From: barry.pu...@gmail.com (Barry Punchard)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Subject: Vkeyboard addition?
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2021 22:14:47 +0300
 by: Barry Punchard - Thu, 7 Oct 2021 19:14 UTC

I use VRPC, RO v4.39 running on a laptop which lacks a break key. That means no
Alt-Break is possible without pulling a keyboard from the Pi3B elsewhere in the
house. Question to Kevin - is it possible to add a Break key to Vkeyboard now
that it has an Alt key?

The reason I need it, is that pdfs in a RISCOS reader often go to an endless
hourglass losing unsaved work when I reboot VRPC.

I asked a similar question a few years ago, but there seemed there was no
positive solution then. Thanks for any comments.

Barry
--
__ ___
//_)) //__))

Re: Vkeyboard addition?

<7a393a7859.Kevin@Kevsoft>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=725&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#725

From: kev...@kevsoft.co.uk (Kevin Wells)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Subject: Re: Vkeyboard addition?
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2021 15:21:50 +0100
 by: Kevin Wells - Fri, 8 Oct 2021 14:21 UTC

In message <6135d17759.barry.punchard@barry.gmail.com>
Barry Punchard <barry.punchard@gmail.com> wrote:

>I use VRPC, RO v4.39 running on a laptop which lacks a break key. That means no
>Alt-Break is possible without pulling a keyboard from the Pi3B elsewhere in the
>house. Question to Kevin - is it possible to add a Break key to Vkeyboard now
>that it has an Alt key?

ALt Break could be possible if I can get th keycode for it.

>The reason I need it, is that pdfs in a RISCOS reader often go to an endless
>hourglass losing unsaved work when I reboot VRPC.

Vkeyboard would not be of use in a situation like that, as you could not
use Vkeyboard as the computer would is not responding to mouse clicks.

>I asked a similar question a few years ago, but there seemed there was no
>positive solution then. Thanks for any comments.

Somewhere there is a keyboard remapper, which allows you to give a
different key or combinations of keys to another key.

Keymapper

<http://effarig.co.uk/riscos/>

--
Kev Wells
http://kevsoft.co.uk/ https://ko-fi.com/kevsoft

Re: Vkeyboard addition?

<3000987859.barry.punchard@barry.gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=728&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#728

From: barry.pu...@gmail.com (Barry Punchard)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2021 10:26:07 +0300
 by: Barry Punchard - Sat, 9 Oct 2021 07:26 UTC

On 8 Oct kev@kevsoft.co.uk wrote:

> In message <6135d17759.barry.punchard@barry.gmail.com>
> Barry Punchard <barry.punchard@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I use VRPC, RO v4.39 running on a laptop which lacks a break key. That means
> >no

> >Alt-Break is possible without pulling a keyboard from the Pi3B elsewhere in
> >the

> >house. Question to Kevin - is it possible to add a Break key to Vkeyboard now
> >that it has an Alt key?
>
> ALt Break could be possible if I can get th keycode for it.
> >
> >The reason I need it, is that pdfs in a RISCOS reader often go to an endless
> >hourglass losing unsaved work when I reboot VRPC.
>
> Vkeyboard would not be of use in a situation like that, as you could not
> use Vkeyboard as the computer would is not responding to mouse clicks.

Thanks for the response Kevin. Of course, you are right. I should have thought
longer about the question.

> >I asked a similar question a few years ago, but there seemed there was no
> >positive solution then. Thanks for any comments.
> >
> Somewhere there is a keyboard remapper, which allows you to give a
> different key or combinations of keys to another key.
>
> Keymapper
>
> <http://effarig.co.uk/riscos/>

I suppose, too, that as VRPC is also software that nothing run on the RISCOS
side would serve the purpose. I suppose it comes down to being a PC question -
that is the key remapping must be under the still functioning Windows software.
Barry

--
__ ___
//_)) //__))
//__))arry //unchard mailto:barry.punchard@gmail.com
____________________

Re: Vkeyboard addition?

<10b9b07859.Kevin@Kevsoft>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=733&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#733

From: kev...@kevsoft.co.uk (Kevin Wells)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2021 12:56:09 +0100
 by: Kevin Wells - Sat, 9 Oct 2021 11:56 UTC

In message <3000987859.barry.punchard@barry.gmail.com>
Barry Punchard <barry.punchard@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 8 Oct kev@kevsoft.co.uk wrote:
>
>> In message <6135d17759.barry.punchard@barry.gmail.com>
>> Barry Punchard <barry.punchard@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I use VRPC, RO v4.39 running on a laptop which lacks a break key. That means
>> >no
>
>> >Alt-Break is possible without pulling a keyboard from the Pi3B elsewhere in
>> >the
>
>> >house. Question to Kevin - is it possible to add a Break key to Vkeyboard now
>> >that it has an Alt key?
>>
>> ALt Break could be possible if I can get th keycode for it.
>> >
>> >The reason I need it, is that pdfs in a RISCOS reader often go to an endless
>> >hourglass losing unsaved work when I reboot VRPC.
>>
>> Vkeyboard would not be of use in a situation like that, as you could not
>> use Vkeyboard as the computer would is not responding to mouse clicks.
>
>Thanks for the response Kevin. Of course, you are right. I should have thought
>longer about the question.
>> >
>> >I asked a similar question a few years ago, but there seemed there was no
>> >positive solution then. Thanks for any comments.
>> >
>> Somewhere there is a keyboard remapper, which allows you to give a
>> different key or combinations of keys to another key.
>>
>> Keymapper
>>
>> <http://effarig.co.uk/riscos/>
>
>I suppose, too, that as VRPC is also software that nothing run on the RISCOS
>side would serve the purpose. I suppose it comes down to being a PC question -
>that is the key remapping must be under the still functioning Windows software.
>Barry

You can assign another key to represenet the break key with Keymapper

--
Kev Wells
http://kevsoft.co.uk/ https://ko-fi.com/kevsoft
carpe cervisium
O it's " Thin red line of 'eroes, " when the drums begin to roll.

Re: Vkeyboard addition?

<22ac317f59.bryan@helpful-demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=778&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#778

From: spa...@nowhere.invalid (Bryan Hogan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 04:01:51 +0100
 by: Bryan Hogan - Fri, 22 Oct 2021 03:01 UTC

In message <7a393a7859.Kevin@Kevsoft>
Kevin Wells <kev@kevsoft.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <6135d17759.barry.punchard@barry.gmail.com>
> Barry Punchard <barry.punchard@gmail.com> wrote:

>>The reason I need it, is that pdfs in a RISCOS reader often go to an endless
>>hourglass losing unsaved work when I reboot VRPC.

Are you sure it has crashed rather than simply taking a long time? Even on
native hardware with VFP support some pdfs can take a while to display, so
under an emulator you might need patience!

> Somewhere there is a keyboard remapper, which allows you to give a
> different key or combinations of keys to another key.
> Keymapper - http://effarig.co.uk/riscos/

My laptop also has no Break key (amongst others) so I have Keymapper in
the boot sequence with the following Obey file to start it:

RMensure Keymapper 0.00 RMLoad <Obey$Dir>.Keymapper
| Map Menu to Menu
KeyMap 104 113
KeyMap 106 113
| Map Insert to Break
KeyMap 31 15
| Map Right-Ctrl to Left-Alt
KeyMap 97 94

Bryan.

--
RISC OS User Group Of London - http://www.rougol.jellybaby.net/
RISC OS London Show - http://www.riscoslondonshow.co.uk/

Re: Vkeyboard addition?

<2ff50c8159.barry.punchard@barry.gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=781&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#781

From: barry.pu...@gmail.com (Barry Punchard)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 20:33:14 +0300
 by: Barry Punchard - Mon, 25 Oct 2021 17:33 UTC

On 22 Oct spam@nowhere.invalid wrote:

> In message <7a393a7859.Kevin@Kevsoft>
> Kevin Wells <kev@kevsoft.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > In message <6135d17759.barry.punchard@barry.gmail.com>
> > Barry Punchard <barry.punchard@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >>The reason I need it, is that pdfs in a RISCOS reader often go to an endless
> >>hourglass losing unsaved work when I reboot VRPC.
>
> Are you sure it has crashed rather than simply taking a long time? Even on
> native hardware with VFP support some pdfs can take a while to display, so
> under an emulator you might need patience!

No, it's definitely not crashed, maybe endlessly looping. Most of the pdfs I
want to access under RISCOS are under 1.5 MB and load in a few seconds.
Occasionally, I will try to access one, which may be say 20 MB, and after 30
seconds of waiting I am not interested in the *reason* for the delay - it is
just too long, fullstop. Alternatively, it may not be the pdf file size, but
whatever the cause, I prefer to just quit and do it under windows.

> > Somewhere there is a keyboard remapper, which allows you to give a
> > different key or combinations of keys to another key.
> > Keymapper - http://effarig.co.uk/riscos/
>
> My laptop also has no Break key (amongst others) so I have Keymapper in
> the boot sequence with the following Obey file to start it:
>
> RMensure Keymapper 0.00 RMLoad <Obey$Dir>.Keymapper
> | Map Menu to Menu
> KeyMap 104 113
> KeyMap 106 113
> | Map Insert to Break
> KeyMap 31 15
> | Map Right-Ctrl to Left-Alt
> KeyMap 97 94
>
> Bryan.

Thanks for that, Bryan. With slight modifications that does exactly what I want.
I am pleased you posted the info.

Any ideas where the module and the obey file may best be placed in the Boot
sequence? In my case the OS is 4.39. Would the Keymapper module be best in
Resources.System.310.Modules?

If I want the obey to ALWAYS run, would it be best in
Choices.Users.Single.Tasks?

If the above is best, then what should the <Obey$Dir> in the RMensure line be
set to?

Thanks for the help.
Barry

--