Our way is peace. -- Septimus, the Son Worshiper, "Bread and Circuses", stardate 4040.7.

computers / comp.os.linux.misc / Re: Forcing TTY resolution to a LED TV via HDMI connector

SubjectAuthor
* Forcing TTY resolution to a LED TV via HDMI connectorAndreas Kohlbach
+* Re: Forcing TTY resolution to a LED TV via HDMI connectorJohn Forkosh
|`* Re: Forcing TTY resolution to a LED TV via HDMI connectorAndreas Kohlbach
| `* Re: Forcing TTY resolution to a LED TV via HDMI connectorComputer Nerd Kev
|  `* Re: Forcing TTY resolution to a LED TV via HDMI connectorAndreas Kohlbach
|   `* Re: Forcing TTY resolution to a LED TV via HDMI connectorComputer Nerd Kev
|    `* Re: Forcing TTY resolution to a LED TV via HDMI connectorAndreas Kohlbach
|     +* Re: Forcing TTY resolution to a LED TV via HDMI connectorRobert Komar
|     |`* Re: Forcing TTY resolution to a LED TV via HDMI connectorAndreas Kohlbach
|     | `* Re: Forcing TTY resolution to a LED TV via HDMI connectorRich
|     |  `- Re: Forcing TTY resolution to a LED TV via HDMI connectorAndreas Kohlbach
|     `* Re: Forcing TTY resolution to a LED TV via HDMI connectorComputer Nerd Kev
|      `* Re: Forcing TTY resolution to a LED TV via HDMI connectorAndreas Kohlbach
|       `* Re: Forcing TTY resolution to a LED TV via HDMI connectorComputer Nerd Kev
|        `- Re: Forcing TTY resolution to a LED TV via HDMI connectorAndreas Kohlbach
`* Re: Forcing TTY resolution to a LED TV via HDMI connectorPascal Hambourg
 +* Re: Forcing TTY resolution to a LED TV via HDMI connectorAndreas Kohlbach
 |`* Re: Forcing TTY resolution to a LED TV via HDMI connectorPascal Hambourg
 | `* Re: Forcing TTY resolution to a LED TV via HDMI connectorAndreas Kohlbach
 |  +* Re: Forcing TTY resolution to a LED TV via HDMI connectorPascal Hambourg
 |  |+- Re: Forcing TTY resolution to a LED TV via HDMI connectorAndreas Kohlbach
 |  |`- Re: Forcing TTY resolution to a LED TV via HDMI connectorAndreas Kohlbach
 |  `* Re: Forcing TTY resolution to a LED TV via HDMI connectorComputer Nerd Kev
 |   `* Re: Forcing TTY resolution to a LED TV via HDMI connectorAnssi Saari
 |    `- Re: Forcing TTY resolution to a LED TV via HDMI connectorComputer Nerd Kev
 `- Re: Forcing TTY resolution to a LED TV via HDMI connectorAndreas Kohlbach

Pages:12
Re: Forcing TTY resolution to a LED TV via HDMI connector

<87zgjuk9m9.fsf@usenet.ankman.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7286&group=comp.os.linux.misc#7286

From: ank...@spamfence.net (Andreas Kohlbach)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Forcing TTY resolution to a LED TV via HDMI connector
Date: Fri, 06 May 2022 10:40:14 -0400
 by: Andreas Kohlbach - Fri, 6 May 2022 14:40 UTC

On Thu, 21 Apr 2022 07:25:32 +0200, Pascal Hambourg wrote:

> Le 16/04/2022 à 02:22, Andreas Kohlbach a écrit :
>> On a 2014 DELL computer I installed Debian a few months ago. I once used
>> a VGA connection to an older Haier LED TV, which gave me 1920x1080 on
>> both X (MATE) and the TTY. Because VGA doesn't support audio and I had an
>> HDMI cable handy I used that instead. I had to fall back to 1280x1024
>> (ugly aspect ratio) because that is the highest the TV supports on
>> HDMI. I set 1280x1024 up for X, but when I switch to a TTY the TV goes to
>> 1920x1080 (it reports "1080p" in a popup) and much of the content
>> vanishes.
>
> Looks like the HDMI input of that TV is broken. Maybe bad EDID.
> Did you try with another computer or HDMI source ?
>
> You can try to force alternate EDID with the following kernel parameter:
>
> drm.edid_firmware= (drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware for older kernels)
>
> Possible values include edid/1280x1024.bin, edid/1680x1050.bin, or
> edid/1920x1080.bin. See kernel-parameters in the kernel documentation
> for details.

I tried edid/800x600.bin which caused the display to suspend (TV reported
"No signal" almost immediately). Luckily it booted and I could reverse
the grub entry via ssh access and am back to "normal".

For the TTYs I set up a font TERMINUS 16x32 which almost shows all
characters (display is still 1920x1080 which the TV cannot handle). Still
I'd like an even larger font. Anyone knows what package to install (in
Debian) for that?
--
Andreas