Blinding speed can compensate for a lot of deficiencies. -- David Nichols

computers / news.software.readers / Claws Mail Rules (superb news reader software)

SubjectAuthor
* Claws Mail Rules (superb news reader software)Claws Mail Client
+* Re: Claws Mail Rules (superb news reader software)Johnny
|`- Re: Claws Mail Rules (superb news reader software)noscript
+- Re: Claws Mail Rules (superb news reader software)Christian Schumacher
`- Re: Claws Mail Rules (superb news reader software)Rockinghorse Winner

1
Claws Mail Rules (superb news reader software)

<79c2fff5.b4148363.claws@mail.client>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=730&group=news.software.readers#730

From: cla...@mail.client (Claws Mail Client)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers, news.misc
Subject: Claws Mail Rules (superb news reader software)
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 12:06:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Claws Mail Client - Tue, 11 Jan 2022 12:06 UTC

I tried claws-mail many years ago. I was not greatly impressed. But that was many years ago when the project was young.

Today I installed the recent version of claws-mail for testing. I am not disappointed. I am surprised.

On first run I set up a email account in the wizard. Then when the main window presented itself I clicked on 'Configuration' > 'Edit Accounts' and added a NNTP/Usenet account there. It is similar to its evil twin, Sylpheed, but claws-mail is much more finely tuned and now I won't touch Sylpheed which is no longer installed.

Claws-mail opens instantly, faster than my xed text editor. I am not exaggerating. It snaps right open at least twice as fast as xed, in about 1/3 of a second. Thunderbird takes anywhere from 5 to 15 seconds to present its interface depending on which computer I use.

After setting up a NNTP server and some fiddling with font and layout settings I clicked:

View > Layout > Small Screen

........ and the result is pure joy on both small and large screen.

The 'small screen' layout is beautifully simple and efficient. It almost exactly how I envision a perfect messaging interface. I see none of the problems of MOSHILLA DUNDERBURD / WUNDERTURD client.

I was really surprised at how well-designed claws-mail has become over the years. It is fast. Even on a low-powered device the interface responds instantly.

It will probably take 30+ minutes for a new user to check out all the options and set up the interface exactly so.

The number of options allows a very fine-grained tuning of the workflow.

I strongly recommend that seasoned Usenetizens and SysAdmins tell newbies to use claws-mail and try either the 'Small Screen' layout on FHD screens or the '3-column' layout if they have a 4K screen. Explain to them that after using it for an hour or so it will all solidify in their mind. Claws-mail is much superior to Thunderbird in design and integration.

$ echo "I'm hooked by the claws."
$ sudo apt-get purge thunderbird* -y
$ rm -rfv ~/.thunderbird &> /dev/toilet

--

Claws-mail rules!

Re: Claws Mail Rules (superb news reader software)

<20220111080710.57ec23dd@mx>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=731&group=news.software.readers#731

From: joh...@invalid.net (Johnny)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers,news.misc
Subject: Re: Claws Mail Rules (superb news reader software)
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 08:07:10 -0600
 by: Johnny - Tue, 11 Jan 2022 14:07 UTC

On Tue, 11 Jan 2022 12:06:49 -0000 (UTC)
Claws Mail Client <claws@mail.client> wrote:

> I tried claws-mail many years ago. I was not greatly impressed. But
> that was many years ago when the project was young.
>
> Today I installed the recent version of claws-mail for testing. I am
> not disappointed. I am surprised.
>
> On first run I set up a email account in the wizard. Then when the
> main window presented itself I clicked on 'Configuration' > 'Edit
> Accounts' and added a NNTP/Usenet account there. It is similar to its
> evil twin, Sylpheed, but claws-mail is much more finely tuned and now
> I won't touch Sylpheed which is no longer installed.
>
> Claws-mail opens instantly, faster than my xed text editor. I am not
> exaggerating. It snaps right open at least twice as fast as xed, in
> about 1/3 of a second. Thunderbird takes anywhere from 5 to 15
> seconds to present its interface depending on which computer I use.
>
> After setting up a NNTP server and some fiddling with font and layout
> settings I clicked:
>
> View > Layout > Small Screen
>
> ....... and the result is pure joy on both small and large screen.
>
> The 'small screen' layout is beautifully simple and efficient. It
> almost exactly how I envision a perfect messaging interface. I see
> none of the problems of MOSHILLA DUNDERBURD / WUNDERTURD client.
>
> I was really surprised at how well-designed claws-mail has become
> over the years. It is fast. Even on a low-powered device the
> interface responds instantly.
>
> It will probably take 30+ minutes for a new user to check out all the
> options and set up the interface exactly so.
>
> The number of options allows a very fine-grained tuning of the
> workflow.
>
> I strongly recommend that seasoned Usenetizens and SysAdmins tell
> newbies to use claws-mail and try either the 'Small Screen' layout on
> FHD screens or the '3-column' layout if they have a 4K screen.
> Explain to them that after using it for an hour or so it will all
> solidify in their mind. Claws-mail is much superior to Thunderbird in
> design and integration.
>
> $ echo "I'm hooked by the claws."
> $ sudo apt-get purge thunderbird* -y
> $ rm -rfv ~/.thunderbird &> /dev/toilet

I have used Claws Mail for the at least the last seven years. It's the
best Usenet client I have found. I like it mainly for its processing
and filtering rules, you can filter on anything in the headers.

For about the last two years Claws Mail had a problem with a
segmentation fault, it would freeze up and eventually shutdown. That
seems to have been corrected in version 4.0.0.

Re: Claws Mail Rules (superb news reader software)

<srkaqb$u873$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=732&group=news.software.readers#732

Followup: news.software.readers
From: cs.s...@nurfuerspam.de (Christian Schumacher)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers,news.misc
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 16:21:31 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Christian Schumacher - Tue, 11 Jan 2022 16:21 UTC

Claws Mail Client <claws@mail.client> in news.software.readers:
> I strongly recommend that seasoned Usenetizens and SysAdmins tell newbies to use claws-mail and try either the 'Small Screen' layout on FHD screens or the '3-column' layout if they have a 4K screen. Explain to them that after using it for an hour or so it will all solidify in their mind. Claws-mail is much superior to Thunderbird in design and integration.

I'd suggest to fix From, Message-ID and line length.
Would make your ballyhoo more creditable.

--
Regards
Christian

»Billige Sofas setzen sich mehr und mehr durch.«

Re: Claws Mail Rules (superb news reader software)

<f9VDJ.175550$C3U7.18133@fx02.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=733&group=news.software.readers#733

Newsgroups: news.software.readers,news.misc
From: Rockingh...@amgen.com (Rockinghorse Winner)
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 12:44:59 GMT
 by: Rockinghorse Winner - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 12:44 UTC

On 2022-01-11, Claws Mail Client <claws@mail.client> wrote:
> I tried claws-mail many years ago. I was not greatly impressed. But that was many years ago when the project was young.
>
> Today I installed the recent version of claws-mail for testing. I am not disappointed. I am surprised.
>
> On first run I set up a email account in the wizard. Then when the main window presented itself I clicked on 'Configuration' > 'Edit Accounts' and added a NNTP/Usenet account there. It is similar to its evil twin, Sylpheed, but claws-mail is much more finely tuned and now I won't touch Sylpheed which is no longer installed.
>
> Claws-mail opens instantly, faster than my xed text editor. I am not exaggerating. It snaps right open at least twice as fast as xed, in about 1/3 of a second. Thunderbird takes anywhere from 5 to 15 seconds to present its interface depending on which computer I use.
>
> After setting up a NNTP server and some fiddling with font and layout settings I clicked:
>
> View > Layout > Small Screen
>
> ....... and the result is pure joy on both small and large screen.
>
> The 'small screen' layout is beautifully simple and efficient. It almost exactly how I envision a perfect messaging interface. I see none of the problems of MOSHILLA DUNDERBURD / WUNDERTURD client.
>
> I was really surprised at how well-designed claws-mail has become over the years. It is fast. Even on a low-powered device the interface responds instantly.
>
> It will probably take 30+ minutes for a new user to check out all the options and set up the interface exactly so.
>
> The number of options allows a very fine-grained tuning of the workflow.
>
> I strongly recommend that seasoned Usenetizens and SysAdmins tell newbies to use claws-mail and try either the 'Small Screen' layout on FHD screens or the '3-column' layout if they have a 4K screen. Explain to them that after using it for an hour or so it will all solidify in their mind. Claws-mail is much superior to Thunderbird in design and integration.
>
> $ echo "I'm hooked by the claws."
> $ sudo apt-get purge thunderbird* -y
> $ rm -rfv ~/.thunderbird &> /dev/toilet

I remember using Claws (and Sylpheed) in my very early days of Linux, and liking it pretty
much. I've never like TBird - I think it is a bloated mess. But YMMV.

--

"Many have sought in vain to tell joyously of the Most Joyous. Now at last It
declares Itself to me, now in this misery." - Holderlin

Re: Claws Mail Rules (superb news reader software)

<20220113215725.6bc34a42@mba>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=741&group=news.software.readers#741

From: septem...@noulin.net (noscript)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers,news.misc
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 21:57:25 +0200
 by: noscript - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 19:57 UTC

On Tue, 11 Jan 2022 08:07:10 -0600
Johnny <johnny@invalid.net> wrote:

> For about the last two years Claws Mail had a problem with a
> segmentation fault, it would freeze up and eventually shutdown. That
> seems to have been corrected in version 4.0.0.

I'm using version 3.17.8 and I haven't seen any segfault so far.