She won' go Warp 7, Cap'n! The batteries are dead!

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Firefox icon

SubjectAuthor
* Firefox iconEd Cryer
+* Re: Firefox iconAndy Burns
|`* Re: Firefox iconEd Cryer
| `* Re: Firefox iconAndy Burns
|  `* Re: Firefox iconEd Cryer
|   `- Re: Firefox iconEd Cryer
+* Re: Firefox iconPaul
|`- Re: Firefox iconPaul
+* Re: Firefox iconBrad
|`- Re: Firefox iconPaul
+* Re: Firefox icon...winston
|`* Re: Firefox iconEd Cryer
| `- Re: Firefox iconAndy Burns
+* Re: Firefox iconNewyana2
|+* Re: Firefox iconPaul
||`* Re: Firefox iconAndy Burns
|| `* Re: Firefox iconPaul
||  `- Re: Firefox iconNewyana2
|`* Re: Firefox iconEd Cryer
| +* Re: Firefox iconEd Cryer
| |+- Re: Firefox iconBig Al
| |`- Re: Firefox iconAllanH
| `* Re: Firefox iconNewyana2
|  +* Re: Firefox iconEd Cryer
|  |+- Re: Firefox iconPaul
|  |`* Re: Firefox iconNewyana2
|  | `* Re: Firefox iconEd Cryer
|  |  `* Re: Firefox iconEd Cryer
|  |   `* Re: Firefox iconAndy Burns
|  |    `* Re: Firefox iconEd Cryer
|  |     `- Re: Firefox iconPaul
|  `- Re: Firefox iconFrank Slootweg
`* Re: Firefox iconwasbit
 `- Re: Firefox iconEd Cryer

Pages:12
Firefox icon

<ue93sl$1mib7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=73367&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73367

From: ed...@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Firefox icon
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 10:05:17 +0100
 by: Ed Cryer - Mon, 18 Sep 2023 09:05 UTC

The icon is wrong on HTM and HTML files. It shows a textfile icon.
FiletypesMan doesn't work; at least not here. It gives me a choice of
icons for the .exe, I click on the one I want, no change.
I also notice that Nirsoft's IconExplorer is no longer available.

Help please.

Ed

Re: Firefox icon

<kmqltfF19poU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=73368&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73368

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Firefox icon
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 11:08:48 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 18 Sep 2023 10:08 UTC

Ed Cryer wrote:

> The icon is wrong on HTM and HTML files. It shows a textfile icon.
> FiletypesMan doesn't work; at least not here. It gives me a choice of
> icons for the .exe, I click on the one I want, no change.

Try clearing icon cache?

<https://www.thewindowsclub.com/rebuild-icon-clear-thumbnail-cache-windows-10>

Re: Firefox icon

<ue9ore$1qik2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=73370&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73370

From: ed...@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 16:02:48 +0100
 by: Ed Cryer - Mon, 18 Sep 2023 15:02 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:
> Ed Cryer wrote:
>
>> The icon is wrong on HTM and HTML files. It shows a textfile icon.
>> FiletypesMan doesn't work; at least not here. It gives me a choice of
>> icons for the .exe, I click on the one I want, no change.
>
> Try clearing icon cache?
>
> <https://www.thewindowsclub.com/rebuild-icon-clear-thumbnail-cache-windows-10>

Already done that. No noticeable difference.

Ed

Re: Firefox icon

<kmr7r6F3ivqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=73371&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73371

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 16:14:47 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 18 Sep 2023 15:14 UTC

Ed Cryer wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> Try clearing icon cache?
>
> Already done that. No noticeable difference.

When you double-click to open a .html file, does it use firefox or notepad?

Try right-click a html file, open with, choose another app, select
firefox, then click always ...

Re: Firefox icon

<ue9rhn$1r24p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=73372&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73372

From: ed...@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 16:48:10 +0100
 by: Ed Cryer - Mon, 18 Sep 2023 15:48 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:
> Ed Cryer wrote:
>
>> Andy Burns wrote:
>>
>>> Try clearing icon cache?
>>
>> Already done that. No noticeable difference.
>
> When you double-click to open a .html file, does it use firefox or notepad?
>
> Try right-click a html file, open with, choose another app, select
> firefox, then click always ...

It opens with FF.

I choose an HTML file, open with Edge and the icon changes to the Edge
icon. Then I open with Firefox, and it changes back to the text icon.
All other icons look pristine.

I chose an icon from Shell32.DLL and changed FF to that; no change occurred.

This is something to do solely with Firefox; and it's as if Windows has
one fixed icon for FF, the text icon.

Ed

Re: Firefox icon

<ue9ucl$1rkuf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=73373&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73373

From: ed...@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 17:37:12 +0100
 by: Ed Cryer - Mon, 18 Sep 2023 16:37 UTC

Ed Cryer wrote:
> Andy Burns wrote:
>> Ed Cryer wrote:

>>> Already done that. No noticeable difference.
>>
>> When you double-click to open a .html file, does it use firefox or
>> notepad?
>>
>> Try right-click a html file, open with, choose another app, select
>> firefox, then click always ...
>>

> It opens with FF.
>
> I choose an HTML file, open with Edge and the icon changes to the Edge
> icon. Then I open with Firefox, and it changes back to the text icon.
> All other icons look pristine.
>
> I chose an icon from Shell32.DLL and changed FF to that; no change
> occurred.
>
> This is something to do solely with Firefox; and it's as if Windows has
> one fixed icon for FF, the text icon.
>
> Ed

Well, surprise, surprise!
I've checked with some other PCs and a laptop. One other PC has exactly
the same problem, while the rest are ok.
There's no syncing between PCs.
All have FF 117.0.1

Ed

Re: Firefox icon

<ue9vqn$1rv2f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=73374&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73374

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 13:02:14 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 18 Sep 2023 17:02 UTC

On 9/18/2023 5:05 AM, Ed Cryer wrote:
> The icon is wrong on HTM and HTML files. It shows a textfile icon.
> FiletypesMan doesn't work; at least not here. It gives me a choice of icons for the .exe, I click on the one I want, no change.
> I also notice that Nirsoft's IconExplorer is no longer available.
>
> Help please.
>
> Ed

On Firefox, helper.exe was the program that had multiple functions.
Some of the functions involved file types and so on.

https://firefox-source-docs.mozilla.org/browser/installer/windows/installer/Helper.html

Windows 10 did away with some of the levers it uses. That's why
I selected the Windows interface for this, and compared to the
program icon, to see if everything has an icon or not.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/K8D6vD7W/default-app.gif

It's possible FileTypesMan is attempting to access a registry
entry that no longer exists. Oh, the framework for it exists,
but the Icon entry is removed. which likely means, even if FileTypesMan
were to add that Icon entry, it would be ignored.

There are multiple references to the icon.

If yours looks like mine in the picture, it might still be
some issue with the iconcache, but hard to say what the issue
would be.

If your machine did Windows Update Patch Tuesday recently, make sure
it's been "rebooted enough times". One thing I had happen a
couple days ago, is the machine did a restart on its own, and
as far as I know, there was no reason for it to be restarting.
That's usually a sign it has not "digested its meal" :-)
It's like a cow, with four stomachs.

Paul

Re: Firefox icon

<uea3i0$1smdt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=73375&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73375

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 14:05:50 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 18 Sep 2023 18:05 UTC

On 9/18/2023 1:02 PM, Paul wrote:
> On 9/18/2023 5:05 AM, Ed Cryer wrote:
>> The icon is wrong on HTM and HTML files. It shows a textfile icon.
>> FiletypesMan doesn't work; at least not here. It gives me a choice of icons for the .exe, I click on the one I want, no change.
>> I also notice that Nirsoft's IconExplorer is no longer available.
>>
>> Help please.
>>
>> Ed
>
> On Firefox, helper.exe was the program that had multiple functions.
> Some of the functions involved file types and so on.
>
> https://firefox-source-docs.mozilla.org/browser/installer/windows/installer/Helper.html
>
> Windows 10 did away with some of the levers it uses. That's why
> I selected the Windows interface for this, and compared to the
> program icon, to see if everything has an icon or not.
>
> [Picture]
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/K8D6vD7W/default-app.gif
>
> It's possible FileTypesMan is attempting to access a registry
> entry that no longer exists. Oh, the framework for it exists,
> but the Icon entry is removed. which likely means, even if FileTypesMan
> were to add that Icon entry, it would be ignored.
>
> There are multiple references to the icon.
>
> If yours looks like mine in the picture, it might still be
> some issue with the iconcache, but hard to say what the issue
> would be.
>
> If your machine did Windows Update Patch Tuesday recently, make sure
> it's been "rebooted enough times". One thing I had happen a
> couple days ago, is the machine did a restart on its own, and
> as far as I know, there was no reason for it to be restarting.
> That's usually a sign it has not "digested its meal" :-)
> It's like a cow, with four stomachs.
>
> Paul

I looked at 117.0.1 and helper.exe, if I do Open Inside
with 7ZIP, it has an "AccessControl.dll" added. None of the
other helper.exe DLLs have changed. Just that one added.

The icon on the 117.0.1 Firefox.exe works fine. It's a different
icon than the icon of the version of Firefox actually installed on
the machine, which proves the shell pulled the icon OK.

I tried installing it with Anti-Tamper turned on, and
it still installed OK. Tested in a Win10 VM.

Paul

Re: Firefox icon

<uea5q6$ii8n$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=73376&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73376

From: inva...@invalid.net (Brad)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 19:41:18 +0100
 by: Brad - Mon, 18 Sep 2023 18:41 UTC

Hey GG, this is too simple. Have you tested it or are you trolling
again. Are you aware that you are banned on other servers? E-S doesn't
carry any of your posts.

On 18/09/2023 18:15, 😉 Good Guy 😉 wrote:
> On 18/09/2023 10:05, Ed Cryer wrote:
>> The icon is wrong on HTM and HTML files. It shows a textfile icon.
>> FiletypesMan doesn't work; at least not here. It gives me a choice of
>> icons for the .exe, I click on the one I want, no change.
>>

> The simplest way to change icons is to Right-Click on the file (in
> your case html file) and then choose "Properties". Then click on the
> Change button as shown in this picture:
>
> [ img ] <https://i.imgur.com/0PIXCnU.png>
>

> You need to start thinking outside the box and use common sense (even
> if it might not be common with everybody).
>
> Good luck and happy computing.
>

> Arrest
> Dictator Putin
>
> We Stand
> With Ukraine
>
> Stop Putin
> Ukraine Under Attack
>

> --
> https://www.temu.com/us
> https://www.ibuypower.com/
> https://www.rshtech.com/
> https://odysee.com/
> https://b4ukraine.org/
> https://www.eff.org/

Re: Firefox icon

<ueaa0m$1tvsp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=73377&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73377

From: winston...@gmail.com (...winston)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 15:56:04 -0400
 by: ...winston - Mon, 18 Sep 2023 19:56 UTC

Ed Cryer wrote:
> The icon is wrong on HTM and HTML files. It shows a textfile icon.
> FiletypesMan doesn't work; at least not here. It gives me a choice of
> icons for the .exe, I click on the one I want, no change.
> I also notice that Nirsoft's IconExplorer is no longer available.
>
> Help please.
>
> Ed
Not sure if this helps.
If I use FF to save a web page(same page, both options-web page only htm
or web page complete htm/html) the saved file aligns with my current
default(Edge, Edge icon) for htm and html file types.

If right click the htm or html file and select Open With, then select
choose another app, select FF and 'Always use this app' the icon
permanently changes to using the FF icon. It remains the same until I
repeat the process, choosing Edge and always use this app(or even Chrome
and always use)then reverting to the 'Always used' app icon.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Firefox icon

<ueabc0$1u8f0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=73378&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73378

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 16:19:10 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 18 Sep 2023 20:19 UTC

On 9/18/2023 2:41 PM, Brad wrote:
> Hey GG, this is too simple. Have you tested it or are you trolling
> again. Are you aware that you are banned on other servers? E-S doesn't
> carry any of your posts.

He's not banned.

He is posting HTML messages in a text group, and he
gets filtered off for that.

The filter does not "trigger on GG in the header", it
triggers on the malformed parts of the message. If
he wants to join in, all he has to do is conform on
format, which is *too hard for him* .

There are various parts of the message, with conformance requirements.
Most USENET clients, are capable of doing this, out of the box.
It's when you mess around, that your posts are rejected. The
individuals who are rejected, do it on purpose, and know they
will be rejected. Relf is an example. He specializes in rejection.

The administrator of E-S, is working on a much more capable
filter, which will be delivered when it is ready. It will be
designed to remove Google Drug Spam, which is rampant.
It will still allow Gropers to post, and will remove
the spammy bits (which is most of the traffic). The admin claims
the filter will be "more capable than CleanFeed". The proof will
be in the pudding (as people have tried to write filters in the
past, which did not gain traction). The other experienced admins,
have all sorts of requirements, for any prospective filter packages,
and meeting all the requirements is tough.

There is a kook in another group, the messages are so awfully
constructed, as to be unreadable. Yet, the kook gets their
message through *because it does conform to message format requirements* .
That's a successful kook for you. Stupid enough to post unreadable
content, smart enough to comply with the format. See how simple
this is ? Any child can manage this.

Paul

Re: Firefox icon

<uebum4$2affo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=73384&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73384

From: ed...@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 11:54:14 +0100
 by: Ed Cryer - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 10:54 UTC

....winston wrote:
> Ed Cryer wrote:
>> The icon is wrong on HTM and HTML files. It shows a textfile icon.
>> FiletypesMan doesn't work; at least not here. It gives me a choice of
>> icons for the .exe, I click on the one I want, no change.
>> I also notice that Nirsoft's IconExplorer is no longer available.
>>
>> Help please.
>>
>> Ed
> Not sure if this helps.
> If I use FF to save a web page(same page, both options-web page only htm
> or web page complete htm/html) the saved file aligns with my current
> default(Edge, Edge icon) for htm and html file types.
>
> If right click the htm or html file and select Open With, then select
> choose another app, select FF and 'Always use this app' the icon
> permanently changes to using the FF icon. It remains the same until I
> repeat the process, choosing Edge and always use this app(or even Chrome
> and always use)then reverting to the 'Always used' app icon.

That doesn't work for me.

I suppose the traditional method of re-install might work.
You could export Bookmarks, save all Add-on data as explained here;
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1075976
uninstall, download and install.

The trouble I have with that is the amount of work involved; and all
without the assurance that it will work, let alone the possibility of
some slip-up.

So, it stays; until maybe so many others start experiencing the problem
that Mozilla mend it.

Ed

Re: Firefox icon

<uec2ur$2b7e7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=73385&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73385

From: Newya...@invalid.nospam (Newyana2)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 08:07:02 -0400
 by: Newyana2 - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 12:07 UTC

"Ed Cryer" <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote

| The icon is wrong on HTM and HTML files. It shows a textfile icon.
| FiletypesMan doesn't work; at least not here. It gives me a choice of
| icons for the .exe, I click on the one I want, no change.
| I also notice that Nirsoft's IconExplorer is no longer available.

First, stop using Edge. This sounds like a return to
the sleazy days when updating IE would break Netscape
and installing Netscape would break IE. MS and other
companies change file defaults they have no business
changing. Why would you use Edge, anyway? It' MS's
commercial crap and may even still have Google
connections.

Go to the Registry HKCR, find HKCR\.html The default
value will be something like "htmlfile". Whatever it is,
find that. ex.: HKCR\htmlfile

Under that key is HKCR\htmlfile\shell

Under that will be \open\command, which specifies
the default program, and DefaultIcon, which specifies
the path and number of the icon. If you use a single-image
..ico file then you put [path]\firefox1.ico,0

Or it might be like C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\Firefox.exe,3

Same with shell.dll. Count in to the 0-based offset of the
icons that the browser window shows you. Or extract the
icon you want and put it somewhere safe for use.

Sometimes programs will mess it up by changing the default
file type. For example, if MS set the default value of HCKR\.html
to "EdgeFile" then HKCR\htmlfile will have no effect. Then your
choice is to either edit HKCR\EdgeFile or change it back to
whatever it should be. (I don't set Firefox as default, so I don't
know offhand what the Firefox "class name" is for an HTML file.
It might be htmlfile. It might be Firefox.html. It might be
HTMLMozfile. There's no telling.)

This may sound complicated, but it's very simple once you
get the gist of it. Windows just goes and looks up the extension
in the format .xyz. The default value there gives the "class"
name. A class just means a defined set of data. It's an
arbitrary moniker. When you look up HKCR\[classname], all
info defining that file type is there. So you can change the info
or you can change the default class name to point to a different
set of data keys.
(HKCR, after all, stands for "Handle to the Key containing root
classes".

Re: Firefox icon

<kmtjgeFfqmuU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=73387&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73387

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 13:46:06 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 12:46 UTC

Ed Cryer wrote:

> I suppose the traditional method of re-install might work.
> You could export Bookmarks, save all Add-on data as explained here;
> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1075976
> uninstall, download and install.

installing and/or uninstalling doesn't remove profile, so just do a
straight re-install over the top ...

Re: Firefox icon

<uec8sg$2ccjv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=73390&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73390

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 09:49:02 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 13:49 UTC

On 9/19/2023 8:07 AM, Newyana2 wrote:
> "Ed Cryer" <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote
>
> | The icon is wrong on HTM and HTML files. It shows a textfile icon.
> | FiletypesMan doesn't work; at least not here. It gives me a choice of
> | icons for the .exe, I click on the one I want, no change.
> | I also notice that Nirsoft's IconExplorer is no longer available.
> |

> First, stop using Edge. This sounds like a return to
> the sleazy days when updating IE would break Netscape
> and installing Netscape would break IE. MS and other
> companies change file defaults they have no business
> changing. Why would you use Edge, anyway? It' MS's
> commercial crap and may even still have Google
> connections.
>
> Go to the Registry HKCR, find HKCR\.html The default
> value will be something like "htmlfile". Whatever it is,
> find that. ex.: HKCR\htmlfile
>
> Under that key is HKCR\htmlfile\shell
>
> Under that will be \open\command, which specifies
> the default program, and DefaultIcon, which specifies
> the path and number of the icon. If you use a single-image
> .ico file then you put [path]\firefox1.ico,0
>
> Or it might be like C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\Firefox.exe,3
>
> Same with shell.dll. Count in to the 0-based offset of the
> icons that the browser window shows you. Or extract the
> icon you want and put it somewhere safe for use.
>
> Sometimes programs will mess it up by changing the default
> file type. For example, if MS set the default value of HCKR\.html
> to "EdgeFile" then HKCR\htmlfile will have no effect. Then your
> choice is to either edit HKCR\EdgeFile or change it back to
> whatever it should be. (I don't set Firefox as default, so I don't
> know offhand what the Firefox "class name" is for an HTML file.
> It might be htmlfile. It might be Firefox.html. It might be
> HTMLMozfile. There's no telling.)
>
> This may sound complicated, but it's very simple once you
> get the gist of it. Windows just goes and looks up the extension
> in the format .xyz. The default value there gives the "class"
> name. A class just means a defined set of data. It's an
> arbitrary moniker. When you look up HKCR\[classname], all
> info defining that file type is there. So you can change the info
> or you can change the default class name to point to a different
> set of data keys.
> (HKCR, after all, stands for "Handle to the Key containing root
> classes".

The current MSEdge is based on Chromium. Chromium is open source (FOSS)
and is the "Google-Free" version. The Google advertising additions,
whatever they are this week, are closed source. Google is NOT going
to give Microsoft source for the advertising additions. Notice as well
in this table, that Microsoft changes are NOT on top of Google changes.
In the FOSS world, these are "forks". Anyone can fork Chromium ("Brave browser").

Chromium + Google_Closed_Source = "Chrome" (Google released)
Chromium + Microsoft_Closed_Source = "MSEdge" (Microsoft released)
Chromium = Chromium <=== this version is un-bodged
( if you can find it!!! )

Chromium obviously offers nooks and crannies for tracking methods.
It's not an attempt to build a TOR Browser bundle or a Sekret Squirrel browser.
It's just a plain abuse-able browser with a certain Engine Type inside.

Microsoft is supposed to start with Chromium and merge in their stuff.

If you can find a Chromium page, it has release numbers. The other
products should pay some sort of homage to the originating release numbers.

Chromium staff can see Mozilla code.
Mozilla staff can see Chromium code.

Paul

Re: Firefox icon

<kmtom4Fg79jU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=73391&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73391

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 15:14:29 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 14:14 UTC

Paul wrote:

> The current MSEdge is based on Chromium. Chromium is open source (FOSS)
> and is the "Google-Free" version. The Google advertising additions,
> whatever they are this week, are closed source. Google is NOT going
> to give Microsoft source for the advertising additions. Notice as well
> in this table, that Microsoft changes are NOT on top of Google changes.
> In the FOSS world, these are "forks". Anyone can fork Chromium ("Brave browser").
>
> Chromium + Google_Closed_Source = "Chrome" (Google released)
> Chromium + Microsoft_Closed_Source = "MSEdge" (Microsoft released)
> Chromium = Chromium <=== this version is un-bodged
> ( if you can find it!!! )

Or there's SRware Iron, I don't know whether it adds its own closed
sources, or is essentially pure Chromium?

<https://www.srware.net/iron#whyiron>

Re: Firefox icon

<uecgjr$2dspf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=73395&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73395

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 12:00:59 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 16:00 UTC

On 9/19/2023 10:14 AM, Andy Burns wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>
>> The current MSEdge is based on Chromium. Chromium is open source (FOSS)
>> and is the "Google-Free" version. The Google advertising additions,
>> whatever they are this week, are closed source. Google is NOT going
>> to give Microsoft source for the advertising additions. Notice as well
>> in this table, that Microsoft changes are NOT on top of Google changes.
>> In the FOSS world, these are "forks". Anyone can fork Chromium ("Brave browser").
>>
>>     Chromium + Google_Closed_Source     = "Chrome" (Google released)
>>     Chromium + Microsoft_Closed_Source  = "MSEdge" (Microsoft released)
>>     Chromium                            =  Chromium   <=== this version is un-bodged
>>                                                            ( if you can find it!!! )
>
> Or there's SRware Iron, I don't know whether it adds its own closed sources, or is essentially pure Chromium?
>
> <https://www.srware.net/iron#whyiron>

They all have the same opportunities for mischief.

Paul

Re: Firefox icon

<uecnmk$2fch1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=73396&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73396

From: ed...@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 19:00:22 +0100
 by: Ed Cryer - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 18:00 UTC

Newyana2 wrote:
> "Ed Cryer" <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote
>
> | The icon is wrong on HTM and HTML files. It shows a textfile icon.
> | FiletypesMan doesn't work; at least not here. It gives me a choice of
> | icons for the .exe, I click on the one I want, no change.
> | I also notice that Nirsoft's IconExplorer is no longer available.
> |

> First, stop using Edge. This sounds like a return to
> the sleazy days when updating IE would break Netscape
> and installing Netscape would break IE. MS and other
> companies change file defaults they have no business
> changing. Why would you use Edge, anyway? It' MS's
> commercial crap and may even still have Google
> connections.
>
> Go to the Registry HKCR, find HKCR\.html The default
> value will be something like "htmlfile". Whatever it is,
> find that. ex.: HKCR\htmlfile
>
> Under that key is HKCR\htmlfile\shell
>
> Under that will be \open\command, which specifies
> the default program, and DefaultIcon, which specifies
> the path and number of the icon. If you use a single-image
> .ico file then you put [path]\firefox1.ico,0
>
> Or it might be like C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\Firefox.exe,3
>
> Same with shell.dll. Count in to the 0-based offset of the
> icons that the browser window shows you. Or extract the
> icon you want and put it somewhere safe for use.
>
> Sometimes programs will mess it up by changing the default
> file type. For example, if MS set the default value of HCKR\.html
> to "EdgeFile" then HKCR\htmlfile will have no effect. Then your
> choice is to either edit HKCR\EdgeFile or change it back to
> whatever it should be. (I don't set Firefox as default, so I don't
> know offhand what the Firefox "class name" is for an HTML file.
> It might be htmlfile. It might be Firefox.html. It might be
> HTMLMozfile. There's no telling.)
>
> This may sound complicated, but it's very simple once you
> get the gist of it. Windows just goes and looks up the extension
> in the format .xyz. The default value there gives the "class"
> name. A class just means a defined set of data. It's an
> arbitrary moniker. When you look up HKCR\[classname], all
> info defining that file type is there. So you can change the info
> or you can change the default class name to point to a different
> set of data keys.
> (HKCR, after all, stands for "Handle to the Key containing root
> classes".

Good Lord! Under that registry entry I have "C:\Program Files\Internet
Explorer\IEXPLORER.EXE" %1

What do I do now?

BTW, how the hell do you clear Win10 of Edge without crippling your
system? MS have super-glued it in.

Ed

Re: Firefox icon

<uecpon$2fp1v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=73397&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73397

From: ed...@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 19:36:53 +0100
 by: Ed Cryer - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 18:36 UTC

Ed Cryer wrote:
> Newyana2 wrote:
>> "Ed Cryer" <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote
>>
>> | The icon is wrong on HTM and HTML files. It shows a textfile icon.
>> | FiletypesMan doesn't work; at least not here. It gives me a choice of
>> | icons for the .exe, I click on the one I want, no change.
>> | I also notice that Nirsoft's IconExplorer is no longer available.
>> |

>>    First, stop using Edge. This sounds like a return to
>> the sleazy days when updating IE would break Netscape
>> and installing Netscape would break IE. MS and other
>> companies change file defaults they have no business
>> changing. Why would you use Edge, anyway? It' MS's
>> commercial crap and may even still have Google
>> connections.
>>
>>    Go to the Registry HKCR, find HKCR\.html The default
>> value will be something like "htmlfile". Whatever it is,
>> find that. ex.: HKCR\htmlfile
>>
>>     Under that key is HKCR\htmlfile\shell
>>
>>    Under that will be \open\command, which specifies
>> the default program, and DefaultIcon, which specifies
>> the path and number of the icon. If you use a single-image
>> .ico file then you put [path]\firefox1.ico,0
>>
>>    Or it might be like C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\Firefox.exe,3
>>
>>    Same with shell.dll. Count in to the 0-based offset of the
>> icons that the browser window shows you. Or extract the
>> icon you want and put it somewhere safe for use.
>>
>>    Sometimes programs will mess it up by changing the default
>> file type. For example, if MS set the default value of HCKR\.html
>> to "EdgeFile" then HKCR\htmlfile will have no effect. Then your
>> choice is to either edit HKCR\EdgeFile or change it back to
>> whatever it should be. (I don't set Firefox as default, so I don't
>> know offhand what the Firefox "class name" is for an HTML file.
>> It might be htmlfile. It might be Firefox.html. It might be
>> HTMLMozfile. There's no telling.)
>>
>>   This may sound complicated, but it's very simple once you
>> get the gist of it. Windows just goes and looks up the extension
>> in the format .xyz. The default value there gives the "class"
>> name. A class just means a defined set of data. It's an
>> arbitrary moniker. When you look up HKCR\[classname], all
>> info defining that file type is there. So you can change the info
>> or you can change the default class name to point to a different
>> set of data keys.
>> (HKCR, after all, stands for "Handle to the Key containing root
>> classes".
>>

> Good Lord! Under that registry entry I have "C:\Program Files\Internet
> Explorer\IEXPLORER.EXE" %1
>
> What do I do now?
>
> BTW, how the hell do you clear Win10 of Edge without crippling your
> system? MS have super-glued it in.
>
> Ed

When I go into that IE folder and click on iexplore.exe, it loads and
presents me with a screen to install Edge.
MS Edge is stalking me; me and lots of others. MS Edge is like Count
Dracula transported from Transylvania into London. It rises from its
coffin like Bella Lugosi at midnight, wanders the corridors in search of
blood and fair maidens with nubile breasts, and has somehow managed to
survive in daylight.
I'm gonna call in an exorcist. Maybe the Vatican still has an official
one. In Nomine Patris et aliorum numinum te anathematizo. And whoosh! A
flash of dazzling light, a blazing cross descends, and beautiful soulful
music plays all around.
And I look in my PC, and all is good.
Ed (;-

Re: Firefox icon

<uecr0e$2fvt7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=73398&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73398

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 14:58:22 -0400
 by: Big Al - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 18:58 UTC

On 9/19/23 14:36, this is what Ed Cryer wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> What do I do now?
>>
>> BTW, how the hell do you clear Win10 of Edge without crippling your system? MS have super-glued it in.
>>
>> Ed
>>

> When I go into that IE folder and click on iexplore.exe, it loads and presents me with a screen to install Edge.
>
> MS Edge is stalking me; me and lots of others. MS Edge is like Count Dracula transported from Transylvania into London.
> It rises from its coffin like Bella Lugosi at midnight, wanders the corridors in search of blood and fair maidens with
> nubile breasts, and has somehow managed to survive in daylight.
>
> I'm gonna call in an exorcist. Maybe the Vatican still has an official one. In Nomine Patris et aliorum numinum te
> anathematizo. And whoosh! A flash of dazzling light, a blazing cross descends, and beautiful soulful music plays all

You do live in a magical world huh. :-)
--
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon
Al

Re: Firefox icon

<uecvbg$c274$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=73399&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73399

From: nos...@unokix.invalid (AllanH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 15:12:31 -0500
 by: AllanH - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 20:12 UTC

On 9/19/2023 1:36 PM, Ed Cryer wrote:
> [...]
>> Explorer\IEXPLORER.EXE" %1
>>
>> What do I do now?
>>
>> BTW, how the hell do you clear Win10 of Edge without crippling your
>> system? MS have super-glued it in.
>>
>> Ed
>>

> When I go into that IE folder and click on iexplore.exe, it loads and
> presents me with a screen to install Edge.
>
> MS Edge is stalking me; me and lots of others. MS Edge is like Count
> Dracula transported from Transylvania into London. It rises from its
> coffin like Bella Lugosi at midnight, wanders the corridors in search of
> blood and fair maidens with nubile breasts, and has somehow managed to
> survive in daylight.
>
> I'm gonna call in an exorcist. Maybe the Vatican still has an official
> one. In Nomine Patris et aliorum numinum te anathematizo. And whoosh! A
> flash of dazzling light, a blazing cross descends, and beautiful soulful

The reason I never see Edge any longer is I now use MSEdgeRedirect.

"This tool filters and passes the command line arguments of Microsoft
Edge processes into your default browser instead of hooking into the
microsoft-edge: handler."
https://github.com/rcmaehl/MSEdgeRedirect

Re: Firefox icon

<ueddv3$2jd00$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=73400&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73400

From: Newya...@invalid.nospam (Newyana2)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 20:21:03 -0400
 by: Newyana2 - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 00:21 UTC

"Paul" <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote

| > Or there's SRware Iron, I don't know whether it adds its own closed
sources, or is essentially pure Chromium?

| > <https://www.srware.net/iron#whyiron>
| >
| They all have the same opportunities for mischief.

I tried SRWare Iron once. It tried to call home without asking.
When it was blocked it tried to call Google! I have something
called unGoogled Chromium. I don't know for sure that it's
clean. I don't think basic Chromium is clean. The other problem
with it is that there are so few controls compared to Firefox.
For example, it's impossible to just choose to have a menu!
I found and extension for a menu but it showed up under
the toolbar.... In any case, I wouldn't touch any of it. I just
have Chromium because my RPi4 used to need it for streaming.

I can only assume that both Google and MS are going to do
whatever they can with their browsers to keep people in
their walled gardens, being spied on. So I just don't see why
anyone who knows what a browser is would use Edge.

Re: Firefox icon

<uedeb3$2jekr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=73401&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73401

From: Newya...@invalid.nospam (Newyana2)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 20:27:27 -0400
 by: Newyana2 - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 00:27 UTC

"Ed Cryer" <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote

| Good Lord! Under that registry entry I have "C:\Program Files\Internet
| Explorer\IEXPLORER.EXE" %1
| Under what entry? HKCR\htmlfile\shell\open\command?

| What do I do now?
| Just point it to Firefox. On my system the FF classname
is FirefoxHTML. So if you set the default values of HTML
extensions (htm, html, etc) to FirefoxHTML, the rest should
take care of itself.

| BTW, how the hell do you clear Win10 of Edge without crippling your
| system? MS have super-glued it in.

I haven't even seen Edge. I now have Win10 and 11. I
run Firefox and Waterfox. I haven't seen any attempt of
Edge to load or hassle me. Though I also disabled various
Edge-related crap, in both services and autoruns if I
remember correctly. Maybe it runs in the background if
you don't do that.

Re: Firefox icon

<ueee83$2sesp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=73402&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73402

From: ed...@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 10:03:54 +0100
 by: Ed Cryer - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 09:03 UTC

Newyana2 wrote:
> "Ed Cryer" <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote
>
> | Good Lord! Under that registry entry I have "C:\Program Files\Internet
> | Explorer\IEXPLORER.EXE" %1
> |
> Under what entry? HKCR\htmlfile\shell\open\command?
>
> | What do I do now?
> |
> Just point it to Firefox. On my system the FF classname
> is FirefoxHTML. So if you set the default values of HTML
> extensions (htm, html, etc) to FirefoxHTML, the rest should
> take care of itself.
>
> | BTW, how the hell do you clear Win10 of Edge without crippling your
> | system? MS have super-glued it in.
> |

> I haven't even seen Edge. I now have Win10 and 11. I
> run Firefox and Waterfox. I haven't seen any attempt of
> Edge to load or hassle me. Though I also disabled various
> Edge-related crap, in both services and autoruns if I
> remember correctly. Maybe it runs in the background if
> you don't do that.

I tried without success.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\shell\open\command.
First I changed it to ""C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" %1
Then I tried without the %1.

I suspect I may have misunderstood your instructions.
How does FirefoxHTML come into the mix? Is that another change to make?

Ed

Re: Firefox icon

<ueei1r$2t3mk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=73403&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73403

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 06:37:46 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 10:37 UTC

On 9/20/2023 5:03 AM, Ed Cryer wrote:
> Newyana2 wrote:
>> "Ed Cryer" <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote
>>
>> | Good Lord! Under that registry entry I have "C:\Program Files\Internet
>> | Explorer\IEXPLORER.EXE" %1
>> |
>>    Under what entry? HKCR\htmlfile\shell\open\command?
>>
>> | What do I do now?
>> |
>>    Just point it to Firefox. On my system the FF classname
>> is FirefoxHTML. So if you set the default values of HTML
>> extensions (htm, html, etc) to FirefoxHTML, the rest should
>> take care of itself.
>>
>> | BTW, how the hell do you clear Win10 of Edge without crippling your
>> | system? MS have super-glued it in.
>> |

>>     I haven't even seen Edge. I now have Win10 and 11. I
>> run Firefox and Waterfox. I haven't seen any attempt of
>> Edge to load or hassle me. Though I also disabled various
>> Edge-related crap, in both services and autoruns if I
>> remember correctly. Maybe it runs in the background if
>> you don't do that.
>>

> I tried without success.
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\shell\open\command.
> First I changed it to ""C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" %1
> Then I tried without the %1.
>
> I suspect I may have misunderstood your instructions.
> How does FirefoxHTML come into the mix? Is that another change to make?
>
> Ed

These would be assignments created if Firefox was your default browser.

When Firefox installs, the FirefoxHTML should be defined by Firefox,
for usage later in various Windows scenarios. "Hey, I support the
following file extensions, iff I become the default application."

If you looked in File Explorer, and say, a file ended in .html ,
then the registry setting in the example would say to use
firefox.exe to do the job. And in the process of File Explorer
examining the entire folder contents, it would pull a .ico from
the firefox.exe executable, as an icon for the screen. Perhaps
the iconcache would keep a copy of that .ico for the next time.

You could pull a different Firefox icon, for each file extension
type it supports. I've seen applications do that, use a different
icon for the more obscure extensions.

If you use 7ZIP, and look inside .rsrc\ICON\ of firefox.exe (that's the
internals of the program as displayed in 7ZIP), you can see a large
number of various sorts of icon files. I have no idea how the choosing
among those is done, but somehow one of those items in that folder
is used for File Explorer purposes.

Your problem should have been fixed, with the "default program" interface.
Assuming the set of registry entries for Firefox were working correctly.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/Qd7FDt3m/Firefox-HTML.gif

If we really understood this stuff, it would be fixed by now :-)
It's probably something that used to work, before Microsoft
started playing with it.

Paul