibly more) popular.
Play what you love, and don't worry about the rest.

Re: Duke Nukem Forever... the original one

<t5vpkg$2tk$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7270&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7270

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 10:24:29 +0100
 by: JAB - Tue, 17 May 2022 09:24 UTC

On 17/05/2022 02:15, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Sun, 15 May 2022 21:55:27 -0600, PW
> <iamnotusingonewithAgent@notinuse.com> wrote:
>
>> I don't do MP. Just UT2004 once in a while with my brother and it is
>> always just us and bots.
>
> I've found ones enjoyment of multiplayer depends heavily on the people
> you play with. Playing with randoms is almost always an inferior
> experience. If you don't have a group of friends to play with
> regularly, you aren't going to get much out of the experience.
>
> There have been exceptions; for a while, "Left 4 Dead" was an amazing
> experience even with randoms because its gameplay forced cooperation.
> But as people became more familiar with the mechanics - and how to
> cheese the AI - the need for cooperation lessened. Nowadays, the
> playerbase of the game has become as toxic as everywhere else.
>

>> Not sure if there is a MP game that I would like. I do look now and
>> then!
>
> I'm not a big fan of multiplayer myself, although I do give them a try
> here and again (mostly to see if I've suddenly grown to love them
> again). In part this is for the reason mentioned above: I don't have a
> posse of people I can play with online (most of my friends aren't big
> computer game players). But I also don't get much joy out of games
> which focus more on the mechanics than on story and setting; I /like/
> the power-fantasy of being the hero. Equally, while the FPS genre has
> evolved into dozens of subgenres, a lot of the multiplayer experience
> still revolves around shooting people to accrue points, and - having
> done that from the Doom days - I've tired of the repetition.
>
> TL;DR: Don't be down on not liking multiplayer. There are lots of
> other genres to enjoy, and while multiplayer gets talked about a lot,
> single-player experiences are still immensely (possibly more) popular.
> Play what you love, and don't worry about the rest.

I agree that playing with people you know really does make a difference.
The problem I have is that I'm just not that into the type of game MP's
generally are. That means I don't want to make the time commitment ever
in terms of being online at a certain time to play a certain game or
indeed how long I play for. I have played a few platoons in WoT and
although it's fun doing that I find that after three or four battles I
felt like doing something else for a bit.

Re: Duke Nukem Forever... the original one

<l54e8hpbdu3ft525i55i2dn1sk9k627t28@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7306&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7306

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 21:55:22 -0600
 by: PW - Fri, 20 May 2022 03:55 UTC

DR: Don't be down on not liking multiplayer. There are lots of
>> other genres to enjoy, and while multiplayer gets talked about a lot,
>> single-player experiences are still immensely (possibly more) popular.
>> Play what you love, and don't worry about the rest.
>>

>I agree that playing with people you know really does make a difference.
>The problem I have is that I'm just not that into the type of game MP's
>generally are. That means I don't want to make the time commitment ever
>in terms of being online at a certain time to play a certain game or
>indeed how long I play for. I have played a few platoons in WoT and
>although it's fun doing that I find that after three or four battles I
>felt like doing something else for a bit.

*--

There is no way I have the time to get up to speed for an MP game like
WoT, PUBG, or anything like that. Elden Ring or no Elden Ring.

Way too far behind the eight ball to even compete, especially with the
cheater,...

-pw

Re: Duke Nukem Forever... the original one

<t67qt7$fsh$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7307&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7307

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 11:35:18 +0100
 by: JAB - Fri, 20 May 2022 10:35 UTC

On 20/05/2022 04:55, PW wrote:
> DR: Don't be down on not liking multiplayer. There are lots of
>>> other genres to enjoy, and while multiplayer gets talked about a lot,
>>> single-player experiences are still immensely (possibly more) popular.
>>> Play what you love, and don't worry about the rest.
>>>

>> I agree that playing with people you know really does make a difference.
>> The problem I have is that I'm just not that into the type of game MP's
>> generally are. That means I don't want to make the time commitment ever
>> in terms of being online at a certain time to play a certain game or
>> indeed how long I play for. I have played a few platoons in WoT and
>> although it's fun doing that I find that after three or four battles I
>> felt like doing something else for a bit.
>

> *--
>
> There is no way I have the time to get up to speed for an MP game like
> WoT, PUBG, or anything like that. Elden Ring or no Elden Ring.
>
> Way too far behind the eight ball to even compete, especially with the
> cheater,...

WoT is a bit different from your average MP shooter as the pace is a lot
slower and because of the format it's hard for even very good players to
dominate a battle. Its target audience was Dads with wallets.

Cheating is also not that bad as the game is server side so even though
there are cheats they aren't as game breaking as in some games. You just
can't get magically spotted and shoot from the other side of the map.

Re: Duke Nukem Forever... the original one

<e0kf8hd5n2htpb2r5vjv0cn5l0hv35uegk@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7312&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7312

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
References: <us0m7hp1amfvstkpro1dk2kqacu6qa7qkp@4ax.com> <t5l4b9$ug2$1@dont-email.me> <meydnWwTBb698-P_nZ2dnUU7-XednZ2d@earthlink.com> <t5ns4l$5ir$1@dont-email.me> <71g08h1jtgck41d63kbqfar3m7g0bhneni@4ax.com> <PsmdncyoFKDg_B3_nZ2dnUU7-IudnZ2d@earthlink.com> <cni38h5hel6mlttu1n76cndqdm3er0gqj2@4ax.com> <r7t58hp1kaitbgsiut6o18ri5f67rtpju4@4ax.com> <t5vpkg$2tk$1@dont-email.me> <l54e8hpbdu3ft525i55i2dn1sk9k627t28@4ax.com> <t67qt7$fsh$1@dont-email.me>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 11:36:41 -0600
 by: PW - Fri, 20 May 2022 17:36 UTC

On Fri, 20 May 2022 11:35:18 +0100, JAB <noway@nochance.com> wrote:

>On 20/05/2022 04:55, PW wrote:
>> DR: Don't be down on not liking multiplayer. There are lots of
>>>>

>>> I agree that playing with people you know really does make a difference.
>>> The problem I have is that I'm just not that into the type of game MP's
>>> generally are. That means I don't want to make the time commitment ever
>>> in terms of being online at a certain time to play a certain game or
>>> indeed how long I play for. I have played a few platoons in WoT and
>>> although it's fun doing that I find that after three or four battles I
>>> felt like doing something else for a bit.
>>

>> *--
>>
>> There is no way I have the time to get up to speed for an MP game like
>> WoT, PUBG, or anything like that. Elden Ring or no Elden Ring.
>>
>> Way too far behind the eight ball to even compete, especially with the
>> cheater,...
>>

>WoT is a bit different from your average MP shooter as the pace is a lot
>slower and because of the format it's hard for even very good players to
>dominate a battle. Its target audience was Dads with wallets.
>
>Cheating is also not that bad as the game is server side so even though
>there are cheats they aren't as game breaking as in some games. You just
>can't get magically spotted and shoot from the other side of the map.

*--

Good to know JAB except I think you mean it is free to play which ends
up being pay to play in order to keep up.

I tried it when it first came out (3 years or so ago?) and I was very
impressed. Couldn't believe this was an on-line game.

I have also thought about World of Airplanes and I do keep War Thunder
up to date although I never tried it. PUBG was fun a couple years ago
with my brother but I would be lost if it wasn't for him. He
eventually stopped playing it because of all the cheating, and he was
a very good player.

I guess I will just stick with playing UT2004 with him (although his
new job with GoodYear Blimp has severely cut into our play time :-)),
bots and the occasional human.

The MP games doesn't have to be an FPS.

I used to play LFD and LFD2 on-line into the early next morning alot.
Even expert mode with mostly the same group of people. Basically, one
mistake and it's game over :-)

-pw

Re: Duke Nukem Forever... the original one

<t6a4ts$4oa$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7321&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7321

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 08:38:34 +0100
 by: JAB - Sat, 21 May 2022 07:38 UTC

On 20/05/2022 18:36, PW wrote:
> On Fri, 20 May 2022 11:35:18 +0100, JAB <noway@nochance.com> wrote:
>
>> On 20/05/2022 04:55, PW wrote:
>>> DR: Don't be down on not liking multiplayer. There are lots of

>>> *--
>>>
>>> There is no way I have the time to get up to speed for an MP game like
>>> WoT, PUBG, or anything like that. Elden Ring or no Elden Ring.
>>>
>>> Way too far behind the eight ball to even compete, especially with the
>>> cheater,...
>>>

>> WoT is a bit different from your average MP shooter as the pace is a lot
>> slower and because of the format it's hard for even very good players to
>> dominate a battle. Its target audience was Dads with wallets.
>>
>> Cheating is also not that bad as the game is server side so even though
>> there are cheats they aren't as game breaking as in some games. You just
>> can't get magically spotted and shoot from the other side of the map.
>
> *--
>
> Good to know JAB except I think you mean it is free to play which ends
> up being pay to play in order to keep up.
>
> I tried it when it first came out (3 years or so ago?) and I was very
> impressed. Couldn't believe this was an on-line game.
>
> I have also thought about World of Airplanes and I do keep War Thunder
> up to date although I never tried it. PUBG was fun a couple years ago
> with my brother but I would be lost if it wasn't for him. He
> eventually stopped playing it because of all the cheating, and he was
> a very good player.
>
> I guess I will just stick with playing UT2004 with him (although his
> new job with GoodYear Blimp has severely cut into our play time :-)),
> bots and the occasional human.
>
> The MP games doesn't have to be an FPS.
>
> I used to play LFD and LFD2 on-line into the early next morning alot.
> Even expert mode with mostly the same group of people. Basically, one
> mistake and it's game over :-)

WoT isn't too bad in the can you really pay for free context although it
has got slowly worse over the years*. The big problem with it is that
you really do need to put the time in and that's a lot of time. As a new
player you'll going to spend quite a bit of it trying to play catch-up
with established players. Saying that there is always the option of
sticking to the lower tiers as that's where the less experienced players
are and WG have tried to make the new player experience a bit easier.

*It was first released in early 2011.

Re: Duke Nukem Forever... the original one

<u11m8h9c0rcvcm2fmv5t0f8dfhbfhotkf6@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7346&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7346

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
References: <t5l4b9$ug2$1@dont-email.me> <meydnWwTBb698-P_nZ2dnUU7-XednZ2d@earthlink.com> <t5ns4l$5ir$1@dont-email.me> <71g08h1jtgck41d63kbqfar3m7g0bhneni@4ax.com> <PsmdncyoFKDg_B3_nZ2dnUU7-IudnZ2d@earthlink.com> <cni38h5hel6mlttu1n76cndqdm3er0gqj2@4ax.com> <r7t58hp1kaitbgsiut6o18ri5f67rtpju4@4ax.com> <t5vpkg$2tk$1@dont-email.me> <l54e8hpbdu3ft525i55i2dn1sk9k627t28@4ax.com> <t67qt7$fsh$1@dont-email.me> <e0kf8hd5n2htpb2r5vjv0cn5l0hv35uegk@4ax.com> <t6a4ts$4oa$1@dont-email.me>
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 21:49:49 -0600
 by: PW - Mon, 23 May 2022 03:49 UTC

>WoT isn't too bad in the can you really pay for free context although it
>has got slowly worse over the years*. The big problem with it is that
>you really do need to put the time in and that's a lot of time. As a new
>player you'll going to spend quite a bit of it trying to play catch-up
>with established players. Saying that there is always the option of
>sticking to the lower tiers as that's where the less experienced players
>are and WG have tried to make the new player experience a bit easier.
>
>*It was first released in early 2011.

*---

Just as I suspected! Thanks JAB.

Not for me.