"I may be synthetic, but I'm not stupid" -- the artificial person, from _Aliens_

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Re: (OT) Usb problem[Solved]

SubjectAuthor
* (OT) Usb problemNic
+* Re: (OT) Usb problemMike Easter
|`* Re: (OT) Usb problemNic
| +* Re: (OT) Usb problemMike Easter
| |`* Re: (OT) Usb problemMike Easter
| | `* Re: (OT) Usb problemNic
| |  +* Re: (OT) Usb problemMike Easter
| |  |`- Re: (OT) Usb problemPaul
| |  `* Re: (OT) Usb problemEnno Borgsteede
| |   `- Re: (OT) Usb problemNic
| `- Re: (OT) Usb problemPaul
`* Re: (OT) Usb problem[Solved]Nic
 +* Re: (OT) Usb problem[Solved]Mike Easter
 |+- Re: (OT) Usb problem[Solved]Paul
 |`* Re: (OT) Usb problem[Solved]Nic
 | `- Re: (OT) Usb problem[Solved]Nic
 `- Re: (OT) Usb problem[Solved]Edmund

1
(OT) Usb problem

<4hYiN.72540$yEgf.60849@fx09.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7325&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7325

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Subject: (OT) Usb problem
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 11:28:47 -0500
 by: Nic - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 16:28 UTC

I recently purchased a 2TB external Crucial Usb drive. It came formatted
ex-fat. I use it to plug into a media player connected to my tv in the
bedroom. The problem I am having is a major loss of usb in the middle of
a 8-10gb file transfer (copy to) from the primary drive to the Crucial
drive. What occurs is a complete loss of usb, that includes the mouse.
My system eventually has to be rebooted. In order to do this I have to
interrupt the power to the system. After that the system will not boot.
I have been able to use a live Puppy on a thumb drive and use the
GParted to Check (fsck) the primary drive, which has errors. After the
scan the system boots up fine. I have determined that is the usb
hardware on my system that is failing, because the problem is duplicated
with Live Puppy. I was wondering if any of you have any experience with

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072LS4JH7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1

5Gbps USB 3.0 PCI Express Expansion Card

I have purchased from Amazon and will install and see if my problem goes
away.

--
Pity the fool who followed his GPS over the cliff

Re: (OT) Usb problem

<kv339rFe2usU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7326&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7326

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: (OT) Usb problem
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 08:56:26 -0800
 by: Mike Easter - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 16:56 UTC

Nic wrote:
> I recently purchased a 2TB external Crucial Usb drive. It came
> formatted ex-fat. I use it to plug into a media player connected to
> my tv in the bedroom. The problem I am having is a major loss of usb
> in the middle of a 8-10gb file transfer (copy to) from the primary
> drive to the Crucial drive. What occurs is a complete loss of usb,
> that includes the mouse. My system eventually has to be rebooted. In
> order to do this I have to interrupt the power to the system. After
> that the system will not boot. I have been able to use a live Puppy
> on a thumb drive and use the GParted to Check (fsck) the primary
> drive, which has errors. After the scan the system boots up fine. I
> have determined that is the usb hardware on my system that is
> failing, because the problem is duplicated with Live Puppy. I was
> wondering if any of you have any experience with
>
> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072LS4JH7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1
>
> 5Gbps USB 3.0 PCI Express Expansion Card
>
> I have purchased from Amazon and will install and see if my problem
> goes away.

The advantage of the new card is plenty of USB amperage. I don't know
about the rest of your 'stuff' but sometimes there isn't enough USB
juice available. Having all the USB die sounds like that.

If I were a big fat Crucial USB external, having my voltage drop because
of excess 'demands' wouldn't do my data transfer or the USB bus any good.

The FebSmart:

--
Mike Easter

Re: (OT) Usb problem

<H4_iN.102938$p%Mb.37925@fx15.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7327&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7327

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 13:32:07 -0500
 by: Nic - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 18:32 UTC

On 12/27/23 11:56 AM, Mike Easter wrote:
> Nic wrote:
>> I recently purchased a 2TB external Crucial Usb drive. It came
>> formatted ex-fat. I use it to plug into a media player connected to
>> my tv in the bedroom. The problem I am having is a major loss of usb
>> in the middle of a 8-10gb file transfer (copy to) from the primary
>> drive to the Crucial drive. What occurs is a complete loss of usb,
>> that includes the mouse. My system eventually has to be rebooted. In
>> order to do this I have to interrupt the power to the system. After
>> that the system will not boot. I have been able to use a live Puppy
>> on a thumb drive and use the GParted to Check (fsck) the primary
>> drive, which has errors. After the scan the system boots up fine. I
>> have determined that is the usb hardware on my system that is
>> failing, because the problem is duplicated with Live Puppy. I was
>> wondering if any of you have any experience with
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072LS4JH7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1
>>

>> 5Gbps USB 3.0 PCI Express Expansion Card
>>
>> I have purchased from Amazon and will install and see if my problem
>> goes away.
>>
> The advantage of the new card is plenty of USB amperage.  I don't know
> about the rest of your 'stuff' but sometimes there isn't enough USB
> juice available.  Having all the USB die sounds like that.
>
> If I were a big fat Crucial USB external, having my voltage drop because
> of excess 'demands' wouldn't do my data transfer or the USB bus any good.
>
> The FebSmart:
>> . It will light up 4X high power consumption USB 3.0 devices which
>> including USB industrial cameras, USB VR-systems, USB 3.0 NVME
>> enclosures, USB live broadcast devices, USB 3.0 SSD/HDD enclosures,
>> USB 3.0 video adapters and USB 3.0 universal docking stations.
>
>> Allow each USB 3.0 port get 5V/2A 10W max (5V/8A 40W in total) power
>> supply from motherboard directly for connected high power consumption
>> USB 3.0 devices.

We shall see. But it seems that you are suggesting a power supply
inadequacy??  If that is the case, then even PCIX will not be able to
deliver such V/Amps.

Re: (OT) Usb problem

<kv3ctcFfqrpU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7328&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7328

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 11:40:28 -0800
 by: Mike Easter - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 19:40 UTC

Nic wrote:
> We shall see. But it seems that you are suggesting a power supply
> inadequacy??  If that is the case, then even PCIX will not be able to
> deliver such V/Amps.

I'm not talking about the 'system' PS; I'm talking about the demands on
the USB power being met by your current rig.

--
Mike Easter

Re: (OT) Usb problem

<kv3djkFfv8eU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7329&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7329

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 11:52:19 -0800
 by: Mike Easter - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 19:52 UTC

Mike Easter wrote:
> Nic wrote:
>> We shall see. But it seems that you are suggesting a power supply
>> inadequacy?? If that is the case, then even PCIX will not be able
>> to deliver such V/Amps.
>
> I'm not talking about the 'system' PS; I'm talking about the demands
> on the USB power being met by your current rig.

As a trivial example; I have an external optical which has no other PS
but USB, its connectivity is *2* USB2; apparently because the mfr felt
that the juice from one would not be sufficient. So, one of the USB is
for the data and power and the other is just for add'l power.

https://www.amazon.com/Female-Splitter-Power-Extension-Adapter/dp/B07CKQSTCB/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=double+usb+cord&qid=1703706616&sr=8-8

--
Mike Easter

Re: (OT) Usb problem

<DE%iN.16240$iHd5.3663@fx01.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7330&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7330

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 15:18:43 -0500
 by: Nic - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 20:18 UTC

On 12/27/23 2:52 PM, Mike Easter wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:
>> Nic wrote:
>>> We shall see. But it seems that you are suggesting a power supply
>>> inadequacy??  If that is the case, then even PCIX will not be able
>>> to deliver such V/Amps.
>>
>> I'm not talking about the 'system' PS; I'm talking about the demands
>> on the USB power being met by your current rig.
>>
> As a trivial example; I have an external optical which has no other PS
> but USB, its connectivity is *2* USB2; apparently because the mfr felt
> that the juice from one would not be sufficient.  So, one of the USB is
> for the data and power and the other is just for add'l power.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Female-Splitter-Power-Extension-Adapter/dp/B07CKQSTCB/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=double+usb+cord&qid=1703706616&sr=8-8
>

>> This dual usb splitter allows for power to be taken from 2 USB ports,
>> such as a PC, external hard drive, intermittent, keyboard, audio The
>> USB Y splitter cable is commonly used in USB2.0 device, just plug and
>> play, easy to use

To me it seems illogical. The images show 1 male usb to 2 female usb,
where the concept would be better served by 2 male usb and 1 female usb.
The female would have the power of 2 usb ports.

Re: (OT) Usb problem

<kv3fvpFgd5rU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7331&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7331

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 12:32:56 -0800
 by: Mike Easter - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 20:32 UTC

Nic wrote:

> To me it seems illogical. The images show 1 male usb to 2 female usb,
> where the concept would be better served by 2 male usb and 1 female
> usb. The female would have the power of 2 usb ports.

The gender of the USB connection is 'immaterial' (except to match up for
the specific use). The Y connector for my optical or the amazon product
has a single USB to the optical side and 2 USB to the computer/device side.

Whether a USB is male or female, it still has exactly the same internal
connections and limitations.

> The USB 2.0 specification allows Hosts to deliver 5V at 500 mA, for a
> total power output of 2.5 watts. USB 3.0 and 3.1 allow 5V at 900 mA
> (4.5W).

Another trivial example is my RPi 3B USB PS, which would be considered
'inadequate' or marginal for a newer RPi 5.

--
Mike Easter

Re: (OT) Usb problem

<umi1m1$1sa3$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7332&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7332

From: ennob...@gmail.com (Enno Borgsteede)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 21:33:05 +0100
 by: Enno Borgsteede - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 20:33 UTC

Two things:

1. Did you take a look at the system logs? They may give a clue after
reboot,

2. Have you checked for heat problems?

I have a 1 TB external HDD, which is a used HDD from a laptop, that I
put in a USB C Hard Drive Enclosure by Ugreen. And that one can get
quite hot and shut down when I run FreeFileSync and need to synchronize
thousands of updated files.

I must add, that it has no problem with a 50 GB VM image, which can be
transferred in a few minutes. The problems seem to arise when there is a
continuous load taking close to an hour.

Re: (OT) Usb problem

<920jN.6539$SyNd.3285@fx33.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7333&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7333

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 15:45:57 -0500
 by: Nic - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 20:45 UTC

On 12/27/23 3:33 PM, Enno Borgsteede wrote:
> Two things:
>
> 1. Did you take a look at the system logs? They may give a clue after
> reboot,
>
> 2. Have you checked for heat problems?
>
> I have a 1 TB external HDD, which is a used HDD from a laptop, that I
> put in a USB C Hard Drive Enclosure by Ugreen. And that one can get
> quite hot and shut down when I run FreeFileSync and need to
> synchronize thousands of updated files.
>
> I must add, that it has no problem with a 50 GB VM image, which can be
> transferred in a few minutes. The problems seem to arise when there is
> a continuous load taking close to an hour.

Suggesting a thermal problem. The tower box is operating with one side
removed and dealing with conditioned air. The Crucial drive does not get
hot. My problem occurs in the first 8-10 minutes.

Re: (OT) Usb problem

<umi9fo$2vnp$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7334&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7334

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 17:46:15 -0500
 by: Paul - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 22:46 UTC

On 12/27/2023 1:32 PM, Nic wrote:
> On 12/27/23 11:56 AM, Mike Easter wrote:
>> Nic wrote:
>>> I recently purchased a 2TB external Crucial Usb drive. It came formatted ex-fat. I use it to plug into a media player connected to my tv in the bedroom. The problem I am having is a major loss of usb in the middle of a 8-10gb file transfer (copy to) from the primary drive to the Crucial drive. What occurs is a complete loss of usb, that includes the mouse. My system eventually has to be rebooted. In order to do this I have to interrupt the power to the system. After that the system will not boot. I have been able to use a live Puppy on a thumb drive and use the GParted to Check (fsck) the primary drive, which has errors. After the scan the system boots up fine. I have determined that is the usb hardware on my system that is failing, because the problem is duplicated with Live Puppy. I was wondering if any of you have any experience with
>>>
>>> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072LS4JH7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1
>>>
>>> 5Gbps USB 3.0 PCI Express Expansion Card
>>>
>>> I have purchased from Amazon and will install and see if my problem goes away.
>>>
>> The advantage of the new card is plenty of USB amperage.  I don't know
>> about the rest of your 'stuff' but sometimes there isn't enough USB
>> juice available.  Having all the USB die sounds like that.
>>
>> If I were a big fat Crucial USB external, having my voltage drop because
>> of excess 'demands' wouldn't do my data transfer or the USB bus any good.
>>
>> The FebSmart:
>>> . It will light up 4X high power consumption USB 3.0 devices which including USB industrial cameras, USB VR-systems, USB 3.0 NVME enclosures, USB live broadcast devices, USB 3.0 SSD/HDD enclosures, USB 3.0 video adapters and USB 3.0 universal docking stations.
>>
>>> Allow each USB 3.0 port get 5V/2A 10W max (5V/8A 40W in total) power
>>> supply from motherboard directly for connected high power consumption
>>> USB 3.0 devices.
>>

> We shall see. But it seems that you are suggesting a power supply inadequacy??  If that is the case, then even PCIX will not be able to deliver such V/Amps.

"1.1"
ATX PSU +5VSB -------+----- fuse ------ USB2 \___ Black USB2 ports
2.5A | ------ USB2 /
max | "2.0"
+----- fuse ------ USB3

PCIe renesas USB3 card
12V@5A? ------- 4x power converters ---- fuse---- +5V USB3

Usually motherboards are pretty good about fuses. Fuse for Parallal Port.
Fuse (or two) for PS-2 serial ports. Fuse per pair of USB2, plus 100uF cap.
Fuse per USB3 port.

But in the past, the very cheapest of motherboards (less than $65), the
bastards shared *one* fuse, over a bunch of hardware. Sure, that works
for all those users who have never plugged anything into the computer.
But for a power-user, that fuse is going to wink out repeatedly.
And if you abuse a Polyfuse enough times, it gets a bit "weak"
from a crystal structure perspective.

the power converters on that PCI Express USB3 card, should
already have current limiters. You could simply make
each converter a 5V @ 2A switcher, for a max of 10 watts.
Then, if all ports ran at max power, that's 40 watts out
of 60 watts (12V rail) max from the slot. The design has fuses, but
doing that as they have, is "belt and suspenders". That's
even assuming they are fuses. They look like Polyfuses,
but they're not the right color.

The spinup current on a 2.5" 15mm high data drive, should
be around 5V @ 1.1 amps. A USB3 port should have sufficient
fuse to handle that. A USB2 port, you may need a "hydra" cable
to get enough power.

A hydro cable, has two un-equal heads. One head has VBUS,D+,D-,GND pins,
the second had has VBUS,GND and the data interface is missing.

"1.1"
----- fuse ------ USB2 <=== plug "full-hydra" here ---+--- Drive can draw 2.2A
------ USB2 | Drive needs 1.1A
| (during spinup)
"1.1" |
----- fuse ------ USB2 <=== plug "half-head" here ----+
------ USB2

Hydro cables have not been popular for a while,
but depending on how ancient a computer you've got, sometimes
a hydra ("USB Y cable") is needed to reliably spin up a laptop HDD.

The ATX supply, with its 2.5 or 3A limit on +5VSB, is
poorly suited for the design decision the industry made.
At one time, some USB ports ran from +5V, some ran from +5VSB,
and the +5V port has 20 amps or so to offer, and you'd never
run out of power. If you charge your Apple iPhone on a modern PC (+5VSB),
and at the same time, try to do a backup on your external rotating HDD,
the PC could shut off when +5VSB is overloaded.

The SSDs I have here, I've tested a few, and they draw 5V @ 500mA
when not running flat-out. The manufacturer claims the supply
consumption can spike, but I have not particularly noticed that
when testing. That means I'm not too worried when I run them
on a USB3 port.

The worst SSDs for that, might be ones with Sandforce controllers
(the ones with the wire-speed data compressor in them). Those can
draw 7 watts from the 5V rail. Which is 1.4 amps. The power spikes
when the compressor is running. It's really an impressive feat,
doing wire speed compression at 500MB/sec, but it takes electricity.
Most other brands of SSD controller chips, don't have a compressor.

If the PC remains running, and all USB dies, then that could be
a shared fuse (a bad motherboard design). If the PC just "goes off" (fans stop)
and winks out, then that is the ATX supply 2.5A limit. Check the
label to see if the ATX supply is 2.5A or 3A. Even when you buy a
1200W ATX supply for $300, it still only has 3A on +5VSB. It was
only ever intended as a "supervisor voltage", it wasn't
really intended to be running toasters or vacuum cleaners.
It's all a bit silly really.

If you have a high enough resolution picture of a motherboard,
you can visually do "fuse analysis". Unfortunately, the twits
today, have put mechanical assemblies all over the place. I
cannot do a fuse analysis on the machine I'm typing on, as a lot
of it is obscured. What I can see though, is it doesn't use Polyfuses
and it's using a very very tiny silicon fuse (a "bug with six legs").
There would be a couple MOSFETs inside there, to switch off the
power on overload. And it's unlikely I could ever in a million
years, get a part number off the thing. It's too small. It's
about 3mm on each edge, has six legs.

Paul

Re: (OT) Usb problem

<umiab2$33g6$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7335&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7335

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 18:00:48 -0500
 by: Paul - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 23:00 UTC

On 12/27/2023 3:32 PM, Mike Easter wrote:
> Nic wrote:
>>
>> To me it seems illogical. The images show 1 male usb to 2 female usb,
>>  where the concept would be better served by 2 male usb and 1 female
>> usb. The female would have the power of 2 usb ports.
>
> The gender of the USB connection is 'immaterial' (except to match up for
> the specific use).  The Y connector for my optical or the amazon product has a single USB to the optical side and 2 USB to the computer/device side.
>
> Whether a USB is male or female, it still has exactly the same internal
> connections and limitations.
>
>> The USB 2.0 specification allows Hosts to deliver 5V at 500 mA, for a
>> total power output of 2.5 watts. USB 3.0 and 3.1 allow 5V at 900 mA
>> (4.5W).
>
> Another trivial example is my RPi 3B USB PS, which would be considered
> 'inadequate' or marginal for a newer RPi 5.

Male ---------- Female VBUS,GND # The example might be a "charging cable"
----- Female VBUS,GND # Not the most clever design...

Male (VBUS,D+,D-,GND) -----------+------- square thingy for external drive casing

Male (VBUS,GND) -----------------+ # This is a hydra cable, for extending +5V amperes to HDD

They might have differences in how they are wired.

Every visual aspect is a clue, in an electronics puzzle.

The current specifications on USB are *consumption* specs.
The config space of the device, when you query the device,
may indicate it is a high power device. The device starts
in low power mode, there is negotiation, endpoints form,
and finally the device is given permission to go to
"high power mode".

The PC on the other hand, is fused at *higher* values. Intel
issued a white paper on the subject, where they told designers
to "knock it off with the 500mA fuses". That's why USB2 ports
got 1.1A Polyfuses -- the Intel white paper helped popularize
the higher limit on actual output capability. Actual output
capability is in excess of "consumption". And consumption does
not always toe the line either -- the Altatel "frog" ADSL modem
drew ~530mA, while the config space consumption said it used
500mA (danger of it winking out on a laptop with a silicon
policeman on the port).

On the PC side, the ATX power supply has an overall limit,
which is pretty low. Usually, a user carrying out a single
mission, will not manage to overflow the ATX label limit on +5VSB.
But all it would take, is an Apple iPhone on the dedicated
PC "charging port" (usually marked with a color), plus plugging
in an external rotating HDD enclosure, and that could be
enough to cause the PC to shut off.

Using the Y-cable with the two male heads, is suited to older
PCs with only USB2 ports. They also make these, as an alternative
to a hydra implementation.

USB male --------- barrel (VBUS,GND) # For external enclosures with barrel aux input +5V
# Equivalent of a hydra, in consideration of the data
# USB cable that is already connected.

Paul

Re: (OT) Usb problem[Solved]

<ZbklN.131010$7sbb.106109@fx16.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7365&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7365

Subject: Re: (OT) Usb problem[Solved]
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2024 16:19:53 -0500
 by: Nic - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 21:19 UTC

On 12/27/23 11:28 AM, Nic wrote:
> I recently purchased a 2TB external Crucial Usb drive. It came
> formatted ex-fat. I use it to plug into a media player connected to my
> tv in the bedroom. The problem I am having is a major loss of usb in
> the middle of a 8-10gb file transfer (copy to) from the primary drive
> to the Crucial drive. What occurs is a complete loss of usb, that
> includes the mouse. My system eventually has to be rebooted. In order
> to do this I have to interrupt the power to the system. After that the
> system will not boot. I have been able to use a live Puppy on a thumb
> drive and use the GParted to Check (fsck) the primary drive, which has
> errors. After the scan the system boots up fine. I have determined
> that is the usb hardware on my system that is failing, because the
> problem is duplicated with Live Puppy. I was wondering if any of you
> have any experience with
>
> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072LS4JH7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1
>

> 5Gbps USB 3.0 PCI Express Expansion Card
>
> I have purchased from Amazon and will install and see if my problem
> goes away.

The card did the trick, I tried that Crucial drive and copied 50 gb of
data with no problem. I am getting transfer speeds of ~200 mb/sec.

Worth the money to eliminate USB connectivity issues.

Re: (OT) Usb problem[Solved]

<kvm9usFjcaU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7366&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7366

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2024 15:46:35 -0800
 by: Mike Easter - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 23:46 UTC

Nic wrote:
> The card did the trick, I tried that Crucial drive and copied 50 gb of
> data with no problem. I am getting transfer speeds of ~200 mb/sec.

Good.

You never did say what this device was:

> I use it to plug into a media player connected to my tv in the bedroom.

a media player? What is that?

--
Mike Easter

Re: (OT) Usb problem[Solved]

<un56mf$3heku$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7367&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7367

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2024 21:55:12 -0500
 by: Paul - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 02:55 UTC

On 1/3/2024 6:46 PM, Mike Easter wrote:
> Nic wrote:
>> The card did the trick, I tried that Crucial drive and copied 50 gb of data with no problem. I am getting transfer speeds of ~200 mb/sec.
>
> Good.
>
> You never did say what this device was:
>
>>  I use it to plug into a media player connected to my tv in the bedroom.
>
> a media player?  What is that?

I don't think they make this particular one any more, but the
connectors on the back are a minimal set for such devices.
Could even drive an old CRT-based TV set with composite input.
The TOSLink could go to your receiver (AC3).

https://www.amazon.ca/Western-Digital-WD-Media-Player/dp/B002USAIYS

Power USB HDMI TOSLink(audio) Composite(video) L-audio R-audio
(A+V)

USB is where the USB stick with the files goes.

TOSLink is optical S'PDIF. AC3 gets a mention here (5.1). So
you could play Towering Inferno and get the sound effects perhaps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/PDIF

The audio on HDMI, can be up to 7.1 (8 channel LPCM). LPCM means
the Dolby Corporation doesn't own it :-) HDMI can be sent
to a Sound Bar as well as a TV set, for a "TV Room" with
Surround Sound. The only thing missing is Dolby ATMOS
(for a 22 channel speaker system). There would not be
enough ATMOS-encoded content around, to make the effort
worthwhile. It's a bar bet technology. You have to re-master
content, to make the result compelling.

Paul

Re: (OT) Usb problem[Solved]

<WzvlN.93694$vFZa.4422@fx13.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7368&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7368

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 05:16:22 -0500
 by: Nic - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 10:16 UTC

On 1/3/24 6:46 PM, Mike Easter wrote:
> Nic wrote:
>> The card did the trick, I tried that Crucial drive and copied 50 gb
>> of data with no problem. I am getting transfer speeds of ~200 mb/sec.
>
> Good.
>
> You never did say what this device was:
>
>>  I use it to plug into a media player connected to my tv in the bedroom.
>
> a media player?  What is that?

See the link
https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=media+player+for+tv&i=electronics&crid=1EQ1H3IJZVW0L&sprefix=Media+Player+%2Celectronics%2C160&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_2_13

It is a small electronic device that can send media (mp4, mp3, avi,
jpg...) to a tv via HDMI. It plays the media on your tv in stereo or
what ever your tv is setup for ..Dolby..

The media can be stored on USB drives (formatted as NTFS,FAT32,EXFAT)
or those small storage cards. The newer media boxes can browse through 8
GB of media.

Re: (OT) Usb problem[Solved]

<4EwlN.28219$m4d.13604@fx43.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7369&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7369

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 06:29:04 -0500
 by: Nic - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 11:29 UTC

On 1/4/24 5:16 AM, Nic wrote:
> On 1/3/24 6:46 PM, Mike Easter wrote:
>> Nic wrote:
>>> The card did the trick, I tried that Crucial drive and copied 50 gb
>>> of data with no problem. I am getting transfer speeds of ~200 mb/sec.
>>
>> Good.
>>
>> You never did say what this device was:
>>
>>>  I use it to plug into a media player connected to my tv in the
>>> bedroom.
>>
>> a media player?  What is that?
>>

> See the link
> https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=media+player+for+tv&i=electronics&crid=1EQ1H3IJZVW0L&sprefix=Media+Player+%2Celectronics%2C160&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_2_13
>
> It is a small electronic device that can send media (mp4, mp3, avi,
> jpg...) to a tv via HDMI. It plays the media on your tv in stereo or
> what ever your tv is setup for ..Dolby..
>
> The media can be stored on USB drives (formatted as NTFS,FAT32,EXFAT)
> or those small storage cards. The newer media boxes can browse through
> 8 GB of media.

I meant to say 8 TB of media.

Re: (OT) Usb problem[Solved]

<ungcpj$1fl3f$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7390&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7390

From: nom...@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2024 09:46:42 +0100
 by: Edmund - Mon, 8 Jan 2024 08:46 UTC

On 1/3/24 22:19, Nic wrote:
> On 12/27/23 11:28 AM, Nic wrote:
>> I recently purchased a 2TB external Crucial Usb drive. It came
>> formatted ex-fat. I use it to plug into a media player connected to my
>> tv in the bedroom. The problem I am having is a major loss of usb in
>> the middle of a 8-10gb file transfer (copy to) from the primary drive
>> to the Crucial drive. What occurs is a complete loss of usb, that
>> includes the mouse. My system eventually has to be rebooted. In order
>> to do this I have to interrupt the power to the system. After that the
>> system will not boot. I have been able to use a live Puppy on a thumb
>> drive and use the GParted to Check (fsck) the primary drive, which has
>> errors. After the scan the system boots up fine. I have determined
>> that is the usb hardware on my system that is failing, because the
>> problem is duplicated with Live Puppy. I was wondering if any of you
>> have any experience with
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072LS4JH7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1
>>
>> 5Gbps USB 3.0 PCI Express Expansion Card
>>
>> I have purchased from Amazon and will install and see if my problem
>> goes away.
>>
> The card did the trick, I tried that Crucial drive and copied 50 gb of
> data with no problem. I am getting transfer speeds of ~200 mb/sec.
>
> Worth the money to eliminate USB connectivity issues.

After all the testing I did in the past....it might be the chipset.
Different chipsets had behaved different.

--

The moment any organization established from pure noble intentions get
some influence, it will be corrupted from both inside and outside.
Then we have organizations established from pure evil.

Edmund