Subject: Upgrading FF on this oldster
From: not...@this.juncture.com (Jess Fertudei)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2023 12:03:16 -0500
 by: Jess Fertudei - Sun, 19 Nov 2023 17:03 UTC

Sorry if not properly crossposted, for some reason MesNews or Giganews
was just sitting there doing nothing when I tried.

------

So, I tend to follow the idiom that something is only obsolete when it
no longer does the things I need it to do. I have finally had that
happen.

I am running FF 72.0.2 on an always-on Win7 box. AMD AthlonII 640 quad
core 3g proc. 16G RAM

I have a gazillion bookmarks.

I also have a few tabs that I keep open at all times, doing the
'Restore Last Session' bit any time I have to restart.

If I updgrade to the final ESR for this box, will I:

Lose or scramble my bookmarks and peculiar trees I keep them in? Will
it do bad things to them like decide I should have alphabetized them or
some danged thing?
Will it make a bookmark file that is more or less portable if I do
finally decide to build a new box over the winter?

Will I be able to do a 'Restore Last Session' that will bring back the
tabs I had open before telling it to upgrade? (some of these tabs I do
a back/forward button to check for changes that go back 10 pages and
then forward again to where I like to let it idle, so to speak). This
may not make sense to some, but it is very important to me.

thanks for any input.

Re: Upgrading FF on this oldster

<ujdjqd$3tir0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7282&group=alt.windows7.general#7282

From: Newya...@invalid.nospam (Newyana2)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Upgrading FF on this oldster
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2023 13:22:46 -0500
 by: Newyana2 - Sun, 19 Nov 2023 18:22 UTC

"Jess Fertudei" <not@this.juncture.com> wrote

| Will I be able to do a 'Restore Last Session' that will bring back the
| tabs I had open before telling it to upgrade? (some of these tabs I do
| a back/forward button to check for changes that go back 10 pages and
| then forward again to where I like to let it idle, so to speak). This
| may not make sense to some, but it is very important to me.

I don't know how that will work out. I turn off my computer
daily, close FF when I'm not using it, and generally don't
leave windows open if I'm not using them. But there is one thing
you should know: FF has changed significantly since v. 72.
Extensions you have may not work. Settings you've saved may
be gone. Etc

Re: Upgrading FF on this oldster

<ujdn9k$3u46u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7286&group=alt.windows7.general#7286

From: jav...@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2023 19:22:27 +0000
 by: Java Jive - Sun, 19 Nov 2023 19:22 UTC

On 19/11/2023 17:03, Jess Fertudei wrote:

> Sorry if not properly crossposted, for some reason MesNews or Giganews
> was just sitting there doing nothing when I tried.
>
> ------
>
> So, I tend to follow the idiom that something is only obsolete when it
> no longer does the things I need it to do. I have finally had that happen.
>
> I am running FF 72.0.2 on an always-on Win7 box. AMD AthlonII 640 quad
> core 3g proc. 16G RAM
>
> I have a gazillion bookmarks.
>
> I also have a few tabs that I keep open at all times, doing the 'Restore
> Last Session' bit any time I have to restart.
>
> If I updgrade to the final ESR for this box, will I:
>
> Lose or scramble my bookmarks and peculiar trees I keep them in? Will it
> do bad things to them like decide I should have alphabetized them or
> some danged thing?
> Will it make a bookmark file that is more or less portable if I do
> finally decide to build a new box over the winter?
>
> Will I be able to do a 'Restore Last Session' that will bring back the
> tabs I had open before telling it to upgrade? (some of these tabs I do a
> back/forward button to check for changes that go back 10 pages and then
> forward again to where I like to let it idle, so to speak). This may not
> make sense to some, but it is very important to me.
>
> thanks for any input.

There are some things to note about upgrading Firefox, particularly if,
like myself, you run different versions on different PCs running
different OSs, but would like to have the same FF profile on each. This
used to be a no brainer, but not any more, in fact it's no longer
possible without a deal of hassle that this user and probably most
others would think more trouble than it's worth, except perhaps to
resurrect things in an emergency. The reason is as follows ...

An upgraded version of FF will load and update a profile from a previous
version fine, but if you then copy that upgraded profile back to another
PC running an older version of FF, it will refuse to load it, and insist
on creating a new profile instead.

So my advice would be that before allowing FF to upgrade itself:

1) Ensure that you have installation files for your current version, in
case you need to roll back.

2) Back up your current profile by physically copying its entire
directory to a safe other place. Its location can be found from:

C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini

3) Back up all your bookmarks by exporting them under 'Manage
Bookmarks'. There are two different ways to save them, 'Backup' and
'Export to HTML', I'd say do both, in the case of the latter again to a
safe other place.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: Upgrading FF on this oldster

<s8zux951s3la$.1idh6el2dk8ti.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7295&group=alt.windows7.general#7295

From: jj4pub...@outlook.com (JJ)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 10:29:20 +0700
 by: JJ - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 03:29 UTC

On Sun, 19 Nov 2023 12:03:16 -0500, Jess Fertudei wrote:
> Sorry if not properly crossposted, for some reason MesNews or Giganews
> was just sitting there doing nothing when I tried.
>
> ------
>
> So, I tend to follow the idiom that something is only obsolete when it
> no longer does the things I need it to do. I have finally had that
> happen.
>
> I am running FF 72.0.2 on an always-on Win7 box. AMD AthlonII 640 quad
> core 3g proc. 16G RAM
>
> I have a gazillion bookmarks.
>
> I also have a few tabs that I keep open at all times, doing the
> 'Restore Last Session' bit any time I have to restart.
>
> If I updgrade to the final ESR for this box, will I:
>
> Lose or scramble my bookmarks and peculiar trees I keep them in? Will
> it do bad things to them like decide I should have alphabetized them or
> some danged thing?
> Will it make a bookmark file that is more or less portable if I do
> finally decide to build a new box over the winter?
>
> Will I be able to do a 'Restore Last Session' that will bring back the
> tabs I had open before telling it to upgrade? (some of these tabs I do
> a back/forward button to check for changes that go back 10 pages and
> then forward again to where I like to let it idle, so to speak). This
> may not make sense to some, but it is very important to me.
>
> thanks for any input.

I use FF v115 (Developer edition). The last version for Win7. It still have
auto-save session feature, and will restore the session when FF is started
again. e.g. restore tabs and their histories after power blackout (i.e.
abrupt web brower application termination).

FF would keep all previous settings - even for features which are no longer
included. However, newer FF versions may use newer database version. FF will
update older database versions. But FF will not downgrade newer database
version to an older one, in case users later decided that it's better to use
the older FF version. That would make users end up stuck with the newer FF
version. So, do backup the browser profile first, before trying newer FF
version.

Re: Upgrading FF on this oldster

<ujfioo$abl7$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7300&group=alt.windows7.general#7300

From: NIXCAPSs...@NIXCAPSunforgettable.com (Sailfish)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 04:17:30 -0800
 by: Sailfish - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 12:17 UTC

Jess Fertudei graced us with on 11/19/2023 9:03 AM:
> Sorry if not properly crossposted, for some reason MesNews or Giganews
> was just sitting there doing nothing when I tried.
>
> ------
>
> So, I tend to follow the idiom that something is only obsolete when it
> no longer does the things I need it to do. I have finally had that happen.
>
> I am running FF 72.0.2 on an always-on Win7 box. AMD AthlonII 640 quad
> core 3g proc. 16G RAM
>
> I have a gazillion bookmarks.
>
> I also have a few tabs that I keep open at all times, doing the 'Restore
> Last Session' bit any time I have to restart.
>

> If I updgrade to the final ESR for this box, will I:
>

> Lose or scramble my bookmarks and peculiar trees I keep them in? Will it
> do bad things to them like decide I should have alphabetized them or
> some danged thing?
> Will it make a bookmark file that is more or less portable if I do
> finally decide to build a new box over the winter?

The tree structure remained the same for me but they they removed the
Properties Description box (and any and all data contain in them.) I've
still not recovered from Mozilla's negligent data loss regression of
that bit of tampering.

--
Sailfish
CDC Covid19 Trends: https://www.facebook.com/groups/624208354841034