"Were there no women, men might live like gods." -- Thomas Dekker

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Re: [OT] New desktop (part 5)

SubjectAuthor
* [OT] New desktop (part 5)pinnerite
+- Re: [OT] New desktop (part 5)Mike Easter
+- Re: [OT] New desktop (part 5)Paul
+- Re: [OT] New desktop (part 5)Mike Easter
`* Re: [OT] New desktop (part 5)pinnerite
 `* Re: [OT] New desktop (part 5)pinnerite
  +- Re: [OT] New desktop (part 5)Paul
  `* Re: [OT] New desktop (part 5)pinnerite
   `* Re: [OT] New desktop (part 5)pinnerite
    `* Re: [OT] New desktop (part 5)Paul
     `- Re: [OT] New desktop (part 5)pinnerite

1
[OT] New desktop (part 5)

<20231212223630.ab09e0514d28a286989196b7@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7258&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7258

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: [OT] New desktop (part 5)
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 22:36:30 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Tue, 12 Dec 2023 22:36 UTC

So,the final piece arrived. I fitted it and connected all the leads.
When I switched on, the screens powered up.
The fans gave a quick flip and that was it.
No indication that it was live.

I cannot test it where it is sited at the moment.
The best place is my dining room table but I cannot stretch the leads
that far, nor can I remove one of the monitors.

I am trying to buy a "pre-used" HDMI monitor at present and an HDMI
lead. I have all the rest.

I am barred from using the table until after Christmas.

Such is life.

All the best,

Alan

--
Linux Mint 21.1 kernel version 5.15.0-89-generic Cinnamon 5.6.8
AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU 16Gb Dram 2TB Barracuda

Re: [OT] New desktop (part 5)

<kts7a2Fb43nU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7259&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7259

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: [OT] New desktop (part 5)
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 15:05:37 -0800
 by: Mike Easter - Tue, 12 Dec 2023 23:05 UTC

pinnerite wrote:
> I am barred from using the table until after Christmas.

Ha.

--
Mike Easter

Re: [OT] New desktop (part 5)

<ularum$3rphj$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7260&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7260

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 18:56:06 -0500
 by: Paul - Tue, 12 Dec 2023 23:56 UTC

On 12/12/2023 5:36 PM, pinnerite wrote:
> So,the final piece arrived. I fitted it and connected all the leads.
> When I switched on, the screens powered up.
> The fans gave a quick flip and that was it.
> No indication that it was live.
>
> I cannot test it where it is sited at the moment.
> The best place is my dining room table but I cannot stretch the leads
> that far, nor can I remove one of the monitors.
>
> I am trying to buy a "pre-used" HDMI monitor at present and an HDMI
> lead. I have all the rest.
>
> I am barred from using the table until after Christmas.
>
> Such is life.
>
> All the best,
>
> Alan

There are two kinds of table legs at Ikea. An adjustable
leg with a thicker flange at the top, a fixed height leg
with a slightly thinner flange at the top. Four of those was
60 for my project.

I was able to find a piece of pine, made from finger joined pieces,
which was 16" x 48". Didn't need to be sawed. Needed twenty pilot
holes for the leg screws (fasten flanges to bottom of board).
That's enough to seat a computer case, one monitor, keyboard mouse.
No place to put your papers, or relax. The coffee cup fits.

I built two of the tables, built my PC on one of the tables
(in another room), seated the finished PC on the second table
in an out of the way place.

The legs are threaded on the ends. You unscrew the legs and
stow the pine piece with flanges on its bottom, with your
other stow-able tables.

The benefit of two tables, is when side by side, they make a 32"
wide table (getting close to a meter). When the tables are used
individually, they provide some "clearance" for the operator to
"slide by" in tight spacing.

*******

For "super-PCs" like the one Skybuck just built, I recommend testing
the motherboard on a table. It really depends on how much of a
nuisance the cooler is, as to how much fun this is. For example,
the AMD Stealth Wraith in-box cooler on some of their cheaper
products, is great for quick testing of lower-power PCs. There
is space around it to work.

The high-power-capable cooler on the machine I'm typing on, once
it is fitted, it's a lot harder to examine anything. To change out
RAM sticks, I had to remove the fan on one end of the cooler,
and because it uses "clips" like a Noctua, that is not too traumatic.

The low-power mid-priced CPUs, have a built-in GPU which is
sufficient for testing. To get mine to work, there is a
HDMI port and a DisplayPort. The monitor (new) did not like the
signal from the HDMI port. However, I have an *active* DP to HDMI
in the toolkit, which handles up to 1920x1080, and by plugging
that into the DP++ output of the new motherboard, I got a "valid"
HDMI signal for the HDMI monitor. I could then install OS and so on.

Initially, the UEFI BIOS was very slow to start with the hardware
connected. It did not particularly like just having a memtest USB stick
and no hard drive. It might have taken a minute or two, to start up
the first time.

*******

A mixture of "old stock" motherboard, and "newer" CPU, requires
a firmware flash for the BIOS to resolve. The first new PC I'd built
in some time, it took *all evening* to get the flasher on the
back of the board to work, and flash in a new version of BIOS.
Even without a Port 80 card to aid me, I could tell it was
just a versioning problem. The tiny white error LEDs on the mobo
surface, help provide visual clues.

*******

1) If using integrated graphics. try testing both ports. To test the
DP port (it's actually DP++ technically), you might need an adapter.
I have adapters for HDMI to VGA, DP++ to VGA, DP to HDMI, and all the
monitors have VGA. The DP to HDMI was bought for the Dell Optiplex 780,
which does not have a DP++ output, but does have a DP output.
A DP++ can be converted to HDMI with a passive adapter, so a DP++
has "available HDMI signals" inside.

2) Once you've tested all combinations of integrated graphics
(and with new video card removed -- remember simplicity is the
key to bring-up), next consider that the failure to start is a
BIOS version issue. On the motherboard web page, is a "CPU compatibility"
chart, and it lists the "minimum version" of BIOS that has the
microcode for the CPU.

Make sure your 24 pin main power is connected. Make sure your
ATX12V is connected. The shape of the ATX12V pins and the sections
of "tab" on the side, will tell you how to turn and insert them.

Check your four header plugs are in the correct places. PowerLed, HDDLed,
ResetSW, PowerSW, Speaker 1x4 can be fitted to two headers. A 2x4 header
for the "OEM standard four", and a second header has the Speaker output
for the Beeper Speaker in the casing. The ResetSW cannot have a short
across it, or the PC will not start. The PowerSW is momentary contact,
and even with no headers loaded at all, touching the two PowerSW contacts
with a screwdriver for 100 milliseconds, is enough to start it.

Check the CMOS battery with a multimeter. Positive lead on generous
cell top contact area. Negative lead on any ground screw. If the
cell voltage equals exactly zero volts, that prevents system start
on some SuperIO chips. Even though technically, for the computer
to function, it doesn't need the CMOS cell to do it. It can Load Defaults
and start, without that power source. But some SuperIO refuse to start,
and they have a monitor pin for VBatt.

Paul

Re: [OT] New desktop (part 5)

<kts733Fb0hoU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7261&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7261

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 15:01:55 -0800
 by: Mike Easter - Tue, 12 Dec 2023 23:01 UTC

pinnerite wrote:
> I am barred from using the table until after Christmas.

Ha.

--
Mike Easter

Re: [OT] New desktop (part 5)

<20231223211846.9b8c4821d186c44b6947cd54@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7320&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7320

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 21:18:46 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 21:18 UTC

On Tue, 12 Dec 2023 22:36:30 +0000
pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:

> So,the final piece arrived. I fitted it and connected all the leads.
> When I switched on, the screens powered up.
> The fans gave a quick flip and that was it.
> No indication that it was live.
>
> I cannot test it where it is sited at the moment.
> The best place is my dining room table but I cannot stretch the leads
> that far, nor can I remove one of the monitors.
>
> I am trying to buy a "pre-used" HDMI monitor at present and an HDMI
> lead. I have all the rest.
>
> I am barred from using the table until after Christmas.
>
> Such is life.
>
> All the best,
>
> Alan

I managed to gain the dining room table for a couple of days and bought
a good pre-used monitor. I had a power test device.
It appeared to show the Corsair 850 watt power supply was dead.

I happened to have a 500 watt Zalman.

I connected that to the tester just to make sure that the latter
worked. It did.

So either the Corsair was faulty or it works in a mysterious way.

I tried to email the eBay supplier but eBay stopped it. I have to
contact their tech something or other tomorrow (Christmas Eve?)

However, I will connect up the Zalman to the motherboard etc tomorrow
while holding my breath.

Have a good one.

Alan

> --
> Linux Mint 21.1 kernel version 5.15.0-89-generic Cinnamon 5.6.8
> AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU 16Gb Dram 2TB Barracuda

--
Linux Mint 21.1 kernel version 5.15.0-91-generic Cinnamon 5.6.8
AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU 16Gb Dram 2TB Barracuda

Re: [OT] New desktop (part 5)

<20240105135726.69f8bef0a511f6a475979457@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7379&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7379

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 13:57:26 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 13:57 UTC

On Sat, 23 Dec 2023 21:18:46 +0000
pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Dec 2023 22:36:30 +0000
> pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > So,the final piece arrived. I fitted it and connected all the leads.
> > When I switched on, the screens powered up.
> > The fans gave a quick flip and that was it.
> > No indication that it was live.
> >
> > I cannot test it where it is sited at the moment.
> > The best place is my dining room table but I cannot stretch the leads
> > that far, nor can I remove one of the monitors.
> >
> > I am trying to buy a "pre-used" HDMI monitor at present and an HDMI
> > lead. I have all the rest.
> >
> > I am barred from using the table until after Christmas.
> >
> > Such is life.
> >
> > All the best,
> >
> > Alan
>
> I managed to gain the dining room table for a couple of days and bought
> a good pre-used monitor. I had a power test device.
> It appeared to show the Corsair 850 watt power supply was dead.
>
> I happened to have a 500 watt Zalman.
>
> I connected that to the tester just to make sure that the latter
> worked. It did.
>
> So either the Corsair was faulty or it works in a mysterious way.
>
> I tried to email the eBay supplier but eBay stopped it. I have to
> contact their tech something or other tomorrow (Christmas Eve?)
>
> However, I will connect up the Zalman to the motherboard etc tomorrow
> while holding my breath.
>
> Have a good one.
>
> Alan

The Zalman is not modular and it produced no additional signs of life.
I purchased another 850 watt supply (it is bound to come in useful in
the future). The result was the same.

My conclusion was that it had to be the motherboard or the processor.
(I discounted the dram).
The board went back to eBuyer and was received yesterday.

If it was within the 30 day return period (It will not be) then the 3
to 5 days for their engineers to test it will be replaced by sending it
to the manufactuers which may take 28 days followed by up to a further
28 days before it comes back.

I will be patient but unhappy.

--
Linux Mint 21.1 kernel version 5.15.0-91-generic Cinnamon 5.6.8
AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU 16Gb Dram 2TB Barracuda

Re: [OT] New desktop (part 5)

<un9af6$788c$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7380&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7380

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 11:24:08 -0500
 by: Paul - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 16:24 UTC

On 1/5/2024 8:57 AM, pinnerite wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Dec 2023 21:18:46 +0000
> pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 12 Dec 2023 22:36:30 +0000
>> pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> So,the final piece arrived. I fitted it and connected all the leads.
>>> When I switched on, the screens powered up.
>>> The fans gave a quick flip and that was it.
>>> No indication that it was live.
>>>
>>> I cannot test it where it is sited at the moment.
>>> The best place is my dining room table but I cannot stretch the leads
>>> that far, nor can I remove one of the monitors.
>>>
>>> I am trying to buy a "pre-used" HDMI monitor at present and an HDMI
>>> lead. I have all the rest.
>>>
>>> I am barred from using the table until after Christmas.
>>>
>>> Such is life.
>>>
>>> All the best,
>>>
>>> Alan
>>
>> I managed to gain the dining room table for a couple of days and bought
>> a good pre-used monitor. I had a power test device.
>> It appeared to show the Corsair 850 watt power supply was dead.
>>
>> I happened to have a 500 watt Zalman.
>>
>> I connected that to the tester just to make sure that the latter
>> worked. It did.
>>
>> So either the Corsair was faulty or it works in a mysterious way.
>>
>> I tried to email the eBay supplier but eBay stopped it. I have to
>> contact their tech something or other tomorrow (Christmas Eve?)
>>
>> However, I will connect up the Zalman to the motherboard etc tomorrow
>> while holding my breath.
>>
>> Have a good one.
>>
>> Alan
>>

> The Zalman is not modular and it produced no additional signs of life.
> I purchased another 850 watt supply (it is bound to come in useful in
> the future). The result was the same.
>
> My conclusion was that it had to be the motherboard or the processor.
> (I discounted the dram).
> The board went back to eBuyer and was received yesterday.
>
> If it was within the 30 day return period (It will not be) then the 3
> to 5 days for their engineers to test it will be replaced by sending it
> to the manufactuers which may take 28 days followed by up to a further
> 28 days before it comes back.
>
> I will be patient but unhappy.

In the old days, I'd say "take a picture of it".

But modern boards have too much random metalwork covering
the PCB, so there is little to nothing to see.

I trust you checked for unmatched mounting posts versus
number of holes on the board. Your board has nine holes as
I remember, so that is not likely the source of the problem.
The board must be centered over each hole - the motherboard
cannot be randomly slewed to one side when mounted in the case.

*******

You *can* force it to turn on, but this defeats the PROCHOT
protection if you do. The CPU needs thermal paste, a cooler,
and the fan connected to the CPU_FAN header. In other words, this
option is not particularly dangerous, unless you have a fault
in the CPU cooling (like you're a twit and did not put a cooler
at all on top of the CPU -- bad bad karma).

PS_ON# is open collector. On a PROCHOT, the motherboard open
collector, stops driving PS_ON# low (ON).

You can ground PS_ON# (tie it to an adjacent COM), then watch
the fun. The shell of the connector, leaves a bit of metal
exposed, for experiments.

PS_ON# at the power supply, is not entirely linear. It does
not behave like a logic gate. So when we refer to "logic 0
equals ON", the analog behavior at the pin is not quite the
same as a logic gate. On the Pavouk schematic, it's Q10 over
on the left, that monitors PS_ON#. A 4.7K resistor ensures
PC_ON# rises to the inactive state, when nothing drives low.
You need at least one pullup resistor when doing Wired-OR
logic like the PS_ON# offers you as an option. They did not
have to do the drive that way, implying it is that way for
a reason (test).

http://www.pavouk.org/hw/en_atxps.html

Paul

Re: [OT] New desktop (part 5)

<20240117141359.0ea128f612fef91d89123c56@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7445&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7445

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 14:13:59 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 14:13 UTC

On Fri, 5 Jan 2024 13:57:26 +0000
pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Dec 2023 21:18:46 +0000
> pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 12 Dec 2023 22:36:30 +0000
> > pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > So,the final piece arrived. I fitted it and connected all the leads.
> > > When I switched on, the screens powered up.
> > > The fans gave a quick flip and that was it.
> > > No indication that it was live.
> > >
> > > I cannot test it where it is sited at the moment.
> > > The best place is my dining room table but I cannot stretch the leads
> > > that far, nor can I remove one of the monitors.
> > >
> > > I am trying to buy a "pre-used" HDMI monitor at present and an HDMI
> > > lead. I have all the rest.
> > >
> > > I am barred from using the table until after Christmas.
> > >
> > > Such is life.
> > >
> > > All the best,
> > >
> > > Alan
> >
> > I managed to gain the dining room table for a couple of days and bought
> > a good pre-used monitor. I had a power test device.
> > It appeared to show the Corsair 850 watt power supply was dead.
> >
> > I happened to have a 500 watt Zalman.
> >
> > I connected that to the tester just to make sure that the latter
> > worked. It did.
> >
> > So either the Corsair was faulty or it works in a mysterious way.
> >
> > I tried to email the eBay supplier but eBay stopped it. I have to
> > contact their tech something or other tomorrow (Christmas Eve?)
> >
> > However, I will connect up the Zalman to the motherboard etc tomorrow
> > while holding my breath.
> >
> > Have a good one.
> >
> > Alan
> >

> The Zalman is not modular and it produced no additional signs of life.
> I purchased another 850 watt supply (it is bound to come in useful in
> the future). The result was the same.
>
> My conclusion was that it had to be the motherboard or the processor.
> (I discounted the dram).
> The board went back to eBuyer and was received yesterday.
>
> If it was within the 30 day return period (It will not be) then the 3
> to 5 days for their engineers to test it will be replaced by sending it
> to the manufactuers which may take 28 days followed by up to a further
> 28 days before it comes back.
>
> I will be patient but unhappy.
>
> --
> Linux Mint 21.1 kernel version 5.15.0-91-generic Cinnamon 5.6.8
> AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU 16Gb Dram 2TB Barracuda

The motherboard was tested OK.
The CPU went back and was tested, AND
A replacement is being delivered this afternoon.
That is £309 of silicon!
I will try and find time tomorrow to rebuild the system.
I must say eBuyer have been very good throughout.

Alan

--
Linux Mint 21.1 kernel version 5.15.0-91-generic Cinnamon 5.6.8
AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU 16Gb Dram 2TB Barracuda

Re: [OT] New desktop (part 5)

<20240120184437.7abd98e3e0e115f4be0d5978@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7464&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7464

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 18:44:37 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 18:44 UTC

On Wed, 17 Jan 2024 14:13:59 +0000
pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:

> The motherboard was tested OK.
> The CPU went back and was tested, AND
> A replacement is being delivered this afternoon.
> That is £309 of silicon!
> I will try and find time tomorrow to rebuild the system.
> I must say eBuyer have been very good throughout.
>
> Alan

I completed the rebuild today.

Still doesn't work. Nothing except a blue LED on the mouse.

I am now suspecting the connections from the (On/Off and Reset)
case switches to the front panel header.

I can barely see the header pins. If I could buy a set of connectors
with a socket matching the header pins at one end, that would help.

Another trip to the loft appears to be necessary to retrieve a desk
lamp.

:(

Alan

--
Linux Mint 21.1 kernel version 5.15.0-91-generic Cinnamon 5.6.8
AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU 16Gb Dram 2TB Barracuda

Re: [OT] New desktop (part 5)

<uohhvl$3rre5$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7465&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7465

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 17:37:40 -0500
 by: Paul - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 22:37 UTC

On 1/20/2024 1:44 PM, pinnerite wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Jan 2024 14:13:59 +0000
> pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> The motherboard was tested OK.
>> The CPU went back and was tested, AND
>> A replacement is being delivered this afternoon.
>> That is £309 of silicon!
>> I will try and find time tomorrow to rebuild the system.
>> I must say eBuyer have been very good throughout.
>>
>> Alan
>>
> I completed the rebuild today.
>
> Still doesn't work. Nothing except a blue LED on the mouse.
>
> I am now suspecting the connections from the (On/Off and Reset)
> case switches to the front panel header.
>
> I can barely see the header pins. If I could buy a set of connectors
> with a socket matching the header pins at one end, that would help.
>
> Another trip to the loft appears to be necessary to retrieve a desk
> lamp.
>
> :(
>
> Alan

You'll get this going.

Motherboard:

Open socket lever.
Add CPU.
Close socket lever.
Butter CPU lid (with AS5). Use your time-proven technique.
Seat Stealth Cooler (or your chosen alternative).
Screw cooler to base.
Connect cooler four pin fan cable to "CPU fan" on motherboard [Important]
(the hardware will be checking for pulses on the CPU fan header).

Sit motherboard on insulated surface (piece of cardboard, old style paper phone book)

Connect ATX12V to the connector in the upper left corner.
Connect 24 pin main, to its mate on motherboard.

Plug in display, connect display HDMI or DP cable to mobo HDMI or DP output.
Sometimes the display HDMI does not "like" the mobo HDMI, and you can
use an active DP to HDMI to get it working. I've had to do that.

Connect USB/PS2 keyboard to computer. Connect USB mouse.

Connect computer case SPKR to mating pins on motherboard (so we can hear startup).

Where the 2x4 header section for the FP controls is located,
locate the PWR SW connection and its mating GND or COM. Where
normally a 1x2 would be connected.

Make a momentary connection between those two pins.

I even have a calculator momentary button, soldered to two
wires, with female pins on the end, suited to making the
connection. You could buy a gadget at one time like that,
but I made my own.

This should start the PC. Fans should be spinning.

Since we haven't installed RAM, there should be three beeps.

Switch off the back of the PC supply. Wait 60 seconds.
Install a stick of RAM, furthest from the CPU socket.
Switch on the PSU switch at the back.

Make the momentary PWR SW connection again. With any luck,
you will see the BIOS screen. Switch off the PC supply
at the back again.

Do some more building.

*******

My first AM4 build would not work. I suspected BIOS version,
and using a USB stick and the flashing button, flashed
in a newer BIOS. It took me all evening to get the flash stick
format and info just right. The manual had poor instructions.
The LED indication that I thought meant it was flashing,
was actually the error-indication :-) After the new BIOS was
in, it behaved better after that.

Your mouse LED observation, means +5VSB is present. And
that's an essential power rail, for the PWR SW logic block
to function properly and turn on the rest of the ATX PSU.

The PWR SW from the front panel of the PC, does not connect
directly to PS_ON# on the PSU. There is an intervening
logic block powered by +5VSB, which latches the momentary
contact of the PWR SW. An open collector driver on the motherboard,
drives PS_ON# to ground (logic 0), and that causes all the
fans to spin and the main rails to come on.

Make sure your ATX12V cable (has BLACK wires and YELLOW wires)
is plugged in.

Paul

Re: [OT] New desktop (part 5)

<20240125155125.9f1e7f5a7f09cc8950adaa90@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7502&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7502

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 15:51:25 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 15:51 UTC

On Sat, 20 Jan 2024 17:37:40 -0500
Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

> [...]
> in a newer BIOS. It took me all evening to get the flash stick
> format and info just right. The manual had poor instructions.
> The LED indication that I thought meant it was flashing,
> was actually the error-indication :-) After the new BIOS was
> in, it behaved better after that.
>
> Your mouse LED observation, means +5VSB is present. And
> that's an essential power rail, for the PWR SW logic block
> to function properly and turn on the rest of the ATX PSU.
>
> The PWR SW from the front panel of the PC, does not connect
> directly to PS_ON# on the PSU. There is an intervening
> logic block powered by +5VSB, which latches the momentary
> contact of the PWR SW. An open collector driver on the motherboard,
> drives PS_ON# to ground (logic 0), and that causes all the
> fans to spin and the main rails to come on.
>
> Make sure your ATX12V cable (has BLACK wires and YELLOW wires)

All that has been done several times.

Two days ago my randson, a high flying computer security engineer
checked all my connections and found them sound. Result, the same.

Today eBuyer's technical support engineer said they would take the
complete order back and test it in their lab. They would not take
either of the two 850watt power supplies, nor the case as they hadn't
supplied either.

This will probably take at least a week but I hope will prove something.

Alan