"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." -- Mark Twain

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / NFTs created by 15 year old who cried after his character nerfed in wow.

SubjectAuthor
* NFTs created by 15 year old who cried after his character nerfed in wow.Justisaur
+* Re: NFTs created by 15 year old who cried after his character nerfed in wow.Spalls Hurgenson
|`* Re: NFTs created by 15 year old who cried after his character nerfedDimensional Traveler
| `* Re: NFTs created by 15 year old who cried after his character nerfed in wow.Spalls Hurgenson
|  `- Re: NFTs created by 15 year old who cried after his character nerfedDimensional Traveler
`* Re: NFTs created by 15 year old who cried after his character nerfedJAB
 `* Re: NFTs created by 15 year old who cried after his character nerfed in wow.Spalls Hurgenson
  `- Re: NFTs created by 15 year old who cried after his character nerfedDimensional Traveler

1
NFTs created by 15 year old who cried after his character nerfed in wow.

<5ac3d20c-4b2b-4708-abf8-19c8741a446dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7273&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7273

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 07:27:10 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: NFTs created by 15 year old who cried after his character nerfed in wow.
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Tue, 17 May 2022 14:27 UTC

https://www.polygon.com/22709126/ethereum-creator-world-of-warcraft-nerf-nft-vitalik-buterin

So you don't have to read the stupid page, the relevant quotes:

“I happily played World of Warcraft during 2007-2010, but one day Blizzard removed the damage component from my beloved warlock’s Siphon Life spell...I cried myself to sleep, and on that day I realized what horrors centralized services can bring.”

(I am a) “intellectual hipster meta-contrarian,” (my occupation) “it’s complicated”

I have no idea how NFTs would prevent this by the way.

Also for us D&D aficionados, the NFT (Non Fungible Trident):

https://external-preview.redd.it/hrgSP1rL2COo31tVU1CNZSIZKdKdJZfbQUfAydO91d0.jpg?auto=webp&s=bbc281a631fc2c6055b94704695d7cb2af700139

- Justisaur

Re: NFTs created by 15 year old who cried after his character nerfed in wow.

<mj988htnoirbcdvpoqt2mc0he3rvr4fplr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7276&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7276

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 19:21:40 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Tue, 17 May 2022 23:21 UTC

On Tue, 17 May 2022 07:27:10 -0700 (PDT), Justisaur
<justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:

Before I go on, I just want it noted that for once I didn't start an
NFT thread. I mean, I may be continuing it, but I didn't /start/ it
this time ;-)

>https://www.polygon.com/22709126/ethereum-creator-world-of-warcraft-nerf-nft-vitalik-buterin
>So you don't have to read the stupid page, the relevant quotes:

>“I happily played World of Warcraft during 2007-2010, but one
>day Blizzard removed the damage component from my beloved
>warlock’s Siphon Life spell... I cried myself to sleep, and on that
>day I realized what horrors centralized services can bring."

>I have no idea how NFTs would prevent this by the way.

They can't... but then I don't think that was his intent. It was just
a motivator: "Something I didn't like happened because it was
centralized, ergo centralized services are evil, ergo I should create
something non-centralized." Or something along those lines. I suspect.

What is particularly amusing is that Ethereum and the like are
becoming increasingly non-centralized, even if not in their core
technology, but rather through the use of exchanges. Nominally, if
everyone ran their own exchanges this wouldn't be a problem, but
almost nobody wants to do that - and in the case of people using
mobile devices to access their wallets, they CAN'T do that - so
instead they go through a centralized exchange.

Exchanges run the servers that directly interface with the ethereum
nodes and then pass the info back to the clients. But if these
exchanges - for one reason or another - decide not to display parts of
the blockchain - they more or less cease to exist. Oh sure, those
tokens are still out there on the blockchain and if you access the
nodes directly you can see them... but unless you get anyone else to
use your server rather than a validated exchange, good luck doing
anything with them beyond looking at them.

(I'm not sure if this has ever happened with actual coins... but some
NFTs have been removed from exchanges, leaving them orphaned)

Not to mention that blockchain validity is determined by the majority,
so if 51% of the blockchain says a token belongs to user X, it belongs
to user X (either that or the blockchain can split). There are
suggestions that the Chinese government is - or was - hoarding tokens
just to gain this sort of dominance over the blockchain.

And even beyond that, there's the 'real' financial institutions that
still maintain a good deal of control. Because, after all, bitcoins
and ethereum and NFTs themselves are valueless, being nothing more
than a string of electrical impulses, and unless you can tie them to
something of real-world value, you can't DO anything with them. And
increasingly, that 'tying to something of value' is coming under the
control of banks and governments. It isn't a watertight grip (yet) but
it is already under enough scrutiny to make its founding 'ideals' of
an unregulated currency nonsense, at least for the majority of users
who might want to use it for something other than buying other
crypto-coins or NFTs.

Long story short: his attempt to disprove the value of centralized
services by creating Ethereum only resulted in creating a
resource-hungry technology behind which new and old power blocks still
control things. But, of course, ultimately that's the unspoken goal of
modern crypto-currencies. For all their bemoaning about fiat
currencies and centralized banking systems and how they want to bring
freedom to the masses, ultimately its really about their not being the
ones at top. Crypto is merely a method by which they hope to become
the top-dogs, the guys with the power and the cash, even if it means
dismantling any and all financial and legal protections and cheating
the less fortunate to get there.

>Also for us D&D aficionados, the NFT (Non Fungible Trident):
>https://external-preview.redd.it/hrgSP1rL2COo31tVU1CNZSIZKdKdJZfbQUfAydO91d0.jpg?auto=webp&s=bbc281a631fc2c6055b94704695d7cb2af700139

Needs the following information added:
Purchase value: 100,000 gp
Resell value: 30cp

Re: NFTs created by 15 year old who cried after his character nerfed in wow.

<t61f8h$4c3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7278&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7278

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: NFTs created by 15 year old who cried after his character nerfed
in wow.
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 17:40:00 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Wed, 18 May 2022 00:40 UTC

On 5/17/2022 4:21 PM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Tue, 17 May 2022 07:27:10 -0700 (PDT), Justisaur
> <justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Before I go on, I just want it noted that for once I didn't start an
> NFT thread. I mean, I may be continuing it, but I didn't /start/ it
> this time ;-)

You started the whole discussion of NFTs so all NFT threads are your
fault and you will be blamed accordingly.

:P

dirty old man.

Re: NFTs created by 15 year old who cried after his character nerfed in wow.

<t629rv$bib$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7282&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7282

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
in wow.
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 09:13:49 +0100
 by: JAB - Wed, 18 May 2022 08:13 UTC

On 17/05/2022 15:27, Justisaur wrote:
> https://www.polygon.com/22709126/ethereum-creator-world-of-warcraft-nerf-nft-vitalik-buterin
>
> So you don't have to read the stupid page, the relevant quotes:
>
> “I happily played World of Warcraft during 2007-2010, but one day Blizzard removed the damage component from my beloved warlock’s Siphon Life spell...I cried myself to sleep, and on that day I realized what horrors centralized services can bring.”
>
> (I am a) “intellectual hipster meta-contrarian,” (my occupation) “it’s complicated”
>
> I have no idea how NFTs would prevent this by the way.
>
> Also for us D&D aficionados, the NFT (Non Fungible Trident):
>
> https://external-preview.redd.it/hrgSP1rL2COo31tVU1CNZSIZKdKdJZfbQUfAydO91d0.jpg?auto=webp&s=bbc281a631fc2c6055b94704695d7cb2af700139

The one I found amusing was recently a company took a bunch of
abandonware/freeware games and packaged them up as NFT's. Now as
expected some companies pointed out they were the ones who owned those
games so they had no right to do this. The net result, the game part was
removed and anyone who bought one of these NFT's was left with just a
receipt.

But, but ... it's just that you're to stupid to understand why NFT's are
a great idea!

Re: NFTs created by 15 year old who cried after his character nerfed in wow.

<3gca8hp13ni1f78o0hor7npkgm3r92blmm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7285&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7285

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 13:52:39 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Wed, 18 May 2022 17:52 UTC

On Tue, 17 May 2022 17:40:00 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
<dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>On 5/17/2022 4:21 PM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>> Before I go on, I just want it noted that for once I didn't start an
>> NFT thread. I mean, I may be continuing it, but I didn't /start/ it
>> this time ;-)

>You started the whole discussion of NFTs so all NFT threads are your
>fault and you will be blamed accordingly.

Fair enough.

But I at least want credit for trying to LIMIT how often I bring up
NFTs. You can give me that much, cantcha? ;-)

Re: NFTs created by 15 year old who cried after his character nerfed in wow.

<oqca8h5qb370hhi8vkfniqskdcqpunm74v@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7286&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7286

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 14:11:27 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Wed, 18 May 2022 18:11 UTC

On Wed, 18 May 2022 09:13:49 +0100, JAB <noway@nochance.com> wrote:
>On 17/05/2022 15:27, Justisaur wrote:

>But, but ... it's just that you're to stupid to understand why NFT's are
>a great idea!

That, and

"Don't you wanna be rich?"

and

"It's going to transform the industry/world"

are the usual responses from crypto-fanatics if their beliefs are ever
challenged. In truth, they usually have a better understanding of the
/technical/ aspects of crypto/blockchain than I do, but are painfully
naive on the implications of its usage, which betrays them when they
try to defend its transformative powers (re: response 3). And their
focus on wealth-accumulation as the end-all is just sad, and only
exposes how desperate -whether for financial security or just
attention and power - they really are.

I wish I could be less critical of them, because in some ways their
heart is in the right place. There is a problem with how much control
- of the Internet, of our property and finances - we've ceded to a
government and industry, and their desire to correct this is
admirable. But their methodology is flawed, and its been used only to
wastefully bilk the unsuspecting and allow an unscrupulous few to
amass riches and power for their own use.

Re: NFTs created by 15 year old who cried after his character nerfed in wow.

<t63luq$5qn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7288&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7288

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
in wow.
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 13:46:36 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Wed, 18 May 2022 20:46 UTC

On 5/18/2022 11:11 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Wed, 18 May 2022 09:13:49 +0100, JAB <noway@nochance.com> wrote:
>> On 17/05/2022 15:27, Justisaur wrote:
>
>> But, but ... it's just that you're to stupid to understand why NFT's are
>> a great idea!
>
> That, and
>
> "Don't you wanna be rich?"
>
> and
>
> "It's going to transform the industry/world"
>
> are the usual responses from crypto-fanatics if their beliefs are ever
> challenged. In truth, they usually have a better understanding of the
> /technical/ aspects of crypto/blockchain than I do, but are painfully
> naive on the implications of its usage, which betrays them when they
> try to defend its transformative powers (re: response 3). And their
> focus on wealth-accumulation as the end-all is just sad, and only
> exposes how desperate -whether for financial security or just
> attention and power - they really are.
>
> I wish I could be less critical of them, because in some ways their
> heart is in the right place. There is a problem with how much control
> - of the Internet, of our property and finances - we've ceded to a
> government and industry, and their desire to correct this is
> admirable. But their methodology is flawed, and its been used only to
> wastefully bilk the unsuspecting and allow an unscrupulous few to
> amass riches and power for their own use.

https://leasticoulddo.com/comic/20220518

dirty old man.

Re: NFTs created by 15 year old who cried after his character nerfed in wow.

<t63m04$5qn$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7289&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7289

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
in wow.
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 13:47:19 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Wed, 18 May 2022 20:47 UTC

On 5/18/2022 10:52 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Tue, 17 May 2022 17:40:00 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
> <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>> On 5/17/2022 4:21 PM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>
>>> Before I go on, I just want it noted that for once I didn't start an
>>> NFT thread. I mean, I may be continuing it, but I didn't /start/ it
>>> this time ;-)
>
>> You started the whole discussion of NFTs so all NFT threads are your
>> fault and you will be blamed accordingly.
>
> Fair enough.
>
> But I at least want credit for trying to LIMIT how often I bring up
> NFTs. You can give me that much, cantcha? ;-)

Could? Sure. Will? Naaaah. :P

dirty old man.