Hoping to goodness is not theologically sound. - Peanuts

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Re: Free Game: Borderlands 3

SubjectAuthor
* Free Game: Borderlands 3Spalls Hurgenson
+- Re: Free Game: Borderlands 3Ant
+* Re: Free Game: Borderlands 3Ant
|`* Re: Free Game: Borderlands 3Ross Ridge
| +- Re: Free Game: Borderlands 3Justisaur
| `- Re: Free Game: Borderlands 3Mike S.
`* Re: Free Game: Borderlands 3PW
 +* Re: Free Game: Borderlands 3Mike S.
 |+- Re: Free Game: Borderlands 3Anssi Saari
 |`* Re: Free Game: Borderlands 3Justisaur
 | `- Re: Free Game: Borderlands 3Mike S.
 `* Re: Free Game: Borderlands 3Spalls Hurgenson
  +* Re: Free Game: Borderlands 3Mike S.
  |`* Re: Free Game: Borderlands 3Spalls Hurgenson
  | `* Re: Free Game: Borderlands 3Mike S.
  |  `* Re: Free Game: Borderlands 3JAB
  |   `* Re: Free Game: Borderlands 3Spalls Hurgenson
  |    `* Re: Free Game: Borderlands 3JAB
  |     `- Re: Free Game: Borderlands 3Spalls Hurgenson
  +- Re: Free Game: Borderlands 3Anssi Saari
  `* Re: Free Game: Borderlands 3Justisaur
   `- Re: Free Game: Borderlands 3Anssi Saari

1
Free Game: Borderlands 3

<o00d8hhn8foc5vm6n30ihlpg8kpirark2p@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7295&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7295

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Free Game: Borderlands 3
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 13:41:51 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Thu, 19 May 2022 17:41 UTC

Thursdays. I never could get the hang of Thursdays.

But at least we get a free game today. This week:

Borderlands 3
https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/borderlands-3

The Borderlands franchise has been pretty hit or miss for me. Its
humor is not quite to my taste, and its emphasis on the quantity of
its weapons over their quality is turn-off. But its got reasonably
good production values, and the gunplay is fairly satisfying. It's not
a game I'd rush out to buy, but if its free, it's worth grabbing it.
If you like looter-shooters, you'll enjoy this a lot; if you're not
into the genre, you still may find some enjoyment just for the
shooting and imaginative setting. It's not going to make any converts,
but there are worse games out there.

You got a week to grab it free, before they have the gall to make you
pay money for the privilege, so don't waste any time.

Re: Free Game: Borderlands 3

<4LSdna51V_lOGxv_nZ2dnUU7-SudnZ2d@earthlink.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7297&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7297

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Subject: Re: Free Game: Borderlands 3
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 13:05:07 -0500
 by: Ant - Thu, 19 May 2022 18:05 UTC

Dang. I just saw your post after posting about it. Haha.

--
Quiet cooler week so far, but will today be slammy? Celtics have better get burned by Miami Heat!
| |o o| |

Re: Free Game: Borderlands 3

<aLqdndH5s-kXURv_nZ2dnUU7-e-dnZ2d@earthlink.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7299&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7299

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 18:02:34 -0500
 by: Ant - Thu, 19 May 2022 23:02 UTC

They should had released the first two since I have never played them
before. :P

Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thursdays. I never could get the hang of Thursdays.

> But at least we get a free game today. This week:

> Borderlands 3
> https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/borderlands-3

> The Borderlands franchise has been pretty hit or miss for me. Its
> humor is not quite to my taste, and its emphasis on the quantity of
> its weapons over their quality is turn-off. But its got reasonably
> good production values, and the gunplay is fairly satisfying. It's not
> a game I'd rush out to buy, but if its free, it's worth grabbing it.
> If you like looter-shooters, you'll enjoy this a lot; if you're not
> into the genre, you still may find some enjoyment just for the
> shooting and imaginative setting. It's not going to make any converts,
> but there are worse games out there.

> You got a week to grab it free, before they have the gall to make you
> pay money for the privilege, so don't waste any time.

--
Quiet cooler week so far, but will today be slammy? Celtics have better get burned by Miami Heat!
| |o o| |
\ _ /
( )

Re: Free Game: Borderlands 3

<t66qo3$163d$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7301&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7301

From: rri...@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Ross Ridge)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 01:26:27 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Ross Ridge)
 by: Ross Ridge - Fri, 20 May 2022 01:26 UTC

Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:
>They should had released the first two since I have never played them
>before. :P

They actually have given away Borderlands 2 and Borderlands: The
Pre-Sequel before, but not the original Borderlands game which doesn't
even appear to be for sale on their store. The story isn't very deep
in these games, so you're not going to miss anything by playing them
out of order, although I think most people here prefer the first game
over the others.

--
l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
[oo][oo] rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca

Re: Free Game: Borderlands 3

<d425d78a-6f26-4efc-87ea-c2536a8eb3e9n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7303&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7303

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 18:59:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Fri, 20 May 2022 01:59 UTC

On Thursday, May 19, 2022 at 6:26:30 PM UTC-7, Ross Ridge wrote:
> Ant <a...@zimage.comANT> wrote:
> >They should had released the first two since I have never played them
> >before. :P
> They actually have given away Borderlands 2 and Borderlands: The
> Pre-Sequel before, but not the original Borderlands game which doesn't
> even appear to be for sale on their store. The story isn't very deep
> in these games, so you're not going to miss anything by playing them
> out of order, although I think most people here prefer the first game
> over the others.

I might have liked 2 better? I didn't really like B1 much until I got the
DLCs. I think for someone new to the franchise I'd send them at the one
set on a moon. I think that's the Pre-Sequel? The mechanics of the game
are the best of them, I was just a bit bored of yet another Borderlands at
the time.

The one thing I did prefer about B1 is that all the latter ones make you farm
a lot more.

- Justisaur

Re: Free Game: Borderlands 3

<9tvd8hd0324fesn6ooahb7eghbtdlhnptv@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7304&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7304

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 20:42:10 -0600
 by: PW - Fri, 20 May 2022 02:42 UTC

On Thu, 19 May 2022 13:41:51 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>Thursdays. I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
>
>But at least we get a free game today. This week:
>
>Borderlands 3
>https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/borderlands-3
>
>The Borderlands franchise has been pretty hit or miss for me. Its
>humor is not quite to my taste, and its emphasis on the quantity of
>its weapons over their quality is turn-off. But its got reasonably
>good production values, and the gunplay is fairly satisfying. It's not
>a game I'd rush out to buy, but if its free, it's worth grabbing it.
>If you like looter-shooters, you'll enjoy this a lot; if you're not
>into the genre, you still may find some enjoyment just for the
>shooting and imaginative setting. It's not going to make any converts,
>but there are worse games out there.
>
>You got a week to grab it free, before they have the gall to make you
>pay money for the privilege, so don't waste any time.

*--

I like Borderlands 2 until I got sick of the long way between
checkpoints and rinse and repeat.

Didn't like the reviews of this one but I grabbed and even installed
it! It's free!

-pw

Re: Free Game: Borderlands 3

<ja2f8h1205fltln17nl29cdlg8aned1pre@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7308&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7308

From: Mik...@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 08:44:34 -0400
 by: Mike S. - Fri, 20 May 2022 12:44 UTC

On Fri, 20 May 2022 01:26:27 -0000 (UTC), rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca
(Ross Ridge) wrote:

>They actually have given away Borderlands 2 and Borderlands: The
>Pre-Sequel before, but not the original Borderlands game which doesn't
>even appear to be for sale on their store. The story isn't very deep
>in these games, so you're not going to miss anything by playing them
>out of order, although I think most people here prefer the first game
>over the others.

I loved the original Borderlands. I played the sequel for a time with
a friend and I liked how certain things in the sequel worked better.

For instance, in the original, when you earn the in-game achievements
(called Challenges I think) you get experience points as a reward.
But if you do all the side content, you are going to max out your
character level anyway by end-game.

In Borderlands 2, when you earn in-game achievements, you earn points
that you spend on upgrading your character statistics. The best part
is, these points you earn are applied to all characters on your
account.

The two problems I remember being brought up about Borderlands 2 is..

1. The story sucked. Well, no problem for me, I don't care about that.

2. Crappy loot table requiring you to grind too much for gear. This
does suck if it is true. And I believe it is true because I read this
not only here on Usenet, but on forums elsewhere.

In short, I think the first two Borderlands are both worth playing if
you want a first person shooter with Diablo style loot. I also agree,
that you can easily play them out of order.

Re: Free Game: Borderlands 3

<vd3f8h1dcgvdgmg9d6sl4dvr15ih06nslo@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7309&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7309

From: Mik...@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 08:49:43 -0400
 by: Mike S. - Fri, 20 May 2022 12:49 UTC

On Thu, 19 May 2022 20:42:10 -0600, PW
<iamnotusingonewithAgent@notinuse.com> wrote:

>I like Borderlands 2 until I got sick of the long way between
>checkpoints and rinse and repeat.

This was never an issue in the first game for me and I hope it does
not become an issue for me in the second game.

Re: Free Game: Borderlands 3

<8jgf8hpjsub4aa6lrqdcmd8emg5e9g8mcd@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7311&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7311

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 12:37:19 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Fri, 20 May 2022 16:37 UTC

On Thu, 19 May 2022 20:42:10 -0600, PW
<iamnotusingonewithAgent@notinuse.com> wrote:
>On Thu, 19 May 2022 13:41:51 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
><spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>>But at least we get a free game today. This week:
>>Borderlands 3
>>https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/borderlands-3

>I like Borderlands 2 until I got sick of the long way between
>checkpoints and rinse and repeat.

I never really cared for the franchise at all. Looter-shooters are too
repetitive for my liking, and the 'excitement' of getting a gun that
does 5% more damage than the one I'm already holding totally escapes
me. I've played them, but a lot of the experience is "I've started the
thing, and I'll be damned if I don't get to the end" determination
rather than "wheee, this is great!" joy.

Having said that, there was a DLC - I think for the second game? -
that half-transformed the game into a whimsical D&D session, which was
just off-beat enough and just different enough that it made the game
somewhat enjoyable. It didn't justify the price of the whole package
and I wouldn't recommend anyone buy the game just for that DLC, but it
was a bright spot in an otherwise dreary slog.

>Didn't like the reviews of this one but I grabbed and even installed
>it! It's free!

That's the spirit!

Re: Free Game: Borderlands 3

<iulf8hpr76v0almlnsjdjldutg87seb6t4@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7314&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7314

From: Mik...@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 14:07:46 -0400
 by: Mike S. - Fri, 20 May 2022 18:07 UTC

On Fri, 20 May 2022 12:37:19 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>I never really cared for the franchise at all. Looter-shooters are too
>repetitive for my liking, and the 'excitement' of getting a gun that
>does 5% more damage than the one I'm already holding totally escapes
>me. I've played them, but a lot of the experience is "I've started the
>thing, and I'll be damned if I don't get to the end" determination
>rather than "wheee, this is great!" joy.

If you have any real world friends who play video games, try
Borderlands with them. I have played it both solo and with friends and
while I obviously like this game more then you did solo, I still had a
better time playing it multiplayer. Loot type games (Borderlands,
Diablo, etc..) are always more fun with friends.

Re: Free Game: Borderlands 3

<sm0tu9jev3p.fsf@lakka.kapsi.fi>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7315&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7315

From: as...@sci.fi (Anssi Saari)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 00:45:46 +0300
sha1:ozPEHXH4t+uOtBU2rWQwwcC5Pkg=
 by: Anssi Saari - Fri, 20 May 2022 21:45 UTC

Mike S. <Mike_S@nowhere.com> writes:

>>I like Borderlands 2 until I got sick of the long way between
>>checkpoints and rinse and repeat.
>
> This was never an issue in the first game for me and I hope it does
> not become an issue for me in the second game.

As I recall, the main BL2 plot missions are quite long and PW got stuck
in the first one. I think I guessed then they're about an hour and a
half of play time long and there's no resuming those missions if you
quit the game. I remember someone else said no to my guesstimate so
YMMV.

By playtime I think I've played BL2 the most, BL3 second most maybe, or
could be BL1 too. The pre-sequel I liked the least.

Re: Free Game: Borderlands 3

<sm0pmk7eukm.fsf@lakka.kapsi.fi>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7316&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7316

From: as...@sci.fi (Anssi Saari)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 00:57:13 +0300
sha1:fFEhAfaRWu/ThLdvw7bQzo2ReCY=
 by: Anssi Saari - Fri, 20 May 2022 21:57 UTC

Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> writes:

> I never really cared for the franchise at all. Looter-shooters are too
> repetitive for my liking, and the 'excitement' of getting a gun that
> does 5% more damage than the one I'm already holding totally escapes
> me. I've played them, but a lot of the experience is "I've started the
> thing, and I'll be damned if I don't get to the end" determination
> rather than "wheee, this is great!" joy.

For me it's not about the loot that much, there's also character
development. Of course, that too is about 5% damage increments but you
do get up to a minor god's level of mayhem. This wasn't so good in the
original (took too long to develop the character) but BL2 and BL3 have
some pretty tasty setups achievable without ridiculous amount of
grinding for loot.

> Having said that, there was a DLC - I think for the second game? -
> that half-transformed the game into a whimsical D&D session, which was
> just off-beat enough and just different enough that it made the game
> somewhat enjoyable. It didn't justify the price of the whole package
> and I wouldn't recommend anyone buy the game just for that DLC, but it
> was a bright spot in an otherwise dreary slog.

Gearbox turned that DLC into a standalone, "Tiny Tina's Assault on
Dragon Keep". I think it was a giveaway at some point on some condition,
like maybe owning BL3? Really marketing for their almost but not quite
Borderlands game, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands.

Re: Free Game: Borderlands 3

<fndg8ht9qrokn3ifi6lquo9724khtpjtaa@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7318&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7318

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 20:58:36 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Sat, 21 May 2022 00:58 UTC

On Fri, 20 May 2022 14:07:46 -0400, Mike S. <Mike_S@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 20 May 2022 12:37:19 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
><spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I never really cared for the franchise at all. Looter-shooters are too
>>repetitive for my liking, and the 'excitement' of getting a gun that
>>does 5% more damage than the one I'm already holding totally escapes
>>me. I've played them, but a lot of the experience is "I've started the
>>thing, and I'll be damned if I don't get to the end" determination
>>rather than "wheee, this is great!" joy.
>
>If you have any real world friends who play video games, try
>Borderlands with them. I have played it both solo and with friends and
>while I obviously like this game more then you did solo, I still had a
>better time playing it multiplayer. Loot type games (Borderlands,
>Diablo, etc..) are always more fun with friends.

Of my real world chums, only one of them is a PC gamer (when the
others play games its on consoles, and even then not too often). He
absolutely detested "Borderlands". I don't think I'd get very far
suggesting a multiplayer match with him if I suggested that game ;-)

But then, I don't think it would really change my opinion of the game
either. I'm not a tremendous fan of multiplayer to begin with;
there's too much focus on the mechanics and not enough on the game's
atmosphere and story. I can often tolerate the mode - even eke out
some enjoyment - but its always an inferior experience over the
singleplayer. And that's assuming I enjoy the base game to begin with;
with Borderlands, I'd already be disappointed; playing it in
'less-fun' multiplayer mode wouldn't improve things.

Some people play games for the 'gaming' aspect of the thing; the
challenge, the competitiveness, the thrill of mastering the mechanics
of how it all works. Story and atmosphere are just the spice that make
things more interesting. Other people - myself - feel the opposite.
Neither side has it wrong, and so long as they keep making games for
both camps, I'm not gonna complain... well, not too much ;-)

Re: Free Game: Borderlands 3

<kenh8h9epqoufb9ujqqigmsu15lmfh36e6@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7322&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7322

From: Mik...@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 08:55:13 -0400
 by: Mike S. - Sat, 21 May 2022 12:55 UTC

On Fri, 20 May 2022 20:58:36 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>Of my real world chums, only one of them is a PC gamer (when the
>others play games its on consoles, and even then not too often). He
>absolutely detested "Borderlands". I don't think I'd get very far
>suggesting a multiplayer match with him if I suggested that game ;-)

Heh ok. I never would have purchased this game as first person
shooters are definitely not my thing. I also am not really a fan of
the setting either as I prefer fantasy. I only bought this game
because two friends were buying it and I did not want to be left out
of playing it with them. I was just really surprised of how much I
ended up liking it. Enough to play it myself solo when they had their
fill of it.

It makes me wonder what other games I would enjoy.

>Some people play games for the 'gaming' aspect of the thing; the
>challenge, the competitiveness, the thrill of mastering the mechanics
>of how it all works. Story and atmosphere are just the spice that make
>things more interesting. Other people - myself - feel the opposite.
>Neither side has it wrong, and so long as they keep making games for
>both camps, I'm not gonna complain... well, not too much ;-)

Yeah, story and atmosphere is very secondary to me. How a game works
and how it plays is what I really care about.

Re: Free Game: Borderlands 3

<t6d39j$8bl$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7334&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7334

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 11:29:07 +0100
 by: JAB - Sun, 22 May 2022 10:29 UTC

On 21/05/2022 13:55, Mike S. wrote:
> On Fri, 20 May 2022 20:58:36 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
> <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Of my real world chums, only one of them is a PC gamer (when the
>> others play games its on consoles, and even then not too often). He
>> absolutely detested "Borderlands". I don't think I'd get very far
>> suggesting a multiplayer match with him if I suggested that game ;-)
>
> Heh ok. I never would have purchased this game as first person
> shooters are definitely not my thing. I also am not really a fan of
> the setting either as I prefer fantasy. I only bought this game
> because two friends were buying it and I did not want to be left out
> of playing it with them. I was just really surprised of how much I
> ended up liking it. Enough to play it myself solo when they had their
> fill of it.
>
> It makes me wonder what other games I would enjoy.

I've had a few of them - BL:1, Torchlight II and Titan Quest spring to
mind. I did play, and enjoy, them for many hours but I can't say I
thought they were good games (yes, I realise that sounds a bit strange)
but instead there were a nice change of pace from the type of games I
normally play.

>> Some people play games for the 'gaming' aspect of the thing; the
>> challenge, the competitiveness, the thrill of mastering the mechanics
>> of how it all works. Story and atmosphere are just the spice that make
>> things more interesting. Other people - myself - feel the opposite.
>> Neither side has it wrong, and so long as they keep making games for
>> both camps, I'm not gonna complain... well, not too much ;-)
>
> Yeah, story and atmosphere is very secondary to me. How a game works
> and how it plays is what I really care about.

I'm certainly with Spalls in the story and atmosphere are the most
important thing to me. It's one of the issues I have with some CRPG's. I
play them mainly for the story but they can also a heavy focus on the
mechanical side. Divinity:Original Sin is a good example of that. I'm
fine with the idea that combat should be a bit of a challenge but I'm
not interested in having to work out what makes a good character build.

As you say though, horses for courses and all that.

Re: Free Game: Borderlands 3

<jvok8ht1aqllbjqiio1eqsbb820p7qftnj@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7337&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7337

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 12:37:20 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Sun, 22 May 2022 16:37 UTC

On Sun, 22 May 2022 11:29:07 +0100, JAB <noway@nochance.com> wrote:
>On 21/05/2022 13:55, Mike S. wrote:
>> On Fri, 20 May 2022 20:58:36 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
>> <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Of my real world chums, only one of them is a PC gamer (when the
>>> others play games its on consoles, and even then not too often). He
>>> absolutely detested "Borderlands". I don't think I'd get very far
>>> suggesting a multiplayer match with him if I suggested that game ;-)

>> Heh ok. I never would have purchased this game as first person
>> shooters are definitely not my thing. I also am not really a fan of
>> the setting either as I prefer fantasy. I only bought this game
>> because two friends were buying it and I did not want to be left out
>> of playing it with them. I was just really surprised of how much I
>> ended up liking it. Enough to play it myself solo when they had their
>> fill of it.

>> It makes me wonder what other games I would enjoy.

>I've had a few of them - BL:1, Torchlight II and Titan Quest spring to
>mind. I did play, and enjoy, them for many hours but I can't say I
>thought they were good games (yes, I realise that sounds a bit strange)
>but instead there were a nice change of pace from the type of games I
>normally play.

>>> Some people play games for the 'gaming' aspect of the thing; the
>>> challenge, the competitiveness, the thrill of mastering the mechanics
>>> of how it all works. Story and atmosphere are just the spice that make
>>> things more interesting. Other people - myself - feel the opposite.
>>> Neither side has it wrong, and so long as they keep making games for
>>> both camps, I'm not gonna complain... well, not too much ;-)
>> Yeah, story and atmosphere is very secondary to me. How a game works
>> and how it plays is what I really care about.

>I'm certainly with Spalls in the story and atmosphere are the most
>important thing to me. It's one of the issues I have with some CRPG's. I
>play them mainly for the story but they can also a heavy focus on the
>mechanical side. Divinity:Original Sin is a good example of that. I'm
>fine with the idea that combat should be a bit of a challenge but I'm
>not interested in having to work out what makes a good character build.
>
>As you say though, horses for courses and all that.

Yeah, neither interests are mutually exclusive. I'm not opposed to a
challenge in a game, but the idea of having to figure out an optimal
min/max strategy for a game strikes me as tedious to the extreme; it's
like financial accounting, but with more explosions. ;-)

It's why I sometimes prefer corridor-shooters to open world games, and
games with a single character and fixed weapon set to a game where you
can mix-n-match character skills and gear in near-infinite
combinations; the limited options lets me better focus on the stuff I
/do/ appreciate: the world-building, the visuals, the characters and
story... all that 'fluff'.

Of course, a good story will have some sense of progression, a feeling
of growth and empowerment, and challenging gameplay enhances that...
but at the same time, too much focus on the mechanics bogs down the
pacing. (On the other hand, the lack of challenge is equally
distressing, as is all too obvious in far too many 'walking sims').
It's a delicate balancing act and while few (no?) games manage it
perfectly, most are close enough to be enjoyable. "Borderlands" just
happens to tip a bit too much on the mechanical side for my liking.

But if others like it, that's great. Their 'side' can keep developing
new and interesting ways of challenging the player, and my 'side' can
steal the best of their ideas to enhance the narratives of 'our' games
('They' can borrow some of 'our' ideas with regards on presentation).
It's win-win, as far as I'm concerned ;-)

Re: Free Game: Borderlands 3

<t6fhi9$n6q$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7347&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7347

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 09:44:54 +0100
 by: JAB - Mon, 23 May 2022 08:44 UTC

On 22/05/2022 17:37, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> Of course, a good story will have some sense of progression, a feeling
> of growth and empowerment, and challenging gameplay enhances that...
> but at the same time, too much focus on the mechanics bogs down the
> pacing. (On the other hand, the lack of challenge is equally
> distressing, as is all too obvious in far too many 'walking sims').
> It's a delicate balancing act and while few (no?) games manage it
> perfectly, most are close enough to be enjoyable. "Borderlands" just
> happens to tip a bit too much on the mechanical side for my liking.

I'm a big fan of walking sims if they're done right and for me that
means the story has to engage me and I have investment in the outcome
for my character. Two of my favourites in the genre are What Became of
Edith Finch and Firewatch. Firewatch managed to pull of that rather rare
thing of making me interested in the dialogue with the woman over the
radio. The other small, but I thought nice touch, was making the map a
physical one which you held in front of you and then used your compass
to navigate. That means you don't have a this is how you get to location
X mechanic that pulls you out of the immersion.

Re: Free Game: Borderlands 3

<1jen8h9hj8ii549qidd2n0l0d1cf13pp5l@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7354&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7354

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 13:01:06 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Mon, 23 May 2022 17:01 UTC

On Mon, 23 May 2022 09:44:54 +0100, JAB <noway@nochance.com> wrote:

>On 22/05/2022 17:37, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>> Of course, a good story will have some sense of progression, a feeling
>> of growth and empowerment, and challenging gameplay enhances that...
>> but at the same time, too much focus on the mechanics bogs down the
>> pacing. (On the other hand, the lack of challenge is equally
>> distressing, as is all too obvious in far too many 'walking sims').
>> It's a delicate balancing act and while few (no?) games manage it
>> perfectly, most are close enough to be enjoyable. "Borderlands" just
>> happens to tip a bit too much on the mechanical side for my liking.
>>

>I'm a big fan of walking sims if they're done right and for me that
>means the story has to engage me and I have investment in the outcome
>for my character. Two of my favourites in the genre are What Became of
>Edith Finch and Firewatch. Firewatch managed to pull of that rather rare
>thing of making me interested in the dialogue with the woman over the
>radio. The other small, but I thought nice touch, was making the map a
>physical one which you held in front of you and then used your compass
>to navigate. That means you don't have a this is how you get to location
>X mechanic that pulls you out of the immersion.

"Firewatch" is one of the rare walking sims I think really works,
largely because it has an interesting narrative and characters to
drive the story onward. The excellent dialogue system also invests a
certain - and very necessary - pacing to the story, which is an
absolutely vital (and too often forgotten by many game designers) part
of the experience.

My only complaints with the game are that it too often made you feel
that you could 'game' your way to a 'best' ending, which distracts
from the overall narrative. Then again, I'm not sure how I'd design a
game that didn't have that problem, and - at least in "Firewatch's"
instance - this is some way played into the overall message of the
game of accepting what life throws at you and not escaping into the
fantasy of reaching a problem-free life. Also, the extremely low-key
start to the game does it absolutley no favors; I bet that most of the
players who abandoned the game did it long before they actually
reached the watch tower.

Re: Free Game: Borderlands 3

<116e5ad9-aa4e-4c31-80c9-19cc2d12068an@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7366&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7366

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 13:25:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Tue, 24 May 2022 20:25 UTC

On Friday, May 20, 2022 at 5:49:46 AM UTC-7, Mike S. wrote:
> On Thu, 19 May 2022 20:42:10 -0600, PW
> <iamnotusing...@notinuse.com> wrote:
>
> >I like Borderlands 2 until I got sick of the long way between
> >checkpoints and rinse and repeat.
> This was never an issue in the first game for me and I hope it does
> not become an issue for me in the second game.

It was so bad in BL2 I fired up cheat engine and changed the chance
of the different tiers of weapons dropping so I didn't have to spend
months grinding for a particular weapon.

They backed off that in the Prequell and BL3 fortunately.

- Justisaur

Re: Free Game: Borderlands 3

<39156c13-7108-4f17-99e0-7c0b1528f15cn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7367&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7367

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 13:29:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Tue, 24 May 2022 20:29 UTC

On Friday, May 20, 2022 at 9:37:36 AM UTC-7, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Thu, 19 May 2022 20:42:10 -0600, PW
> <iamnotusing...@notinuse.com> wrote:
> >On Thu, 19 May 2022 13:41:51 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
> ><spallsh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >>But at least we get a free game today. This week:
> >>Borderlands 3
> >>https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/borderlands-3
> >I like Borderlands 2 until I got sick of the long way between
> >checkpoints and rinse and repeat.
> I never really cared for the franchise at all. Looter-shooters are too
> repetitive for my liking, and the 'excitement' of getting a gun that
> does 5% more damage than the one I'm already holding totally escapes
> me. I've played them, but a lot of the experience is "I've started the
> thing, and I'll be damned if I don't get to the end" determination
> rather than "wheee, this is great!" joy.
>
> Having said that, there was a DLC - I think for the second game? -
> that half-transformed the game into a whimsical D&D session, which was
> just off-beat enough and just different enough that it made the game
> somewhat enjoyable. It didn't justify the price of the whole package
> and I wouldn't recommend anyone buy the game just for that DLC, but it
> was a bright spot in an otherwise dreary slog.

Tiny Tina's Assault on on Dragon Keep. That was pretty good.

Personally I preferred Mr. Torgue's Campaign of Carnage because of
EXPLOOOOOOOSIONS!

- Justisaur

Re: Free Game: Borderlands 3

<sm0a6b6doaa.fsf@lakka.kapsi.fi>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7371&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7371

From: as...@sci.fi (Anssi Saari)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 11:11:57 +0300
sha1:OOvKg9vyuMo9Lx3a2G4g3ibymAA=
 by: Anssi Saari - Wed, 25 May 2022 08:11 UTC

Justisaur <justisaur@gmail.com> writes:

> Personally I preferred Mr. Torgue's Campaign of Carnage because of
> EXPLOOOOOOOSIONS!

The Torque DLC also kinda brought back legendaries in vending machines
but since you needed Torque money for those Torque vendors and there
wasn't much of that around, it didn't really work.

I can't remember much more about the Torque DLC though. None of the BL2
DLCs seem to have left much of a mark in my memory except the Tiny Tina
one. Well, there was the hunting DLC but I remember that only because it
had some of the super annoying enemies that level up. Although the only
time I tried that was during some loot event and my character was really
too low level to get anywhere and then the enemies leveling up made it
nearly impossible. In contrast the Tiny Tina DLC had one such mid boss
and you could just avoid the fight as I recall.

Re: Free Game: Borderlands 3

<pn8s8h1t60t572meml9si1rcnugvqk16hv@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7373&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7373

From: Mik...@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 08:41:11 -0400
 by: Mike S. - Wed, 25 May 2022 12:41 UTC

On Tue, 24 May 2022 13:25:01 -0700 (PDT), Justisaur
<justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:

>It was so bad in BL2 I fired up cheat engine and changed the chance
>of the different tiers of weapons dropping so I didn't have to spend
>months grinding for a particular weapon.
>
>They backed off that in the Prequell and BL3 fortunately.
>
>- Justisaur

I was replying to PW who was complaining about the checkpoint save
system, not the loot table.

However, I just did a quick google, and there does seem to be mods
for better loot drop chances. I will look into them more closely when
I get around to playing Borderlands 2.